Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

F1 Coverage Thread - 2013 Season (BBC and Sky)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2194 replies to this topic

#1551 Absulute

Absulute

• 882 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:48

Jamie Redknapp proving just how ******** stupid he really is.

'Mark... umm...Mark... Umm... Jenson Button'

:rolleyes:

The guy has nothing interesting to say about football, so it was a stretch that he was ever going to have anything to say about F1.

Advertisement

#1552 Pingu Pi

Pingu Pi

• 1,719 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:12

'Mark... umm...Mark... Umm... Jenson Button'

:rolleyes:

The guy has nothing interesting to say about football, so it was a stretch that he was ever going to have anything to say about F1.

I genuinely can't stand the man, mediocre footballer and even worse pundit, he actually has no idea about anything, he's a complete simpleton, he's literally no better than the stars of crap like The Only Way Is Essexs and Made In Chelsea, everything that is wrong with the popular media.

#1553 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,956 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:37

Cringeworthy stuff.

Watched BBC mainly this weekend. The features were good but Suzi Perry just doesn't know what she is doing in this arena. The whole thing just looks horribly awkward.

#1554 FredF1

FredF1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:41

More of an FOM issue really I suppose but...

While watching coverage of the Tour de France, they can show near-instantaneous replays of incidents on an open road course stretching over hundreds of kilometres. Yet, F1 can't manage to find any replays of some incidents on a closed circuit which is completely covered by cameras let alone come up with them in a relatively short period of time.

#1555 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 3,056 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:45

I liked the gridwalk on the beeb, the way they handed over to each other. Needs improvements to make it slicker, but I was impressed.

#1556 fred54

fred54

• 192 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:59

More of an FOM issue really I suppose but...

While watching coverage of the Tour de France, they can show near-instantaneous replays of incidents on an open road course stretching over hundreds of kilometres. Yet, F1 can't manage to find any replays of some incidents on a closed circuit which is completely covered by cameras let alone come up with them in a relatively short period of time.

Also while we are at it, did we really need lots of non racing coverage (such as Grosjean's car being backed into the garage) when there was half a dozen battles going on after the final restart? A few seconds would have sufficed, just to give Grosjean's 2 fans an insight into why he wasn't on track anymore.

#1557 DS27

DS27

• 1,141 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 18:14

I don't want to see ***** like him on my tv. To think simpletons like him get to walk the grid while having no appreciation of the sport (though he knows there's a driver called Mark...) is sickening. Even if we can't get these people of the grid, please don't make it worse by interviewing them - I don't care what they think or have to say!

Oh god, I forgot, lets ask Geri Haliwell her opinion as well.....Maybe her and Jamie can get together and solve world famine.

Edited by DS27, 30 June 2013 - 18:18.

#1558 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 18:19

I don't want to see ***** like him on my tv. To think simpletons like him get to walk the grid while having no appreciation of the sport (though he knows there's a driver called Mark...) is sickening. Even if we can't get these people of the grid, please don't make it worse by interviewing them - I don't care what they think or have to say!

Oh god, lets ask Geri Haliwell her opinion as well.....

You could tell it was an attempt to show her up, and it seemed to work rather well. I did cringe when she said: "Oh look! There's someone from Red Bull!" when referring to Christian Horner.

#1559 grandmastashi

grandmastashi

• 194 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:10

More of a gripe with the world feed, but just to say I thought the coverage of the last lap yesterday was absolutely terrible. You've got Webber reeling in Rosberg, so the director cuts away to a shot of the pits and something going on further down the field... it may just be me but I think the leader should be the focus of the last lap unless something completely dramatic happens elsewhere

First British GP i've watched on TV for years as I've been there most of the time during that period. Thought the coverage from BBC on the whole was good, especially their pre recorded features. I've been happy to give Suzi the benefit of the doubt up until now, but this weekend the amount she stumbles over her words has really started to become a noticeable to me. I thought it was very interesting how quickly she suddenly improved though when talking to Cal Crutchlow, almost as is she was back in her Moto GP comfort zone again.

Advertisement

#1560 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 770 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:51

Jamie Redknapp, the dog from the spice girls, that bloke with the gold teeth. :rolleyes:

Add that to the fact watching Lewis chasing Alonso and they cut to 1st lap nutcase Grosjean being wheeled into the pits - not Sky or BBC of course but the director of the FOM Feed needs to step it up.

#1561 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,860 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 13:13

Cutting to Grosjean was a few frames, it wasn't an issue. Doing the onboard of Hamilton was the greater crime. There was just as much chance of Webber having a lunge at Rosberg as Hamilton on Alonso.

#1562 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 212 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:07

Whenever the Beeb aren't live I watch sky, and recently I've been warming to them and thinking that they're now just as good as the BBC. Then the BBC come along with their live coverage and once again, I end up thinking that BBC are just that little bit better than Sky. Really warming to Suzi and Gary, EJ is always a good watch and Ben & DC in the commentary are peerless

#1563 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 878 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:27

On the FOM topic, why can't they show the start from the heli-cam, makes things much clearer - it was clear there had been contact in the mid-field but all we got to see were the leaders rounding the loop. (Then again MotoGP are just as bad with their annoying 'zoom in to the starting grid' shot they have started using).

Agreed with the random shots of Perez in the garage during the latter stages of the race. Why do we need to see them?

#1564 smitten

smitten

• 1,452 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:43

On the FOM topic, why can't they show the start from the heli-cam, makes things much clearer

Because the sponsors names are predominately on the sides of the cars!

#1565 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,956 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 16:03

Jamie Redknapp, the dog from the spice girls, that bloke with the gold teeth. :rolleyes:

Add that to the fact watching Lewis chasing Alonso and they cut to 1st lap nutcase Grosjean being wheeled into the pits - not Sky or BBC of course but the director of the FOM Feed needs to step it up.

For all of about one second.

I take your point but it wasn't a big deal.

#1566 froggy22

froggy22

• 804 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 16:12

More of a gripe with the world feed, but just to say I thought the coverage of the last lap yesterday was absolutely terrible. You've got Webber reeling in Rosberg, so the director cuts away to a shot of the pits and something going on further down the field... it may just be me but I think the leader should be the focus of the last lap unless something completely dramatic happens elsewhere

First British GP i've watched on TV for years as I've been there most of the time during that period. Thought the coverage from BBC on the whole was good, especially their pre recorded features. I've been happy to give Suzi the benefit of the doubt up until now, but this weekend the amount she stumbles over her words has really started to become a noticeable to me. I thought it was very interesting how quickly she suddenly improved though when talking to Cal Crutchlow, almost as is she was back in her Moto GP comfort zone again.

I noticed that too, she was so comfortable talking to him then as soon as she had to turn back to talk to Gary, she became a bit awkward again. I like Suzi and she can present a program well, i think she just needs a bit more time

#1567 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 16:38

classic races for germany - 93, 00, 05 and 11.

#1568 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 16:59

Another small gripe, again with FOM. Perhaps i'm naive for not appreciating just how sponsor centric the camera angles have become but the new angle at Luffield added little to nothing to the viewing experience.... other than a nice, head on view of "FLY EMIRATES" written into the grass and the brilliance of the Maggots/Becketts complex is wasted with FOM's camera choice, i wish they had the camera position at the start of the complex facing away from oncoming traffic, rather than a head on view that kills any sense of speed.

Probably for another thread but had to be said! :p

#1569 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,956 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:57

classic races for germany - 93, 00, 05 and 11.

Good choice. It'll be good to see the 2011 race again, even though I was thoroughly disappointed at the end of it!

#1570 Dunc

Dunc

• 477 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 13:51

I've been thinking for years that Brundle isn't that well liked anymore by a lot of people on the grid. I remember even in hit latter days at ITV a lot of the drivers wouldn't speak to him. Could explain why he ends up interviewing so many 'slebs'.

DC seems to be getting on better at the moment but I also liked him doing it with Suzi and Eddie (so to speak!). As someone else has said, it needs refined but there's some potential there.

I agree that Suzi fumbles her lines a bit too much but I do think she should be given the chance to improve. This was only her third live broadcast (I think!) after all. I remember when the BBC first got F1 coverage back in 2009 that Jake Humphrey, EJ and DC all took a while to warm into their rolls, and gel as a team. F1 on the BBC was getting a bit laddy and Top Gearish with the old trio, something which I see decreasing a little with her at the helm.

Edited by Dunc, 02 July 2013 - 15:16.

#1571 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 5,361 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 14:10

I noticed the Suzi/Crutchlow thing, I felt bad for her because it was painfully obvious. She stumbles over her words and her cut off lines to sessions are horrendous. ITV for me always did the best VTs and neither Sky or BBC come close. I prefer Sky simply for Brundle and Kravitz -hes so accessible to the average viewer and his passion shines through. I like Croft but he makes so many mistakes. Mistaking Vergne for Riccardo was painful.

Edited by TomNokoe, 02 July 2013 - 14:10.

#1572 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 14:18

I've been thinking for years that Brundle isn't that well liked anymore by a lot of people on the grid. I remember even in hit latter days at ITV a lot of the drivers wouldn't speak to him. Could explain why he ends up interviewing so many 'slebs'.

DC seems to be getting on better at the moment but I also liked him doing it with Suzi and Eddie (so to speak!). As someone else has said, it needs refined but there's some potential there.

I agree that Suzi fumbles her lines a bit too much but I do think she should be given the chance to improve. This was only her third live broadcast (I think!) after all. I remember when the BBC first got F1 coverage back that Jake Humphrey, EJ and DC all took a while to warm into their rolls, and gel as a team. F1 on the BBC was getting a bit laddy and Top Gearish with the old trio, something which I see decreasing a little with her at the helm.

I cannot say for all the other drivers, but ever since Brundle joined Sky Sports, Sebastian Vettel has been rather cool with Brundle's grid interviews, when they used to joke about in the past. This might not have anything to do with Brundle personally, but instead due to Sebastian's particular preference for the BBC (DC and Lee can both get very animated interviews from Sebastian). In any case, I do agree that some shine seems to be missing from Brundle's grid walk nowadays with driver interviews being fewer.

#1573 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,860 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 15:16

Let's see...

Coulthard and McKenzie work for Red Bull, does Brundle ever?

#1574 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,686 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 15:20

I didn't know McKenzie was on the RB payroll as well.

#1575 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 15:32

Let's see...

I wouldn't know, but before Brundle switched to Sky, Sebastian was joking with Brundle on the grid walk just as often as he does with everyone else (on BBC). But ever since the Sky/BBC deal, Sebastian would often give his longer/more entertaining interviews to BBC, and when Brundle tried cutting in on DC once (because Sky was live and BBC wasn't) Sebastian refused to budge, answering DC's questions before he answered Brundle's. So I suspect it has something more to do with liking BBC and not Sky (and maybe even a little of not liking Brundle as much since he jumped ship).

#1576 plumtree

plumtree

• 712 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 15:47

Let's see...

Does she though? Other than the last open house event (likewise Pinkham at McLaren launch show, Brundle at Red Bull's, Slater at Lotus' and so on) I don't remember she's done any work with Red Bull exclusively.

Edited by plumtree, 02 July 2013 - 15:54.

#1577 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,860 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 15:52

I didn't know McKenzie was on the RB payroll as well.

I doubt she does those PR jobs for free. All credit to her fairness though, she'll work for any of them.

#1578 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 15:56

I doubt she does those PR jobs for free. All credit to her fairness though, she'll work for any of them.

Well, in that case, as plumtree has mentioned, Martin Brundle had done Red Bull events as well (even teamed up with Sebastian to compete against Horner in some Casio event back in 2011), so I am pretty sure Sebastian's attitude has nothing to do with Red Bull branding.

#1579 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,860 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 16:16

Yeah but Coulthard is much more of the Red Bull family, so if Vettel was going to favour one broadcaster over another(even subconsciously) it's easy to guess who it would be.

Advertisement

#1580 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,863 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 20:40

Allan McNish just had a 35-minute slot on Radio Le Mans right now... he might already be of great value to 5Live now, but when he actually completely retires from racing, there's going to be people tripping over each other to secure his services as a motorsport (not just F1) analyst and commentator IMHO.

#1581 Owen

Owen

• 10,769 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 21:02

Lee McKenzie launched the McLaren P1 with Ron Dennis. I don't think she has any specific ties to any team tbh.

Edited by Owen, 03 July 2013 - 21:30.

#1582 OO7

OO7

• 9,379 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 21:06

Allan McNish just had a 35-minute slot on Radio Le Mans right now... he might already be of great value to 5Live now, but when he actually completely retires from racing, there's going to be people tripping over each other to secure his services as a motorsport (not just F1) analyst and commentator IMHO.

Word.

#1583 michal2009b

michal2009b

• 86 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 22:33

F1 coverage in the UK is fantastic compared to Poland, where I live.

Some examples:
TR to FA in Spain 2011: "Safety car window is open" and the translation: "Safety car's window is open" Maybe it was too hot in the car and Maylander opted to open his window, who knows...

Half a race talking about Jessica, Nicole and many more...

When "X is faster than Y" is heard, there is laugh and famous comment: "You know what that means"

Of course they don't know what's going on the racetrack :) Even Legard is great compared to Polish commentators (Borowczyk, Kochanski - did you hear about them?)

#1584 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 791 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 22:35

Some examples:
TR to FA in Spain 2011: "Safety car window is open" and the translation: "Safety car's window is open" Maybe it was too hot in the car and Maylander opted to open his window, who knows...

LMFAO :rotfl: :clap:

#1585 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:25

He was fantastic in the 5Live/RLM Le Mans preview, always seems to be able to easily talk and explain things simply and concisely.

He's not bad at prerecords either

#1586 Roscoe

Roscoe

• 122 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:00

I think people forget how good we have it here really. We have a choice of 2 channels (I know BBC isn't live half the time before anyone goes mental), both who show practice sessions, qualifying and the race commercial free. If you don't like the pre & post race stuff, don't watch it! It amazes me how many people trash the VT/interview/fluff pieces constantly and then still watch it every single week. If you know you're going to hate it, just turn on 5 minutes before the session/race starts.

Compared to most other places in the world, our coverage is excellent.

#1587 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 113 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:24

I think people forget how good we have it here really. We have a choice of 2 channels (I know BBC isn't live half the time before anyone goes mental), both who show practice sessions, qualifying and the race commercial free. If you don't like the pre & post race stuff, don't watch it! It amazes me how many people trash the VT/interview/fluff pieces constantly and then still watch it every single week. If you know you're going to hate it, just turn on 5 minutes before the session/race starts.

Compared to most other places in the world, our coverage is excellent.

Thank you !
try Dutch TV, no enthousiasm, always the same comments (Sutil and his glass incident), allways talking about what happened in previous races, missing important moments, never any info on laptimes etc.
I watch the BBC whenever possible

#1588 Kristian

Kristian

• 825 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 13:06

I cannot say for all the other drivers, but ever since Brundle joined Sky Sports, Sebastian Vettel has been rather cool with Brundle's grid interviews, when they used to joke about in the past. This might not have anything to do with Brundle personally, but instead due to Sebastian's particular preference for the BBC (DC and Lee can both get very animated interviews from Sebastian). In any case, I do agree that some shine seems to be missing from Brundle's grid walk nowadays with driver interviews being fewer.

Also in the old days, Brundle was the only person doing a gridwalk - now all the major networks do it. There's only so many times a driver can talk to a journalist on the grid, and we've seen now many of them needing to be 'pre-booked', so that has kind of killed off the spontaneity it used to have.

#1589 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 400 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 14:30

Also in the old days, Brundle was the only person doing a gridwalk - now all the major networks do it. There's only so many times a driver can talk to a journalist on the grid, and we've seen now many of them needing to be 'pre-booked', so that has kind of killed off the spontaneity it used to have.

Indeed. I doubt the drivers enjoy having two broadcasters from the same country, as well. Must be a bit annoying having so many people want to speak to them when they just want to focus. When it was one or two, fine, but they must have 10+ these days.

#1590 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 638 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 15:01

Lee McKenzie launched the McLaren P1 with Ron Dennis. I don't think she has any specific ties to any team tbh.

thinking about it, i suspect one of the reasons lee didn't want/get the main presenter gig is that she would have almost certainly had to give up her corporate ties and managerial duties. the bbc have strict rules about that kind of thing. especially if you are to be the face of F1 at the bbc. too prominent and could be accused of favoritism and all kinds of nonsense.

#1591 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 791 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 16:00

thinking about it, i suspect one of the reasons lee didn't want/get the main presenter gig is that she would have almost certainly had to give up her corporate ties and managerial duties. the bbc have strict rules about that kind of thing. especially if you are to be the face of F1 at the bbc. too prominent and could be accused of favoritism and all kinds of nonsense.

They didn't stop DC working for Red Bull and Mercedes.

#1592 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,956 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 16:04

DC!

#1593 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,860 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 16:41

DC!

Or Humphrey doing things.

#1594 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 638 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 17:11

maybe DC is on a freelance contract. maybe lee is too. what exclusive work did jake do? i don't think he did any work with just one team, just presenting awards. etc

#1595 smitten

smitten

• 1,452 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 17:18

If you know you're going to hate it, just turn on 5 minutes before the session/race starts.

And where would the fun be in that?

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells :rotfl:

#1596 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,860 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 17:32

maybe DC is on a freelance contract. maybe lee is too. what exclusive work did jake do? i don't think he did any work with just one team, just presenting awards. etc

I remember him doing at least something for Lotus(the green Fernandes ones) but most BBC people you see on TV aren't employees, they're contractors. So they get to do all sorts of stuff. Like minimize their tax for a start...

#1597 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,712 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:04

Sky News leading sports story?
No, not the tennis...

Jp

#1598 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:28

Sky with two screens once again, pretty much the whole screen filled with red shit.

#1599 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,913 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:35

Sky with two screens once again, pretty much the whole screen filled with red shit.

Glad I'm listening to it the 'wireless' - much better pictures :)

Edit - especially at the end of FP1 - GA from the pits saying he's is confronted by a line of 'Ferrari bums' as he tries to get a look at the car.

Edited by ExFlagMan, 05 July 2013 - 09:37.

Advertisement

#1600 D A

D A

• 888 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:04

That Pirelli intro on Sky was terrible.