Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

F1 Coverage Thread - 2013 Season (BBC and Sky)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2194 replies to this topic

#1101 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,545 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 13:44

I don't think Coulthard adds anything, particularly if Brundle is in the same room. Croft seems fine now, he's shouty(like all commentators) but at least not as bad as Edwards.

Advertisement

#1102 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 14:00

Is anyone else finding the 'Kimi's Quote of the Week' feature on Sky's "The F1 Show" actually quite shit and not in the least bit funny, or is it just me?

I think the same thing. Also because this week's was artificial, they edited it to show only a snippet of his answer to make it seem like he gave a short 'Kimi-esque' reply.

The jenga game they play with the drivers is awful as well, just so boring and repetitive. Basically the only thing they show is the tower falling down, over and over again. Next GP weekend it will be the same thing, they will show 2 drivers shifting the blocks for 30 seconds and guess what? Eventually the tower falls over :eek:

#1103 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,824 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 14:10

I don't think I've really changed my views about the BBC/Sky thing at all. There are aspects of each which I think they do better than the other.

Skypad is still great - there was a sequence where they showed Massa losing a bit of his front wing and showed the overhead footage, switched to 'virtual' to show where all the cars were in relation to wach other and then smoothly panned down to continue fron Webber's viewpoint. Gimmicky, but effective.

Simon is still not great, and really neither is Crofty which a great shame because I really rated him when he was doing the practice commentary for the BBC but he's just not translated well. That huge amount of time Sky can spend wandering the paddock means they end up getting stuff like that Whitmarsh & Button show, but it's all just far too much F1.

Overall I still much prefer the beeb commentary and punditry bits because I think the limited time makes them fill it more productively. I don't think Sky is a poor second best option when BBC doesn't have a live race, but because of the commentary it can't be my first choice.

#1104 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,268 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 14:49

Does anyone actually sit through all 90 minutes of Sky's pre-race coverage?

No, I really can't justify spending so much time watching all the before and after coverage. I generally do something around the house beforehand, then tune in for the grid walk. That way I can watch more of the generally more interesting discussion after the race and not get in trouble :p

There really isn't enough to fill the 90 minutes. The BBC sometimes struggle with the half the time, but at least then the features and interesting conversations take up a greater proportion of time so there's less "who do you think will win?" with anyone that passes.

Edited by Fastcake, 22 April 2013 - 14:49.

#1105 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,511 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 15:01

Yeah, I've been watching this stuff for 25 years but it amazes me when people want live coverage of testing, longer F1 shows etc. It's just some guys driving fast in circles, there's only so much you can say about it before it gets tedious.

#1106 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,320 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 15:15

No. I always tape it all meaning to watch it later but then I rarely bother unless there's an interview with a driver or TP that I think might be interesting. But I do the same with the BBC now when I used to watch every minute. There's just not enough content so even what little good content there is often tends to feel watered down, like they've tried to make it stretch too far.

The other thing that's discouraging continues to be that I don't think either channel quite has the balance right between the presenters drawing on their personal networks to bring the viewers informed opinion and it all sometimes frankly looking that bit too too cliquey, a bit of an Old Boys' Club. In an ideal world, the BBC and Sky should have the interests of the viewers at heart but frankly, I get the impression they just go along with whatever Bernie says out of fear. Like the old Hollywood press before 'Confidential' magazine kicked the door down. Or the Golf coverage. All that little bit too grateful they've been allowed in at all to start asking hard questions.

Edited by SophieB, 22 April 2013 - 15:21.

#1107 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,545 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 15:19

I can't see why anyone on this forum would need to switch on before the live grid walk. They don't know much more than we do merely by inhabiting this website, and it's highly unlikely that the recorded interview with Driver X is suddenly going to be different from every other one we've seen or read.

#1108 Elissa

Elissa

• 233 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 15:46

I tend to have it on in the background but I won't sit down properly until the grid walk. I think the reason it's so long is because of threads like this. Obviously Sky and the BBC keep a close eye on feedback and it wouldn't surprise me that Sky feels that they can 'win' the 'duration' battle by simply showing more pre/post race coverage.

My preferred choice of coverage at present is SSF1, there's no doubt some things the BBC do as well (and probably better in some areas) but as an 'overall package' at the moment I tune into SSF1, even during live BBC races I'll still turn over to SSF1. I used to be against the BBC coverage due to Jake, I'll save my insults but fair to say I didn't like him or the direction his presenting took it. I used to only tune in a few mins before lights out. I tend to catch the BBC coverage as a re run now or the highlights later that day. I like the BBC's new direction with their presenting team, but inspite of that they're not my first choice. Note I'm NOT saying the BBC coverage is poor or anything of the sort, I just prefer SSF1.

I mentioned this on another forum (waves to those lurking in here!) but I actually don't have much time for either Ben Edwards or David Croft, they're both far too 'shouty' for me. I don't need a commentator to tell me what I'm viewing, I have two eyes and a brain. The need for a 'lead' commentator is redundant in my home. Between the TV, laptop and it's onboard/live timing feeds, social media etc, I'm often more in-touch and abreast of what's happening than the commentary team.

I do genuinely feel sorry for the fans that have lost out and have to make do with highlights, there's no doubt to me it takes away some enjoyment. Overall there's virtually nothing to pick objectively between the broadcasters (when live), it's more the personalities which seems to create division and create constant needling of both sides. I've often said UK fans seem to have a sense of entitlement way above their station, the splitting hairs over 'which tribe' delivers the best coverage to me is fickle and pointless.

Edited by Elissa, 22 April 2013 - 15:49.

#1109 fosters35

fosters35

• 137 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 16:49

In years gone by i used to watch every second of coverage. Red button practise coverage, all the build up and afters plus F1 forum.

Now though this season i just watch 20mins before the start and often switch off even before the podium.
I have Sky but i just can't get into properly :(
The actual race is fine as are croft/brundle but the ads really kill it for me which is prob why i don't watch much build up/ post race stuff.

For example, i turned to SSF1 earlier on Sunday and i got adverts so turned over. 20 mins later i turned back again and yet again got ads so gave up until 12.40.

With Sky, things are too broken up so that excitement has prob gone for me more which is why i spend less time watching now on both BBC and Sky.
With the old BBC team before Sky, there was a warm content feeling i got :p and was quite happy settling down for several hours with a beer.
I just don't get that feeling now with either channel.

#1110 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 18:33

In years gone by i used to watch every second of coverage. Red button practise coverage, all the build up and afters plus F1 forum.

Now though this season i just watch 20mins before the start and often switch off even before the podium.
I have Sky but i just can't get into properly :(
The actual race is fine as are croft/brundle but the ads really kill it for me which is prob why i don't watch much build up/ post race stuff.

For example, i turned to SSF1 earlier on Sunday and i got adverts so turned over. 20 mins later i turned back again and yet again got ads so gave up until 12.40.

With Sky, things are too broken up so that excitement has prob gone for me more which is why i spend less time watching now on both BBC and Sky.
With the old BBC team before Sky, there was a warm content feeling i got :p and was quite happy settling down for several hours with a beer.
I just don't get that feeling now with either channel.

THIS.

But really, nowadays I just watch the 10 mins before race and after race for SKY, and only the live races for BBC. But since I don't live the the UK (so they will be from delayed sources) I can always fast forward the boring sections.  ;)

What I can be immensely thankful for is that FOX sports (I live in Singapore) has gotten rid of Steve Slater (YAY!) and although the new girl gets on my nerves at times, Alex Yoong and the occasional Karun Chandhok more than makes up for it. So my live coverage of the races is good. (Although I really rather Ben Edwards/DC than Brundle/Croft for my commentary *shrugs*).

#1111 MaccaMerc

MaccaMerc

• 22 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 18:52

I don't even watch 9 minutes of the pre-race.

...or even better, the channel showing live F1 changes, with a different host :lol:

Although saying that I think BBC's production quality of the coverage was better. Sky wins on quantity, having a dedicated F1 channel, especially the insight features done by Brundle. But on some weekends you can feel they don't quite have enough content to fill in the 90 minute pre-show and are just stretching it. Plus the post-race coverage isn't anything near BBC's.

Saying that, I think one of the common overriding objections people have with Sky is its owner Murdoch and (as a consequence) the high subscription costs, the media ethics argument etc.
Now though I think it's just as easy (if not more) to dislike BBC as an institute, seeing as they've used our money to harbour a pedophile ring, part-take in censorship, influence political agendas...and are forcing us all to pay for its service. At least Murdoch gives us a choice, if we don't want Sky we don't pay for it.

Is there any need? Really. It is ALWAYS wrong to try and blame others for the sick action's of Paedophiles. The paedos are to blame for their actions no one else.

THIS.

But really, nowadays I just watch the 10 mins before race and after race for SKY, and only the live races for BBC. But since I don't live the the UK (so they will be from delayed sources) I can always fast forward the boring sections. ;)

What I can be immensely thankful for is that FOX sports (I live in Singapore) has gotten rid of Steve Slater (YAY!) and although the new girl gets on my nerves at times, Alex Yoong and the occasional Karun Chandhok more than makes up for it. So my live coverage of the races is good. (Although I really rather Ben Edwards/DC than Brundle/Croft for my commentary *shrugs*).

With the BBC coverage I can still watch every programmes from start to finish, even the forum. I used to even get up for the start of the programming on the early races.
But I cannot stand any of the Sky Sports build-up, and just switch on for the 5 minute sting, I usually leave the pre-race programming on for a bit, until I get annoyed with the idiots and adverts. Except for this Sunday when I switched it over straight away, watched the BTCC race that I recorded during the race itself, and watched the over races on ITV4 after that.

#1112 Ellios

Ellios

• 1,204 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 19:11

As sad as it may seem, I liked the 'Last of the Summer Wine' 2011 from the BBC, it was pretty slick, amusing and informative (as far as you'd ever get from mainstream channel) I also liked MB and DC on commentary duty

I've tried SKY, it's OK but not very memorable. Croft is rubbish, so is Lazenby, I have more time for Herbert n Hill & Brundle, the SKYPAD? with Davidson is occasionally brilliant

I've watched Suzi Perry for years doing MotoGP and she'll be just fine for BBC F1

however, these days I turn on for the grid walk and race then I'm done - everything else I can catch up on Autosport and various media outlets later in the day/evening

#1113 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,172 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 19:43

Not sad or unusual at all, simply the nature of the information age. Sky have simply hours of coverage, even it's own channel. But too much information, and you'll quickly lose attention span.

#1114 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,075 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 21:09

Yes! From intro to end :)

(although I usually have a games console running at the time so I can ignore the Di Resta..uh I mean boring bits ;))

Edited by Longtimefan, 22 April 2013 - 21:13.

#1115 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 21:36

I watched the whole of the bulid up on Sunday. Only because I was too hung over to move. Didn't take any of it in apart for
simulator bit.

#1116 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,791 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 23:33

I mentioned this on another forum (waves to those lurking in here!) but I actually don't have much time for either Ben Edwards or David Croft, they're both far too 'shouty' for me. I don't need a commentator to tell me what I'm viewing, I have two eyes and a brain. The need for a 'lead' commentator is redundant in my home. Between the TV, laptop and it's onboard/live timing feeds, social media etc, I'm often more in-touch and abreast of what's happening than the commentary team.

That's interesting, as I'm almost completely the opposite. I tried watching the normal coverage with live timing a few years ago when it first became available, and I found it redundant due to the amount of information already available on the world feed, and also annoying due to the slight discrepancy between the two feeds. It would certainly have been more useful in previous years when much less information was on display, the TV direction had the nasty habit of following the leader around regardless of what was happening further back, and the commentators not picking up on much that was happening off-screen, but I find it unnecessary in the improved production standards of contemporary F1 (exceptiong practice sessions, which are altogether different). I would find having multiple channels playing at once, whilst keeping abreast of social media updates, to be a case of complete information overload.

Regarding commentators, I am fully capable of watching a race on mute or in a foreign language that I don't understand (as has unfortunately happened on a couple of occasions) and understanding what is going on (although I always miss the pit-lane reporters more than anything), but I think having two commentators with a good working relationship definitely enhances my viewing experience. I think this is due to (a) a general desire to hear other peoples' opinions on what is happening; (b) the chance to pick up on the odd things that I miss (conversely, when I notice something that the commentators don't pick up upon, and seeing how long it takes them to notice, which is fun as long as it doesn't happen that often); and © the emotional effect of a commentator getting excited about what is happening and my empathetic reaction (I should mention that I've never had a problem with a commentator being "shouty", as long as the emotion is genuine and the level of excitement appropriate to what is happening (thus Murray Walker and Ben Edwards = good; James Allen trying to imitate Walker's start-line commentary = not so good). The only commentator who has actually annoyed me to a level at which I felt he was detracting from the overall experience was Jonathan Legard, partly for the inappropriate "shoutiness" mentioned above, but mainly because he did not seem to be able to read a race or work effectively with his colour commentator.

#1117 Elissa

Elissa

• 233 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 00:05

That's interesting, as I'm almost completely the opposite. I tried watching the normal coverage with live timing a few years ago when it first became available, and I found it redundant due to the amount of information already available on the world feed, and also annoying due to the slight discrepancy between the two feeds. It would certainly have been more useful in previous years when much less information was on display, the TV direction had the nasty habit of following the leader around regardless of what was happening further back, and the commentators not picking up on much that was happening off-screen, but I find it unnecessary in the improved production standards of contemporary F1 (exceptiong practice sessions, which are altogether different). I would find having multiple channels playing at once, whilst keeping abreast of social media updates, to be a case of complete information overload.

Regarding commentators, I am fully capable of watching a race on mute or in a foreign language that I don't understand (as has unfortunately happened on a couple of occasions) and understanding what is going on (although I always miss the pit-lane reporters more than anything), but I think having two commentators with a good working relationship definitely enhances my viewing experience. I think this is due to (a) a general desire to hear other peoples' opinions on what is happening; (b) the chance to pick up on the odd things that I miss (conversely, when I notice something that the commentators don't pick up upon, and seeing how long it takes them to notice, which is fun as long as it doesn't happen that often); and © the emotional effect of a commentator getting excited about what is happening and my empathetic reaction (I should mention that I've never had a problem with a commentator being "shouty", as long as the emotion is genuine and the level of excitement appropriate to what is happening (thus Murray Walker and Ben Edwards = good; James Allen trying to imitate Walker's start-line commentary = not so good). The only commentator who has actually annoyed me to a level at which I felt he was detracting from the overall experience was Jonathan Legard, partly for the inappropriate "shoutiness" mentioned above, but mainly because he did not seem to be able to read a race or work effectively with his colour commentator.

All very fair stuff :-)

I agree re the sync issues with live timing, it's improved recently but live timing tends to be approx 2-4 secs ahead, not so much an issue during the race, but in qualifying it does ruin the final dash for the line and I often look away at that point! The main feed information is very good these days, I suppose I like to look instantly at live timing and not wait a few seconds for the info to scroll round on the main feed. You certainly won't lose out following just the main feed, but I do like the ease of access to more in-depth lap data instantaneously. I think the worst sync'd application is the driver tracker, by the end of the race it can be up to 30 secs behind. I don't understand why the driver tracker can't auto refresh every 10 mins and pull itself back into an acceptable sync.

Interesting point re information overload, it can feel like that if you have a cluttered screen etc. I suppose I'm quite lucky in that we have a second large plasma tv we plug the laptop into. I tend to run just the main feed through our main tv, and then via the laptop (thus on the other tv) live timing, pit channel, onboard or driver tracker. Social media isn't (imo) that important during the race, I'll follow the odd comment or two on here but it's mainly for twitter updates, that's all directed through my phone. I find the social media far more interesting during practice sessions as teams tend to give better info, during the race it's fairly generic inane updates from them.

Commentators is an odd with me, I agree for the need for two commentators minimum during a race. I would ideally prefer to listen to two 'colour' commentators, but fully understand the need for someone more general to convey the information to everyone. I appreciate they're building tension and very much into it, I'm sure some our comments at home wouldn't be suited for broadcast in a moment of excitement and I couldn't do what they do.

There was comments early regarding overkill in build up etc, I think for people on these boards that's kind of a given. Your average F1 fan doesn't follow the detail like we do in here and in reality it's probably pitched just right. When I think of coverage only 5 years ago the difference is virtually immeasurable. Aside from the politics and frustrations of FTA vs paywall I think we've never such a good quality of coverage. The presenters and flashy intros are effectively garnish compared to the main dish of the race :cool:

Edited by Elissa, 23 April 2013 - 00:09.

#1118 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,511 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:02

I've tried watching a few races with live timing but I find it kills the excitement for me. If someone's coming through the grid I can just look at their pace and see where they'll probably end up, without timing you can enjoy the 'will they won't they' drama of hoping for a podium or win.

#1119 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,453 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:05

I've tried watching a few races with live timing but I find it kills the excitement for me. If someone's coming through the grid I can just look at their pace and see where they'll probably end up, without timing you can enjoy the 'will they won't they' drama of hoping for a podium or win.

I like live timing because you can see someone coming from the back which the TV broadcast often doesn't pick up as they are concentrating on the front runners.

Advertisement

#1120 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,878 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:25

Yes! From intro to end :)

(although I usually have a games console running at the time so I can ignore the Di Resta..uh I mean boring bits ;))

Dull-Resta?

I did watch most of the pre-show stuff last season but have had to Sky+ all the races so far this one and ultimately, have found myself fast-forwarding to the grid walk and then fast forwarding further to the parade lap.

With the European season starting though, I'll almost certainly end up watching from 11.30 until well after the GP ends. Same with when it is on the BBC.

#1121 Haribo

Haribo

• 715 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 14:00

I feel totally out of sorts if I don't have my laptop with me running live timing when a race is on. I did the London Marathon on Sunday so missed the race, so recorded it on SKY+ and watched it at my parents house afterwards. Without the live timing for instance, I couldn't really comprehend from the TV feed how Grosjean got up to third for instance. Also, I like looking at the pace of drivers who had problems at the start and are out of position - like Sutil last week. Since they're a lap down or so, the TV feed ignores them, but I like to find out what they're upto

#1122 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 766 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 14:45

I feel totally out of sorts if I don't have my laptop with me running live timing when a race is on. I did the London Marathon on Sunday so missed the race, so recorded it on SKY+ and watched it at my parents house afterwards. Without the live timing for instance, I couldn't really comprehend from the TV feed how Grosjean got up to third for instance. Also, I like looking at the pace of drivers who had problems at the start and are out of position - like Sutil last week. Since they're a lap down or so, the TV feed ignores them, but I like to find out what they're upto

Live timing seems delayed though

#1123 MaccaMerc

MaccaMerc

• 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 15:27

Live timing seems delayed though

If you watch it with Sky Go they might just sync up. Both are woefully delayed. Especially Sky Go, even the dodgy Sky Sports streams are ahead of it.

#1124 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 15:45

Anyone seen this on the BBC? - http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-22218163

My god the guy is totally clueless, I was cringing like crazy, I doubt he's ever even seen a race. lol

although in a way its sad, a clueless person like that gets a go in the Ferrari sim and most if not all of us here would simply love the chance to drive it. :(

It was painful and like you say typical that when we finally get more on the simulators it's waisted like that. I mean how about talking about the simulator and not your hopeless driving? We didn't even learn the number of axis, only that there's a big yellow knob in the middle of the steering wheel, jeez.

#1125 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 9,035 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:39

I prefered the BBC commentary as they seemed to focus pretty much exclusively on what was happening on track with the racing and strategies.

#1126 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,785 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:15

It was painful and like you say typical that when we finally get more on the simulators it's waisted like that. I mean how about talking about the simulator and not your hopeless driving? We didn't even learn the number of axis, only that there's a big yellow knob in the middle of the steering wheel, jeez.

I assume it was for a news program - 99.999% of the viewers would not have a clue what an 'axis' was, let alone how many would be relavent.

#1127 smitten

smitten

• 1,447 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:18

I assume it was for a news program - 99.999% of the viewers would not have a clue what an 'axis' was, let alone how many would be relavent.

True. But Westcott is a gurning brain-donor at the best of times.

#1128 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,545 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:28

The Sky version wasn't much better.

#1129 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 16:12

Thats not the ferrari simulator anyway. It's just something alonso had rigged up for his home and they made a copy for shows and gp's.

#1130 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 766 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 21:11

Did i just see right, Skysports for 24 hours - £9.99 :rotfl:

Good luck with that

#1131 pdac

pdac

• 942 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 21:21

Did i just see right, Skysports for 24 hours - £9.99 :rotfl:

Good luck with that

Actually it's from Now TV (http://www.nowtv.com/sports) - I guess they are trying to fill a gap that Sky might have left and think they have a chance of making some money on the back of them.

#1132 FredF1

FredF1

• 1,981 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:49

Actually it's from Now TV (http://www.nowtv.com/sports) - I guess they are trying to fill a gap that Sky might have left and think they have a chance of making some money on the back of them.

Their forum doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

http://community.now...ion/bd-p/sports

#1133 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 760 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:19

I prefered the BBC commentary as they seemed to focus pretty much exclusively on what was happening on track with the racing and strategies.

As opposed to what exactly? :drunk:

#1134 tomjol

tomjol

• 124 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:24

Now TV is a Sky product.

#1135 MaccaMerc

MaccaMerc

• 22 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 13:43

Now TV is basically just the Sky Go product for non-Sky customers.

It is a rip-off at £9.99 for 24 hours access though, I thought that £35 for a Sky Go monthly ticket that included Sky Sports was bad, but this takes the pee.

#1136 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 9,035 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 18:06

As opposed to what exactly? :drunk:

I felt the Sky commentary was rather retrospective, as in the foundation of commentary was to a large degree based upon the after effects of whatever action had occurred, including theories as to why, when and how. It seemed too filler orientated to me.

#1137 JonathanProc

JonathanProc

• 266 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 18:20

I felt the Sky commentary was rather retrospective, as in the foundation of commentary was to a large degree based upon the after effects of whatever action had occurred, including theories as to why, when and how. It seemed too filler orientated to me.

Well I prefer to hear their views on why they think a drivers acted in the way they did (Brundle being an ex-driver usually explains it well) rather than them rambling on about something that I can clearly see in front of me. If they were radio commentators I'd agree with you...but they're not, they comment on what is happening on TV. I can see the rest for myself!

#1138 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,791 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 21:02

Just a heads up: Lewis Hamilton is appearing on The Graham Norton Show in half an hour's time on BBC One.

#1139 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,459 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 21:44

Started if anyone's watching :)

Advertisement

#1140 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 9,035 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:35

Well I prefer to hear their views on why they think a drivers acted in the way they did (Brundle being an ex-driver usually explains it well) rather than them rambling on about something that I can clearly see in front of me. If they were radio commentators I'd agree with you...but they're not, they comment on what is happening on TV. I can see the rest for myself!

Definitely and I understand what you mean about being about to see certain things for yourself, I just think the BBC offered a better blend between both methods.

#1141 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 20:08

Some good stuff coming up on sky this weekend and next week. Looking at the guide, they have classic races from the 1983 season, and also classic spanish grand prix from 1986, 1991, 1994 and 1996. I wonder what other classic grand prix they will show for Spain (there really haven't been too many classics).

#1142 Les

Les

• 2,069 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 20:18

Some good stuff coming up on sky this weekend and next week. Looking at the guide, they have classic races from the 1983 season, and also classic spanish grand prix from 1986, 1991, 1994 and 1996. I wonder what other classic grand prix they will show for Spain (there really haven't been too many classics).

Ooh 86 and 91. That's exciting.

#1143 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,174 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:02

*cough*does anyone know where i can -buy- the f1 show from this weekend*cough*

#1144 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:26

They showed the 2011 race yesterday. Didn't realise how crazy the crowd went after Alonso made his mega start.

#1145 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,075 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 15:25

Just watched the BBC news, F1 got a 20 second mention in the sports section.

'Sebastian Vettel was fastest in practice today, Lewis Hamilton was 6th'

Uh.. I'm puzzled why they mentioned Lewis? Because he's British? Hmmm nahh, they didnt mention Button, Di Resta or Chilton.

#1146 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,320 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 15:30

Highest placed British driver.

#1147 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:42

Is there an echo in here?

#1148 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,986 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:56

Just watched the BBC news, F1 got a 20 second mention in the sports section.

'Sebastian Vettel was fastest in practice today, Lewis Hamilton was 6th'

Uh.. I'm puzzled why they mentioned Lewis? Because he's British? Hmmm nahh, they didnt mention Button, Di Resta or Chilton.

Isn't it obvious? Hamilton is the most popular and succesful of them.

#1149 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 17:01

Is there an echo in here?

:D :lol:

#1150 djparky

djparky

• 170 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 20:37

yeah have been watching the 1983 races- with the classic "stop the start watch" commentary from M Walker (at least I'm sure that's what he said) for a pit stop at the Brazil GP- fabulous stuff

they seem to be doing all the 1983 races- hopefully they'll also show 1980, 81 and 82 as well