* * - - - 7 votes

What are Lewis's chances of winning 2013 WDC? [split]

• Please log in to reply
458 replies to this topic

#1 TF110

TF110

• 3,068 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 20:37

As long as they don't botch pitstops, and the car doesn't fail him 1 out of 5 times, he will be in a good position to challenge for the title IMO. The new details emerging from what Brawn is saying sound enthusiastic. I think Hamilton will surprise, or maybe not, and we expect him to be able to accomplish great things even with a slower car- look at 2009 as an example.

Advertisement

#2 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 20:48

As long as they don't botch pitstops, and the car doesn't fail him 1 out of 5 times, he will be in a good position to challenge for the title IMO. The new details emerging from what Brawn is saying sound enthusiastic. I think Hamilton will surprise, or maybe not, and we expect him to be able to accomplish great things even with a slower car- look at 2009 as an example.

forget the slower car. If the car has more than 0.7s deficit, he and NR will be fighting with Sauber and Force India. Which means you won't even see him that much during the race. Unless you are at the track of course. Actually, the pit-stops were quite ok by the second half of 2012. Reliability, well, that's very Ianus-faced: MS sucked big time, NR was pretty much ok. Botched pit-stops were more of a Mc trademark. But I have to say this: predicting anything that concerns the perfomance of Merc is out of question for me after 3 giga suckout seasons. By now, my throat hurts. So I will wait and see.

#3 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 20:51

All teams make enthusiastic noises, but until the cars hit the track none of them know if they have got it right.

#4 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 20:53

Next season we have nearly the same rules as 2012. Never in the history of motorsport a team got from the fifth or sixth place in WCC to place one or two. The last years Mercedes was a dog, as the year before and the year before that. Hamilton in the title hunt would be a miracle, bigger than Brawn in 2009 (yet there was room for it because of the rule change). Hamilton should focus on realistic goals, a podium or fluke win. I guess he is - in contrary to some fans around here.

#5 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 21:22

Next season we have nearly the same rules as 2012. Never in the history of motorsport a team got from the fifth or sixth place in WCC to place one or two. The last years Mercedes was a dog, as the year before and the year before that. Hamilton in the title hunt would be a miracle, bigger than Brawn in 2009 (yet there was room for it because of the rule change). Hamilton should focus on realistic goals, a podium or fluke win. I guess he is - in contrary to some fans around here.

Hamilton being in the title hunt may be a miracle and I agree he and Mercedes should have realistic goals but look at how Ferrari looked pre season 2012 and what Alonso was able to do.

#6 maxx7

maxx7

• 141 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 21:25

I think if you look in the history of F1. That season Mercedes 2012, comparable with the season renault 2004. And we have seen that much progress they have made in 2005. So in 2005 in comparison with 2004 season, there were minor changes in the rules .. But in 2013 will also be minor changes: DDRS ban. Ban use DRS in all parts of the track in qualifying and practice .. Yet I believe that Mercedes will have progress in 2013 and that it will see ..

#7 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 21:28

I think if you look in the history of F1. That season Mercedes 2012, comparable with the season renault 2004. And we have seen that much progress they have made in 2005. So in 2005 in comparison with 2004 season, there were minor changes in the rules .. But in 2013 will also be minor changes: DDRS ban. Ban use DRS in all parts of the track in qualifying and practice .. Yet I believe that Mercedes will have progress in 2013 and that it will see ..

uhhmmm, what?

#8 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 21:34

Renault was a rising star since 2003. In 2004 they had three poles and one win and several podiums (3th in WCC). In 2005 we had one big changee, the tires had to last the whole race, that's the reason Ferrari felt back. The season of Mercedes is not comparable by any means with Renault 2004

#9 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 21:35

Hamilton being in the title hunt may be a miracle and I agree he and Mercedes should have realistic goals but look at how Ferrari looked pre season 2012 and what Alonso was able to do.

Ferrari was third in the constructors the year before and 2012 also. I spoke about quantum leap, that never happened in history before under stable rules.

#10 maxx7

maxx7

• 141 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 21:54

Renault was a rising star since 2003. In 2004 they had three poles and one win and several podiums (3th in WCC). In 2005 we had one big changee, the tires had to last the whole race, that's the reason Ferrari felt back. The season of Mercedes is not comparable by any means with Renault 2004

Yep they had more podiums and pole. But if Mercedes will not make much progress in 2013. The chances for 2014 are minimal..

#11 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 22:00

Yep they had more podiums and pole. But if Mercedes will not make much progress in 2013. The chances for 2014 are minimal..

:lol:

HOW did you come to that conclusion??

#12 maxx7

maxx7

• 141 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 22:05

HOW did you come to that conclusion??

As possible to take a big step forward in 2014? If in 2013 have a dog? Aerodynamics does not change significantly only new engine..

Edited by maxx7, 03 January 2013 - 22:06.

#13 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 22:06

Two miracles happened in 2009. Brawn as Honda moved from 9th to 1st and Red Bull moved from 7th to 2nd. As you say, there were rule changes to justify the big movement. Renault was 3rd in 2004 when it went on to win the championship in 2005. Ferrari was also 3rd in 2006 before it went on to win in 2007. It is therefore abit optimistic to expect Mercedes to go for the WCC in 2013 but it would not be unrealistic to expect it to fight for 3rd place in the WCC from 5th would it - that would probably involve some very good drives from Lewis and Nico, even one or two wins if not more. By all means such a season would be a big success for Mercedes.

Your bolded statement is however not entirely true - McLaren was 5th in 2005 and moved to 2nd in 2006, so going by precedence, Mercedes can realistically move from 5th in 2012 and fight for the championship in 2013. BMW Sauber was 8th in 2006 and shot to 2nd in 2007 albeit not with World Championship contesting points. If McLaren had been awarded the Championship that year, BMW Sauber would still have finished a very credible 3rd that year - a huge improved from near the bottom of the table. Actually stability in the top five teams seams to be more a feature of the 2009 rule changes rather than the history of F1 i.e. Red Bull, Mercedes, Ferrari and McLaren have consistently been in the top five since 2009 - so in a twisted way, Mercedes have been among the elite in the last couple of years. Though the last half of 2012 was not flattering to the Silver Arrows, i doubt other team managers are writing them off as easily as the fans are.

#14 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 22:08

As possible to take a big step forward in 2014? If in 2013 have a dog? Aerodynamics does not change significantly only new engine..

I wouldn't dare argue with you further.

#15 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 22:09

The McLaren Mp4-19 ( which had 1 pole position and a race win in 2004) The team eventually finished fifth in the constructors championship with 69 points.....similar to what the merc did this year

McLaren Mp4-20 (which had 8 pole positions and 10 wins in 2005) although it finished 2nd to the Renault in that year both in WCC and WDC. Kimi retired from 3 race winning positions during this year if I might add

as you can see...sometimes there can be a jump in performance :)

Edited by BernieEc, 03 January 2013 - 22:10.

#16 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 22:17

Two miracles happened in 2009. Brawn as Honda moved from 9th to 1st and Red Bull moved from 7th to 2nd. As you say, there were rule changes to justify the big movement. Renault was 3rd in 2004 when it went on to win the championship in 2005. Ferrari was also 3rd in 2006 before it went on to win in 2007. It is therefore abit optimistic to expect Mercedes to go for the WCC in 2013 but it would not be unrealistic to expect it to fight for 3rd place in the WCC from 5th would it - that would probably involve some very good drives from Lewis and Nico, even one or two wins if not more. By all means such a season would be a big success for Mercedes.

Your bolded statement is however not entirely true - McLaren was 5th in 2005 and moved to 2nd in 2006, so going by precedence, Mercedes can realistically move from 5th in 2012 and fight for the championship in 2013. BMW Sauber was 8th in 2006 and shot to 2nd in 2007 albeit not with World Championship contesting points. If McLaren had been awarded the Championship that year, BMW Sauber would still have finished a very credible 3rd that year - a huge improved from near the bottom of the table. Actually stability in the top five teams seams to be more a feature of the 2009 rule changes rather than the history of F1 i.e. Red Bull, Mercedes, Ferrari and McLaren have consistently been in the top five since 2009 - so in a twisted way, Mercedes have been among the elite in the last couple of years. Though the last half of 2012 was not flattering to the Silver Arrows, i doubt other team managers are writing them off as easily as the fans are.

How many races did McLaren win in 2006 - zero. How many races did Sauber win in 2007 - zero. Both teams took a huge step in the championship standings but they were not able to challenge for the front because Formula One was a two team show this years. You mentioned now we have fifth big teams, Mercedes was at the low end, often slower than Sauber. There is no indication that can leap three teams in this close competition. Back in 2006 or 2007 I would say, it would be possible to take 3th in the constructors but that doesn't mean you are in the title hunt or ready for severals wins..

Edited by 1Devil1, 03 January 2013 - 22:23.

#17 maxx7

maxx7

• 141 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 22:21

I wouldn't dare argue with you further.

Well if you have a different opinion about it. Tell?

Edited by maxx7, 03 January 2013 - 22:21.

#18 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 22:21

The McLaren Mp4-19 ( which had 1 pole position and a race win in 2004) The team eventually finished fifth in the constructors championship with 69 points.....similar to what the merc did this year

McLaren Mp4-20 (which had 8 pole positions and 10 wins in 2005) although it finished 2nd to the Renault in that year both in WCC and WDC. Kimi retired from 3 race winning positions during this year if I might add

as you can see...sometimes there can be a jump in performance :)

You had tires that had to last the whole races I wouldn't call that a stable set of regulation. Ferrari felt back because of that. Also you had a tire war going on - the performance of the teams had a lot to do with that. In 2003 McLaren was in the title hunt - Yes a jump did happened in history, but the situation is completely different

Edited by 1Devil1, 03 January 2013 - 22:22.

#19 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 22:32

You had tires that had to last the whole races I wouldn't call that a stable set of regulation. Ferrari felt back because of that. Also you had a tire war going on - the performance of the teams had a lot to do with that. In 2003 McLaren was in the title hunt - Yes a jump did happened in history, but the situation is completely different

Am sorry but it seems any time someone comes up with a credible example you seem to discount it (usually on regulations), but there are regulations changes next year maybe not as significant as some other years but changes nevertheless and till the cars ht the tracks no one knows how this will affect most cars.

1 Pirelli coming out with more aggressive tyres. No one knows how this will affect the cars
2 DRS banned during Qualifying (Except for the designated zones to be used during the race) some have alluded to DRS being worth up to 0.5-0.7 a lap
3 Some will come out with their version of Passive DRS (AKA Lotus Redbull style) no one knows what effects this will have and who will have the best implementation
4 Front wing test - I hear the test are now more stringent. This was an area where Redbull and McLaren really excelled this year and seemed to realise a performance gain. Who knows what effect this will bring.

there are some changes and we don't know yet how significant they will be so....can we stop discounting all the examples others are giving based on rule changes for that particular year

Advertisement

#20 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 22:46

Am sorry but it seems any time someone comes up with a credible example you seem to discount it (usually on regulations), but there are regulations changes next year maybe not as significant as some other years but changes nevertheless and till the cars ht the tracks no one knows how this will affect most cars.

1 Pirelli coming out with more aggressive tyres. No one knows how this will affect the cars
2 DRS banned during Qualifying (Except for the designated zones to be used during the race) some have alluded to DRS being worth up to 0.5-0.7 a lap
3 Some will come out with their version of Passive DRS (AKA Lotus Redbull style) no one knows what effects this will have and who will have the best implementation
4 Front wing test - I hear the test are now more stringent. This was an area where Redbull and McLaren really excelled this year and seemed to realise a performance gain. Who knows what effect this will bring.

there are some changes and we don't know yet how significant they will be so....can we stop discounting all the examples others are giving based on rule changes for that particular year

I don't discount every credible example I just say you need to look closer at it. You can't know how these changes will have an impact next year. But it's very likely that these are small changes in comparison to a full race with the same set of tires and I tire war in the background (that can make more than sec difference). Let's put it that way the possibility that Mercedes will do a McLaren 2005 is small by quite a margin.

1.)Smaller rule change (maybe you think otherwise). 2.)McLaren had an off year 2004 but proved since 1998 say are able to produce a title contender. 3)In season development of Mercedes was terrible the last three years even in 2009. 4.) a closer field we have fifth big teams, without a big rule change you can't jump four teams. 5.) Mercedes is likely to focus on 2014.

So I don't see how Mercedes will take Hamilton in the title hunt in 2013.

#21 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 22:54

How many races did McLaren win in 2006 - zero. How many races did Sauber win in 2007 - zero. Both teams took a huge step in the championship standings but they were not able to challenge for the front because Formula One was a two team show this years. You mentioned now we have fifth big teams, Mercedes was at the low end, often slower than Sauber. There is no indication that can leap three teams in this close competition. Back in 2006 or 2007 I would say, it would be possible to take 3th in the constructors but that doesn't mean you are in the title hunt or ready severals wins..

Can i hazard the opinion that the key to a good 2013 for Mercedes would be achieving multiple wins AND consistently scoring points preferably on the podium and in all races. Even before restructuring, Mercedes would have achieved this objective in 2012 if they had carried on with the first half form. The team has restructured not necessarily to win the WCC in 2013 but to move from the 4th/5th position and see if it can fight for 3rd or 2nd in the championship. That, given the driver pairing and the new engineering team is not impossible - infact it is very achievable.

To address your concerns we need to consider whether Mercedes can achieve multiple wins in 2013. The answer would have to be a yes. It won one race dorminantly in a poor 2012 and could have won Monaco if the planets had lined up nicely behind Nibiru. Upto the middle of 2012, Nico was just a handful of points behind eventual title winner Vettel. If Merceds can get 3 wins in 2013 that could have a major impact on its bid for the championship. Let us not forget that to finish 2nd and only 60 points behind Red Bull in 2012, Ferrari only won 3 races! The arguement for Mercedes achieving this small quantum leap is stronger than the one for it not being able to because of the changes the team has undertaken i.e. bigger budget, restructured functions, wind tunnel infrastructure, new staff in design, aerodynamics and driving and a tweaked governance relationship at the board level.

A small clarification about Mercedes positioning since 2009 - It was 1st in 2009, 4th in both 2010 and 2011 behind the big three and 5th in 2012 (its worst year since it won the title) behind Lotus. Looking at that positioning, I can understand Ross Brawn arguing to the Mercedes Board that the team needs similar resources to the top three teams if it needs to be mixing up with them on a regular basis - and thus the flurry of changes in 2012.

#22 TF110

TF110

• 3,068 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 23:05

I think with solid points scores, and a possible couple of racing wins, Hamilton or Nico could challenge for the drivers title. It all comes down to how the others who're fighting for the title score. Kimi was very close in 2012 until the last couple of races, and he had only one win. The point is, he finished in the points consistently. His Lotus was 4th fastest car behind Red Bull McLaren and Ferrari. Sometimes the Sauber's and Williams' were faster! Lets not forget Maldonado won a race in 2012, as did Nico Rosberg. A 50% scaled tunnel isn't as accurate as a 60% scale tunnel- that much is fact. So with that said, lets just hope Hamilton and Rosberg have a car to reach the podium, and possibly increase on the win total from 2012! Anything is possible.

#23 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 23:14

Can i hazard the opinion that the key to a good 2013 for Mercedes would be achieving multiple wins AND consistently scoring points preferably on the podium and in all races. Even before restructuring, Mercedes would have achieved this objective in 2012 if they had carried on with the first half form. The team has restructured not necessarily to win the WCC in 2013 but to move from the 4th/5th position and see if it can fight for 3rd or 2nd in the championship. That, given the driver pairing and the new engineering team is not impossible - infact it is very achievable.

To address your concerns we need to consider whether Mercedes can achieve multiple wins in 2013. The answer would have to be a yes. It won one race dorminantly in a poor 2012 and could have won Monaco if the planets had lined up nicely behind Nibiru. Upto the middle of 2012, Nico was just a handful of points behind eventual title winner Vettel. If Merceds can get 3 wins in 2013 that could have a major impact on its bid for the championship. Let us not forget that to finish 2nd and only 60 points behind Red Bull in 2012, Ferrari only won 3 races! The arguement for Mercedes achieving this small quantum leap is stronger than the one for it not being able to because of the changes the team has undertaken i.e. bigger budget, restructured functions, wind tunnel infrastructure, new staff in design, aerodynamics and driving and a tweaked governance relationship at the board level.

A small clarification about Mercedes positioning since 2009 - It was 1st in 2009, 4th in both 2010 and 2011 behind the big three and 5th in 2012 (its worst year since it won the title) behind Lotus. Looking at that positioning, I can understand Ross Brawn arguing to the Mercedes Board that the team needs similar resources to the top three teams if it needs to be mixing up with them on a regular basis - and thus the flurry of changes in 2012.

The starting point of this discussion was a user who claimed that Hamilton has a big chance to be in the title hunt next year with a better strategy and without team mistakes. So referring to that, of course we talk about several race wins and regularly podiums finishes. The good form of Mercedes this year was a product of the randomness of the Pirelli tires. We had seven different winners in the first seven races, it was not the Mercedes car was super strong. The found the sweet spot in Monaco and China in all other races they didn't finish near the podium. I wouldn't take the first races of the season as indicator if the team did a good job in the winter. Speaking about that if Pirellis adds next year again some randomness Mercedes will have the chance for strong results in the first races. But I see them fall of the cliff at the middle of the season again, because they need time for the reorganization. You can't take some checks, some new faces, and everything will fine in the first year - not at all. I see no argumentation that Mercedes will take that quantum leap over a whole season (after all teams understood the tires).

Edited by 1Devil1, 03 January 2013 - 23:15.

#24 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 23:16

its not impossible, but certainly not easy. It is one hell of a task. Then again LH himself has played down expectations and realistically no one really believes the Merc will challenge for the championship (judging by the past 3 years) but to say it is impossible is a bit defeatist especially in a sport like F1.

Trust me stranger things have happened. I just hope they try their best and that's all I ask

#25 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 23:23

its not impossible, but certainly not easy.

:up: We will all know in a couple of months

Strange - not a breathe about the MP4-28? McLaren's PR machine is strangely quiet this winter.

#26 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 23:41

Scoring at every race is a must to have any remote chance.

#27 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,353 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 23:47

its not impossible, but certainly not easy. [...]

...I'm afraid :/

#28 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 23:47

Based on the WO3 his chances are....Slim to none.

And right now, Slim's outta town :)

Edited by BernieEc, 03 January 2013 - 23:48.

#29 hogstar

hogstar

• 553 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 23:48

If Lewis is given a very good car then of course he can win this year, but how many people seriously expect Mercedes to give him a shining diamond? They are too far behind and technically inferior from the biggest teams at present. The guy is very quick and I admire him for joining a team that isn't the best or even close to it - Should happen more often. However, he must show maturity at Mercedes, as some of the things he has done at McLaren were teenage fodder.

My guess is that a win might not be out of the question for 2013, while 2014 should be where his mind is at regarding WDC. The most interesting aspect of Lewis' move to Mercedes is how he will fare compared to Rosberg, who in my view is a very quick driver too, just lacks that self belief of a champion. I would expect Lewis to have the edge of him in qualifying, but not by much. A very strong pairing for Mercedes for 2013.

#30 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 23:50

Lewis winning the 2013 WDC? Nah, that is pushing it. I will be happy if it is evident that the team has made a big improvement much like Lotus did in 2012 over 2011 preferably taking the 3rd spot away from one of the big three.

#31 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 23:57

The starting point of this discussion was a user who claimed that Hamilton has a big chance to be in the title hunt next year with a better strategy and without team mistakes.

Have Mercedes done anything to improve their strategies and to eliminate team mistakes for next year? Genuine question - have they hired anyone who would help in that area?

#32 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 00:01

Have Mercedes done anything to improve their strategies and to eliminate team mistakes for next year? Genuine question - have they hired anyone who would help in that area?

If you are looking for a Sam Michael type hire - nope i dont think so.

#33 Absulute

Absulute

• 1,051 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 00:07

Lewis has two chances at the 2013 title, slim and none.

And Slim has just left town.

#34 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 00:16

If you are looking for a Sam Michael type hire - nope i dont think so.

he said "help" am not sure Sam's the man for that

#35 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 00:21

The new details emerging from what Brawn is saying sound enthusiastic.

Sounds like you're falling for it just as much as Lewis did.

#36 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 00:23

Did Lewis have a choice? Maybe he didn't.

#37 TF110

TF110

• 3,068 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 00:24

Lewis has two chances at the 2013 title, slim and none.

And Slim has just left town.

Claims like this are preposterous. No one is a fortune teller. No one knows how the Mercedes W04 will be relative to the competition either. So lets wait 3 months for the first couple of races to see if this season starts off as good or better than 2012's.

Ignorance to my words meanings obviously. Next time ask instead of assuming what I meant.

Edited by TF110, 04 January 2013 - 00:26.

#38 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,819 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 00:28

I took the OP to mean that now Lewis has left McLaren, he won't have the team mistakes and unreliability any more.

But of course last year Merc was almost as bad as McLaren, and with a slower car as well.

I think both teams will be taking a long hard look at how they manage the races, and they should both make improvements, but I suspect Red Bull and Ferrari at least will still be doing a better job.

#39 weareracing

weareracing

• 985 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 00:30

TF110...................
You need to go to Specsavers, those rose-tinted glasses might be a REAL PROBLEM in 2013.
Vettel to make it 4 in a row, the 2013 WDC.
Sorry, but it isn't going to happen.
Ross Brawn is the bullshi**er par excellence at present.

Advertisement

#40 Seano

Seano

• 358 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 00:32

Mercedes is in ascendency, McLaren will be waning - but no there is very little chance for a Lewis WDC. He might pick up the odd win or two but no more. I think Lewis sees it as a growing year, the car will take a year or two (to make the most of 2014 changes). However he can use this year to get a really slick pit lane team and strategist going at the Silver Star with the pressure (relatively) off them.

Seano

#41 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 00:33

I have a feeling it will be Alonso for 2013.

That is not being fair to Martin Whitmarsh

#42 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,510 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 00:51

More chance of hell freezing over...

#43 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,972 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:06

More chance of hell freezing over...

Posted Image

It happens each winter :)

#44 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:09

The odds right now are as follows:

2013 Drivers' Championship

Sebastian Vettel 5/4, Fernando Alonso 5/2, Jenson Button 7/1, Kimi Raikkonen 11/1,
Lewis Hamilton 12/1, Sergio Perez 16/1, Mark Webber 16/1, Nico Rosberg 40/1,
Felipe Massa 50/1, Romain Grosjean 50/1, Nico Hulkenberg 80/1, Pastor Maldonado 100/1,
Valtteri Bottas 100/1, Paul di Resta 100/1, Esteban Gutierrez 150/1, Jean Eric Vergne 200/1,
Daniel Ricciardo 200/1

That's 3 1/2 times more likely than his teammate Nico.

http://www.skybet.com/formula-1

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 04 January 2013 - 01:37.

#45 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,205 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:21

'What are Lewis's chances of winning the 2013 WDC?'

Can't give you an exact number, but I think it's a lot higher than what a lot of people here are expecting.

#46 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,510 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:49

Posted Image

It happens each winter :)

#47 TF110

TF110

• 3,068 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:12

TF110...................
You need to go to Specsavers, those rose-tinted glasses might be a REAL PROBLEM in 2013.
Sorry, but it isn't going to happen.

Nice try at a joke, but useless. I didn't ever say Hamilton will win, I think he has a chance to win. Just like any other driver within the 4 teams. How is it I'm wearing 'rose tinted glasses' if I said Brawn seems optimistic about the teams progress in 2013? :rolleyes: Read the comment next time.

#48 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:19

I have the feeling 2013 is going to be another 2011 and Vettel will have another WDC by September. So no, I don't see Lewis winning the title, maybe a race if RB domination is not that big.

#49 Rybo

Rybo

• 366 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:08

1 in 5. Just depends on which top driver gets the best car. Webber, Massa, Perez, Grosjean, and Rosberg wont be allowed to take wins off of their teammates. I do hope for another close season where its a 3 way battle till the very end.

#50 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,205 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:03

I have the feeling 2013 is going to be another 2011 and Vettel will have another WDC by September. So no, I don't see Lewis winning the title, maybe a race if RB domination is not that big.

I guess the fact that RBR has admitted they're behind on development for next year's car doesn't factor into this opinion?