Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

F1 Coverage Thread - 2013 Season (BBC and Sky)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2194 replies to this topic

#2101 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,867 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:31

Quite frankly I find it insulting. 

Edited highlights are no use to me whatsoever, I want to see ALL of the race or none of it.

To be honest I would prefer the BBC show the whole season, all the races and all the practice sessions, but if thats not possible I'd prefer they just walked away from F1 entirely rather than showing some live and some heavily edited.

Would they get away with showing half a football season live and half in heavily edited highlights?  no.. there would be an uproar by the knuckle dragging football fans.

But I guess the BBC need to save their money for more lowest common denominator reality trash and for paying back handers to BBC staff :rolleyes:

1) Easily solved - don't watch

2) The BBC's coverage of League football has been via edited highlights in Match of the Day for years - and much more heavily edited than the F1 race highlights

Advertisement

#2102 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,225 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:35

Edited highlights are no use to me whatsoever, I want to see ALL of the race or none of it.

To be honest I would prefer the BBC show the whole season, all the races and all the practice sessions, but if thats not possible I'd prefer they just walked away from F1 entirely rather than showing some live and some heavily edited.

Would they get away with showing half a football season live and half in heavily edited highlights?  no.. there would be an uproar by the knuckle dragging football fans.

But I guess the BBC need to save their money for more lowest common denominator reality trash and for paying back handers to BBC staff :rolleyes:

Whilst I can somewhat agree with your post we are 2 years down the line since they made this arrangement so there's little point complaining about it as if it's just happened. For those that don't have Sky then this arrangement is better than nothing, and it's not compulsory to watch.

As far as football goes I'm willing to bet the fans would be overjoyed if they were to get half the season live. That would be a huge improvement over what they currently get.

#2103 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,538 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 13:19

I think most fans would rather it went back to how it was before the deal, but hey. The BBC cover F1 better than any channel in the world but they are seriously lacking money in order to pay for it's ridiculously high rights. I'm glad they cover half the season live as it is better than I would have otherwise. I sometimes watch streams but unfortunately they are Sky streams and it's nice to watch through my PVR rather than hooking my laptop up to my television.

I still don't see why you would want the F1 fans to have no coverage at all rather than half a season with highlights? We have had this for 2 years now and the viewership has grown on the BBC whilst Sky are losing viewers hand over fist. It's not perfect but the BBC are certainly winning the battle IMO.

I don't understand your football comment. The BBC only show a handful of games a year and Match of the Day shows highlights of the vast majority of the football season. No Premiership games make it onto terrestrial tv apart from last season I think it was where the first made it onto ITV in 20 years.

If F1 disappears off FTA, the sport is dead. It needs the BBC for its British market to remain viable.

#2104 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,880 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 13:42

I think most fans would rather it went back to how it was before the deal, but hey. The BBC cover F1 better than any channel in the world but they are seriously lacking money in order to pay for it's ridiculously high rights. I'm glad they cover half the season live as it is better than I would have otherwise. I sometimes watch streams but unfortunately they are Sky streams and it's nice to watch through my PVR rather than hooking my laptop up to my television.

I still don't see why you would want the F1 fans to have no coverage at all rather than half a season with highlights? We have had this for 2 years now and the viewership has grown on the BBC whilst Sky are losing viewers hand over fist. It's not perfect but the BBC are certainly winning the battle IMO.

I don't understand your football comment. The BBC only show a handful of games a year and Match of the Day shows highlights of the vast majority of the football season. No Premiership games make it onto terrestrial tv apart from last season I think it was where the first made it onto ITV in 20 years.

If F1 disappears off FTA, the sport is dead. It needs the BBC for its British market to remain viable.

Assumes the BBC is going to continue in its current form indefinitely, which it almost certainly won't. I doubt they're going to have the money to bid for any sports rights in the future either, the way the prices are going. The only way we're going to get FTA sport is in the kind of deal BBC and Sky have done.

Edited by billm99uk, 21 December 2013 - 13:45.

#2105 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,538 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 13:48

Assumes the BBC is going to continue in its current form indefinitely, which it almost certainly won't. I doubt they're going to have the money to bid for any sports rights in the future either, the way the prices are going. The only way we're going to get FTA sport is in the kind of deal BBC and Sky have done.

True but I think less and less people will bother watching sport if that becomes a reality. Nobody is forced to watch and maybe it's about time the teams felt the impact from the level of an average person rather than the expectation it is worth paying too much for. We'll have to see.

#2106 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,599 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 16:31

Will be interesting to see how far MotoGP viewing figures fall when it behind the BTSport paywall.
If you feel ****ed off by the BBC/Sky deal, just remember every time you make a landline phone call in the UK you are paying towards someone getting MotoGP coverage.

Edited by ExFlagMan, 21 December 2013 - 16:31.

#2107 chunder27

chunder27

• 868 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 19:11

The deal that annoys me so much is MotoGP, that is SOLE coverage, noone else gets it in the UK unless you subscribe to Dorna;s site and pay about 150 Euros or something, to see the majority of intervews in Spanish

At least the Beeb are covering all races still, admittedly only a few live, but lets face it most races these days are garbage anyway and I think the reason their coverage has gone up is because of this, people can cope with highlights and familiies etc dont want to sit in front of the telly on a Sunday afternoon, they would rather be out doing stuff, so the highlights are now watched in the evenings when kids are in bed or online, quite clever really.

Beeb cant afford F1 coverage or football, though they will be paying handsomely for the Sat night deal still, gotta be tens of millions

Sad to say their tv coverage of MotoGP cant have covered its costs as Dorna sold the rights to BT for 10 million over 3 years, that was a LOT more than BBC bid, so you can imagine wht they were paying and what they were getting out iof it was nothing.

Eitehr way itsDornas fault, if they want to see it to a minority then fine.  BT have bought lots of rights, they are showing old races etc, but really who is going to watch it, most of their money has gone on football, thats what they want.

Blame Dorna, theya re the ones who looked at money over size, just like football, RFU, EWCB etc etc

#2108 RC127

RC127

• 915 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 19:55

That's the really silly thing. They are trying to lock people in to the packages, but it's also a disincentive to upgrade.

Yes, and I heard about the "don't change your package" advice - but here's the thing.  I was offered a free month's trial of Sky Movies in October (before I heard that I shouldn't amend my package if I didn't want to lose SSF1HD).  However, I have kept movies on (and I still have SSF1HD).  Now if I tried to get rid of movies, well I don't know - but the way I see it, either way I would need to pay for the sports pack or movies pack (and I get more out of the movies pack) so I am not touching my package just to be safe.

I take

Entertainment Extra

HD

Movies

#2109 Spillage

Spillage

• 877 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 20:18

Just on the off-chance anybody's interested, James Allen was on Mastermind tonight. You can watch it here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...2014_Episode_3/

#2110 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,389 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:15

Will be interesting to see how far MotoGP viewing figures fall when it behind the BTSport paywall.
If you feel ****ed off by the BBC/Sky deal, just remember every time you make a landline phone call in the UK you are paying towards someone getting MotoGP coverage.

Yes I will have to think about how I watch MotoGP.  I don't really want to go the BT route and I will not pay DORNA directly because how they have shafted Eurosport. I might have to go to one of those special tv stations that operate out of  a shed in the far East.

#2111 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,162 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 13:17

Yes, and I heard about the "don't change your package" advice - but here's the thing. I was offered a free month's trial of Sky Movies in October (before I heard that I shouldn't amend my package if I didn't want to lose SSF1HD). However, I have kept movies on (and I still have SSF1HD). Now if I tried to get rid of movies, well I don't know - but the way I see it, either way I would need to pay for the sports pack or movies pack (and I get more out of the movies pack) so I am not touching my package just to be safe.

I take

Entertainment Extra
HD
Movies

I dropped sky movies back in oct, should be fine as long as you have hd. I checked though.

#2112 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,880 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 13:38

True but I think less and less people will bother watching sport if that becomes a reality. Nobody is forced to watch and maybe it's about time the teams felt the impact from the level of an average person rather than the expectation it is worth paying too much for. We'll have to see.

Problem is it's a "Bird in the Hand" situation - TV money is certain and up front, long term decline in fans is uncertain and in the future. Most sports bosses will take the money now - even if viewership and attendance declines in the future, someone else will have to deal with that mess.

#2113 AlexanderF1

AlexanderF1

• 75 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 13:49

Yes I will have to think about how I watch MotoGP.  I don't really want to go the BT route and I will not pay DORNA directly because how they have shafted Eurosport. I might have to go to one of those special tv stations that operate out of  a shed in the far East.

i just checked the moto gp viewing figures on a blog and the bbc only got 1.1m most races for the 10years and they had a 1.6m peak at valencia this year(that peak includes eurosports 150,000 viewers). this bt deal will destroy moto gp in the uk and also what about moto 2 and 3 because the bbc never promoted it, i would love to see their viewing figures.

ive been watching moto gp on and off since 06(inbetween f1) and then in 2013 i really got into it watching all the quali sessions and all the moto 2 and 3 coverage and i really got into it and with 4 brits now on the grid it is a tragedy. just have to hope that all the races end up on youtube(not legaly) just like indycar races which dont get taken down(thats how i watch indycar and gp2 and gp3)

#2114 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,501 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 13:56

I don't see how Sky can sustain their deal in the face of the awful viewing figures they're getting, they will have to negotiate the fee down at some point and that will bring the deal back onto the horizon for FTA channels.

The thing that infuriates me about broadcasting fees is that there's no underlying cost driving the price, it's literally the biggest number that Bernie/CVC thinks can be met. It's not like running a team where there is an unavoidable cost in being competitive that demands huge sponsorships, the TV fee is just driven by pure greed.

#2115 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,880 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 14:13

I don't see how Sky can sustain their deal in the face of the awful viewing figures they're getting, they will have to negotiate the fee down at some point and that will bring the deal back onto the horizon for FTA channels.

Viewing figures aren't particularly relevant for a subscription channel - it's the number of new subscribers it pulls in that matters. Of course there's a relationship between the two figures, but it's not a simple 1:1.

#2116 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,501 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 15:06

I'd have to assume the new subscriptions due to F1 have been lower than the viewing figures as there would have been existing customers tuning in too.

#2117 R Soul

R Soul

• 581 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 20:12

If the BBC dropped their F1 coverage, Sky wouldn't have anyone to offer a free sample of their product.

#2118 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,389 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 20:59

Problem is it's a "Bird in the Hand" situation - TV money is certain and up front, long term decline in fans is uncertain and in the future. Most sports bosses will take the money now - even if viewership and attendance declines in the future, someone else will have to deal with that mess.

I think that is a very good point and currently Dorna are behaving like they have 3 hands.

Andy

#2119 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,389 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 21:08

i just checked the moto gp viewing figures on a blog and the bbc only got 1.1m most races for the 10years and they had a 1.6m peak at valencia this year(that peak includes eurosports 150,000 viewers). this bt deal will destroy moto gp in the uk and also what about moto 2 and 3 because the bbc never promoted it, i would love to see their viewing figures.

ive been watching moto gp on and off since 06(inbetween f1) and then in 2013 i really got into it watching all the quali sessions and all the moto 2 and 3 coverage and i really got into it and with 4 brits now on the grid it is a tragedy. just have to hope that all the races end up on youtube(not legaly) just like indycar races which dont get taken down(thats how i watch indycar and gp2 and gp3)

You can always watch it at the time but in poorer quality.  It's free market economics at it's finest. The powers that be put up barriers and charge more and then some person comes along and just side steps it all for the common good. Why? Because  people make a grey market by charging too much and limiting it.

It's a bit like buying one of those handbags for £1000 that actually costs £10 to make and people think that is ok to charge them that but not ok for someone to say well if you are going to rip people off I will have some of that cake too.  As a consumer I shop sensibly ;)

It still annoys me that I pay for Sky F1 every month and still get a better service on PC from the people ripping them off because they put the output of Sky Go 20 seconds ahead of Sky!  So I either watch in good quality half a lap behind or in poor that is 15 secs. In QP and with Live forum here that makes a big difference.

Sky cannot be arsed even though I told them all this. My complaint is just not worth worrying about it seems. 

So I have no problem at all in going to illegal feeds if they do a better job. It's capitalism after all, just different people you feed to satiate their greed for money.

Andy

Edited by Andy35, 31 December 2013 - 21:09.

Advertisement

#2120 chunder27

chunder27

• 868 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 21:12

You cannot blame the BBC, they made a bid, Dorna weren't even interested as BT bid more, its as simple as that. Viewing figures and potential audience didnt come into it at all.

It is EXACTLY the same as the Sky F1 deal, they paid more so they got the deal, same as rugby union used to be, same as cricket after the Ashes Flintoff win, same as premier league footie, Lord only knows what BBC have to pay for same day rights to show Premier League highlights on BBC, it would run into hundreds of millions as BT paid 800 million for 30 odd live games a year for 3 years and 10 million for MotoGP. And a fair chunk to nick rugby off Sky and ESPN.

As someone says it is all about broadband and packages, nothing to do with BT wanting an interest in the sport, they are hoping a few thousand GP fans switch to BT thats all, football is where they are interested, not bikes.

What some of these idiots who are taking the mickey out of those of us that can't get BT don't realise, is that they will be PAYING EXTRA for MotoGP after a year, do you really think BT are going to offer free sport to all their customers? New customers yes, but if you are on it now, our deal will run out in about July!  Mid season lol!! then you will be paying 15 quid a month for sport, they ahve to get that 800 mill back somehow, its not all going to come from new customers is it!

They are only doing it is a sweetener to get customers, then just watch the figures drop, just like F1's did on Sky when they started charging for it. The racing has been woeful in GP for years, the lower classes make up for it, but to drop two stations that have covered the sport for decades in favour of one who simply bid more, with no track record or knowledge is pure greed and I hope they get what they deserve.

Noone will be watching anyway when Marquez has won 4 on the trot, juts like F1.

#2121 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,389 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 21:19

You cannot blame the BBC,

Has anyone?  People are blaming Dorna and shortsightedness. People are not even blaming BT, for reasons you point out.

So I am not sure why you are stating this again.  

#2122 R Soul

R Soul

• 581 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:15

I'm sure Dorna's trying her best, but I think a MotoGP discussion should be in another thread.

#2123 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,711 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:42

Just watched the BBC season review having watched Sky's version last week.

Thought the BBC one was a lot better and slicker than Sky's, which was all over the place (appeared to be due to poor editing and Simon Lazenby) 

The Ted thing in the market seemed to be a bit of an 'F1 cars for idiots' type piece even though it clearly wasn't meant to be. 

One thing I'd say is that I wouldn't miss Martin Brundle. I think he's had his day. It reminds me of Andy Gray who I felt had his day on Super Sunday (OK I know he left due to, shall we say, other reasons) in that I'm just not sure he longer offers anything insightful. I'm sure others will disagree of course. 

Damon Hill is fine to listen to, just not sure he is really cut out for being part of a team of presenters. 

#2124 AlexanderF1

AlexanderF1

• 75 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:06

Thought the BBC one was a lot better and slicker than Sky's, which was all over the place (appeared to be due to poor editing and Simon Lazenby) 

the bbc was ok but i wish it was 2hrs instead of one.  i know f1 is all about winning but they didnt even mention williams,torro rosso,caterham,sauber or maurrasia. they mentioned di resta and thats it. really suprized they didnt mention bottas,massa,hulkenburg,riccardo or even chilton. they all eithir had on track moments or switched teams which should have got a mention like bottas at canada or hulk at monza and korea etc. it was good though because of edie and dc giving good insights.

i think suzi perry confirmed that she is staying next year on bbc.(im not too happy about even at the end of the season she was getting mixed up with her words everyone compares her to simon on sky but she had 10years of moto gp experience just because she didnt know f1 doesnt mean she shouldnt be able to string a sentence together.)

#2125 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,711 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:16

the bbc was ok but i wish it was 2hrs instead of one.  i know f1 is all about winning but they didnt even mention williams,torro rosso,caterham,sauber or maurrasia. they mentioned di resta and thats it. really suprized they didnt mention bottas,massa,hulkenburg,riccardo or even chilton. they all eithir had on track moments or switched teams which should have got a mention like bottas at canada or hulk at monza and korea etc. it was good though because of edie and dc giving good insights.

i think suzi perry confirmed that she is staying next year on bbc.(im not too happy about even at the end of the season she was getting mixed up with her words everyone compares her to simon on sky but she had 10years of moto gp experience just because she didnt know f1 doesnt mean she shouldnt be able to string a sentence together.)

I think they both struggle to be honest. 

Be good if Steve Ryder presented one of them. 

#2126 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,538 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 13:25

the bbc was ok but i wish it was 2hrs instead of one.()

I couldn't have sat through 2 hours of review for what was one of the dullest seasons in my 25 years of watching IMO. I don't know what they could have covered extra that we needed to be reminded of? I'm trying to get my interest for a Formula one back in the off season as I've become less bothered about tuning in lately. I'm certainly not heading into the new year in any way tempted to sign up to Sky. I'm heading up to the Autosport show next week with a couple of mates who are mad on F1. Ironically though one has cancelled his subscription and the other is doing so in February when his contract is up. I get the impression the BBC are freeing enough for fans to remain interested and Sky are struggling to compete with that.

#2127 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,225 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:11

If the BBC dropped their F1 coverage, Sky wouldn't have anyone to offer a free sample of their product.

The BBC are showing their own product, not Sky's. Sky can offer a free sample of their product anytime they want to.

#2128 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,501 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:52

The BBC are showing their own product, not Sky's. Sky can offer a free sample of their product anytime they want to.

Only to sky customers though, if they want to hook new viewers through FTA they have to start offering channels to freeview.

#2129 pdac

pdac

• 717 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 21:38

Only to sky customers though, if they want to hook new viewers through FTA they have to start offering channels to freeview.

I thought Now TV was Sky's answer to all of their subscription problems.

#2130 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,174 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 23:23

I guess that might have been considered incendiary 'round these parts huh..

Jp

#2131 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 3,122 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:30

I did this and I agree with your thoughts.

Magnum Kev being voted in by the engineers over Perz was a interesting discovery thanks to D.C revealing it. As was Lewis saying he was given Schumi's old mechanics, whilt Nico kept his own, something that did not happen at McLaren according to Lewis (Lewis said that his mechanics were mixed about when Button arrived, he was clearly miffed)

There is also some terrific insight into Seb/Webber. I would say its a perfect overview of the year, as it does not outstay its welcome.

BBC know how to keep it interesting.

SKY was just a bit of relaxing viewing, nothing new just a few friendly faces yabbering on for a hour. Not offensive, but nothing really vital.

Edited by sennafan24, 02 January 2014 - 01:33.

#2132 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,599 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:49

They already do have a freeview channel - Pick TV (channel 11) - that shows 'samples' of their output, though if that is the quality of their normal subscription channel output I am not impressed.

#2133 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,538 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:43

That is also a Sky owned product and isn't as appealing as most freeview boxes and freesat because it lacks many of the key features you can get for the same money. Sky need to offer options to free view and freesat if they want more people interested in what they offer. That isn't their philosophy though and if they did this, it would stop people subscribing to their main product. It's a stubborn approach IMO because they would rather a very low number of people buy their products and remain exclusive than expand their outreach. It is forcing many people to use illegal methods of viewing when Sky could really reach out to these people and make money rather than nothing at all. The F1 channel could be hugely popular and take over the BBC as primary source for the UK if they offered say a £10 a month subscription on freeview. They don't really care how many are viewing though and hopefully by 2018 the channel will not be offered to them as a renewal.

#2134 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,278 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:51

Why let people have what they want for £10/mnth when you can force them into a bundle for £20 or force them to pay £10 a race? It's not about viewing figures it's about turnover.

The BBC review was great. Good mix of conveying what happened, what the big stories were with some interesting insights.

Re: Lewis' mechanics being moved around at McLaren. Is that likely to be McLaren protocol or that the engineers wanted to work with Jenson?

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 02 January 2014 - 10:54.

#2135 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,538 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:13

Why let people have what they want for £10/mnth when you can force them into a bundle for £20 or force them to pay £10 a race? It's not about viewing figures it's about turnover.

I understand the turnover stance, in fact I mentioned that in the post as my understanding. It makes sense from a business perspective on paper but the problem with that approach is that hardly anybody is being forced to down that route. The option is there but Sky lost 21% of the audience they had in 2012. Unless of course Sky had masses of new subscribers for the F1 but these people then decided not to watch it. That is also a possibility. Something must be working for them even if the F1 viewership is miserable at the moment.

#2136 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,501 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:24

They already do have a freeview channel - Pick TV (channel 11) - that shows 'samples' of their output, though if that is the quality of their normal subscription channel output I am not impressed.

Haven't heard of either of those, I'll have to look into them but they're obviously not well known channels which brings you back to square one .

#2137 AlexanderF1

AlexanderF1

• 75 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:29

to be honest i dont know why anyone in their right mind would pay for sky f1 when it is so easy to find a good quality,free live stream and as long as you have ad blocker your sorted.

#2138 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,538 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:31

Pick TV tends to show quite old programs, many of which were broadcasted on Sky 18 or so months previously. It's not like it's a channel that shows current content from my experience. Now TV is very basic and they charge £10 for 24 hours access to sports. It's not bad if a few of you want to watch a race, but it's an expensive way to watch the other half of the season the BBC don't show if you want to watch qualifying and race broadcasts. It's much cheaper to buy chipped Skybox or watch a reliable internet stream in my experience.

#2139 Burtros

Burtros

• 966 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:30

The 'knuckle dragging fooball fans' actually put up with only edited highlights. Not even half the season is live. Match of the Day, MOTD2, The Football League Show. Heard of any of them?

The fact that you choose to brand Football fans 'knuckle dragging' whilst also being completely and utterly incorrect about what you saying is so arrogant its actally amusing. On a serious level, you should be ashamed of yourself for the comments you have made.

Offensive, Incorrect and Arrogant. To use another football term, thats quite a hat-trick you have scored with that post there.

On the BBC/SKY reviews - BBC far, far better IMHO. Makes me so sad they ditched half their coverage. SKY really is not a patch on it.

Edited by Burtros, 02 January 2014 - 12:32.

Advertisement

#2140 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,423 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:57

I have realised exactly what it is that I don't like about Suzi Perry in the year round up. It's what she unconsciously does with her eyebrows when she is asking a question that has been pre-rehersed. She's using them to will Eddie and David on, to answer it without f===ing up too much. Has anybody else noticed this ? Just at the end of the question, she pulls them down. It's what an ex girlfriend used to do when she was lying to me, or trying to get me to do something that I didn't want to do. (Keep your imaginations in check, nothing like that.) It is irrational, but I don't like her much as an anchor.

My ideal presenter line up would be (of current presenters) DC, EJ, DH, Gary Anderson, Anthony Davidson and Ted.

So, Ted in the pits and maybe interviews, DC and Ant in the commentary box, EJ and Gary for analysis, DH for the occasional wry comment which just leaves us needing a good anchor person. Sandi Toksvig would be excellent, as she natuarally dislikes all sports and is very funny. The current presentation lacks any conflict, as they are all such enthusiasts, it would be good to have somebody who is just not the interested. Eddie and David would have such fun trying to persuade her it is not just coloured beads running along a string.

#2141 Risil

Risil

• 13,602 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 13:04

:lol:

#2142 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,880 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 13:44

to be honest i dont know why anyone in their right mind would pay for sky f1 when it is so easy to find a good quality,free live stream and as long as you have ad blocker your sorted.

Well if everyone thinks like that, sooner or later there won't be any coverage...

#2143 smitten

smitten

• 1,409 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 13:46

Offensive, Incorrect and Arrogant. To use another football term, thats quite a hat-trick you have scored with that post there.

Or more accurately, a cricket term appropriated by many other sports.

#2144 Risil

Risil

• 13,602 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 14:23

Well if everyone thinks like that, sooner or later there won't be any coverage...

Occupy F1!

#2145 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,711 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 14:34

I have realised exactly what it is that I don't like about Suzi Perry in the year round up. It's what she unconsciously does with her eyebrows when she is asking a question that has been pre-rehersed. She's using them to will Eddie and David on, to answer it without f===ing up too much. Has anybody else noticed this ? Just at the end of the question, she pulls them down. It's what an ex girlfriend used to do when she was lying to me, or trying to get me to do something that I didn't want to do. (Keep your imaginations in check, nothing like that.) It is irrational, but I don't like her much as an anchor.

My ideal presenter line up would be (of current presenters) DC, EJ, DH, Gary Anderson, Anthony Davidson and Ted.

So, Ted in the pits and maybe interviews, DC and Ant in the commentary box, EJ and Gary for analysis, DH for the occasional wry comment which just leaves us needing a good anchor person. Sandi Toksvig would be excellent, as she natuarally dislikes all sports and is very funny. The current presentation lacks any conflict, as they are all such enthusiasts, it would be good to have somebody who is just not the interested. Eddie and David would have such fun trying to persuade her it is not just coloured beads running along a string.

Getting someone in to present who doesn't like any sport let alone F1? 

No thanks. 

#2146 Burtros

Burtros

• 966 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 15:39

Or more accurately, a cricket term appropriated by many other sports.

shhhhh!!! Im English and not curretnly able to talk about Cricket. It hurts to much!!

#2147 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 3,122 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 15:43

Re: Lewis' mechanics being moved around at McLaren. Is that likely to be McLaren protocol or that the engineers wanted to work with Jenson?

Good question

The way Lewis made out, it seemed more like McLaren protocol, but I would be interested to learn more. It did make me think that the Lewis/McLaren relationship was souring for a while before 2011/2012.

#2148 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,538 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 17:58

If Sky are happy to charge an extortionate amount a month for their sports coverage and not worry about how many people are tuning in, it doesn't matter if some of us rip it off by watching it for free does it? There will always be a certain amount of people willing to pay and this will give them the revenue to continue buying sports rights. It might seem unfair to those who do receive it legitimately, but with a deal like this you are always going to have viewers getting the rough end of the stick IMO. For around a 100 quid you can get a box that plugs into an existing Sky HD box and is coded to intercept the signal even after you have cancelled your subscription. You don't even need the Sky box to be off standby mode and every single channel is available in watch only mode. The only drawback is the inability to record but all HD channels are available. The interface is a little basic and doesn't rival the genuine Sky version. As far as I am aware the signal is untraceable and Sky are trying to prosecute those engineers selling them. It's illegal but for some of us it is a viable alternative. These boxes are not illegal to sell as they appear on many online market places, but it is illegal to code them apparently. It's no more illegal than watching a live stream I'm sure. :)

#2149 chunder27

chunder27

• 868 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 18:04

No footage if people watch illegal streams eh!

Like to see that one

So they are going to try and force people to pay are they?  Like they Force people to pay the tv licence with scaremongering when if you read about it properly there is no need. I am sure there is tech to rpevent illiegal streaming, but as yet it has not been pushed through. Thank God!!

Or like the music industry did with napster, like the big film companies do with things like solarmovie, you just go and find somewhere else to do it, or you torrent!

While we are able to do these things it is simply time and effort you need to find out free streaming. People like Sky, BBC BT sport are just trying to make money, they have bought the rights, the rights owner and that is Dorna, FOM, Premier League are the ones scared of you streaming, as the only reason they can charge what they charge is because the holders have to sell the footage at ever inflated prices.

If everyone went pirate no one would watch or pay, the prices would come down and hey presto we would be back where we wre 15 years ago! lol

#2150 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,880 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 21:36

If everyone went pirate no one would watch or pay, the prices would come down and hey presto we would be back where we wre 15 years ago! lol

Not really, because now they know they can get the money. And you'll find it's much, much harder to reduce payouts than increase them - look how hard people will fight to avoid pay cuts (even to the point of risking their jobs entirely), or how hard it is to cut the benefits budget despite widespread abuse, or how football clubs will put themselves at risk of bankruptcy rather than cut player wages. It's like putting toothpaste back in the tube. Don't get me wrong - once ESPN sold out last year, I had to rely on streaming for Indycar coverage myself (I can't justify paying for both Sky and BT thanks!), but I'd rather not. In the long run you'll just end up with no series at all that way. Someone has to pay for the pretty cars to go round. And while any series can stand some pirating, if it becomes widespread it'll just end in contraction one way or another. The problem is, in an ideal world, you could "unbundle" F1 from the rest of their product BUT the price they would like to charge is much higher than the market is willing to pay (hence the moaning about Sky Go). As we saw with Bernie TV before - lovely product but far, far too expensive. The music industry seems to be in long term decline precisely because it can no longer get the market to pay for its product. Manga/anime has gone the same way - basically using the basic product as a loss leader to sell merchandising now. F1 has to find a realistic way to make people pay for its product or in the long run its doomed, cost cap or cost cap.