Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

F1 Coverage Thread - 2013 Season (BBC and Sky)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2194 replies to this topic

#201 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 14:11

I don't think this is the case, otherwise I'd have purchased an iPad purely for that reason. According to the website:

"Other users can purchase an auto-renewing monthly subscription to Sky Sports for iPad (this will not include access to Sky Sports 1-4 and Sky Sports F1). Please note:
• Sky Sports News is the only live channel this subscription will give you access to using the app. "

How do you mean "this is not the case?"

I watched all but 1 race with it last year? ( the 1st race I used sky go" and also switched to BBc when able"

It will probs suit a mini iPad better then a retina iPad. Also need to be careful if reading a forum or live action at same time as the stream is 30 seconds behind.

Advertisement

#202 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,389 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 15:21

Just on this part:

Sky Sports F1 is...
- available to people with Sky on Channel 408 who have the HD package OR the Sports package (note - this particular point could change)
- available to people with Virgin Media on Channel 516 who have the Sky Sports package (SD only, HD channel is Sky exclusive - again, could change)
- available on Sky Go with the relevant subscription
- available on Xbox 360 for Sky customers with an Xbox LIVE Gold subscription

Sky sports F1 coverage is also available for anyone with a iPhone or iPad on the Sky Sports TV app. The subscription is about £4.99 a month. Its a iphone app, so if you view it on your iPad you have to scale it, so definition is damaged. The quality of the stream isn't as good as Sky Go, but then it is £25 cheaper a month.

Incorrect. There is a specific ipad app.

#203 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 15:42

Incorrect. There is a specific ipad app.

Sky sports TV app, that shows F1 live for a £5 subscription.

Nope there is not, iPhone app only. There might be a different app, but its not the one I'm onabout.

https://itunes.apple...d453417026?mt=8

Edited by study, 09 February 2013 - 15:47.

#204 Bobsacamano

Bobsacamano

• 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 16:25

Sky sports TV app, that shows F1 live for a £5 subscription.
Nope there is not, iPhone app only. There might be a different app, but its not the one I'm onabout.
https://itunes.apple...d453417026?mt=8

Looks like you're right, there's an app specifically for the iPhone/iPod touch that lets you watch F1 for just £5, regardless of whether you're a sky customer or not.

I was confusing it with this one: https://itunes.apple...-...7?ls=1&mt=8 , which is similar for iPad users however requires a sky subscription, or £5 a month just to gain access to the SSNews portion of it.

#205 dweller23

dweller23

• 632 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 16:18

Quick question: did Sky say anything about showing any archival stuff this year? Brundle said before 2012 that there would be loads of amazing footage, and apart from Great Britain and Monaco classic race highlights, all they showed were (pretty recent) season reviews and F1 Legends series (some real gems there, like Moss episode).

They have the money, they have the contract, why can't they pick some old races from FOM archives and show them even without commentary?

#206 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,209 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 16:23

Quick question: did Sky say anything about showing any archival stuff this year?

Not yet.

#207 MinT

MinT

• 2,040 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 18:17

Cant imagine they wont - they have a lot of time to fill

#208 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,920 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 19:59

By the way, can you receive Sky F1 abroad through iPad by download the app, even though it's not available on normal TV?

#209 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 20:03

By the way, can you receive Sky F1 abroad through iPad by download the app, even though it's not available on normal TV?

Only if you have a UK IP address....

Edited by olliek88, 10 February 2013 - 20:04.

#210 Peat

Peat

• 1,268 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:51

Who saw 'Ted's Diary' from the final day at Jerez?

Did anyone else think Ted came across as a complete berk? "Let's see how close i can stand to this moving truck" & "Hola spanish child. Good boy. Gooooood boy."

I just wanted to throw things at the tele.

#211 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,297 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:37

It's called 'vamp until ready' and he's not the most innovative improvisationalist without a line of inquiry.
I'll echo Seb Vettel's assertion last season that our Ted is the most self absorbed media person in the paddock.
So much so that when cheeky finger told him this, he didn't even clock it.

I had a chuckle when Seb feigned a cold shoulder upon seeing him in the pen.

Jp

#212 Burtros

Burtros

• 1,017 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 14:29

Vettels been the same with Brundle a few times I have noticed.

Ive always put it down to him being warmer to the BBC due to the RB/DC link.

#213 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,297 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 14:44

Dunno... I feel it's more about media personalities, their agendas and how they interact.
Seb is super savvy as well as having a sublime gift of the droll and not given enough credit by the UK media for it.

Jp

#214 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 15:46

Ive always put it down to him being warmer to the BBC due to the RB/DC link.

Almost definitely. I remember when Brundle tried to cut the interview queue and get in front of DC, Sebastian insisted on answering DC's question first. And he seems closer to Jake as well, when compared to any of Sky's presenters.

Seb is super savvy as well as having a sublime gift of the droll and not given enough credit by the UK media for it.

I think it has to do with his specific type of charisma. Sebastian is the kind of person that charms when he is one-on-one with you, rather than having a great on-screen persona. That may be why some people think he is arrogant when watching him on television, but everyone who has ever met him (including fellow drivers even) say he is a very nice guy.

#215 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,297 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 16:29

Almost definitely. I remember when Brundle tried to cut the interview queue and get in front of DC, Sebastian insisted on answering DC's question first. And he seems closer to Jake as well, when compared to any of Sky's presenters.

He was being equitable.
The rest is supposition.

I think it has to do with his specific type of charisma. Sebastian is the kind of person that charms when he is one-on-one with you, rather than having a great on-screen persona. That may be why some people think he is arrogant when watching him on television, ......

I disagree..His persona comes across just fine on TV.
"World domination? I'm German, but I didn't say that...and I have no moustache"
At least for me it does...
Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 11 February 2013 - 16:32.

#216 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 16:42

I can't stand Ted Kravitz. He is so far up his own pompous behind its unreal.

The a amount of times he makes stuff up is laughable as well. IMO of course.

#217 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 16:50

Each to their own but i'm slightly bemused by all the Ted hate. Personally i think he's alright and seems like a thoroughly likeable bloke, i honestly can't see how people would think he's up his own arse, but there you go.

#218 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 292 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 17:04

Ted's alright. He's no different to any of us really. Thinks he knows best and more than everyone else put together, and is a massive fan. I've met him a few times in the paddock and the first time I introduced myself, he was very normal and a pleasure to talk to. This was in India 2011. He even politely excused himself to grab an interview with Richard Branson rather than just walk off.

David Croft on the other hand.....

#219 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,297 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 17:35

Don't get me wrong... Put me in the + column.
I really enjoy his work as pit reporter
He is head and shoulders above anyone I've heard doing what he does.

Jp

Advertisement

#220 Risil

Risil

• 13,962 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 21:32

Don't get me wrong... Put me in the + column.
I really enjoy his work as pit reporter
He is head and shoulders above anyone I've heard doing what he does.

He's got a gift for telling a good story from the information he's scratched around for. The way he covered Massa's pitlane disaster at Singapore in 2008 was unforgettable.

Edited by Risil, 11 February 2013 - 21:32.

#221 joshb

joshb

• 3,286 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:54

On Ted Kravitz...
He's a long way up his ar$e but does a really good job. I wouldn't get rid of him unless someone could do a better job.

#222 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,715 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:39

For what it's worth, of the Sky team only Simon Lazenby posts less on Twitter than Ted (Damon isn't on Twitter) and Ted is once or twice a month tops and always about the subject of F1.

That says a lot to me.

Have a look at Croft, he got unfollowed last week when I checked in to see a minute by minute account of his visit to see some Bruce Willis movie.

#223 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,209 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:01

For what it's worth, of the Sky team only Simon Lazenby posts less on Twitter than Ted (Damon isn't on Twitter) and Ted is once or twice a month tops and always about the subject of F1.

I've only seen Lazenby tweet once about F1 and that was him saying about Schumacher's retirement. Don't think he does any blogs on the Sky website either like Jake Humphrey did.

#224 kar

kar

• 10,308 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:48

Dunno... I feel it's more about media personalities, their agendas and how they interact.

Jp

Very nicely put. I think some in the print media get him. But UK broadcast personalities do seem dull witted at the best of times.

#225 bongofury

bongofury

• 57 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 13:00

That says a lot to me.

There is life beyond Twitter. Ted is a pit reporter. He is not a Twitter reporter.

#226 swerved

swerved

• 3,622 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 13:24

Each to their own but i'm slightly bemused by all the Ted hate. Personally i think he's alright and seems like a thoroughly likeable bloke, i honestly can't see how people would think he's up his own arse, but there you go.

I used to dislike Ted intensely, particularly when he was probing, which of course is part of his job, but there were instances where he just had a certain undefinable manner and tone when doing so, to the point where although i would have liked to know answers to the questions he was posing, there was something slightly uncomfortable about it all, in those instances i often wondered whether he was in real danger of alienating himself from those he wished to "interview", Can't recall any specific instances, but Domenicalli figured in some of them as i recall.

These days i quite like his approach, and appreciate his efforts, I dont know if he's mellowed but he does, so far at least, seem less antagonistic, and less up his own backside, I always enjoy his notebook and the interesting little snippets he uncovers, though seeing how close he could get to a truck without being run over was a little childish.

#227 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,297 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 15:15

....But UK broadcast personalities do seem dull witted at the best of times.

I know, right ?
How the hell is that even possible?
The British are supposed to be all over this kinda thing. No?
Guess I'll quote myself again and say "not the most innovative improvisationalists without a line of inquiry"
Jp

#228 MinT

MinT

• 2,040 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 19:29

That says a lot to me.

Have a look at Croft, he got unfollowed last week when I checked in to see a minute by minute account of his visit to see some Bruce Willis movie.

Not using Twitter much or at all - gets a big plus from me. The more obsessed people are with it seems to have a correlation with how small their brain/talent is.

#229 ChiltonsCats

ChiltonsCats

• 129 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:21

Sky's coverage last season was great imo, was really impressed with it, I like Brundle's commentary and stuff a lot so was good they kept him on from the BBC, I love watching the races live on TV and we get Sky Sports anyway for the footie so was super happy :)

can't wait for 2013 season!

#230 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,715 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:13

I used to dislike Ted intensely, particularly when he was probing, which of course is part of his job, but there were instances where he just had a certain undefinable manner and tone when doing so, to the point where although i would have liked to know answers to the questions he was posing, there was something slightly uncomfortable about it all, in those instances i often wondered whether he was in real danger of alienating himself from those he wished to "interview", Can't recall any specific instances, but Domenicalli figured in some of them as i recall.

Interesting you start all that off with the word "dislike", because the rest of it reads like a description of a professional journalist doing his job without fear of whatever recriminations may be thrown at him (see Martin Brundle saying almost nothing of note about FOM and/or the FIA since he was threatened with no accreditation a few years ago).

Ted is out there with literally a few other journalists doing what journalists should be doing. The rest are enjoying being in the F1 paddock/bubble and don't want it to end, ever, so simply act as outlets for press releases.

Edited by Imperial, 13 February 2013 - 11:15.

#231 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,801 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:18

Who saw 'Ted's Diary' from the final day at Jerez?

Did anyone else think Ted came across as a complete berk? "Let's see how close i can stand to this moving truck" & "Hola spanish child. Good boy. Gooooood boy."

I just wanted to throw things at the tele.

The guy gives off the impression that he owns the paddock. Not sure if he was like this when with ITV and BBC etc

#232 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,389 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:25

The guy gives off the impression that he owns the paddock. Not sure if he was like this when with ITV and BBC etc

I've never got that impression.

#233 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,191 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 13:16

I really like Ted. Sure, sometimes he presents stuff as exciting red hot news when really it's just gossip but eh, so what. He seems to me like his heart's in the right place. He has that Ray Mears-style boyish enthusiasm thing going on too, charging about the paddock like an overgrown boy scout, which I find quite sweet. Go Ted!

#234 swerved

swerved

• 3,622 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 14:08

Interesting you start all that off with the word "dislike", because the rest of it reads like a description of a professional journalist doing his job without fear of whatever recriminations may be thrown at him (see Martin Brundle saying almost nothing of note about FOM and/or the FIA since he was threatened with no accreditation a few years ago).

Ted is out there with literally a few other journalists doing what journalists should be doing. The rest are enjoying being in the F1 paddock/bubble and don't want it to end, ever, so simply act as outlets for press releases.

The professional journo's who hacked the phones of various people were also probably doing their job without fear of recrimination, the end result doesn't always justify the means imo, there have been times when Ted has acted a bit of an arse, hence my dislike, I'm pretty sure i've also heard Ted mention something he couldn't comment further on, so hardly the fearless reporter, as for the rest of them being in the paddock bubble, I think they're all to a greater or lesser extent guilty of that one.

#235 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 14:18

F1 in 3D, wow. Should be amazing onboard.

#236 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 14:41

I doubt the Onboards will be in 3D. Probably just sky's 3D gear trackside.

#237 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,715 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 14:51

The professional journo's who hacked the phones of various people were also probably doing their job without fear of recrimination, the end result doesn't always justify the means imo

In fairness, even the Fleet Street F1 journalists haven't descended to the level of phone hacking, I'd hardly lump Ted into the above description.

The end result doesn't justify the means? Not with phone hacking certainly, but 'doorstepping' an F1 personality during questioning, upsetting a driver by not sticking to the script the team would like you to stick to? Yes, it does justify the means.

Journalists who don't do such things are merely press-release outlets.

#238 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,373 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 15:02

I doubt the Onboards will be in 3D. Probably just sky's 3D gear trackside.

I don't think there will be onboards. The cameras would need to be fitted, you'd need a helicopter, etc.

#239 swerved

swerved

• 3,622 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 15:25

In fairness, even the Fleet Street F1 journalists haven't descended to the level of phone hacking, I'd hardly lump Ted into the above description.

The end result doesn't justify the means? Not with phone hacking certainly, but 'doorstepping' an F1 personality during questioning, upsetting a driver by not sticking to the script the team would like you to stick to? Yes, it does justify the means.

Journalists who don't do such things are merely press-release outlets.

I've no objection to Ted or any other "reporter" doorstepping an F1 personality, nor deviating from the script, as i said in my OP i appreciate Teds efforts, my view though is that when the personality being doorstepped tries to close the door, only to have Ted wedge his metaphorical foot in it, it becomes rude, less of an interview than an interrogation and could even become counter productive.

Advertisement

#240 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 15:31

I don't think there will be onboards. The cameras would need to be fitted, you'd need a helicopter, etc.

Yes, Indeed. Good Point.

#241 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,715 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 16:52

I'll ask this on the assumption I'm probably missing something blindingly obvious: What is the link between having onboard cameras in operation and needing a helicopter?

Is the signal from the onboards picked up and relayed by equipment onboard a helicopter? If yes, I never knew that.

#242 AM14

AM14

• 26 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 17:00

Not sure if this has been announced before, but according to the Sky Sports site, Natalie will be presenting the F1 Show with Ted. I wonder if this means that Georgie will now be the main presenter.

http://www1.skysport...1-Show-returns-

#243 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,330 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 17:09

God help us. How does Pinkham take over everything? I was amazed to see her hosting the McLaren launch and stumbling over the words as usual (sorry I know this is harsh, but I really don't think she's a very good talker).

If it means Georgie is taking over from Simon, okay. But I've read nothing that indicates he's going anywhere?

#244 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,209 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 17:28

I would say the more likely option is that Georgie is simply having an extra week break before start of the season.

#245 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,715 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 19:07

She's a big deal to Sky. We'd know if she was out or had changed jobs.

#246 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:59

Greetings.

This is not BBC or Sky related, but now in France, we will have to pay too to watch F1.

TF1 lost the rights to Canal+, so now it is 100% charged... Around £35/month. Good job, Bernie!

Edited by Ravenak, 14 February 2013 - 09:20.

#247 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 292 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:06

No idea why I thought this, but when I saw the McLaren launch, I thought Pinkham was pregnant. If so, she might have been benched. E.g. kept in the UK doing studio programme while GT is abroad doing the rest. She has just got married after all so to be pregnant is a logical happening...

#248 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 17:26

F1 show at 6:30 on SSF1 and SS1 tonight.

#249 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,209 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 18:53

Georgie Thompson has left Sky's F1 team.

#250 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 19:03

Who dyed Horners hair?