* * * - - 10 votes

The RB9 - Red Bull Racing's challenger for 2013

• Please log in to reply
1490 replies to this topic

#1151 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:34

I think Webber maximized the RB9 from what he had to work with today.

Vettel may have been sent into Button...but he also caused himself some damage which, probably, didn't help him against Raikkonen.

There are obvious gremlins in the RB9 but it could have gone either way:

- On the positive side, 1) Grosjean didn't finish ahead (and he would have if he hadn't need to visit the pit lane so many times), 2) Vettel and RBR both increased their points leads and 3) The Ferraris look like they won't be able to challenge.

- On the negative side, Mercedes and Lotus seem to have made some big gains and Hamilton, especially, looks like a threat everywhere.

Advertisement

#1152 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:47

It's all in the details and as far as details go, everything that could wrong did this race. Narrowly missing out on the pole, small gremlins, damage, not the best strategy calls.

But that's how it is, can't win them all:) All in all a solid result.

#1153 joshb

joshb

• 3,312 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:48

Not a disaster really.
Webber race was excellent- the sort of standard Red Bull will look for from the replacement and its a high benchmark
Didn't see it live- can anyone tell me how Seb was going before his 2nd pitstop?? he seemed to be going fine and had gone from 15 to 11 secs behind Hamilton.
Also, how much time did Seb lose on his inlap for his 1st stop? He said tyres were gone!

Happy enough but the car sucked in traffic today!

#1154 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:01

Seb's start was poor today. Why was that I am not sure, but I doubt tires were gone even before lights went off.

#1155 joshb

joshb

• 3,312 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:06

Seb's start was poor today. Why was that I am not sure, but I doubt tires were gone even before lights went off.

Dirty side of the grid. He did well to keep the others behind

#1156 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:32

It was both the dirty side and a poor start. Miracle he managed to hold on to 2nd. Other than a decent result that you can't really complain about, I can't think of much that was actually done well today.

Edited by EvanRainer, 28 July 2013 - 18:33.

#1157 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,876 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:39

After Friday I thought a 1-2 was 85% on the cards but in the end a 3rd and 4th was what we got. Disappointing but it's still 27 points overall for the team so it was a success in that regard. 4 weeks to rest and then it's Spa, I'm not quite sure what to expect from RBR at Spa. The past 2 years have been very good for the team and Seb in particular.

#1158 plumtree

plumtree

• 712 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:02

It might have been possible to do a very long stint on mediums today (as Kimi did), since there was not that much dropoff for Vettel. I was surprised that they didn't try to pit him later and then go for that as it seemed the only strategy which could have potentially won the race (at least with the knowledge they had then - it turned out Merc was too fast today). 12-15 laps on used softs is a bit long I think. 8-12 would be better and could have got him P2.

Interestingly enough, seemingly they were sure that about 23 laps on mediums was the limit. There were no particular signs of dropoff over Webber's first stint - 23 laps on mediums, while the car was the heaviest. They must have learned from the set of used mediums that the wear was on the limit or there wasn't enough rubber left to cover 7 more laps on them to make a two stopper work. One thing is clear now. Stretching out the first stint card wasn't there. Like Vettel said tyres were falling apart in his in-lap.

Not a disaster really.
Webber race was excellent- the sort of standard Red Bull will look for from the replacement and its a high benchmark
Didn't see it live- can anyone tell me how Seb was going before his 2nd pitstop?? he seemed to be going fine and had gone from 15 to 11 secs behind Hamilton.
Also, how much time did Seb lose on his inlap for his 1st stop? He said tyres were gone!

Happy enough but the car sucked in traffic today!

http://184.106.145.7..... Analysis.pdf

1 plus second. http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=6372706

#1159 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:05

Interestingly enough, seemingly they were sure that about 23 laps on mediums was the limit. There were no particular signs of dropoff over Webber's first stint - 23 laps on mediums, while the car was the heaviest. They must have learned from the set of used mediums that the wear was on the limit or there wasn't enough rubber left to cover 7 more laps on them to make a two stopper work. One thing is clear now. Stretching out the first stint card wasn't there. Like Vettel said tyres were falling apart in his in-lap.

http://184.106.145.7..... Analysis.pdf

1 plus second. http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=6372706

In the end I guess one thing that didn't work out may have been that the soft proved pretty much useless in the race which is not what originally appeared to be the case on Friday. But I could be wrong.

As for Spa, the RBR as Seb said as well is an overall great car which works and will be competitive everywhere.

Advertisement

#1160 joshb

joshb

• 3,312 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:44

I hope they gear it properly for Spa this year

#1161 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 9,037 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:41

Did anyone notice that both Seb & Mark had broken front floor/tea tray stays on their cars during the course of the race? Similar what happen to Romain on Saturday.

#1162 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,876 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:45

Did anyone notice that both Seb & Mark had broken front floor/tea tray stays on their cars during the course of the race? Similar what happen to Romain on Saturday.

I noticed it on Seb's car, I didn't notice it on Mark's car though.

#1163 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 9,037 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:02

It was definitely broken on Mark's car as well. Vettel's car also had a broken tea tray stay during the course of the German Grand Prix.

#1164 Zava

Zava

• 5,044 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:31

wow....

BSVhdMMCcAA4jyt.jpg

even the gp3 cars would be jealous of the slimness of that rear wing... :eek:

#1165 plumtree

plumtree

• 712 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:31

^ 5th fastest http://www.formula1....speed_trap.html

The fastest through the speed trap in the first 30 minutes of FP2  :p

Presumably running with different set-ups.

VET: 31.6 - 48.1 - 29.5

WEB: 32.0 - 47.3 - 29.9 (+0.059)

Edited by plumtree, 23 August 2013 - 12:40.

#1166 JaredS

JaredS

• 1,142 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:17

wow....

BSVhdMMCcAA4jyt.jpg

even the gp3 cars would be jealous of the slimness of that rear wing... :eek:

Yep a significant amount of downforce must be coming from their floor and diffuser.

#1167 Holdenboy

Holdenboy

• 97 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:20

Redbull will most definitely be on pole

#1168 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 2,004 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:35

Redbull will most definitely be on pole

Of course not. They will have a chance like always, but Mercedes will be hot on their tail like always.

#1169 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,525 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 15:28

Looking at the sector times and speed traps, it's interesting to see the rear wing play such a massive factor.  Really clear to see.

Webber quickest in S2.  Vettel quickest in S1 and S3.  Webber 301k, Vettel 305k.

It'll be interesting to see which they go with because the laptimes were similar.  If it was wet or a green track, you'd go with Webber's.. if it were rubbered in, you'd go with Seb's.

#1170 John Player

John Player

• 445 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 00:21

The yellow tip of the new nose now appears on the onboard camera.

#1171 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:36

^ 5th fastest http://www.formula1....speed_trap.html

The fastest through the speed trap in the first 30 minutes of FP2  :p

Presumably running with different set-ups.

VET: 31.6 - 48.1 - 29.5

WEB: 32.0 - 47.3 - 29.9 (+0.059)

We do not know which configuration is faster. RBR will evaluate it, get both of their drivers input and determine which set up to go based on the weather. If it is wet, the default would be the higher downforce. If it is dry, it is anybody's guess. They might even go for a split setup like McLaren last year.

Mercedes are sandbagging in free practices and will show their true speed today. When you are downshifting through Eau-Rouge, you either get your gear ratio totally wrong or you are on very high fuel load.

#1172 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:04

Sebastian Vettel - 6th/1st: "We don't know what happened when I got the puncture in P2. We lost the rear right, very suddenly, so we need to have a look - Pirelli is working on finding out why it happened. Other than that, it was a positive day. This morning was tricky with a few rain drops and the track was slippery; it's a lot colder here than Hungary, but that's Spa and part of this circuit. This afternoon, we had stable conditions and both of us seemed happy with what we had."

Mark Webber - 19th/2nd: "It's always tricky here to get the right set up for the whole lap, so we took the opportunity today to try some different ones. We'll go through it tonight. We had a pretty good run today but there's still some performance to find and we need to get the car a bit better balanced in certain conditions. Overall we got good information and it was good to have stable conditions this afternoon."

#1173 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 16:41

1 15 A. SUTIL 322.0
2 3 F. ALONSO 320.1
3 14 P. DI RESTA 320.0
4 5 J. BUTTON 318.7
5 10 L. HAMILTON 317.0
6 4 F. MASSA 316.9
7 9 N. ROSBERG 316.6
8 2 M. WEBBER 316.2
9 23 M. CHILTON 316.1
10 1 S. VETTEL 315.8

http://184.106.145.7...imum Speeds.pdf

Obviously the list isn't complete (STR drivers and Williams drivers were not able to compete in the dry Q2 session so we do not know what their top speeds are) but I think the RBR top speed relative to the opposition is good, considering that Mark and Seb are 1st and 3rd respectively in the speed trap after Eau Rouge although the low downforce setup is more beneficial in the dry than in the wet.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a win tomorrow although with the changing weather conditions, it will be very tricky not just for RBR, but for everyone else as well.

Edited by encircled, 24 August 2013 - 16:41.

#1174 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 16:54

http://184.106.145.7...imum Speeds.pdf

Obviously the list isn't complete (STR drivers and Williams drivers were not able to compete in the dry Q2 session so we do not know what their top speeds are) but I think the RBR top speed relative to the opposition is good, considering that Mark and Seb are 1st and 3rd respectively in the speed trap after Eau Rouge although the low downforce setup is more beneficial in the dry than in the wet.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a win tomorrow although with the changing weather conditions, it will be very tricky not just for RBR, but for everyone else as well.

315.8kph for Vettel and 316.2kph for Webber - that is only 0.8-1.2kph slower than Hamilton at the speed trap (145m from Les Combes). But what worries me is that it is almost impossible to follow closely through Eau Rouge due to turbulent air, and that affects the overtaking along Kemmel Straight. But full KERS + DRS might do the trick since the difference is so small.

I am hoping for a dry track rather than a mixed condition for tomorrow. Vettel will be on the podium in the dry - whether he wins it or not is a different issue, but he will be there. In the changeable condition, he might win but he might also DNF. At least, that is my view.

#1175 apoka

apoka

• 3,573 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 17:42

315.8kph for Vettel and 316.2kph for Webber - that is only 0.8-1.2kph slower than Hamilton at the speed trap (145m from Les Combes). But what worries me is that it is almost impossible to follow closely through Eau Rouge due to turbulent air, and that affects the overtaking along Kemmel Straight. But full KERS + DRS might do the trick since the difference is so small.

I am hoping for a dry track rather than a mixed condition for tomorrow. Vettel will be on the podium in the dry - whether he wins it or not is a different issue, but he will be there. In the changeable condition, he might win but he might also DNF. At least, that is my view.

For me, there is more uncertainty for tomorrow than usual. In the dry, Lotus and Ferrari looked strong, so a completely dry race may not be good. In the wet, it was hard to say how fast they are. My impression was that the Mercs enjoy wet conditions a bit more. The last forecast was a wet start and then a drying track, so the ideal scenario would be to stay with the Mercs at the beginning, hopefully pull away from Ferrari and Lotus and then attack for lead/podium in the dry. But, of course, since it's Spa something different will happen ...

#1176 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 13:33

Well, that was a straightforward race, although Webber strategy was questionable. Why did they not let Mark get the undercut vs Rosberg?

#1177 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 16:53

Sebastian Vettel - 1st: "I don't think we expected to be dominant here, and it surprised all of us actually; it's a great result. I think we knew going into the race that our race pace, compared to Mercedes, maybe gave us a little in hand, but we didn't know where we were compared to the others, especially Ferrari, and Lotus looked very quick in dry conditions also. It wasn't clear if the rain was going to come at the end of the race, so we kept pushing, but the gap we had by that stage meant we were able to control the race from there and the last couple of laps weren't too stressful."

Mark Webber - 5th: "The two practice starts before the race weren't great and so we were a bit worried about the clutch going to the start, which put us on to the back foot. We tried our best, but lost a couple of rows off the line which is not good. We then had to try and clear people on the track, which was difficult, as we had set up the top gear to race in clean air, rather than to pass. The bad start put us out of position and it snowballs from there, as you use up the tyres trying to getting to back into position."

Christian Horner, team principal: "It was a fantastic win for Sebastian and the team, which came down to the first lap. He had an average start, but managed to position himself well going through the first corner and he knew that the first run through Eau Rouge up the hill was going to be critical. He went for it, got in the tow and managed to make the move stick round the outside of Lewis and then got his head down and built up a great lead. For Mark, his clutch wasn't good in preparation going to the grid. We did our best to tidy it up but he conceded a place to Rosberg off the start. Once he was comprised in his positioning within the pack, he wasn't able to get a clean run through La Source and Alonso managed to get a run on him down the hill and pass him into Eau Rouge. Thereafter it was a matter of trying to find a way through, past the Mercedes and Ferrari ahead, but unfortunately whenever we got close enough we seemed to lose aero performance and so Mark couldn't get close enough to make a move. We didn't come here expecting to win today, so it's great to get a victory to start the second half of the season."

#1178 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:14

On Red Bull RB9 At GP Belgium

Even though it has been a point of interest since the very beginning of the season, the possibility of Red Bull Racing to run such shallow rear wings and still retain great traction is something that draws much attention. The team continues to do this as it is seemingly the most efficient way for them to keep up their top speed nearby to what other cars can achieve.

Of course, at Hungary, maximum downforce is required, and there the team ran a very big rear wing, but so were all other teams essentially. It becomes interesting when we compare the RB9's high downforce configuration with the medium downforce set-up for Spa-Francorchamps. The larger images are the race configurations of the Red Bull, with on the right an inset showing the rear wing that both Red Bull drivers have used at Spa. On the left are two insets with an even lower downforce front and rear wing, as tried by both Vettel and Webber on Friday and Saturday, until opting against their use for qualifying and the race.

Comparing the Hungarian and Belgian race configuration, it is obvious the rear wing is much shallower, creating less downforce and drag. With less low speed corners and longer straights, this makes sense. However, the front wings are identical, something that might spring a surprise, as one might expect this would create considerable oversteer and overall imbalance on the car. Instead, the drivers seem to be perfectly happy, meaning that the car's balance does not seem affected.

Knowing that front wing changes can dramatically influence the airflow onto the rear of the car, it's all in Red Bull's benefit to try to keep the front as consistent as possible. Ferrari for instance are taking an entirely different route, as their changes of rear wing during FP1 and FP2 were always paired with dramatic changes in front wing flap angles.

How exactly Red Bull can actually pull this off can likely be attributed to the car's blown diffuser. It is no secret that Red Bull has the most advanced ramp style exhaust. They've been working on it the longest and have consistently been using it since its introduction.

Knowing the the exhaust gases are directed to seal the diffuser, and also seeing Red Bull's consistent high rake, it is safe to assume that the RB9 can extract more downforce from its floor than any other car can. What is most interesting for the car's balance though is that an efficient diffuser will generate downforce over the entire floor of the car and not only at the back.

To enhance this effect, the team introduced a new nose cone, which now has a higher tip and does no longer feature the pelican bulge. It is clear that this will slightly reduce front downforce and help feed more air under the floor, helping rear downforce generation. Altogether, this will help, but it still looks unlikely that a nose change like this alone can compensate such a sizeable difference of the rear wing.

It surely is an interesting concept that allows Red Bull to be sure of the car's airflow as they do not have to fiddle too much with the front wing. Exemplary to this is the extra low downforce configuration tried in practice, where an even shallower rear wing was only joined at the front with a small front wing endplate modification and a slightly smaller surface of the upper flap of the front wing.

By Steven De Groote on 25 Aug 2013,

bel-rbr-nose.jpg

#1179 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 14:58

RB9 has been great in the previous 2 low-downforce circuits to date - Spa and Canada. The king of all low-downforce circuit will be coming up in a week time. Could RBR pull a 1,2 in this race?

I will be looking at the rash of updates for Monza, most notably the ultra-skinny rear wing, tweak to the front wing, diffuser, brake ducts, nose tip, rake, etc. Will they stick with Spa's updates or will they bring in more updates for Monza?

Advertisement

#1180 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:59

Italy preview quotes - Red Bull

Round 12 of the 2013 FIA Formula One World Championship sees the paddock journey to one of the most historic circuits on the calendar - the high-speed heaven that is Monza. Those involved in the Formula 1 Gran Premio d'Italia 2013 discuss their prospects for the coming weekend…

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull
2012 Qualifying - 6th, 2012 Race - 22nd
“Monza is the fastest circuit of the year. The track itself is in principle only made up of straights and chicanes. Because of this we reach the fastest top speed of the year at Monza, getting up to 330 km/h. The acceleration through the Parabolica is a balancing act - if you make the smallest error then you will slide straight into the gravel before you know it.

“This track brings back great memories for me, mainly from my first win there in 2008 with Toro Rosso. I can’t describe the feeling of standing on the top of the podium for the first time, and Monza was one of the best places to experience it because of the thousands of passionate fans that stand beneath, it gives you goose bumps.

Mark Webber, Red Bull
2012 Qualifying - 11th, 2012 Race - 20th
“I like Monza a lot because it’s very Formula One in terms of its history and its atmosphere. All of the greats have raced there and I have an affinity with Italians from my Minardi days. The track is one of a kind, it’s an incredibly fast circuit with high top speeds, so there’s a lot of heavy braking. Monza has never been that kind to me; I’ve had a few retirements and have never finished on the podium, so I want to get a good result there this year!

“The Tifosi really make the atmosphere of the weekend, they go ballistic and they’re very passionate about a certain red team. They will climb anything to get a good view: they sit in trees, on billboards and after the second Lesmo they sit on the old banking with their feet hanging over the barrier. Overall, Monza is one of the races that I recommend people go to.”

#1181 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:13

A very good read on the RB9 rear wings used and tested at Spa 2013.

The team is often criticized as it appears from the outside to not be flexible in its approach to aerodynamic configuration, always taking the highest downforce available. During Friday's free practice sessions however it became clear that the team was relinquishing some downforce for straight-line speed with the drivers testing lower downforce rear wings.

http://www.pitpass.c...hnical-Analysis

001.jpg

#1182 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:49

It will be interesting to see what type of strategy Red Bull will employ for Monza this year.

In 2011, they went for short-gearing with relatively medium-low DF configuration. Their top speed was 22kph slower than the fastest car at the speed trap. Vettel put the car on the pole, and raced away from his competitors. Perfect strategy and execution. No overtaking was required and this strategy was executed to perfection in the qualifying and the race.

In 2012, RBR were not convinced that their car would be on pole. The 2011's strategy was aborted in favor a high top speed for overtaking purposes. Compared to 2011, RB8 was "only" 8.9kkph down on the fastest car. Unfortunately, disaster struck and both cars were retired at the end of the race from a spin and an alternator issue. A very bleak weekend for RBR then.

So, what is in store for the fans this year? Sebastian clocked top speed of 327.7kph in RB7, and 333.8kph in RB8. If RBR feel they are good enough for the pole this year, I reckon they will probably be going for short-gearing just like 2011.

#1183 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:45

Pictures from Free practice 1 (via pitpass)

2013italy_friday_s003@@fes_height%15E127

2013italy_friday_s006@@fes_height%15E127

2013italy_friday_s025@@fes_height%15E127

2013italy_friday_s026@@fes_height%15E127

#1184 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 14:16

21 	1 	Sebastian Vettel 	14:13:00 	329.1
22 	2 	Mark Webber 	14:33:21 	328.9

http://www.formula1....speed_trap.html

Bottom of the list on the speed trap, although the other Renault powered Caterhams and Williams are joining the Bulls on that list, with the Lotuses interestingly going for a higher top speed.

Edited by encircled, 06 September 2013 - 14:17.

#1185 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 15:10

New FW

0527616.jpg

0527600.jpg

#1186 plumtree

plumtree

• 712 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 15:58

The new FW looks a little weird without the upper cascades.  :p

FP2 Speed Trap http://www.formula1....speed_trap.html

1 19 Daniel Ricciardo 14:09:35 339.1

2 4 Felipe Massa 14:13:04 338.4

5 9 Nico Rosberg 14:09:52 337.5

8 7 Kimi Räikkönen 14:09:55 337.2

21 1 Sebastian Vettel 14:13:00 329.1

22 2 Mark Webber 14:33:21 328.9

Still the two slowest. The absolute speed is close to 2011 but the difference between the fastest and RBs is close to last year's.

#1187 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:57

I actually think that the limited DRS-usage for qualifying is a reason for that. IMO, the limited DRS-usage means that teams will now prefer to skew things a bit on the acceleration side than the top speed compared to the last few years.

#1188 plumtree

plumtree

• 712 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 17:16

I agree. Comparatively smaller difference between the fastest and the slowest (or RB for that matter) has been the pattern this year. 

Car 1, Sebastian Vettel 
First Practice Session: Position: 4, Best Time: 1:25.753, Laps: 26 
Second Practice Session: Position: 1, Best Time: 1:24.453, Laps: 39 
“It will be very tight this weekend, as we saw in the first practice. It will be close tomorrow in qualifying with quite a few cars separated by only a few hundredths of a second. There are a few things we still need to do to optimise the car, as there are two or three corners where we are sliding more than we would like. It’s positive today, but it’s only a Friday.”

Car 2, Mark Webber 
First Practice Session: Position: 8, Best Time: 1:26.103, Laps: 27 
Second Practice Session: Position: 2, Best Time: 1:25.076, Laps: 39 
“We seem okay here, although it’s only Friday. We seemed good on Friday in Spa and then everyone was with us in P3. But, that said, the car feels good although we have some work to do to prepare for the race, so let’s see tomorrow.”

#1189 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 00:48

The new FW looks a little weird without the upper cascades.  :p

The new front wing with a single cascade element was only run by Vettel in FP2, right? I don't know whether it is the track evolution, but RB9 in FP2 with the new front wing was a whole lot faster on similar hard tyres, despite the fact that the track temperature was about 10C hotter than in FP1.

#1190 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:26

http://www.f1technic...development/426

The team have basically brought two new front wing configurations. The first one featuring a cut out upper flap as used by Sebastian Vettel most of the day. Another version was likely shipped in in the morning, and lacked the stacked elements, with only a vortex generator - featuring the logo of Simply, the team's new partner - remaining on the front wing. That as well was used by Vettel (see inset). Mark Webber meanwhile used the Belgian front wing specification.

ita-redbull-lowdownforce.jpg

#1191 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:23

I actually think that the limited DRS-usage for qualifying is a reason for that. IMO, the limited DRS-usage means that teams will now prefer to skew things a bit on the acceleration side than the top speed compared to the last few years.

The lack of unlimited DRS use means that RB9 will be hitting the rev-limiter in shorter time period than they would with unlimited DRS from previous years. This is great news as nobody wants to be hitting the rev-limiter for a long period. For Monza, RB9 actually benefit from limited DRS with their known short-gearing technique.

They have fixed the gear-ratio after FP2 and I expect RBR to not make any changes to the ratio - they may even go more aggressive.  Will Vettel top 330kph today?

#1192 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:48

Another image of the new FW.

166987843GI00264_F1_Grand_P.jpg

Click for higher-res

#1193 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,460 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:03

0527600.jpg

Sometimes I look at these cars and actually forget there's an engine back there... :drunk:

#1194 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:27

Let's see which front wing RBR opt for in FP3 and qualifying today.

They would have plenty of time to study the data and come to a conclusion on which package is preferred. 

Hopefully, it stays dry. 

#1195 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:57

Paul Hembery: "The performance of the tyres was completely in line with our expectations today on what is one of the most challenging and atmospheric circuits that we visit all year, although we are obviously only at the very beginning of the weekend and there is a lot of data left to analyse. From what we can see so far, degradation and wear are at the levels we anticipated, with a performance gap of around a second between the two compounds - although this will come down as the circuit evolves. We'll be looking carefully at all the data tonight, but so far we are on course for two pit stops for most drivers, with some cars perhaps trying a one-stopper. Monza has a number of different characteristics that sets it apart from most of the other circuits we visit this year, principally its sustained high speed, and this means that the set-up and subsequent effect on tyre usage is a key area. Consequently, the work carried out during free practice normally has a very important bearing on the race. This element of the grand prix, together with the characteristics of our tyres, allows several opportunities for strategy, which only adds to the spectacle offered by this famous and very popular circuit. Once more we've received a tremendous welcome and fantastic support from all the fans and we're very appreciative of that."

The thermal camera images that were shown during free practice on television today provide interesting data on the temperatures that the tyres go through at this high-speed track. When the tyres come out of the blankets, their temperature is around 80-90 degrees Celsius. During a lap, the tyres will heat up to a surface temperature of around 130 degrees out of La Roggia whereas it will go down to as low as 80 degrees before entering La Roggia. The second highest sector in regards to temperature is the long and fast Parabolica (125 degrees), followed by Ascari (120 degrees). Under heavy braking or lock-ups, the temperatures can reach higher but this won't last longer than a few seconds.

#1196 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:27

Right there in the middle in terms of top speed, only a few km/h slower than the Ferrari and Mercedes.

11 	1 	Sebastian Vettel 	11:22:09 	336.4
12 	2 	Mark Webber 	11:58:51 	336.1

A pretty curious choice by RB to say the least.

#1197 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:38

Right there in the middle in terms of top speed, only a few km/h slower than the Ferrari and Mercedes.

11 	1 	Sebastian Vettel 	11:22:09 	336.4
12 	2 	Mark Webber 	11:58:51 	336.1

A pretty curious choice by RB to say the least.

RBR must have found some magic updates because the path taken in FP3 was totally different than the we would normally have expected. There is some curious data coming out from FP3 most notably that RBR had a much higher top speed by about 7kph, faster in S1 317kph (vs 314kph FP2), equal S2 FP2 time of 329kph and down 3kph in S3 (314kph FP2, 311kph FP3). With 336.4kph, Vettel will not be a sitting duck on the main straight even if he does not start from the front row.

Have they decided to go for a longer gearing? Or have they achieved the time with an ultra-low DF package?

#1198 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 13:33

Well, they have decided to keep it through qualifying and the race, although they are now 14th and 15th in the speed traps but only 4km/h down on Dan and 1-2 km/h down on Ferrari and Mercedes.

#1199 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 13:45

Excellent result for the 2 RBR drivers. This could turn out to be a perfect weekend for RBR if they could just exercise some caution going into Turn 1 tomorrow.

Even without Vergne going off-track at Parabolica, I don't think Webber had in him to get P1. But with such a good top end speed, RB9s will be able to do some DRS overtaking if they have too or if they fall behind at the start.

Hoping for a dry race tomorrow.

Congrats Vettel, Webber and RBR.  :up:

Advertisement

#1200 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 15:35

Anyway, this is the first dry pole position for the RB9! Somewhat odd to have their first dry pole in a low downforce circuit but a great achievement nonetheless.