* * * - - 10 votes

The RB9 - Red Bull Racing's challenger for 2013

• Please log in to reply
1490 replies to this topic

#51 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 908 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 18:40

Posted about this on the launch thread but seems appropriate here. The back end of that is extremely small, very little there and it makes me wonder if it was influenced by the FW33 and they've shrank/moved/altered the gearbox to get that area so small?

The Williams gearbox is very low, not slim - the photo's of the RB9 show a tall box, just very slim (from what we can see). It also appears to be missing bodywork that normally streamlines off this element of the drivetrain.

Advertisement

#52 Zava

Zava

• 5,018 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 18:43

They run a less powerful KERS system to allow for smaller batteries - this is due to packaging requirements.

you don't say?
as I've said in my post you replied to, yes, we know they run a 2/3 strength KERS in 2011 - but does that tell us anything about their current car?

#53 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,932 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:00

Car looks stunning, like the livery and that rear is by far the tightest there is! But what matters is what the car holds under the hood and RB9 will be tough to beat for everyone else.

#54 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 908 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:03

you don't say?
as I've said in my post you replied to, yes, we know they run a 2/3 strength KERS in 2011 - but does that tell us anything about their current car?

They ran the same system last year for the same reasons. They also have cooling issues with the batteries because of where they are located in the car which is another reason for the lower power system. This years car appears no different - and due to the rules being the same they have no real reason to change it.

#55 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,900 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:06

Car looks stunning, like the livery and that rear is by far the tightest there is! But what matters is what the car holds under the hood and RB9 will be tough to beat for everyone else.

Let's wait and see. It's an evolution and if McLaren evolved their car as well then McLaren will be the car to beat again.

#56 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:11

Posted Image

#57 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:12

Posted Image

#58 JonathanProc

JonathanProc

• 266 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:16

Hmm, that new livery just makes me think of these:

Posted Image

#59 katmen

katmen

• 572 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:17

my comment: no existent ass and very tiny sidepods

Advertisement

#60 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:17

Let's wait and see. It's an evolution and if McLaren evolved their car as well then McLaren will be the car to beat again.

From what i've read the Macca is a bit evolution and a bit revolution, pull rod front suspension, higher chassis (by 7cm according to Scarbs!) and a larger RBR style rear wishbone encasing the drive shaft and rear track rod.

Might be one or two teething issues early doors.

#61 chumma

chumma

• 960 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:28

The angle of that nose tip...I bet we seem some serious flexing of that nose this year. Especially after the 'rubber nose' scandal from Abu Dahbi last year.

#62 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,083 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:32

And again..year after year, another very small and neatly packaged rear of the Red Bull car! Amazing!

This car will be winner you can bet on it, and probably (unfortunately) superior to others, another championship winning car by Newey! :(

#63 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,926 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:36

The angle of that nose tip...I bet we seem some serious flexing of that nose this year. Especially after the 'rubber nose' scandal from Abu Dahbi last year.

Me too. Maybe that was the reason they didn't have the vanity panel? This way, it will be a lot less obvious if the wing is flexing.
Newey might have done it again, that fox.

#64 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,159 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:37

And again..year after year, another very small and neatly packaged rear of the Red Bull car! Amazing!

This car will be winner you can bet on it, and probably (unfortunately) superior to others, another championship winning car by Newey! :(

I don't think there is anything to be amazed for. Red Bull have had such tight rear-end since 2010. I remember last season Ferrari's rear-end tipped as the tightest one and will be very quick but you saw how fast they were. You cannot take anything granted in Formula 1. Teams will be closer than last year.

#65 Treads

Treads

• 772 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:53

I don't think there is anything to be amazed for. Red Bull have had such tight rear-end since 2010. I remember last season Ferrari's rear-end tipped as the tightest one and will be very quick but you saw how fast they were. You cannot take anything granted in Formula 1. Teams will be closer than last year.

Has anyone remarked on the wheelnuts yet? Something interesting going on there?

#66 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,159 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:56

Has anyone remarked on the wheelnuts yet? Something interesting going on there?

I think teams will push hard for average 2.5-3.0 second pit-stops consistently and I'm sure they'll achieve that. Red Bull improved their pit stops effectively at the end of the season.

#67 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:58

Will Vettel be sporting a "purple helmet" to match the car? :eek:

Edited by senna da silva, 03 February 2013 - 19:59.

#68 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:59

Arguably the car with the ugliest nose so far and somehow pretty much every other car looks so far better. Maybe it is my mood today. Loved their video, top stuff and I agree fully with the top-voted tube comment.

As a RBR car you should not waste much time looking at the classic development parts like the frontwing etc. The car itself is so far clearly a logical evolution of the RB8, following the lineage founded by the RB5. The sidepds and the rear catch of course the eye and seem to have been an area were a great deal of the ressources has gone into. It has not much sense to write about finer details at the rear as clearly this is the area which they didn't like to present. I will wait for daylight and good pics.

Korean spec RB8:

Posted Image

Posted Image

RB9 launch:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The cross-tunnels/S-ducts seem now to be better integrated into the overall package, especially the sidepods are much more progressively shaped. The distance between the end of the coandaramp and the diffusor seems to be bigger, with the ramp finishing earlier. So also a logical evolution of last years development from V3 to V3.2. Incredible tight rear, and I thought the RB8 looked anorexic there. Packaging must have been quite a task and maybe they did stretch that gearbox a bit. Of course the car is still push-rod up-front, so it seems that decided against investing the considerable ressources to go pull-rod.

I can just repeat myself, we will have to get that car out on the track, with as little umbrellas as possibles to get a decent idea of some areas. As I know Red Bull we will see some interesting bits arriving only towards the end of the testing, although with the recent insight about the 'banned' first RB8 exhaust package I would say we won't see quite a surprise in the last track days.

P.S: It does look a bit stretched and the rear suspension seems even more angled forward. Once we have some decent shots it will be easier so I won't comment much more on it until it hits the track.

Edited by H2H, 03 February 2013 - 20:14.

#69 Matt Somers

Matt Somers

• 550 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 21:08

H2H has hit the nail on the head the RB9 is clearly an evolution of the 8 but there are a few neat tricks up their sleeves (most of which we won't get to see til testing or beyond) I posted this in the launch thread earlier but here's my analysis of the RB9: http://somersf1.blog...-lauch.html?m=1

#70 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 21:30

INFINITI became the biggest sponsor :eek:
RB9 is using the famous Midnight Purple paint from Skyline.

RBR = Barcelona FC

Vettel = Messi

Posted Image

Edited by V3TT3L, 03 February 2013 - 21:39.

#71 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 21:54

Looks like the tunnel is bigger and the wheelbase is shorter.

#72 sniper80

sniper80

• 525 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 22:00

Damn, that livery is so awful!!

#73 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,772 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 22:11

I assume everyone saw this...

http://www.youtube.c...p;v=-t6cxIeCIjE

#74 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 22:20

With Infiniti the biggest sponsor and Renault engines labeling Red Bull as their works team, has Red Bull now essentially become an actual car manufacturer F1 team, albeit owned and run by a drinks company?

Edited by F.M., 03 February 2013 - 22:20.

#75 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,159 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 22:38

With Infiniti the biggest sponsor and Renault engines labeling Red Bull as their works team, has Red Bull now essentially become an actual car manufacturer F1 team, albeit owned and run by a drinks company?

Nope

#76 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,230 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 22:40

The Infiniti sponsorship looks horrible

#77 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 22:52

So essentially Renault have moved from backing the Enstone team to sponsoring RBR through Infiniti.

#78 Sin

Sin

• 1,952 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 00:19

With that colour I can't wait to see the thing move

I will cheer for RB to win this year again *hopes*

Edited by Sin, 04 February 2013 - 00:21.

#79 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,092 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:05

Drinks company made another great ass

Superb :up:

Advertisement

#80 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,657 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:30

It is stunningly beautiful. I hope it will be just such a stunner on track.

#81 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:34

I think the colour scheme is fantastic, the way they've melded in the Infiniti purple with the Red Bull red and blue is quite stunning.

#82 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 779 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:21

Beauty is as beauty does ... when we have a 1-2 at Melbourne, it will be a great looking car ... :wave:

Until then, it all just waffle.

#83 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 779 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:24

I think the colour scheme is fantastic, the way they've melded in the Infiniti purple with the Red Bull red and blue is quite stunning.

That is what you get when you hire CH and AN, the prettiest car on the grid - 4x WDC/WCC are just a formality now :rolleyes: :rotfl:

Edited by GreenMachine, 04 February 2013 - 05:25.

#84 aray

aray

• 2,630 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:15

the car is really beautiful...:up:

#85 Sin

Sin

• 1,952 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:35

another thing about this video I get hungry watching it... cause when the guy puts the glue on the brick.... it looks like melted white chocolate or pudding :o

#86 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,749 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:53

Excellent analysis, H2H!!

Just by looking at the car it seems formidable - fortunately we won´t have to wait for ages to see those beasts on the track.

#87 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,468 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:06

The side shot is the primary "Red Bull" advertising found in the sports sections of newspapers, aside from the driver overalls, which were also revised to have clear Red Bull branding a couple of seasons back.
Of course, "Red Bull" has never been legible on the rear wing from the front-on photograph, being on the lower plane of the wing.

I guess they (livery designers, branding experts) assume everybody already knows "Red Bull + F1 = win win win" very well?

It is strange that they would sell that space to Infiniti, but $$ is $$ I guess.

[And then you have boss of Nissan USA saying that Infiniti interiors are crap and not up to BMW standard, and he would like Infiniti to "go away". Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! :eek: ]

#88 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:27

And then you have boss of Nissan USA saying that Infiniti interiors are crap and not up to BMW standard, and he would like Infiniti to "go away". Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

I own a current X5, and have had a test drive of the Infiniti M model.... I think the interior fit and finish and the tactile feel of the controls is every bit as good as my X5.

In my opinion, Lexus sets the standard for interior fit & finish.

Edited by NotSoSilentBob, 04 February 2013 - 07:28.

#89 HPT

HPT

• 1,165 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:44

In my opinion, Lexus sets the standard for interior fit & finish.

Lexus sets the standard in almost all areas. It's due to this that they have become the US' #1 imported luxury car in the late 90s and early 2000s (not sure about today maybe they still are) when BMW and especially Mercedes-Benz got a bit complacent. I still remember my old SC400 had convenience features such as steering auto-tilt and seat auto-adjust for to make entering the car easier for the driver (which only became standard in BMW and MB almost a decade after Lexus had them) and even had a Nakamichi sound system that autmatically reduces the volume of the stereo when it detects that people are talking inside, and it adjusted itself up on the freeways when the outside noise would increase. The engine was also supremely quiet with absolutely no vibration. Sometimes you can't even tell if the engine is switched on or off.

The rest have caught up in most areas now and Lexus' designs aren't as good as they once were but they still make pretty remarkable cars.

Edited by HPT, 04 February 2013 - 07:45.

#90 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,280 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:46

Well dodgy paint job, Ferrari and Sauber best looking cars so far.

#91 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 20:14

Posted Image

Posted Image

#92 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 20:59

Well a longish post went down the drain by a crash so I will keep it short:

The upper front wishbone mounting point has been indeed moved back, you can see it from the proportions of the triangle and the relative position of the removable quadratic panel and the Renault logo. The fin in front of the rear tyre is shorter and smaller and gives the impression of a much wider space between the rear tyres and the coandaramp. Overall the crossducts seem to be considerably better intergrated in the sidpods and the rear package, the coke bottle is much smoother inboard.

Thanks for the nice write-ups, Matt Somers. Loved the piece about the RBR evolution starting with the RB5.

#93 oetzi

oetzi

• 2,987 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 21:08

Posted Image

Posted Image

#94 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,468 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:19

Well dodgy paint job, Ferrari and Sauber best looking cars so far.

It's not that bad. :confused:

People say "boooring, we want united colours of benetton back somewhere in F1"... then get the united colours of benetton back and complain that it's dodgy. Sure is hard to please a large crowd of divided opinions!

Posted Image
A bit ricer/showy but it will attract the teenagers, who will go on to buy Infinitis when they are older. Seeing as their parents might already be devotees of Audi or Lexus, and impossible to convert.

RBR have done an excellent job of extracting a large number of pennies from Nissan/Renault that's for sure! :eek:

Infiniti think it is better to sponsor a fizzy drink car with french engine, than to build their own sportscar and win Le Mans under their own name with a works entry. It is a very "interesting" strategy to say the least. I would say dubious IMHO. Of course F1 is not all about Europe. It may do wonders to help establish Infiniti against Mercedes and BMW in the Asian, South American and Middle East markets.

The more things change the more they stay the same: http://www.autoracin...w/Scheckter.jpg . Who says there cannot be friends in business (well unless you are fired Nissan/Renault employee fired by Ghosn! :eek: ). I can't believe they build many Renault models in Korea, it is so strange IMO, wouldn't production in Nissan plants in Japan be more credible ?

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 05 February 2013 - 02:25.

#95 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:14

I think the nose looks really bad. I thought last years' nose was quite nice and well thought out, but the one this year makes my eyes hurt.

It's not that bad. :confused:

People say "boooring, we want united colours of benetton back somewhere in F1"... then get the united colours of benetton back and complain that it's dodgy. Sure is hard to please a large crowd of divided opinions!

Posted Image
A bit ricer/showy but it will attract the teenagers, who will go on to buy Infinitis when they are older. Seeing as their parents might already be devotees of Audi or Lexus, and impossible to convert.

RBR have done an excellent job of extracting a large number of pennies from Nissan/Renault that's for sure! :eek:

Infiniti think it is better to sponsor a fizzy drink car with french engine, than to build their own sportscar and win Le Mans under their own name with a works entry. It is a very "interesting" strategy to say the least. I would say dubious IMHO. Of course F1 is not all about Europe. It may do wonders to help establish Infiniti against Mercedes and BMW in the Asian, South American and Middle East markets.

The more things change the more they stay the same: http://www.autoracin...w/Scheckter.jpg . Who says there cannot be friends in business (well unless you are fired Nissan/Renault employee fired by Ghosn! :eek: ). I can't believe they build many Renault models in Korea, it is so strange IMO, wouldn't production in Nissan plants in Japan be more credible ?

Le Mans doesn't get 1/10th of the coverage of F1, especially outside of Europe.

#96 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,445 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:24

I think it's a great looking car personally. STR is nice too (wish they would get rid of that gold though)

#97 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,657 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:31

Even the trucks are hot. I am diggin this new livery lots.

#98 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:54

Looks good so far, a good amount of laps. Some nice pics as well.

#99 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 13:50

Considering they had to add the purple, it was a terrific paint job. Won't stop me from thinking about Cadbury chocolate, though. :love:

As someone has already mentioned, a winning car is a beautiful car. RB9 has the DNA of a winner already, now it just has to prove it.

Advertisement

#100 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 14:26

Looks good so far, a good amount of laps. Some nice pics as well.

Looks good indeed. So far I'm seeing exactly what I wanted to see, a car that is a refined version incorporating all the stuff from last season and a car that is ready to go.

And it seems that they've hit the ground running. So far so good. Makes you extra curious as to what they are planning to bring for the last test. I wonder what is their main development area is right now. Maybe the passive DRD they are investigating?