* * * - - 23 votes

McLaren MP4-28

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4028 replies to this topic

#601 Treads

Treads

• 841 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 21:10

Can't see Button winning the WDC at all regardless if Seb is there or not.

He already did win the WDC with Seb as his closest rival. Anyway take it elsewhere, this is the car thread, I dont come here to read about how you think Button isn't very good.

Re: the car - Macca finished the season super stong, I'd be amazed if they weren't in the mix come the first race. Car looks to be a good step.

Advertisement

#602 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,090 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 22:38

I sniggered at Sniff Petrol's take at the launch of the MP4-28.

http://sniffpetrol.c...mclaren-launch/

#603 Treads

Treads

• 841 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:17

:up: hilarious .

#604 Hyatt

Hyatt

• 1,145 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:51

uninspired, predictable, boring cheap shot against McLaren .... total yawner ... :down:

#605 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,857 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:33

uninspired, predictable, boring cheap shot against McLaren .... total yawner ... :down:

All of the above... but still quite funny :D

#606 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,090 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:40

I think you have to have read sniff petrols earlier work, don't take it seriously, no one escapes his wrath.

#607 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,519 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:43

I can't see McLaen taking either title this year, I hope I am wrong but I really can't see it. For me Button gets sidetracked too often with set-up issues and Perez is simply on a learning curve this year. I pray to god I am wrong and we take both titles but I can't see it, as much as I don't want to admit it I can't see past Vettel taking his 4th WDC. This saddens me greatly :(

#608 loki0420

loki0420

• 468 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:50

I can't see McLaen taking either title this year, I hope I am wrong but I really can't see it. For me Button gets sidetracked too often with set-up issues and Perez is simply on a learning curve this year. I pray to god I am wrong and we take both titles but I can't see it, as much as I don't want to admit it I can't see past Vettel taking his 4th WDC. This saddens me greatly :(

And i can see Button being far more stronger without Hamilton and in team leader role. Besides he's the only one who beat Vettel to title in more or less equal car throughout the season.

#609 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,519 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 18:02

And i can see Button being far more stronger without Hamilton and in team leader role. Besides he's the only one who beat Vettel to title in more or less equal car throughout the season.

Yes and much of that was down to RBR reliability than Button's brilliance (brilliant though he was in the first half of the season), plus Vettel is a different beast now. I see it being between Alonso and Vettel this year with Vettel coming out on top. I sincerely hope I am proven wrong and Button storms it though, I really do.

Edited by alframsey, 03 February 2013 - 18:06.

#610 Matarese

Matarese

• 68 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 18:12

I'm not a fan but McLaren always produce such good looking cars and this year is no exception.

Good luck this year (not too much mind :) )

#611 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,086 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 18:22

I would like if someone has it. A picture of the coke bottle on the old and new one.

#612 argiriano

argiriano

• 913 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 18:33

MP4-28 looks more streamlined outdoors and it`s more beautifull... I also think that engine cover is different from the lunch, but it may be just the lighting.

#613 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 18:38

Exactly when did you have your sense of humour removed? :kiss:

#614 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 1,053 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 18:42

I would like if someone has it. A picture of the coke bottle on the old and new one.

It looks to my eye to be more agressive on the trailing edge. Other than this, similar to last year. Its the shape of the top of the sidepod which appears to have seen the most changes.

#615 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 18:45

Exactly when did you have your sense of humour removed? :kiss:

I had fun once. It was awful.

#616 10e10

10e10

• 822 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:25

All the hopes this year rely on that, the team more focused on one man. But he can always hope Perez do a Hamilton 2007's, that would be fun to watch.

#617 loki0420

loki0420

• 468 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 20:20

All the hopes this year rely on that, the team more focused on one man. But he can always hope Perez do a Hamilton 2007's, that would be fun to watch.

No, I was saying more about Button's state of mind. He drives better in leader's shoes.

#618 10e10

10e10

• 822 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 20:33

No, I was saying more about Button's state of mind. He drives better in leader's shoes.

Like when he was at BAR? He wasn't bad at qualifying back then.

#619 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 21:03

Like when he was at BAR? He wasn't bad at qualifying back then.

He also couldn't beat Barrichelo.

Advertisement

#620 10e10

10e10

• 822 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 21:10

He also couldn't beat Barrichelo.

That happened once, like Button beating Hamilton  ;)

#621 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 21:28

That happened once, like Button beating Hamilton ;)

What does that have to do with anything? All I'm saying is that it's not likely that Button will magically start driving better, just because he is the "team leader." He was basically the team leader last year too since they always did whatever he said.

#622 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,925 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 21:51

Sorry to go off-topic but I thought this piece was interesting today - McLaren: Time to get the basics right. It's good to see that they've made a big push to try to get their reliability under control but I must admit I don't fully trust Sam Michael to sort everything out. As with any new car they'll need to get some decent track time to understand how it works and reacts, and any reliability problems will hit that process hard.

#623 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 1,053 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 23:24

Jenson Button has a history of being ok - nothing great, ok... Team Leader or not, he is ok... His major skill is bringing the car home - something Hamliton is yet to learn which is why Button did so well points wise against him. He simply doesn't have the speed of the Vettels, Alonso's and Hamlitons of the sport - he has never shown huge speed nor is he going to develop that skill. When the car is perfect, he is fast, but then so would most drivers be. The skill needed is to be fast when the car isn't quite there - and that is something he sadly lacks and always has. This general whitewashing of Buttons past is doing nothing but building everyone up for what is likely to be a very hard fall come the end of the year again.

#624 loki0420

loki0420

• 468 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:28

What does that have to do with anything? All I'm saying is that it's not likely that Button will magically start driving better, just because he is the "team leader." He was basically the team leader last year too since they always did whatever he said.

6 wins out of 7 races would be enough for me but let's see how the car goes first.

#625 loki0420

loki0420

• 468 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:47

Now as top 7 teams showed their new cars - does it leave only McLaren in following Ferrari with front pull-rod or am i missing something?

#626 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 3,056 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:54

I like the fact that this car has a lot of development possibilities. I'm very optimistic for the season and Jenson will be strong.

#627 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,542 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 13:14

this youtube streaming has worked well for most teams, can we pay someone to put up a camera livestreaming from tomorrows test :-)

#628 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,201 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 13:15

this youtube streaming has worked well for most teams, can we pay someone to put up a camera livestreaming from tomorrows test :-)

That would be great!

#629 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 13:48

Posted Image

Garage being set up.

#630 10e10

10e10

• 822 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 14:27

Posted Image

Garage being set up.

Can't wait for tomorrow to see how the car behaves, and for 6th, to see how Checo handles in the 28. Really excited.

#631 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 231 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 17:21

Jenson will win plenty of races this year if the car is good but I don't see him winning any more championships with Alonso/Hamilton/Vettel around him. Sergio should win a race or two if the car is actually as good as Jenson has said. I expect Red Bull and Ferrari to be massively strong yet again, hopefully Fernando's thrive to win championship is just as strong if not better like last years.

#632 MinT

MinT

• 2,105 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 17:25

This is the car thread - not the "jenson is rubbish" thread or indeed any sort of driver thread - its not hard to understand- move on

I imagine we wont see a lot from McLaren in terms of pace over the next few days - as they take their traditional long game approach to testing the new car.

#633 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 17:34

this is actually Jenson's best chance of a championship since 2009,

Mac finished with the fastest car in 2012, theyve further refined that car....RB so far dont seem to have any silver bullet.

In a straight fight with Vettel, JB might prove his worth... assuming both cars are much ahead of the rest. But if the field gets bunched up with Ferrari n Renault joining the battle and perhaps also Merc...its gonna be much harder.

Still this is his best shot, that Mac is going to be at the front, of that I have zero doubt....just like the RB.

JB is the big and perhaps only winner at Mac of LH's departure.

#634 argiriano

argiriano

• 913 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 17:37

Don`t expect pace from McLaren at Jerez... it`s more realistic to expect rakes, sensors and other strange mesuring devices... you know it`s McLaren aproach to testing.;)

#635 Owen

Owen

• 10,768 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 17:39

Don`t expect pace from McLaren at Jerez... it`s more realistic to expect rakes, sensors and other strange mesuring devices... you know it`s McLaren aproach to testing.;)

Very true :up: they won't add performance until the last week, but that won't stop us commenting on every lap!

#636 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 231 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 17:42

This is the car thread - not the "jenson is rubbish" thread or indeed any sort of driver thread - its not hard to understand- move on

I imagine we wont see a lot from McLaren in terms of pace over the next few days - as they take their traditional long game approach to testing the new car.

I couldn't locate such a thread here in the forums, I'd be amazed if a mod didn't take that kind of thread out. Who in the world would call a WDC a "rubbish driver"? I wouldn't dare do so. He is good but not a great and that doesn't equal what you just said there. And I am sure we are allowed to talk about drivers of a particular team in their cars thread and if not, I'd find it absurd to say the least.

#637 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 17:45

The rules have been updated, I believe (?)

The car threads are now strictly for the car I think. (sorry if thats utter horse, mods)

#638 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,351 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 18:18

I'm super excited to see how it runs tomorrow. Of course I know we'll get no real information to actually compare the cars, especially since none of them will be in Australia trim. Still, you can tell a lot from body language and counting the smiles.

As for the nonsense about Button not winning the WDC because he would have to beat Seb, Fernando and Lewis... um, he's beaten Seb before with comparable cars (2009) as well as Alonso (2004, 2011), and Lewis in the exact same car (2011). Seriously, people, try to remember beyond the last 12 months.

#639 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 946 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 18:28

McLaren usually run an understated test programme - the only time you know anything is when something is going seriously wrong - 2009 running with a 2008 spec rear-wing, 2011 running very short stints with very few laps per day.

Lets hope for a large number of understated laps, and a knowing wink/smile when team members are interviewed, and furrowed brows at other teams. :cool:

Advertisement

#640 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 18:57

Posted Image

Garage being set up.

Sooooo excited! :D

#641 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,189 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 19:28

Let the game begin :up: It looks like McLaren have been the only team that opted for pull-rod suspension set-up at the front. Hopefully, everything will be fine with the car. No reliability problems are welcome but if it happens it is better than having reliability problems in testing rather than during the season :)

#642 Owen

Owen

• 10,768 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 19:34

Let the game begin :up: It looks like McLaren have been the only team that opted for pull-rod suspension set-up at the front. Hopefully, everything will be fine with the car. No reliability problems are welcome but if it happens it is better than having reliability problems in testing rather than during the season :)

Ferrari have it also. Sure some others do too.

#643 amouzouris

amouzouris

• 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 19:40

Half Shaft Shroud used on the McLaren and all the other car except the STR8

http://technicalf1ex...ng-fairing.html

#644 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,189 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 19:43

Ferrari have it also. Sure some others do too.

I know Ferrari have it. I meant other teams. I haven't seen front pull-rod on Red Bull,Lotus,Mercedes and other teams. If you have seen it you can let me know for sure

#645 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 20:41

Posted Image

And that's how it's done McLaren!!

:lol:

#646 OO7

OO7

• 9,378 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 20:51

Half Shaft Shroud used on the McLaren and all the other car except the STR8

http://technicalf1ex...ng-fairing.html

I'm curious to know why teams have just decided to pursue this design now. Newey used this solution on the FW-16 if I recall correctly.

#647 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 20:55

I'm curious to know why teams have just decided to pursue this design now. Newey used this solution on the FW-16 if I recall correctly.

I would suggest you read the first sentence of that article.

The rotation of the half shaft produces downforce because of the Magnus Effect, which is good. The problem is that when you introduce the exhaust plume into the equation, this effect becomes more unstable as exhaust flow is given out by the engine only on every exhaust stroke. In addition, covering them will provide a clearer path for the airflow at the rear of the car allowing the diffuser to produce more downforce.

Edited by F.M., 04 February 2013 - 20:56.

#648 OO7

OO7

• 9,378 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 20:57

I would suggest you read the first sentence of that article.

The rotation of the half shaft produces downforce because of the Magnus Effect, which is good. The problem is that when you introduce the exhaust plume into the equation, this effect becomes more unstable as exhaust flow is given out by the engine only on every exhaust stroke. In addition, covering them will provide a clearer path for the airflow at the rear of the car allowing the diffuser to produce more downforce.

Silly me. Cheers F.M. :up:

#649 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 21:01

Silly me. Cheers F.M. :up:

That's probably also the reason the MP4-16 had it, since it had a blown diffuser.

Edited by F.M., 04 February 2013 - 21:01.

#650 OO7

OO7

• 9,378 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 21:17

That's probably also the reason the MP4-16 had it, since it had a blown diffuser.

The MP4-16's exhaust blew directly into the diffuser so it wouldn't have made a difference I don't believe. The following images show the MP4-16 design as not being shrouded:
http://www.ultimatec...-Mercedes_4.jpg
http://scarbsf1.com/...ox_PICT0025.JPG
With the exception of the RB8 and car launched this year, the FW-16 is the only other car I recall having a shrouded drive shaft.