* * * - - 10 votes

The RB9 - Red Bull Racing's challenger for 2013

• Please log in to reply
1490 replies to this topic

#1101 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,983 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 16:57

What is amazing its that the red bull car looks strong in all conditions.They are very fast in coller,warm conditions,they are good in rain(Changing conditions).
Really the other teams should be afraid of this fact!

I'm more afraid that they are so far ahead already, and we haven't even been to the Red Bull tracks yet.

Advertisement

#1102 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 17:09

I'm more afraid that they are so far ahead already, and we haven't even been to the Red Bull tracks yet.

Webber was according to some local experts.

#1103 weltmeister1995

weltmeister1995

• 137 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 17:09

Yes Singapur,Korea,Japan,India,Abu dhabi tracks are coming slowly but surelly,if we manage to get the gap up in WDC(with vettel) until the Singapur to 50 points then its going to be easier...
Obviously the tyre test should really help us a lot.In 3 weeks time,here comes our very good track the Hungaroring...
If its going to be hot,the fight for the victory will be between Red Bull,Lotus maybe also Alonso for sure...
I hope Vettel finally brakes the duck there...
Its a good day,the best... :wave:
BTW:if we are comparing Kimi and Vettel on race pace,Vettel was a little bit faster in most part of race,the tyre deg seems just a little bit better still on lotus car,but Red Bull has already solve the most of the problem with the tyre warmup ...
At the last stint,when Kimi did have softer tyres as Sebastian,Kimi was on average just 0.400 faster then Vettel from lap 51 to the end.And we know that the softs were a 1 second faster then the medium.I think that the Red Bulls had the best race today,but were suffering with deg a little more then lotus...
http://en.mclarenf-1...en#.UdmhdPmSKuI

Edited by weltmeister1995, 07 July 2013 - 17:19.

#1104 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:26

At the last stint,when Kimi did have softer tyres as Sebastian,Kimi was on average just 0.400 faster then Vettel from lap 51 to the end.And we know that the softs were a 1 second faster then the medium.I think that the Red Bulls had the best race today,but were suffering with deg a little more then lotus...
http://en.mclarenf-1...en#.UdmhdPmSKuI

If I am not mistaken, the tyres used by Raikkonen in that last stint had gone through 2 heat cycles, ie 6 laps. That's why Raikkonen was not faster than Sebastian by a 1sec/lap margin as you'd expect from that compound.

#1105 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 00:18

As expected, Lotus lamented the fact that safety car might have cost them the victory.

Lotus says F1 German GP safety car ruined victory hopes

"The safety car did not help on this," Boullier told AUTOSPORT, referring to the fact that Grosjean was on fresher rubber than Vettel at that stage of the race.
"We had to rebuild the strategy a little bit after the safety car."

#1106 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:44

http://en.espnf1.com...ory/115945.html

However, with changes being made to the tyres and the softs holding up better than expected during a warm race in Germany, Hembery revealed the same tyres from the Nurburgring would be run in Hungary.

"I think you'll see this same kind of combination again," Hembery said when asked by ESPN if the soft tyre's performance would cause Pirelli to rethink its plans. "I think it's quite right that we are going to Hungary with the soft and medium; if you went soft and super-soft I think it might end up with four stops for everybody and they're all really struggling. Here you see the two contrasts and I think we'll see something similar in Hungary."

So, Pirelli might change the tire nomination for Hungary then.

It might hurt RBR a bit but then it shouldn't be too bad.

Although Hembery practically gave out a hint on the tire nominations for Spa, Monza and Suzuka.

"When you get to the tougher circuits it's going to be medium and hard by default basically. Your Monzas, Suzakas and Spa; there's no real option there this time round because we are so aggressive and the cars are so much quicker.

That should be good news for RBR on those tracks.

Edited by encircled, 10 July 2013 - 11:52.

#1107 joshb

joshb

• 3,311 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:17

http://en.espnf1.com...ory/115945.html

So, Pirelli might change the tire nomination for Hungary then.

It might hurt RBR a bit but then it shouldn't be too bad.

Although Hembery practically gave out a hint on the tire nominations for Spa, Monza and Suzuka.

That should be good news for RBR on those tracks.

Medium and Hard for Monza? Really?
I thought with it being all straights, there's less stress on the tyres, so i'd though Soft/Medium or even Super Soft

#1108 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:28

I thought with it being all straights, there's less stress on the tyres, so i'd though Soft/Medium or even Super Soft

Agreed. Monza is one of the easiest tracks on tyres, in terms of degredation. Both the 2011 and 12 races were 1 stop.

#1109 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 14:01

Agreed. Monza is one of the easiest tracks on tyres, in terms of degredation. Both the 2011 and 12 races were 1 stop.

2 stops were the order in 2011. Nobody completed the race back then on a 1-stop strategy.

http://www.f1fanatic...it-stops-tyres/

Tire nominations back then were the Softs and Mediums.

It will be interesting to see though, if teams will mimic the Perez-Sauber strategy of using the harder tire first then switching to the softer ones in Monza.

Edited by encircled, 10 July 2013 - 14:05.

#1110 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 14:12

Parabolica I think is a high energy corner. Not sure about Curva Grande though although I think it falls into that category. Would be great if somebody can inform me more on this though.

Anyway, since the 2013 compounds are 1-grade softer than last year's in simplistic terms, one can say it is similar to Softs/Mediums of last year's.

Edited by encircled, 10 July 2013 - 14:13.

#1111 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 18:12

2 stops were the order in 2011. Nobody completed the race back then on a 1-stop strategy.

http://www.f1fanatic...it-stops-tyres/

Tire nominations back then were the Softs and Mediums.

It will be interesting to see though, if teams will mimic the Perez-Sauber strategy of using the harder tire first then switching to the softer ones in Monza.

Thanks for the correction. :)

Would not be surprised to see Red Bull try it if they are not in the fight for pole.

#1112 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 841 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:22

Monza has high thermal degradation as the high speeds heat up the tyres.

#1113 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:31

Mediums and softs for Hungary should be fine for RBR. Just a bit of drop in temperature and RBR should really get those mediums working beautifully as the race tyres. The choice is also great since Mercedes are expected to blitz through the qualifying and RBR need some sorts of tyre trouble from Mercedes to make any headway against them in the race since this is a very difficult track to overtake.

Given the high-speed corners of Monza, Spa and Suzuka with huge lateral loading placed on tyres, I think Pirelli have no choice but to nominate hards and mediums as the tyres for these GPs. Suzuka kills the front tyres with its figure 8, 130R and abrasive surface. Spa is quite bumpy and has Pouhon while Monza's Parabolica is quite demanding as well.

#1114 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:36

Hards and mediums for Monza is similar to last year. This is what Pirelli had to say about the tyres at Monza last year :-

"There are three sections of the Monza circuit that place particularly heavy demands on the tyres: the first chicane, which is characterised by heavy downhill braking, the Ascari curves – with their several rapid direction changes – and the famous Parabolica, a wide, open radius corner that puts a lot of lateral stress through the tyres.

On top of all these challenging corners, Monza also has some of the fastest straights of the year where the cars reach around 340 kilometres per hour, meaning that tyre temperatures can peak at up to 130 degrees centigrade."

#1115 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 13:50

Video - How Red Bull kept the RB9 in front

#1116 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 13:53

Red Bull Racing have likely kicked off a new trend in Formula One, as the team appeared with obvious coating on the car's floor, downstream of the exhausts. With the RB9 having one of the most effective designs to pull the exhaust gases down to the car's floor to seal the diffuser, its carbon fibre floor is also very much exposed to the heat of the burning hot exhaust gases flowing over the floor. Such single sided heat exposure is a risk for the carbon fibre laminate which may end up slightly bent, creating an unwanted effect on the car's aerodynamics. The severity of this very much depends on the exact thermal conductivity of the carbon fibres and the temperature resistance of the resin between the sheets.

More on: Heat protective floor coating to shield against exhaust flow

#1117 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,071 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 14:21

Red Bull is at Idiada circuit this weekend. They're not testing today, but will be tomorrow.

#1118 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 19:34

Is Webber's car even an RB9?

Love this.

RB8.5! :rotfl:

#1119 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 19:34

Red Bull is at Idiada circuit this weekend. They're not testing today, but will be tomorrow.

:up:

Advertisement

#1120 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:49

Video - How Red Bull kept the RB9 in front

Great video. A lot of small improvements. Even the gills on the rear wing's end plates kept changing from one GP to another.

#1121 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:50

The circuit from a tyre point of view:

The Hungaroring is a permanent circuit built in 1986 but in many ways its characteristics are similar to those of a street circuit. It’s a tight and twisty track with 14 corners and an average speed in the region of 180kph: this makes it the second-slowest circuit of the year after Monaco. The cars actually spend a lower proportion of the lap on full throttle than they do even in Monaco. Ten of the 14 corners are taken at 155kph or lower.

The circuit is not extensively used for many other races during the year, which means that the surface is often ‘green’ at the start of the weekend. As more cars run through the track a clean line emerges, but because there is only one clear line around the narrow circuit, a lot of dirt, dust and marbles accumulate off the racing line, making the problem of overtaking even harder.

The large number of narrow corners and big steering inputs mean that the edges of the tyres are subjected to peaks of temperature and wear. The tyres can sometimes overheat more on a slow and twisty track than on a fast and flowing track.

Further information about the Hungaroring and the demands it places on tyres, as well as more information about working ranges and operating temperatures, can be found on a 3D animated video starring Pirelli’s Racing Manager Mario Isola. This is copyright-free for media use on Pirelli’s Formula One website: www.pirelli.com/f1pressarea

Technical tyre notes:

The Hungaroring requires a high-downforce set-up, as the cars are on full throttle for only around 10 seconds over the course of the 4.381 kilometre lap.

The top three all selected two-stop strategies last year, although they used their tyre allocation in different ways. The top 10 on the grid all started on the soft tyre; the highest-placed starter on the medium tyre was Mark Webber in 11th, who finished the race eighth.

The performance gap between the medium and soft tyre is likely to be around a second per lap.

http://www.pirelli.c...6-28-july-2013/

#1122 Bleu

Bleu

• 777 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:54

"Second-slowest circuit of the year" is just five years outdated. Singapore is clearly slower.

#1123 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:12

Pirelli nominating Medium and Hards for Monza and Supersofts and Mediums for Singapore. Bodes well for the RB9.

#1124 joshb

joshb

• 3,311 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:31

Pirelli nominating Medium and Hards for Monza and Supersofts and Mediums for Singapore. Bodes well for the RB9.

Amazed it is mediums and hards for Monza... it's almost all straights!

#1125 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:34

Amazed it is mediums and hards for Monza... it's almost all straights!

I think it is pretty much expected to be honest. Anyway, Pirelli might change their mind again and change the nominations later on like they did for Hungary although I doubt they would, IMO of course.

#1126 Zava

Zava

• 5,041 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:35

it was med-hard for monza last year as well, wasn't it?

anyway, I'm interested if we'll see a bigger rear wing for this weekend. so far the only picture I saw was about a new sidepod fin:
Posted Image

and back to the nicer stepnose:
Posted Image

Edited by Zava, 25 July 2013 - 12:40.

#1127 skyfolker

skyfolker

• 227 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 14:59

The Hungaroring requires a high-downforce set-up, as the cars are on full throttle for only around 10 seconds over the course of the 4.381 kilometre lap.

http://www.pirelli.c...6-28-july-2013/

They probably meant in 7th gear,but otherwise,no.

#1128 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 17:20

"Second-slowest circuit of the year" is just five years outdated. Singapore is clearly slower.

Nice catch.

Singapore street circuit with its 23 corners is definitely slower in terms of average speed than Hungagoring.

#1129 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 14:46

I know that Friday practice doesn't mean much but that was pretty closely bunched up. The Ferraris aren't that far back, lacking only traction in S3.

Raikkonen was hampered by Button so there seems to be little to choose between the top cars.

No?

#1130 Blackmore

Blackmore

• 152 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 14:53

Race pace was dominant, also considering RBR always fuels heavy on Friday. But Lotus should be there abouts too.

#1131 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 19:48

Race pace was dominant, also considering RBR always fuels heavy on Friday. But Lotus should be there abouts too.

Perhaps the others haven't hit their stride yet, especially Alonso/Ferrari and the Lotuses?

Also, they'll need to start from Pole to exploit race pace. The W04s didn't feature today but Friday isn't the be all/end all. So, if Hamiton or Rosberg pips Pole, the Bulls might get stuck behinfd a Mercedes in the first 8 or 9 laps.

RBR would be foolish to underestimate the opposition and count chickens tonight.

It seems Pole is within grasp for Vettel...but we won't know until the last guy crosses the timing line tomorrow afternoon because this track evolves quite a bit.

Edited by RayInTorontoCanada, 26 July 2013 - 19:50.

#1132 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:37

It seems Pole is within grasp for Vettel...but we won't know until the last guy crosses the timing line tomorrow afternoon because this track evolves quite a bit.

Looking extremely good for Vettel and Webber - both drivers are very competitive in friday free practices.

RBR need to find more speed in the 1st sector, but their strength would be the final sector. Mercedes should get the pole again as I believe they were running very heavy in the friday practices, but Vettel should be able to split both of them or if he is lucky, get the pole.

The higher the track temperature is, the less competitive RB9s would be as evidenced at Nurburgring's qualifying. Ideally, we should be targetting for 45C and below for the race and qualifying.

FP3 in 20min time. Hopefully Vettel could dip into the high 1min 20s lap-time bettering Hamilton's Q3 lap time of last year.

#1133 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,876 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 13:08

P2 for Vettel, I thought that pole was going to be his but hats off to Hamilton because that was a great lap he delivered there. P10 for Webber and KERS issues yet again, hopefully it will be sorted in time for the race so he can work his way through the top 10 and hopefully get into the top 5.

#1134 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 22:08

Perhaps the others haven't hit their stride yet, especially Alonso/Ferrari and the Lotuses?

Also, they'll need to start from Pole to exploit race pace. The W04s didn't feature today but Friday isn't the be all/end all. So, if Hamiton or Rosberg pips Pole, the Bulls might get stuck behinfd a Mercedes in the first 8 or 9 laps.

RBR would be foolish to underestimate the opposition and count chickens tonight.

I really like what I wrote on Friday when everyone was saying how "dominant" Red Bulls were. :)

What's bad is that the RB9 is vulnerable to KERS issues and gear issues. It cost Webber today and it cost Vettel a British Grand Prix victory. So, they'll need to have their fingers crossed.

In addition, P2 on the Grid is the dirty side and that makes Vettel vulnerable to Grosjean and, possibly, Alonso.

Grosjean, especially, should be a concern because he's cost Red Bull some headaches on the first lap on more than one occasion. (As Webber knows all too well).

Vettel will need to get a great start just to maintain P2 out of the first corner or two. And, he'll have to be very careful of the young Lotus driver during the jockeying for position after the lights go out and into the first couple of breaking zones. The last thing he'll need is for the volatile Grosjean 'returning to type' and hitting him on lap 1.

Edited by RayInTorontoCanada, 27 July 2013 - 22:13.

#1135 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:15

RBR need to find more speed in the 1st sector, but their strength would be the final sector. Mercedes should get the pole again as I believe they were running very heavy in the friday practices, but Vettel should be able to split both of them or if he is lucky, get the pole.

I know it is not in good taste to quote oneself, but despite Vettel splitting the Mercedes duo and still ends up on the front row, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed with the qualifying results. I have always felt RBR must improve in the 1st sector and Vettel did on his 2nd run in Q3, but not enough to overhaul the advantages Hamilton had in that initial phase. P2 is not a disaster, but starting on the dirty side on a low grip circuit would be a tremendous disadvantage for Vettel. Hopefully no wheelspin at the start because it is a real possibility on the dirty slippery side.

Hopefully, he could mug Hamilton and the start while fending off Grosjean from behind. I'd be happy with a podium finish. He could still come out of this GP with an increased lead in the championship.

#1136 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:24

I know it is not in good taste to quote oneself

:D Well, I did in the post before, so I see nothing at all wrong with that! ;)

I'd be happy with a podium finish. He could still come out of this GP with an increased lead in the championship.

Well, there'd need to be a tangle or a mechanical issue for Vettel not to come out of an increased lead in the Championship.

If he can't win, i'm sure he'll be hoping Grosjean does. At least that would prevent any of the other title contenders form bagging the 25 points from Hungary.

Edited by RayInTorontoCanada, 28 July 2013 - 04:27.

#1137 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:17

If he can't win, i'm sure he'll be hoping Grosjean does. At least that would prevent any of the other title contenders form bagging the 25 points from Hungary.

I would not mind if Grosjean takes the win. Anyone but Hamilton because if Hamilton wins, the reactions from his fanboys would be insufferable and suffocating! :)

#1138 OldSoldier2

OldSoldier2

• 144 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:26

I really like what I wrote on Friday when everyone was saying how "dominant" Red Bulls were. :)

What's bad is that the RB9 is vulnerable to KERS issues and gear issues. It cost Webber today and it cost Vettel a British Grand Prix victory. So, they'll need to have their fingers crossed.

In addition, P2 on the Grid is the dirty side and that makes Vettel vulnerable to Grosjean and, possibly, Alonso.

Grosjean, especially, should be a concern because he's cost Red Bull some headaches on the first lap on more than one occasion. (As Webber knows all too well).

Vettel will need to get a great start just to maintain P2 out of the first corner or two. And, he'll have to be very careful of the young Lotus driver during the jockeying for position after the lights go out and into the first couple of breaking zones. The last thing he'll need is for the volatile Grosjean 'returning to type' and hitting him on lap 1.

Did you watch the last race in Germany? Vettel started in P2 (the dirty side), passed Hamilton who was on pole, and led the race after turn 1.

Red Bull's race pace in practice should be worrisome for the other teams.

#1139 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:52

Did you watch the last race in Germany? Vettel started in P2 (the dirty side), passed Hamilton who was on pole, and led the race after turn 1.

Red Bull's race pace in practice should be worrisome for the other teams.

The dirty side in Hungary is really dirty and Hamilton had an ok start at best in Germany which helped both RBR drivers IMO. I doubt Hamilton will have another start like that. But if Seb can keep up the place, it will be a good one already. Although Mercs are really strong on Sector 1 while RBR is relatively weak so I don't know if DRS will be enough for Seb to have a go on Lewis, considering that the Mercs are around 6 km/h higher on the speed trap than RBR.

Advertisement

#1140 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:02

Did you know that they race often at that circuit in Germany?

Did you know that they don't race much at this circuit in Hungary?

Did you know that the dirty side in Hungary is actually quite poor in terms of grip in relation to the same side at Nurburgring?

Yes, I watched it. And Hamilton got mugged by both RBRs.

But do you think Hamilton has a habbit of getting mugged?

Did you see the previous race in England where Hamilton led from pole?

Edited by RayInTorontoCanada, 28 July 2013 - 06:03.

#1141 OldSoldier2

OldSoldier2

• 144 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:50

Did you know that they race often at that circuit in Germany?

Did you know that they don't race much at this circuit in Hungary?

Did you know that the dirty side in Hungary is actually quite poor in terms of grip in relation to the same side at Nurburgring?

Yes, I watched it. And Hamilton got mugged by both RBRs.

But do you think Hamilton has a habbit of getting mugged?

Did you see the previous race in England where Hamilton led from pole?

Yes I am aware; I have time to watch all the races. Retirement has its advantages.

Hamilton was not mugged, if anything he tried to mug Vettel by cutting to the right and failed.

The more likely explanation is the Renault engine is more fuel efficient and can start lighter than the Mercedes. It is a fairly long run to the first corner in Hungary. We will see in a few hours.

BTW, I may be old but I am not stupid.

#1142 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:24

The more likely explanation is the Renault engine is more fuel efficient and can start lighter than the Mercedes. It is a fairly long run to the first corner in Hungary. We will see in a few hours.

Renault RS27 engine is generally acknowledged and accepted as the most fuel efficient car in F1 and they will start lighter than their competitors. However, I think the dirty side at Hungaroring which is hardly used over the course of the year will be difficult to overcome. But Vettel could have a perfect start and in which case, I am more than happy to be wrong.

Air temperature 37C, Track temperature 50C.

Not looking good for Mercedes duo but excellent news for Grosjean.

#1143 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 13:47

Horrible strategy right there. I do not understand why they went with a late 3-stopper strategy with Seb.

#1144 Mandrion

Mandrion

• 7 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 13:53

Horrible strategy right there. I do not understand why they went with a late 3-stopper strategy with Seb.

As always.
This team is the worst of the top teams in terms of strategy.

#1145 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:34

They threw away 3pts with questionable strategic calls for Vettel when the team released him behind Button not once, but twice. A great start from the dirty side and Vettel was sublime in defending his 2nd position against Rosberg and Grosjean. 2nd should have been his with Grosjean's drive through penalty, but the team just did not get it right today.

There was a glimpse of hope when Hamilton pitted early and was released behind Button but Vettel could not make anything out of that opportunity while in clean air. The pace was not there. He was stucked behind Button for 12 laps and lost about 12sec in the process. A 2nd place would have been great, but at least he widened his lead against Alonso, but lost 3pts against Raikkonen. Lewis looked great and might be challenging Vettel in the championship but I am not so sure that Mercedes have solved their tyres issues. This track is tough to overtake and is not that hard on tyres.

It is going to be a long 4 weeks of summer break!

#1146 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,556 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:37

And i think his second stop was also botched (looked longer than the 3 sec on the graphic).

#1147 plumtree

plumtree

• 712 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:12

Definitely it wasn't the cleanest one, but it'd be unfair to call they botched it. The slowest for him (not by much), but easily one of better one. AMuS reported this week Red Bull added extra safety pins to keep wheels attached. It seemed to slow them down slightly.

First I thought they might attemtped a 2-stopper. Then when the 2nd pitstop came a few laps too earlier for a 2-stopper (35 laps to go), it looked like 20-23 lap on that mediums + 15-12 lap on used softs...

#1148 apoka

apoka

• 3,571 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:22

Definitely it wasn't the cleanest one, but it'd be unfair to call they botched it. The slowest for him (not by much), but easily one of better one. AMuS reported this week Red Bull added extra safety pins to keep wheels attached. It seemed to slow them down slightly.

First I thought they might attemtped a 2-stopper. Then when the 2nd pitstop came a few laps too earlier for a 2-stopper (35 laps to go), it looked like 20-23 lap on that mediums + 15-12 lap on used softs...

It might have been possible to do a very long stint on mediums today (as Kimi did), since there was not that much dropoff for Vettel. I was surprised that they didn't try to pit him later and then go for that as it seemed the only strategy which could have potentially won the race (at least with the knowledge they had then - it turned out Merc was too fast today). 12-15 laps on used softs is a bit long I think. 8-12 would be better and could have got him P2.

#1149 OldSoldier2

OldSoldier2

• 144 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:31

It might have been possible to do a very long stint on mediums today (as Kimi did), since there was not that much dropoff for Vettel. I was surprised that they didn't try to pit him later and then go for that as it seemed the only strategy which could have potentially won the race (at least with the knowledge they had then - it turned out Merc was too fast today). 12-15 laps on used softs is a bit long I think. 8-12 would be better and could have got him P2.

Agree. I thought they should have waited a bit and brought Vettel in for the softs.

Good job with Mark today - 10th to 4th.

#1150 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:53

Agree. I thought they should have waited a bit and brought Vettel in for the softs.

Good job with Mark today - 10th to 4th.

They could have waited because his laptimes were not that bad when they called him to pit for the final time. TBH, I was surprised when I saw him pitting.