* * * - - 23 votes

McLaren MP4-28

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4028 replies to this topic

#351 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:51

Tbh everyone is entitled to make a comment or have an opinion. Hamilton fans are all labeled kids that know nothing of F1 - Why is that? I for one am glad he came to F1 (Watched F1 all my life and no im not 5) F1 was getting slightly sterile before he came along and gave us much to talk about, Either scandal or his aggressive style talent ect.. No one said anything about "Lewis F1" They merely made a comment.
Love Hamilton or loathe him.. He is a part of Formula 1 thus a part of these forums and no matter how much people make Hamilton fans feel awkward for posting ect, They need to know that they have as much right as them to post here.
Are you happy Hamilton left? Or bitter? I have watched F1 long enough now to realise that "Talent" Comes and goes Hamilton has done a good job for mclaren has he not? More than some?

Yeah see that's the thing though, this thread is about the MP4-28 and this forum has strict rules about this sort of thing. So no, they shouldn't be posting about how they feel about Hamilton not being there as it is utterly irrelevant to the thread.

Advertisement

#352 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:51

BTW for those interested, in this picture

http://www.f1fanatic...4-28-2013-2.jpg

you can make out the modesty panel.

Isn't that the nosecone to chassis panel gap?

#353 0113Greenall

0113Greenall

• 55 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:52

So, you like what you saw so far?

Nice air intakes, Makes me wonder whats missing to work in unison with the cut outs.

#354 FranDaMan

FranDaMan

• 641 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:53

Some interesting stuff going on around the sidepod inlets...

#355 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:54

Just hope it goes as well as it looks. Great job :up:

#356 0113Greenall

0113Greenall

• 55 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:55

Yeah see that's the thing though, this thread is about the MP4-28 and this forum has strict rules about this sort of thing. So no, they shouldn't be posting about how they feel about Hamilton not being there as it is utterly irrelevant to the thread.

Fair enough, you are right. I recently joined because i hope to debate the car in depth over the season as my girlfriend either falls asleep or gives me a dirty look when i mention F1 :lol:

#357 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,390 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:55

Looks nice!

Obviously the front suspension is looking pretty new and tidy. Did Ron do the laminating? Lol!

#358 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:00

My reaction

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=6109443

#359 teejay

teejay

• 3,556 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:05

Nothing is missing at all.

Just a lot of people, especially some of you that started following F1 the last few years, are going to have to get used to the idea that despite what the media has been selling you, this is and has always been McLAREN and not "Lewis F1"

I am 30, but have been watching F1 since 1993.

Im pretty sure we had a couple of other guys around before Lewis?

Advertisement

#360 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:06

As a non-macca fan I am hoping they are being overambitious with something!

It's hard to say which approach is correct, but McLaren, even though they had probably the best car overall as well, enjoyed a large advantage at the start of the season due to basically being the only team with a ready car at the start-line. RedBull was a work in project and the Ferrari was a new car that was quite rough at that stage.

Being too conservative of course can lead to running out of development avenues during the season but I am keen to not see McLaren enjoying a similar advantage at the start:)

#361 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:07

Posted Image

Guess we'll see wings next week if this 3d render is anything to go by.

#362 0113Greenall

0113Greenall

• 55 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:11

I wonder the reason for the cut out on the outside edge of the air intakes, Although the intakes are quite small still. I wonder... if it is allowed/possible to have the exhaust exit manipulated by the air intakes. I suppose like a tube within a tube, but the outer tube is connected to the inside of the air intake. In theory the faster the car went the more downforce would be generated on the diffuser, Also it would be a constant in fast corners ect. Just an idea sounds more complex than it is, Il draw it up on cad tonight to explain further.

#363 0113Greenall

0113Greenall

• 55 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:12

Posted Image

Guess we'll see wings next week if this 3d render is anything to go by.

Where did you find the original image you have used here? Thanks

#364 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,011 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:13

Things are really busy right now, can't wait to read your comments Thursday and there will be a lots of comments.

Too much mystery kills the chemistry.

Edited by ViMaMo, 31 January 2013 - 15:15.

#365 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 1,474 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:14

Things are really busy right now, can't wait to read your comments Thursday and there will be a lots of comments. :smoking:

????

#366 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:16

#367 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:16

Where did you find the original image you have used here? Thanks

http://www.mclaren.c...se-and-personal

#368 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:19

Somehow I doubt this is the actual exhaust we will see in Jerez.

All speculation of course.

#369 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:24

That's obvious.

#370 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:27

That's obvious.

+1

#371 techspeed

techspeed

• 372 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:29

Love Hamilton or loathe him.. He is a part of Formula 1 thus a part of these forums and no matter how much people make Hamilton fans feel awkward for posting ect, They need to know that they have as much right as them to post here.

Hamilton is now part of Mercedes now, not McLaren. To claim Hamilton can be discussed in the MP-28 thread because he is "part of F1" means you could claim discussing Vettel, Hulkenberg, Pic, Chilton would be fine because they are all also part of F1. Hamilton is no longer a part of McLaren, if you want to discuss him there's the Mercedes threads.

Are you happy Hamilton left? Or bitter? I have watched F1 long enough now to realise that "Talent" Comes and goes Hamilton has done a good job for mclaren has he not? More than some?

As a McLaren fan I would prefer they had managed to convince Hamilton to stay, but he's gone and that's it. After all Hamilton was just another employee. I don't particularly care whether Hamilton now wins races or not, he's no longer a McLaren driver. I didn't stop supporting McLaren when Mika and Kimi left either and I would say both them did more for McLaren than Hamilton. McLaren is still McLaren whoever they have behind the wheel.

#372 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,109 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:31

Anybody have comparison shots from last year's car from later in the season?

Curious to see how much higher that front actually is.

#373 amppatel

amppatel

• 437 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:31

Hamilton is now part of Mercedes now, not McLaren. To claim Hamilton can be discussed in the MP-28 thread because he is "part of F1" means you could claim discussing Vettel, Hulkenberg, Pic, Chilton would be fine because they are all also part of F1. Hamilton is no longer a part of McLaren, if you want to discuss him there's the Mercedes threads.

As a McLaren fan I would prefer they had managed to convince Hamilton to stay, but he's gone and that's it. After all Hamilton was just another employee. I don't particularly care whether Hamilton now wins races or not, he's no longer a McLaren driver. I didn't stop supporting McLaren when Mika and Kimi left either and I would say both them did more for McLaren than Hamilton. McLaren is still McLaren whoever they have behind the wheel.

He can be as the obvious question to ask is what would Hamilton have got out of the car today? We will never know the true speed of the -28...

#374 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:32

That's obvious.

Heh yeah, it was quite the obvious statement but then on the other hand I don't want imply that I think it will be radically different. It COULD actually be very close to what we see.

(it does still look like a placeholder though)

#375 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:34

Anybody have comparison shots from last year's car from later in the season?

Curious to see how much higher that front actually is.

It is quite a bit higher, last season they just lifted the profile of the nose a bit not the whole chassis.

#376 P123

P123

• 7,929 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:35

I agree with what you say. LH, for now anyway, is just another part of McLaren's history. He doesn't have any relevance to the Mp428 and therefore this topic. Although Kimi doing more for McLaren must be some sort of intangible thing I guess.

#377 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:37

Posted Image

When you see the drivers next to the car, you realize how big it actually is. :eek:
The car seems much smaller on the screen.

Edited by V3TT3L, 31 January 2013 - 15:37.

#378 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,065 posts

James Allen's technical analysis of the MP4-28.

http://www.jamesalle...of-new-mclaren/

#379 P123

P123

• 7,929 posts

Heh yeah, it was quite the obvious statement but then on the other hand I don't want imply that I think it will be radically different. It COULD actually be very close to what we see.

(it does still look like a placeholder though)

What appears on track usually is very close to the launch car. I'm sure bits and pieces will be added, such as the pod wings, and no doubt teh front and rear wings will change slightly, but I'd be very surprised if the exhaust layout changed. It looks like a further refinement of what they had last season.

Advertisement

#380 rsaca

rsaca

• 330 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:39

As a Ferrari fan, Mclaren has been our nemesis before fizzy drinks came along, but I have to admit this car not only looks good but technically has the potential to be very fast!!!

I think having the pull-rod along with a higher nose will be very beneficial, especially how it'll work with the rear end.

#381 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,109 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:40

A James Allen technical analysis you say? :lol:

#382 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 3,925 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:42

>James Allen and technical in one sentence.
Anon, stop.

Posted Image

#383 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,065 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:43

A James Allen technical analysis you say? :lol:

You know what I mean. The article being on his site.

#384 techspeed

techspeed

• 372 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:44

I wonder the reason for the cut out on the outside edge of the air intakes, Although the intakes are quite small still. I wonder... if it is allowed/possible to have the exhaust exit manipulated by the air intakes. I suppose like a tube within a tube, but the outer tube is connected to the inside of the air intake. In theory the faster the car went the more downforce would be generated on the diffuser, Also it would be a constant in fast corners ect. Just an idea sounds more complex than it is, Il draw it up on cad tonight to explain further.

The intakes look very interesting. The top and bottom edges hide the side impact crash structure so have to be where they are and can't be cut back. Cutting the sides back measn the side pods are tighter than last year. It will be interesting to see what McLaren are going to do with this area when we see the rest of the MP28.

#385 Matt Somers

Matt Somers

• 550 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:47

>James Allen and technical in one sentence.
Anon, stop.

Posted Image

I believe Mark Gillan (Ex Williams) is contributing the tech articles at present

#386 0113Greenall

0113Greenall

• 55 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:48

I hadn't discussed Hamilton i merely stated what i said. I know he drives for mercedes. I didn't claim anyone can discuss Hamilton here either?

#387 0113Greenall

0113Greenall

• 55 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:51

Posted Image

When you see the drivers next to the car, you realize how big it actually is. :eek:
The car seems much smaller on the screen.

Just looking at the exhaust in this picture next to jensons leg, Anyone think the coanda lump will be placed on top this time, Over the exhaust so all the air over the sidepod washes over it.

#388 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,418 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:54

Another very beautiful car!

#389 techspeed

techspeed

• 372 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:56

He can be as the obvious question to ask is what would Hamilton have got out of the car today? We will never know the true speed of the -28...

I expect we will get lots of that this year. Button or Perez finish second and lots of bitter Hamilton fans will tell everyone that Hamilton could have won, just like Alonso fans going on about what he could have done in the MP24. If Button finishes second in the championship there's nothing to say Hamilton would be WDC. Hamilton will never drive the MP-28 so it's pointless even discussing it apart from to big up Hamilton.

#390 nosecone

nosecone

• 737 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:12

Lets look forward to the tests:

-turning vanes under the cockpit?
-new rearwing?
-new front wing?
-DRD?
-side pod winglet?

I expect many of these parts will appear and maybe more. We saw the render of the side pod winglets. Maybe they adapt the rear wing to the new DRS rules (larger upper flap). DRD is very unlikely because we haven't seen any team using it in the race so far.

(And yes i expect an new exhaust too. Maybe RB style)

#391 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 899 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:12

Just looking at the exhaust in this picture next to jensons leg, Anyone think the coanda lump will be placed on top this time, Over the exhaust so all the air over the sidepod washes over it.

I think the rules forbid this, the exhaust has to be not covered I recall?

Pretty car, backend looks very neat - bit saddened that they got sucked into the high nose route however considering that the nose configuration and pull rods are both binned come November. Obviously there are bits to go on during the tests but isn't this basically what everyone here was expecting? I'm a little puzzled by Andy's comment of there being lots to comment on?

#392 0113Greenall

0113Greenall

• 55 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:16

I think the rules forbid this, the exhaust has to be not covered I recall?

Pretty car, backend looks very neat - bit saddened that they got sucked into the high nose route however considering that the nose configuration and pull rods are both binned come November. Obviously there are bits to go on during the tests but isn't this basically what everyone here was expecting? I'm a little puzzled by Andy's comment of there being lots to comment on?

I was thinking same coanda design (hump with slot for exhaust) but instead of been on the side leading inward, It might be on top leading downward (with same slot gap) If we look at the top of the sidepods closely we notice it has the same recess as the e20 from last season.

#393 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 899 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:23

I was thinking same coanda design (hump with slot for exhaust) but instead of been on the side leading inward, It might be on top leading downward (with same slot gap) If we look at the top of the sidepods closely we notice it has the same recess as the e20 from last season.

Again, I think there are rules for the angle of the exhaust - its all very tight around this area these days. This being the launch mock up - what hits the track next week may be quite different.

#394 vlado

vlado

• 190 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:25

Thanks for that!

So.. McLaren and Ferrari shared a wind tunnel to develop their cars for 2013 ? That must be a first :drunk:

#395 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:28

What appears on track usually is very close to the launch car. I'm sure bits and pieces will be added, such as the pod wings, and no doubt teh front and rear wings will change slightly, but I'd be very surprised if the exhaust layout changed. It looks like a further refinement of what they had last season.

We were all too quick to write off Ferrari's pull rod last year, how wrong we were.

#396 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 5,955 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:33

Looks very nice I think, glad to see we still don't have the stepped nose on show :) let's just hope it's fast - and reliable this year! :)

#397 toxicfusion

toxicfusion

• 519 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:34

All speculation of course.

Indeed, which is why I find people comparing the photo of this car with last years a little baffling. The exhaust on the MP4-27 and its bodywork at launch was changed at one of the test into a more streamlined version. So the car didn't look like it did for long.

Edited by toxicfusion, 31 January 2013 - 16:35.

#398 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 899 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:37

We were all too quick to write off Ferrari's pull rod last year, how wrong we were.

Or not - lets see what fun it causes on the track first eh :)

That aside, it is possible that this is something that Pat Fry may have been working on at McLaren and took to Ferrari - as Ferrari were looking for bigger gains they may have rushed it onto the car thus beating McLaren to deploy it first. Fry has been quoted recently as saying that some of the things on the last Ferrari were things he was working on at McLaren before he left so you never know :)

#399 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,373 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:47

scarbs

http://www.youtube.c...p;v=Dk9o9d4oBz8

Advertisement

#400 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,769 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:59

http://imgur.com/HiD2Gwr

was this posted already? well - here it is.