* * * - - 2 votes

Dutch F1 TV rights situation for 2013

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:19

As it looks right now F1 won't be on a free to air channel in The Netherlands in 2013. Although I still haven't seen an official announcement it's very likely Sport 1 bought the rights to F1 with Veronica showing the Canadian, US and Brazilian GPs only.

I'm still undecided on what I'm going to do, but I'm leaning towards watching the races on the BBC and just giving up on watching all the races live. The reason for that is that I don't really want to pay 15 euro's a month for a channel that besides F1 has zero things that interest me. English and German Football? no thanks, Tennis and golf... meh. So for some months it means paying 7,50 euro per race to watch it in my own living room!

It's been a nice streak of 19-20 seasons live but I guess it ends in 2013. I feel sorry for Robin Frijns, Nick de Vries and other Dutch upcoming drivers. Chances of sponsorship are going to be even less now and even if they make it and start winning there are hardly any fellow countrymen to see it!

So what are your plans other Dutchies?

Advertisement

#2 Pyrone89

Pyrone89

• 606 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:26

As it looks right now F1 won't be on a free to air channel in The Netherlands in 2013. Although I still haven't seen an official announcement it's very likely Sport 1 bought the rights to F1 with Veronica showing the Canadian, US and Brazilian GPs only.

I'm still undecided on what I'm going to do, but I'm leaning towards watching the races on the BBC and just giving up on watching all the races live. The reason for that is that I don't really want to pay 15 euro's a month for a channel that besides F1 has zero things that interest me. English and German Football? no thanks, Tennis and gold... meh. So for some months it means paying 7,50 euro per race to watch it in my own living room!

It's been a nice streak of 19-20 seasons live but I guess it ends in 2013. I feel sorry for Robin Frijns, Nick de Vries and other Dutch upcoming drivers. Chances of sponsorship are going to be even less now and even if they make it and start winning there are hardly any fellow countrymen to see it!

I am going to watch German RTL (everyone with UPC or Ziggo should be able to see that) and use BBC the times they are live broadcasting (as they have no commercials and better commentators).

#3 brabham bt50

brabham bt50

• 327 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:40

I am going to watch German RTL (everyone with UPC or Ziggo should be able to see that) and use BBC the times they are live broadcasting (as they have no commercials and better commentators).

Copy that.

#4 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:45

I forgot about RTL Germany because I can't get it where I live now but I will be where I am going to live. RTL G is commercial hell though...

#5 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:57

Strange there has been no official announcement yet.

I was hoping Fox Sports to purchase the rights so that we could get the feed from sister company Sky UK.
If I'm going to pay Sport 1 15 euros a month, I expect a much better coverage.

For those who don't know, UPC and Sport 1 are owned by the same company.

Edited by Timstr11, 04 January 2013 - 10:57.

#6 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:00

Welcome to where we were when F1 moved to SportTV in Portugal in 2007.

I'm not sure the exact figure and can't look it up at the minute, but I think it's 23€/month for us - and there's no live free races at all, and we're a poorer nation with far worse average income.

The only upside is that the channel's actually pretty awesome if you're into football, it's 4 channels actually (+ 1 dedicated Premier League channel in English) and it broadcasts F1, NASCAR, Indycar, NBA, Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga, portuguese football, Champions League etc etc.. So if you're into all motorsport and football like me it's value for money but certainly not if you only want to watch F1.

#7 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,844 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 18:30

You know what? Perhaps F1 will disappear from my life. I have been following Formula 1 since I was seven or six, when races where only seldom on tv. I read the newspapers, saved clippings... it did not hurt me then. Perhaps a lot of viewers will discover they don't miss it...

The same has happened, actually with soccer in the Netherlands. After soccer went commercial, about 1.5 million of viewers (amongst them yours trutfully) and the funny thing was, when dutch soccer moved from the commmercial tv back to public tv... about half a million viewers did not return. Obviously, they did not miss it. I think, perhaps, I will not miss F1 and move on to other things...

Edited by Nemo1965, 04 January 2013 - 18:31.

#8 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,129 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 19:27

I'm still undecided on what I'm going to do, but I'm leaning towards watching the races on the BBC and just giving up on watching all the races live. The reason for that is that I don't really want to pay 15 euro's a month for a channel that besides F1 has zero things that interest me. English and German Football? no thanks, Tennis and golf... meh. So for some months it means paying 7,50 euro per race to watch it in my own living room!

I'm from Estonia and I wanted to say I haven't watched F1 live since 2008. The broadcast has turned also to payTv so paying money for incompetent commentary made here locally with them quoting yesterdays news I have read a long time ago is just plain wrong. We are here doomed to subpar quality thanks to Bernie.

#9 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 22:26

I'll watch BBC and Veronica (in that order) when live available.
Other races I'm gonna watch the video feed on RTL Germany, and I'll tune in to the BBC radio feed.

Also, don't most go kart tracks broadcast the races live?
Certainly a 15 euro investment would be worth it to them.
http://www.kartbanen.nl/

#10 bushgold

bushgold

• 228 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:38

been watching f1 since the early eighties. don't miss a race when it's on. for me, paying to watch it is a step too far. avoiding knowing the result is the key. if you cocoon yourself with call of duty or a blu-ray or something until the bbc extended highlights are on it's fine. returning stupid boxes, jumping through hoops to cancel, hidden charges. then there's the cost. probably £200-250 a year for the ten races the bbc don't show. NAAAAAH.

#11 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 13:19

RTL got a live stream too but not sure if its locked for other countries... I always watch there.... cause my TV is so small I can never read the numbers or words on screen x.x....

#12 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 13:29

The BBC somehow has to make some money out of the foreigners watching their broadcast - there clearly is an interest. Maybe then the UK licence payer could get a reduced bill?

#13 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 13:38

Also, don't most go kart tracks broadcast the races live?
Certainly a 15 euro investment would be worth it to them.
http://www.kartbanen.nl/

It will be quite a bit more as you need a special license to show the copyrighted Sport1 or Eredivisie content to a public.
If they don't they risk hefty fines

Can't see the savings potential either, you'll have to drive to a kart track and you'll probably have a drink or 2.

Anyway the Dutch following suit, more and more one will have to pay for Live sports coverage and only delayed or highlights coverage will be available FTA.

@stanga: you really think people in other parts of Europe watch BBC for free?? :lol:

#14 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,887 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 15:44

@stanga: you really think people in other parts of Europe watch BBC for free?? :lol:

I really don't hope that was what he meant... Here we pay a good amount of money for BBC, and it goes black when it is F1 :p

#15 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 1,008 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 16:51

Obviously BBC when they broadcast the race live. Not sure about RTL Germany. Maybe I have to give a good look around the internet to find an available stream...

#16 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 17:06

this would be the link to the RTL livestream but like I said might be locked for other countries

http://www.rtl.de/fo...ivestream/index

#17 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,314 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 17:19

Don't expect too much from Sport1 you guys. It's not going to be nearly as good as the F1 coverage that Sky offers. Football is Sport1's primary focus. Think it will be just like they are doing with MotoGP now. They'll probably go live 5 minutes prior to qualifying or race.

Still hesitating on what to do. I believe Sport1 offers pay per view as well don't they? At least you can with football matches, so perhaps they will offer races pay per view as well. Just don't fancy watching a race on my computer screen though.

Will probably go for RTL Deutschland for 10 races and watch the other then on BBC. It's a shame that RTL Deutschland doesn't broadcast in HD though, that's a real miss. And of course they have at least two 5 minute ad breaks during a race and several short ad breaks of around 20 seconds.

Edited by DutchQuicksilver, 06 January 2013 - 17:20.

#18 Cozzie

Cozzie

• 171 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:00

I have UPC and (i think) all the channels, but I only have a channel called RTL Television, not RTL 1. Will it be broadcast on this RTL channel?
Such a shame it's not free to air, sadly a sign of the times..

#19 ElmarO

ElmarO

• 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:11

I have UPC and (i think) all the channels, but I only have a channel called RTL Television, not RTL 1. Will it be broadcast on this RTL channel?

That is the right one. I already have a subscription on Sport 1, so I'm really curious to see what they are going to do with F1. Although I'm probably still going to watch the BBC as well. But I agree with you that F1 should be free to air.

Advertisement

#20 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:41

So it appears you can order single games/matches to watch via Internet TV for €3,99 or €2,50 if you buy 10 at once.
I have sent them an e-mail with the following questions (no real need to translate, is there?)

* Zullen de formule 1-races ook als losse wedstrijd te bestellen zijn?
* En wordt dan het gehele race-weekend als een wedstrijd gezien, of moet ik de trainingen op vrijdag, kwalificatie op zaterdag en de race op zondag apart als losse wedstrijden bestellen?
* Heb ik als ik een losse wedstrijd bestel ook toegang tot die wedstrijd via Sport1 Internet TV?
* Als ik een totaalabonnement neem, kan ik dan als ik bij iemand op visite ben, van daar ook inloggen op Sport1 Internet TV?

If a whole race weekend counts as a single match, that'd be doable: €25 per year for the 10 races not on BBC, and free BBC for the other 10.

#21 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:46

Are you sure? Eredevisie Live for example is 5-6 euro a match. That is 2x45+5 minutes. I hardly believe it is cheaper for F1 which uses the same timeframe and has even less races then soccer matches.

They used to do F1 when Bernie had a PayTV feed with more camera's and the works. If I recall correctly, they stopped that around 10 years ago.

#22 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:48

http://video.sport1.nl/

Kijk een wedstrijd naar keuze: €3,99
Strippenkaart: 5 wedstrijden voor €15,-, 10 wedstrijden voor €25,-

#23 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:02

Would be a pretty good deal if you can get 10 races for 25 euro's. I would certainly consider that!

#24 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:12

If not, I'll start a cross-website petition (watch and learn Brits!)

#25 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 15:12

BBC and German RTL will be the way to go for me in 2013, but I'll certainly miss Olav Mol... There aren't many narrators out there with the same kind of passion as Olav - anyone who has ever watched Formula 1 on Belgian Canvas, when they still broadcasted the races, will know how much difference the narrator makes.

Personally, I'll consider paying a fee to watch Formula 1 in the future, but only if the channel offers a good F1/motorsport package.

#26 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 15:18

the german RTL channel is simply called RTL... then there are RTL II and Super RTL but the main channel has no number....

you see if it is the right channel if the logo in advertisment clips is this http://upload.wikime...L_Logo_2004.jpg

#27 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:14

Got some answers:
  • you will be able to order the races separately, both on internet tv as well as on your actual tv. (per the above link, that should be 2,50 - 4 euro per race then)
  • when ordering a stand-alone race, each session you order (free practice 1, fp 2, fp3, qualifying, race) will be charged as a separate event, so no whole race weekend for a nice price.

It seems they are still negotiating 'something', so there's still hope (and I also hinted at that) that we might get a F1 season package or something. They'll release a press release 'soon'.

The question (and answer) on Facebook.

#28 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:32

Since I think it's useful for people to compare, I also wanted to chime in on what I get here in Sweden.

I pay 25 euros a month for a sport package. Dedicated motorsport channel from which I get, obviously all commercial free, F1 all sessions live, MotoGP all classes and sessions live, GP2 all races live, NASCAR all races live plus a host of other racing and great stuff like F1 classics (the other day there was the 1985 San marino grand prix in its entirety as live).

And this is just the motosport channel. Add to that Football (EPL, CL), NFL, NHL, euroleague basketball and other stuff. All this for the aforementioned 25 euros a month. I'd say that's pretty good value. And there is no way I would go back, I now expect live commercial free coverage of all sessions both in F1 and MotoGp.

#29 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:37

Since I think it's useful for people to compare, I also wanted to chime in on what I get here in Sweden.

I pay 25 euros a month for a sport package. Dedicated motorsport channel from which I get, obviously all commercial free, F1 all sessions live, MotoGP all classes and sessions live, GP2 all races live, NASCAR all races live plus a host of other racing and great stuff like F1 classics (the other day there was the 1985 San marino grand prix in its entirety as live).

And this is just the motosport channel. Add to that Football (EPL, CL), NFL, NHL, euroleague basketball and other stuff. All this for the aforementioned 25 euros a month. I'd say that's pretty good value. And there is no way I would go back, I now expect live commercial free coverage of all sessions both in F1 and MotoGp.

It's good value if you're interested in all the other sports.
If the only sport you watch is F1, which is the case for many people I think, €15 is a lot for 2 weekends per month.

#30 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:48

Well obviously:)

But at this point I would probably pay the 25 euros just for the motorsport channel. Probably not just for F1 though.(or I would but hate doing it)

#31 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:59

Buying them separate is a nice option and for €2.50 or something it's not *that* bad. Certainly beats watching the commercial fest that's RTL Deutschland ;)

(you should check your facebook privacy settings btw, everything is open to see for the whole world :p )

#32 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 15:02

Interesting. I'd heard about the end of the RTL deal but not how the situation has changed in the past weeks/months. :up:

I suppose I'll watch the German/English/Belgian(not sure they still do it) broadcast as I'm definitely not going to pay extra money for what is on average about 4 hours a month of TV.

#33 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 15:09

Buying them separate is a nice option and for €2.50 or something it's not *that* bad. Certainly beats watching the commercial fest that's RTL Deutschland ;)

(you should check your facebook privacy settings btw, everything is open to see for the whole world :p )

haven't watched RTL DE in years. is it really that bad?
though I'd pay 2,50 just not to hear German commentary xD

(well aware of it, but nothing to hide :) if someone finds me interesting, always fun!)

#34 king_crud

king_crud

• 7,983 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 15:19

Is that €15 on top of having a pay tv subscription or only €15 to be paid and nothing else? If the latter then I'm moving to the Netherlands for €15 sports channels!

#35 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 15:28

Is that €15 on top of having a pay tv subscription or only €15 to be paid and nothing else? If the latter then I'm moving to the Netherlands for €15 sports channels!

18,20 (UPC) for cable
23,70 for HD digital tv with digital tv box
+ 15 for Sport1

Though you also have free analog tv, incl. Netherlands 1-3, Eurosport, Germany 1-3, BBC 1+2. not sure you can get Sport1 on that though.

#36 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 17:11

haven't watched RTL DE in years. is it really that bad?

Not really, I'd say. :) In the last few years I've often switched to German RTL when Dutch RTL had a commercials-break and I tended to stick with it because the commentary was often calmer and more interesting to listen to.

#37 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 17:16

Not really, I'd say. :) In the last few years I've often switched to German RTL when Dutch RTL had a commercials-break and I tended to stick with it because the commentary was often calmer and more interesting to listen to.

RTL in general got a bad reputation in germany cause except for F1 they mostly show trash tv.... that might be why some call it unreflected bad

however... I personally like their F1 show, it is in my opinion the best german F1 show, better than Sky in commentary, yes there are commercials but its not that bad (doesnt bother me too much except in the actual moment when it starts)... Danner & Waßer are just the best commentary team and for the practice they got Nick Heidfeld commentating on ntv (which is part of the RTL group)...

König and Lauda are intresting to listen to as well... xD and Kai Ebel is just awesome cause of the way he dresses

here btw an old video where xD the drivers take over the RTL People jobs

oh yeah and can't forget RTL filming the toilets

Edited by Sin, 21 January 2013 - 17:22.

#38 Higli

Higli

• 262 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 19:07

When you're in the Netherlands, get a Technisat Multytenne, which gives you BBC and RTL Germany.

RTL Germany is horrible, but if there's no other alternative, I would go for it.

I'm in Germany and I have F1 on BBC, RTL, ORF and Sky. BBC is the best, ORF very close, then Sky Germany and a long way behind there's RTL.

Edited by Higli, 21 January 2013 - 19:07.

#39 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:08

When you're in the Netherlands, get a Technisat Multytenne, which gives you BBC and RTL Germany.

RTL Germany is horrible, but if there's no other alternative, I would go for it.

I'm in Germany and I have F1 on BBC, RTL, ORF and Sky. BBC is the best, ORF very close, then Sky Germany and a long way behind there's RTL.

well thats your opinion my parents have sky... and what I saw there when I visited them I didn't like... RTL is quite fun to watch... BBC is good too what I have seen from ORF is boring

like I said different opinions

Edited by Sin, 21 January 2013 - 20:08.

Advertisement

#40 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,314 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 21:24

But it's not in HD

#41 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 22:18

But it's not in HD

RTL got a HD channel too but I think you need to pay for that

#42 Higli

Higli

• 262 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:07

I have RTL HD. It's called HD+ and is included in the Sky subscription.

The problem with F1 on RTL is a) commercial breaks and b) Heiko Wasser and Kai Ebel.

F1 on ORF has become pretty good, since they sacked Prüller. Alexander Wurz is now a regular co-commentator which is a big plus.

#43 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 16:39

I have RTL HD. It's called HD+ and is included in the Sky subscription.

The problem with F1 on RTL is a) commercial breaks and b) Heiko Wasser and Kai Ebel.

F1 on ORF has become pretty good, since they sacked Prüller. Alexander Wurz is now a regular co-commentator which is a big plus.

I like both Waßer and Ebel so I dont see your problem.... and commercials I dont care so much about either

#44 Higli

Higli

• 262 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 22:59

I like both Waßer and Ebel so I dont see your problem.... and commercials I dont care so much about either

Dann wünsche ich gute Besserung. :stoned:

#45 JdB

JdB

• 3,418 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 13:16

Rumours have been going around that F1 will go behind a decoder in The Netherlands in 2013, but all i can find is that there are talks between FOM and Sport1, but no decisions were made. I don't want to miss a race, so does anyone know what the status is? I can't find anything about F1 on the Sport1 website, and haven't found anything elsewhere. Can anyone tell me who will show the races ?

Thanks.

grtz.Jeroen

Edited by JdB, 03 February 2013 - 13:17.

#46 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,314 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 14:32

The deal has been signed. Three year deal for Sport1 which will broadcast every practice session, qualifying and race in HD. They will also have special channels dedicated to F1 for things like onboards and stuff.

See the major news websites from Holland for more info. Also, I believe we have a topic somewhere about the Dutch TV rights.

#47 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 14:55

I merged the threads.

The deal has been signed but there's not a whole lot of extra info yet unfortunately

#48 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,314 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 14:57

I merged the threads.

The deal has been signed but there's not a whole lot of extra info yet unfortunately

Yes there is ;) In Dutch:

Vanaf de eerste race in Australië zal betaalzender Sport1 de komende drie seizoenen de Formule 1 uitzenden.

Naast de races en kwalificatiesessies zal het ook de vrije trainingen live uitzenden. Daarnaast wordt het op meerdere kanalen uitgezonden, inclusief een zender speciaal voor onboardbeelden. Je kunt ook via internet kijken. Via de website van Sport1 betaal je dan eenmalig voor een race.

Voor mensen die geen abonnement op Sport1 hebben of willen nemen, is er de samenvatting op Veronica enkele uren later. Omdat de races in Canada, Amerika en Brazilië in Nederland 's avonds plaatsvinden, zendt Veronica die races live uit.

Daarnaast zendt de Engelse BBC negen races live uit. De eventuele twintigste race op de kalender neemt BBC ook voor zijn rekening, mocht die er komen. De overige races worden in Engeland door betaalzender Sky Sports uitgezonden, maar komen net zoals vorig jaar in ruime samenvatting op de BBC.

De Duitse RTL zendt zoals gewoonlijk alle races en kwalificatiesessies live uit. De zender is bij de meeste digitale televisieaanbieders in het standaardzenderpakket opgenomen.

Wil je in België naar races kijken, dan moet je afstemmen op Vier. Voor Nederlanders is deze zender niet te ontvangen, maar bij de meeste Belgen zit Vier standaard in het pakket.

#49 JdB

JdB

• 3,418 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 15:58

Ok, thanks. Sorry i missed this thread. I guess i'll have to cancel my Eredivisie Live-subscription, and get myself some Sport1. Strange thing is, on the website of Sport1, it says it'll broadcast MotoGP, but nothing about F1. If you try to find out about Formula 1, they re-direct you to your provider. Oh well :rolleyes:

Grtz.Jeroen

#50 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:06

Formule 1 de komende drie jaar live bij Sport1