* * * - - 10 votes

The RB9 - Red Bull Racing's challenger for 2013

• Please log in to reply
1490 replies to this topic

#701 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 15:59

I am starting to love to hate this Vettel Kid. Could someone beat him asap?

Advertisement

#702 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 16:12

Great stuff from Seb. This drive was up there with Spa11, at least in terms of the sheer joy it brought for me. The aggression at the start, the tyre management and the scintillating pace brought back memories of that race in which Seb truly came of age IMO. (MA)

Edited by gillesthegenius, 21 April 2013 - 16:14.

#703 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 16:16

Seb, the Man!

#704 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 16:38

Ask Sutil to do it.... :D

Seriously, Sutil was 81s behind Vettel at the end of lap 2, but finished the race only 76s behind the 3x champion. That is an amazing stat brought to you by Adam Cooper.

#705 weareracing

weareracing

• 890 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 23:03

Just thought I'd pop-in to say well done Seb and Red Bull.
Early in the season I know but 4-in-a-row in 2013 to join Juan Manuel Fangio?
Perfection today, especially in the turn5/6 flick flacks :up:

#706 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,110 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:52

Seb absolutely braining it.
Supreme.

Mark needs to get on top of these tyres ASAP. especially with massa upping his game with this years ferrari.

#707 reggie

reggie

• 103 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:54

Newey is just too strong. 5 years in a row with the best car. Its basically the 90s repeating when Williams were untouchable from 92-97, the only difference is that they constantly changed drivers, while Vettel has just stayed and been rewarded with win after win. Pretty dark era in the sport imo. Nobody likes to see a designer dominate so much. It takes away the value of the competition.

Edited by reggie, 22 April 2013 - 04:55.

#708 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:04

It is more than the designer. The team makes fewer faults than the competition, Vettel is fast, constistent and makes few faults.

#709 reggie

reggie

• 103 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:09

It is more than the designer. The team makes fewer faults than the competition, Vettel is fast, constistent and makes few faults.

The designer is the biggest difference from the other teams. All the rest you list is not what makes the difference. Its only icing on the cake.

#710 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:10

Who said Seb doesn't has a sense of humor; at least I think its funny.

DC (interviewer)
Seb, there was a lot of wheel-to-wheel in first laps. Can you recall much?

Seb
Nice to see you David. There is no alcohol in this, so yes, I can.

I should add that joke about women will probably get him in trouble. They will came back to him on that, I would not be surprised.

Edited by Sakae, 22 April 2013 - 05:16.

#711 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:03

The designer is the biggest difference from the other teams. All the rest you list is not what makes the difference. Its only icing on the cake.

Really? From pure speed the McLaren was a match last season, but they had too many faults (technical, operational and drivers) to fight for the titles.

#712 cooper

cooper

• 388 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:12

RBR look to be the team to beat this year.. Lotus are in the runnings as are ferrari.. Merc slowly following the pack! Impressive race by Vettel to lead and have such a margin by the end.

I thin the designer does make a huge difference but RBR are a team that have it all knitted together. Good team, great ops, great stops, strong drivers, a 3 time world champion and the reliability has been pretty solid.

It will take a huge feat to beat a team that is coming to the races weekend after weekend and consistently making it work.

#713 reggie

reggie

• 103 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:15

Really? From pure speed the McLaren was a match last season, but they had too many faults (technical, operational and drivers) to fight for the titles.

Then it wasn't as good a car was it.

#714 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:28

But the car designer has little influence on strategy, pit stopps or driver errors - has he?

#715 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:48

Who said Seb doesn't has a sense of humor; at least I think its funny.

DC (interviewer)
Seb, there was a lot of wheel-to-wheel in first laps. Can you recall much?

Seb
Nice to see you David. There is no alcohol in this, so yes, I can.

I have to find it funny as it's something I would say myself as well :p

#716 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:54

But the car designer has little influence on strategy, pit stopps or driver errors - has he?

OK, Newety seems to do great job in designing fast and high down force Formula One Car and did beat much of grid, this does not make the best operator.
Seb without Marko is the way to go.

#717 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:00

Correct. Which points to the fact that RBR is a great team consisting of great drivers, designers, engineers, strategists, pit crews, etc. Newey or Vettel alone does not make this team ticked.

#718 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:18

Correct. Which points to the fact that RBR is a great team consisting of great drivers, designers, engineers, strategists, pit crews, etc. Newey or Vettel alone does not make this team ticked.

That was my point of view in the debate, so I naturaly agree with you.

#719 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 13:50

Yay for Red Bull getting the tyres right for this race. I am pretty sure Red Bull's lobbying to have harder tyres are substantiated by this race seeing as how the 2 hardest compounds work best for them.

Really got to love how excited Sebastian sounds with (almost) every race win.

Advertisement

#720 wayned

wayned

• 20 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 14:57

I am pretty sure Red Bull's lobbying to have harder tyres are substantiated by this race seeing as how the 2 hardest compounds work best for them.

Why should one team have so much say in the tyres, all the other teams are managing.

I hope they do not change the tyres, I do not want to see one team dominate.

Really got to love how excited Sebastian sounds with (almost) every race win.

Childish springs to mind, the way he carried on yesterday made him sound like he had won the championship.

#721 apoka

apoka

• 3,569 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 15:43

Childish springs to mind, the way he carried on yesterday made him sound like he had won the championship.

Did I miss something? He was just happy and it was not the same behaviour as after a WDC win.

#722 joshb

joshb

• 3,311 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 16:22

Did I miss something? He was just happy and it was not the same behaviour as after a WDC win.

Maybe there was particular emphasis/feeling seen as it was the first win after the Malaysia episode

#723 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 18:39

Why should one team have so much say in the tyres, all the other teams are managing.

I hope they do not change the tyres, I do not want to see one team dominate.

Pirelli, up to date, are not giving in. Red Bull has every right to their opinion (and the voicing of it), but it doesn't mean they have "so much say" in the tyres.

As for the latter... if you say so. :rolleyes:

#724 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,433 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 20:29

As for the latter... if you say so. :rolleyes:

People have as much of a right to criticise Vettel's behaviour as Vettel has to act as he does after a win.

#725 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:23

Red Bull RB9 rear wing variations
http://www.formula1....3/896/1059.html

Red Bull RB9 blown wheel hubs

http://www.formula1....3/896/1058.html

#726 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:34

New Lower Downforce Beam Wing on RB9

Red Bull introduced a new beam wing on its RB9 this weekend at Bahrain. The new version will generate a little bit less downforce than the more conventional one used during the first 3 races of the season. Although a smaller beam wing it itself is nothing special, the roundings on the trailing edge of the wing are interesting indeed. The element is aimed at generating more downforce close to the centreline of the car while the reduced frontal area will cause less drag and downforce closer to the rear wing endplates.

Also new on the RB9 is the different cut-out on the central hot air outlet, aimed at keeping the car's internals at acceptable temperatures in the heat of Bahrain.

http://www.f1technic...development/404

#727 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:35

Tho I hold critical opinion, Newey remains imaginative. Should like to see him for a Brazilian Race Squad sooner.

#728 apoka

apoka

• 3,569 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:38

New Lower Downforce Beam Wing on RB9

http://www.f1technic...development/404

So RB is now building slower cars to be able to race faster. :up:

#729 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:23

So RB is now building slower cars to be able to race faster. :up:

Great result for RBR in Malaysia and Bahrain, where the races utilized Pirelli's hardest compound as the races' main tyres. Mere coincidence that RBR cars worked great on the hardest compound?

The win in Bahrain is great and points to a much better start to the European season. Pirelli will be making changes to their tyres - whether it is a major change or just a slight tweak - it will work in favor of RBR. The fact that there were 3 occurences of tyres failure last weekend (Massa twice, Hamilton once) should put additional pressures on Pirelli to produce harder/better tyres for the upcoming races.

What types of tyres will Pirelli introduce in Barcelona? I believe they'll nominate mediums and softs.

#730 skc

skc

• 1,233 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:43

Newey is just too strong. 5 years in a row with the best car. Its basically the 90s repeating when Williams were untouchable from 92-97, the only difference is that they constantly changed drivers, while Vettel has just stayed and been rewarded with win after win. Pretty dark era in the sport imo. Nobody likes to see a designer dominate so much. It takes away the value of the competition.

Err, Newey is competing isn't he? Not his fault that other designers aren't up to scratch.

And this argument is moot anyway because I'm pretty sure the RB was only really dominant during one of SV's titles. As of right now, you'd have to say the Lotus, Red Bull and Ferrari are very evenly matched. Pros and cons either way. It's going to come down to which driver makes the less mistakes and which team is the most efficient.

#731 Owen

Owen

• 10,579 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:14

Red Bull has changed alternator provider for this season, Magneti Marelli changes to TAG McLaren
@joseluisf1

#732 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 841 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:35

Red Bull being the works Renault squad, would that apply also then for the other Renault supplied teams?

#733 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:21

Err, Newey is competing isn't he? Not his fault that other designers aren't up to scratch.

And this argument is moot anyway because I'm pretty sure the RB was only really dominant during one of SV's titles. As of right now, you'd have to say the Lotus, Red Bull and Ferrari are very evenly matched. Pros and cons either way. It's going to come down to which driver makes the less mistakes and which team is the most efficient.

Yep, Newey could have two Webbers in his squad (instead Vettel), and no one would ever know how good designer he is.

#734 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 17:58

Talking about two Webbers; how about two Neweys; its a mystery how he will divide his wisdom holding 2013 WCC up and up, yet also design 2014 car...

#735 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 00:35

Hard compound to be made harder, while the rests of the compounds shall be maintained by Pirelli starting with Spanish GP. In 2012, the following GPs used hard compound - Malaysia, Barcelona, Silverstone, Spa, Monza, Japan, India, US and Brazil.

Advantage for RBR racing? But in 2012, RBR only won 3 out of 9 races on hard compound. In 2013, they are 2 out of 2 in Malaysia and Bahrain.

Your thoughts?

#736 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,660 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:13

Hard compound to be made harder, while the rests of the compounds shall be maintained by Pirelli starting with Spanish GP. In 2012, the following GPs used hard compound - Malaysia, Barcelona, Silverstone, Spa, Monza, Japan, India, US and Brazil.

Advantage for RBR racing? But in 2012, RBR only won 3 out of 9 races on hard compound. In 2013, they are 2 out of 2 in Malaysia and Bahrain.

Your thoughts?

In 2012, there was another car which also made good use of the hard tyres - the McLaren.

#737 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:29

In 2012, there was another car which also made good use of the hard tyres - the McLaren.

Yes, McLaren was quite dominant on hard tyres winning 4 out of 9 races last year - Spa, Monza, US and Brazil. But I'm not sure whether they have the car to compete this year.

#738 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 841 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:38

The hard tyre is also getting a wider operating range. I have to wonder if they plan to use the hard tyre now at some tracks where they wanted to use the Medium initially.

#739 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,852 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:35

Posted Image

Advertisement

#740 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:07

Your thoughts?

Yes they only won 3 out of those 9 but in none of the ones they didn't did they really have a tyre issue.

In Barcelona they were still sorting out the car aerodynamically and still having major issues, along with everyone still figuring out the tyres. In other races there were other issues with temperatures, the character of the track itself etc.

So I would say that if not good this change is certainly not a bad thing.

#741 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:07

Your thoughts?

Too many variables IMO. But it should help them, especially if the Hard will be paired with the Medium.

Although I am curious to see how the RB9 will respond to the Supersofts and Softs in hotter temperatures. The only two races the SS and Softs were used, both are in cooler conditions.

#742 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 13:55

It should be better but the 2013 SS will probably continue to be useless.

#743 prty

prty

• 5,164 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:33

Vettel and Helmut Marko on holidays in Spain :lol:

Posted Image

#744 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 878 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:14

I remember this argument when Ferrari was dormant in the early parts of the century. I used it myself on many occasions. Frankly I am not sure whether I still subscribe to it but it still reflects the reality on the ground.

#745 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:14

Too many variables IMO. But it should help them, especially if the Hard will be paired with the Medium.

Although I am curious to see how the RB9 will respond to the Supersofts and Softs in hotter temperatures. The only two races the SS and Softs were used, both are in cooler conditions.

Personally, I believe the changes of hard tyres to a sturdier compound will assist RBR tremendously this year. Lowering the tyres optimum operating temperature will also make it easier for the teams to hit the hard tyres "sweet spot". Last year, the hard tyres were used in 9 out of 20 GPs. In comparison supersofts were used 4 times, Mediums 12 times and Softs 15 times.

It is interesting to note that the first 7 GPs of this year feature 3 hards, 6 mediums, 2 softs and 3 supersofts. Compare this tyre allocation to that of last year of 2 hards, 4 mediums, 6 softs and 2 supersofts. The softs were the tyres of choice last year, whereas the same compound but rebadge as mediums this year were the tyres of choice in the 1st 7 races. The only unknown tyres were the supersofts which were used on all street circuits with the exception of Australia last year - Monaco, Canada, Singapore and Korea.

#746 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:48

http://www.motorspor...ing-mateschitz/

"We've even had to scale down our car, because the tyres were not lasting.
If we really went as fast as we can, we would need 10 to 15 pitstops,"

#747 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,564 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:11

http://www.motorspor...ing-mateschitz/

"We've even had to scale down our car, because the tyres were not lasting.
If we really went as fast as we can, we would need 10 to 15 pitstops,"

He's so full of sh*t. I'm sure all the other teams would argue the same. No one goes balls out, they got close to that in the refueling era but even then they would've been saving fuel etc to try and make a stint longer. I think the big difference between then and now is that we hear the team radio so are more aware that they're driving to a delta. I'm sure if we could listen to what was going on before or had the same insight in to team tactics there would be the same thing going on albeit not quite as extreme.

#748 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:50

How is he "full of shit" ?

#749 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,564 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 13:21

How is he "full of shit" ?

Its a nonsense comment. I'm sure marussia could do much faster lap times if they didn't have to worry about the number of times they pitted but that's the nature of the beast.

#750 kenkip

kenkip

• 471 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:05

There is an interesting interview in the Dailymail today with Lewis Hamilton,my apologies I dont know how to put up a link.
Its a facinating article where he talks about a wide range of stuff but there is a line that I found interesting,he said Vettel is able to drive over the astroturf and use a little more curb than is allowed,but he can get away with it.
I dont understand what Lewis is on about there,does he mean the RB9's downforce levels is so superior that Seb can make mistakes and get away with it?
Last season he said the something similar,Seb makes many mistakes during a lap but still gets the car on pole,is he refering to the same thing here?
P.s -If someone can put up the link it would be fantastic.Also,i am not having a go at Hamilton,on the contary i think this may provide some useful insight into the RB9.