* * * - - 10 votes

The RB9 - Red Bull Racing's challenger for 2013

• Please log in to reply
1490 replies to this topic

#1251 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:38

Interesting to see that Seb and Mark have slightly different gear ratios for the race, although top speed isn't as important in this circuit as the other ones.

6 	2 	Mark Webber 	21:59:24 	292.2
18 	1 	Sebastian Vettel 	21:52:07 	288.7

http://www.formula1....speed_trap.html

Webber has Vettel covered on primes through-out free practices and qualifying session. I believe it could be due to the way they handled the tyres on their out lap. Webber seems very comfortable in S1, but not so in S3. Vettel OTOH, seems to have the edge in the final sector on both compounds. So it is possible that Webber managed to heat up the tyres quickly, but on options, they were slightly overheated, thereby losing a bit of performance in the final sector.  

Alex Yoong on ESPN Starsports mentioned a few times that Vettel took the clean lines to protect his tyres from the marbles similar to GP2 winner, Jolyon Palmer. I did not watch Race 1 of GP2, and can't comment on Palmer's strategies which worked to perfection in Race 1.

Advertisement

#1252 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:19

Yes, I think your assessment is reasonable. The long nature of the circuit and the consecutive turns on S3 may have taken a toll on Mark's tires on his flying lap.

And interesting insight too by Alex Yoong.

#1253 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:06

After looking at Seb's onboard pole lap, he was able to reach 292 km/h. I don't understand why the F1 site had his speed trap at 288 km/h.

#1254 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:44

The drivers on poles have won all support races in Singapore this year.

So we might be looking for a Vettel's victory yet again. 

The God has spoken!  :lol:

#1255 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,933 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:19

The RB9 is light years ahead of the other cars on the grid. .

The RB9 is far from dominant

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#1256 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 14:08

Excellent race from Seb! Shame about Mark, could have been a fight for 3rd but his car had just given up.

#1257 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 6,999 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 14:10

The RB9 is in another dimension with regard to performance.

#1258 pRy

pRy

• 10,713 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 14:35

Example of how deep Newey's involvement with the car is.. he is stood next to Webber's car at the moment as they remove the engine cover and start to look at the problem. Not just "the aero guy".

#1259 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:47

The RB9 is light years ahead of the other cars on the grid. .

The cars were far from dominant when I made that remark post Monza. In fact both RB9s had gearbox issues then, and today, the same issue came back to haunt them when Webber did not finish due to gearbox/engine related problem.

For the RB9s to be dominant, you must have the following ingredients in a race weekend :-

1) Qualify P1

2) Have a lightning quick start and lead into T1 to take advantage of clean air

3) Open up more than 1s lead in 2 laps to get out of DRS zone

4) Not get into tyres/reliability issue

Obviously Vettel was dominant today, but Webber was not. A major disadvantage of RB9s is when running behind another car, it loses all its aero advantages and became just another car. If Newey could find a solution to this, this car could be in the same mould as MP4/4, F2004, F2002 or FW14B.

Great 33rd win by Vettel and RBR 42nd win! Congrats.  :up:

Advertisement

#1260 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:52

Example of how deep Newey's involvement with the car is.. he is stood next to Webber's car at the moment as they remove the engine cover and start to look at the problem. Not just "the aero guy".

The only other designer in the same breath as Newey is Rory Byrne. I wish we could see these 2 geniuses locking horns again like in the early 2000s. That would be gigantic. RBR's fizzy drink money vs the might of the FIAT group.

#1261 mastermind

mastermind

• 43 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 16:08

We will get to see that next season, won't we? Although I don't know if Rory Byrne's involvement in Ferrari's next year's car will be as big as back then.

#1262 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,933 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 16:12

The cars were far from dominant when I made that remark post Monza. In fact both RB9s had gearbox issues then, and today, the same issue came back to haunt them when Webber did not finish due to gearbox/engine related problem.

For the RB9s to be dominant, you must have the following ingredients in a race weekend :-

1) Qualify P1

2) Have a lightning quick start and lead into T1 to take advantage of clean air

3) Open up more than 1s lead in 2 laps to get out of DRS zone

4) Not get into tyres/reliability issue

Obviously Vettel was dominant today, but Webber was not. A major disadvantage of RB9s is when running behind another car, it loses all its aero advantages and became just another car. If Newey could find a solution to this, this car could be in the same mould as MP4/4, F2004, F2002 or FW14B.

Great 33rd win by Vettel and RBR 42nd win! Congrats.  :up:

I think the race in Monza proves the RB9 is dominant. Yeah I know Hulk was close in Quali but was nowhere in the race. Just admit it mate, the RB9 has been dominant since Spa. :))

#1263 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 16:16

We will get to see that next season, won't we? Although I don't know if Rory Byrne's involvement in Ferrari's next year's car will be as big as back then.

Rory Byrne is only a part time consultant to Ferrari and partly in charge of F2014 car. But since he is operating from his enemy's territory, Thailand - the birth place of Red Bull, obviously his effectiveness is slightly compromised. I know I have been to Thailand plenty of times, and you could easily get distracted with a lot of things there.  :D

#1264 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 16:25

I think the race in Monza proves the RB9 is dominant. Yeah I know Hulk was close in Quali but was nowhere in the race. Just admit it mate, the RB9 has been dominant since Spa. :))

RBR must have found something during the summer break similar to the major updates they brought to Singapore last year that turned the tide against Alonso and Ferrari.

All the other teams should just turn their efforts to 2014. The WDC/WCC fights are over.

#1265 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,212 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 16:41

The SkyF1 guys were saying that Red Bull are back to about 90% EBD power in relation to where they were when the exhaust blowing was in all its glory.

Game over for everyone else........

#1266 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,933 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 16:58

RBR must have found something during the summer break similar to the major updates they brought to Singapore last year that turned the tide against Alonso and Ferrari.

All the other teams should just turn their efforts to 2014. The WDC/WCC fights are over.

Yep. I remember them bringing new diffuser to Spa as well as a revised nose. They've done a great job at development, as usual.

#1267 dav115

dav115

• 710 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 22:01

Never mind these little aero tweaks here and there, I just can't get my head around how this car has so much low speed traction...even with cold tyres and RB's short ratios, they are able to get on the power SO early and yet the rear end sticks to the track like shit to a blanket.

2s per lap on the rest of the field...  :drunk: 

#1268 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 745 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:06

Never mind these little aero tweaks here and there, I just can't get my head around how this car has so much low speed traction...even with cold tyres and RB's short ratios, they are able to get on the power SO early and yet the rear end sticks to the track like shit to a blanket.

Seb's first laps were mind blowing how he pulled that gap in the first few laps, especially on cold tyres at the start.  I know he likes the place, and there was a degree of squabbling going on behind him, but still...

#1269 Moosed

Moosed

• 84 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:09

I've read on several forums tonight that vettel is apparently just naturally 2-3 seconds a lap faster than the rest of the field

I lol'd

#1270 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,933 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:32

The RB9 is simply that much more aerodynamically efficient. People I'm the F1 world scoffed at & made fun of the notion that early in the season the car "had too much DF for the tyres". Adrian and the team said they were reducing DF and ppl didn't believe them. Obviously they weren't lying. The 2012 tyres have allowed RB to run away with both titles with not much competition to contest them.

Here's a quote from Pirelli's Hembery back in May 2013:

"Unless you all want us to give Red Bull the tyres to win the championship.It's pretty clear. If we did that, there would be one team that would benefit and it would be them(RB)."

Switching the tyres helped RB tremendously, more than any other team. I don't want to really talk about the tyres because it's OT, but it's true.

It's also true that RB have the best car, have done the best job and deserve their success. As I said two weeks ago at Monza, the RB9 is light years ahead of the others. Kudos to them for building such a kick ass car.

#1271 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,375 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:37

Red Bull have had the aero on these cars nailed since Silverstone 2009. They have had an advantage ever since, their increasing dominance is coming from the work they have dedicated to the mechanical side of the car... a car that has perfect traction yet is so quick on the nose, runs massive rear rake for aero benefits whilst seemingly suffering no mechanical ills from it, can run closer to 100% pace quicker than any other car at the start of a race, heats it tyres up in a matter of corners but doesn't wear them out. It's pure genius, and one day in the future I think Newey should bare all on the inner workings of these particular cars (once it's irrelevant to the current paradigm), shady legality of certain pieces or not.

#1272 apoka

apoka

• 3,334 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:30

It will be interesting to see whether RB can retain its advantage until the end of the season. They weren't dominant in the first half (probably not even the best car), but look hard to beat now. What strikes me as odd is how they can still be significantly faster after years of relatively stable regulations. If we look back at the first races of the season, car performance seemed to shift a lot from race to race. A team could be significantly faster than the rest when getting the tyres to work and look mediocre in the next race. Maybe RB+Vettel just found that sweet spot and are the only team actually understanding the tyres in a way, which allows them to push harder than the rest without too much risk? What do you think? It's also evident that you can only get that kind of performance advantage when you have complete control over your race (free air + no pressure from behind).

#1273 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:44

It will be interesting to see whether RB can retain its advantage until the end of the season. They weren't dominant in the first half (probably not even the best car), but look hard to beat now. What strikes me as odd is how they can still be significantly faster after years of relatively stable regulations. If we look back at the first races of the season, car performance seemed to shift a lot from race to race. A team could be significantly faster than the rest when getting the tyres to work and look mediocre in the next race. Maybe RB+Vettel just found that sweet spot and are the only team actually understanding the tyres in a way, which allows them to push harder than the rest without too much risk? What do you think? It's also evident that you can only get that kind of performance advantage when you have complete control over your race (free air + no pressure from behind).

All the remaining six (6) tracks are relatively similar in terms of their DF requirements. No more major updates after Singapore for all the teams, Red Bull included. I would expect RBR to maintain the advantage until the end of the season.

From here on, Red Bull are the favorite to win all the remaining 6 races. But I'd be happy if Sebastian takes 3 more wins to bring his tally to 10 for the year.

#1274 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 19,778 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 17:54

Singapore advantage thanks to a trick diffuser?
http://www.lastampa....qXN/pagina.html

You will have to use a translator

Looking at the detail of this change on the starting grid at Monza and then here in Singapore, it was possible to note how its middle section is perfectly integrated to the position of the tailpipes, while the side sections correspond exactly to the position of "skirts heat "generated by the discharges themselves. In essence, it is clear that this element has been optimized to create that blow otherwise prevented by regulatory measures that tended specifically to avoid that produce this effect. In essence the RB9 are equipped with a diffuser fed to perfection by the air flow that is channeled into it using the heat of the exhaust gas.

Of course this is a completely regular, not at all comparable to the double diffuser of Brawn GP in 2009. The effects, however, against all opponents are devastating. The Red Bull on a high downforce track traveling on the tracks, with a speed of cornering is superior to others. Basically in Milton Keynes have reduced the time transient at best, relying on optimum traction in all conditions. Such a superiority that leaves annihilated especially at this point of the season, where usually the gaps tend to decrease rather than increase.

#1275 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,783 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 20:04

Newey has worked hard to recoup the lost downforce to 2011 levels while the others have cried about the tyres?

#1276 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,266 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:36

Newey has worked hard to recoup the lost downforce to 2011 levels while the others have cried about the tyres?

Quite the opposite: others (Ferrari, Lotus) have worked hard to gain performance out of tyres, then Red Bull cried about the compounds and they got their wish granted.

#1277 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 4,865 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:40

Ferrari and Lotus lack downforce, Alonso said it himself after qualifying.  This same thing, helps them on the tyre on a long run.  It's not about trying to extract the most out of a tyre, because they come to these high downforce tracks and have less downforce than they wish.  Mercedes have plenty of downforce.  Redbull have plenty of downforce.  That's why some cars were harder on the tyres, than others.  And these Pirelli's can't take big loads, but this isn't why they were changed.  They were changed due to the failures, that teams were having.  Even Ferrari were having these failures.  These failures had nothing to do with Redbull and are the reason why the tyres were changed.

People have been crying about Redbull since 2010.  Look at all the parts, people tried to have banned.  Sometimes they were banned, and then guess what.. they'd still be on pole.  It's the fans on message boards that seem to be doing a lot of crying to me.  So much so, that it seems hard to even read this stuff, or attempt to have some sort of discussion about it.  Probably just a waste of words.

Ever since 2009, they have had the best 'core concept' with the current regs.  They are the benchmark, the leaders.. while others chase.  The problem is.. it's like music.  You have someone like the Beatles or Jimi Hendrix and others try to copy it.  But they can't do it better than the originals.  The originals know how and why it was made are untouchable.  Redbull in their current configuration.. the entire team is untouchable.  The fact that they could become so strong in Spa and Monza.. really says something.  Even on their weakest circuits, they are now strong.  Endless refinement and tweaking.  It's really amazing to think about.. if you go all the way back to 2007 and 2008 when Newey and Horner first started building the team.

#1278 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,078 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:54

Quite the opposite: others (Ferrari, Lotus) have worked hard to gain performance out of tyres, then Red Bull cried about the compounds and they got their wish granted.

this, and it was the majority of the wish of fans here sadly and from media too.

#1279 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:08

That is an extremely rich statement, as the reality is the complete opposite, RBR are the ones who cried about the tires. Ah, the short memories that people have.

Advertisement

#1280 Owen

Owen

• 10,273 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:09

Singapore advantage thanks to a trick diffuser?
http://www.lastampa....qXN/pagina.html

You will have to use a translator

Game over indeed.

#1281 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:32

Red Bull have been adventurous as always. Going all-out to develop exhaust blown effect even though that work wil not be relevant to next year's car, whilst others are covering their bases and have all but given up on 2013.

#1282 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 4,865 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:08

I don't remember Redbull crying, maybe they did but I can't remember.  They already had a battle for the win in Malaysia with the older tyres.  I remember them complaining, Marko especially.  F1 teams rarely cry.  Whether as the Redbull domination topic, there are people that talk about stopping watching the race after lap 1 or lap 10 when Seb is leading.  That's crying.

#1283 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 745 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:28

Ferrari and Lotus lack downforce, Alonso said it himself after qualifying.  This same thing, helps them on the tyre on a long run.  It's not about trying to extract the most out of a tyre, because they come to these high downforce tracks and have less downforce than they wish.  Mercedes have plenty of downforce.  Redbull have plenty of downforce.  That's why some cars were harder on the tyres, than others.  And these Pirelli's can't take big loads, but this isn't why they were changed.  They were changed due to the failures, that teams were having.  Even Ferrari were having these failures.  These failures had nothing to do with Redbull and are the reason why the tyres were changed.

People have been crying about Redbull since 2010.  Look at all the parts, people tried to have banned.  Sometimes they were banned, and then guess what.. they'd still be on pole.  It's the fans on message boards that seem to be doing a lot of crying to me.  So much so, that it seems hard to even read this stuff, or attempt to have some sort of discussion about it.  Probably just a waste of words.

Ever since 2009, they have had the best 'core concept' with the current regs.  They are the benchmark, the leaders.. while others chase.  The problem is.. it's like music.  You have someone like the Beatles or Jimi Hendrix and others try to copy it.  But they can't do it better than the originals.  The originals know how and why it was made are untouchable.  Redbull in their current configuration.. the entire team is untouchable.  The fact that they could become so strong in Spa and Monza.. really says something.  Even on their weakest circuits, they are now strong.  Endless refinement and tweaking.  It's really amazing to think about.. if you go all the way back to 2007 and 2008 when Newey and Horner first started building the team.

This.

It will be interesting to see what the whingers are complaining about this time next year, because you can bet RB will have the car to beat.  Question is, where will the Renno clockwork be in the pecking order?

#1284 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:40

I can't see any difference between Red Bull lobbying for tyres that they can get the best out of and Ferrari and Lotus lobbying for tyres that suit themselves better. It just happens that the tyre failures played into Red Bull's hand, so there was a separate reason to switch construction. You can hardly say that's Red Bull's fault.

F1 is a technical contest - one whch Red Bull are winning.

#1285 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 52 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:04

Whoops! Wrong thread.

Edited by Jeeves, 25 September 2013 - 11:11.

#1286 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 15:04

The best never rest   ;)

#F1 For my tech tweeps: Check out the pic of the underside of the Red Bull nose from #Singapore. Pelican-style.

BVBCLNXCcAA6Dga.jpg

#1287 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 745 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 21:52

The best never rest   ;)

#F1 For my tech tweeps: Check out the pic of the underside of the Red Bull nose from #Singapore. Pelican-style.

BVBCLNXCcAA6Dga.jpg

Is that a scoop, if it is, what is used for?  Would it be the inlet for the outlets beside the cockpit?

I also wonder about the diamond pattern on the underside of the nose, whether this has some significance, or is it just left that way because no one usually sees it ....

#1288 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,933 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 00:05

Is that a scoop, if it is, what is used for?  Would it be the inlet for the outlets beside the cockpit?

I also wonder about the diamond pattern on the underside of the nose, whether this has some significance, or is it just left that way because no one usually sees it ....

The scoop you refer to alters the airflow under the nose along with the turning vanes to condition flow heading under the floor and around the side pods. The "scoop" itself actually speeds up airflow and increases DF so it helps in multiple ways.

#1289 Juggles

Juggles

• 886 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 00:41

Red Bull have been adventurous as always. Going all-out to develop exhaust blown effect even though that work wil not be relevant to next year's car, whilst others are covering their bases and have all but given up on 2013.

Will it definitely not be relevant or will it still be something Newey can find a way to simulate, as he seems to have done time and time again over the last few years?

I can't remember which article it was (may even have been a post on this forum) but someone mentioned that while the engines will obviously create a big change next year, we aren't getting the revolutionary changes to aerodynamic regulations that were also expected.

#1290 JSDSKI

JSDSKI

• 1,439 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 00:52

It's interesting how much like a hammerhead shark (head on view) that car resembles.  

Of course the shark is moving through fluid as well, so it makes sense.  Nature had already presented the solution Newey is now using. 

Next we'll seen something like flexible shark skin on cars to reduce turbulence and improve surface flow. 

Edited by JSDSKI, 26 September 2013 - 00:57.

#1291 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:21

Will it definitely not be relevant or will it still be something Newey can find a way to simulate, as he seems to have done time and time again over the last few years?

I can't remember which article it was (may even have been a post on this forum) but someone mentioned that while the engines will obviously create a big change next year, we aren't getting the revolutionary changes to aerodynamic regulations that were also expected.

There is absolutely no way the exhaust could be fed to the diffuser to create some or quasi EBD for 2014 because the placement of the exhaust for 2014 will be as specified :-

a) Be located no more than 250mm from the car centre line.

b) Be positioned in order that the entire circumference of the exit of the tailpipe lies between two vertical planes normal to the car centre line and which lie between 30mm and 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line

Unless Newey manages to find some techniques to defy the law of Physics.  :)

#1292 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:29

I can't see much wiggle-room with the 2014 regulations as far as exhaust goes - but there again I'm not Adrian Newey.

There will be the new next big idea, which any team may find but Newey will swiftly make the best iteration of!

#1293 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 15:28

#1294 hanmer

hanmer

• 9 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 18:59

Here is my alternative Infiniti Red Bull livery. 

Redbullrb92013.jpg

#1295 apoka

apoka

• 3,334 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:17

Looks refreshing.

#1296 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:08

#1297 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 753 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:25

Here is my alternative Infiniti Red Bull livery. 

Redbullrb92013.jpg

I really like the white insets, but yellow?  :lol: Nice job regardless

#1298 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 16:34

Friday free practices are out of the way. My feeling is that Mercedes are slightly ahead of RBR at this juncture and the pole position will be contested between Vettel, Hamilton and Rosberg. I would not be surprised if Vettel starts the race on the 2nd row of the grid. Other teams don't have a prayer of challenging RBR and MGP.

Vettel and Webber tested several rear wings - Vettel with more DF setup than Webber. Vettel's car at some stage spotted the monkey seat, more slots at end plates, a much steeper AoA on the main plane, etc. Webber clocked the 2nd highest speed of 320kph - a race setup with lower DF and longer gearing as he would start 11th or lower due to a 10-place grid penalty. Vettel's car was 8kph lower at the speed trap, and short-geared for qualifying similar to last year when Webber bagged P1.

What was interesting was the fact that once Vettel put on a revised rear wing in the 2nd half of FP2, he topped the speed traps in S1 (283kph), S2 (195kph) and S3 (300kph) - the 1st time ever this has happened this year. But he needs to find more speed in S2 as he was 0.5s down on Hamilton in FP2 in that sector alone. Mercedes and Hamilton never chased the time on friday and the fact that he topped both free practices is ominous to Vettel and RBR.

We'll have a clearer picture in FP3 but based on friday, I would say it will be Hamilton for P1, followed by Vettel and Rosberg. Alonso's car looks crap and he would be hardpressed to secure P4.

#1299 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 4,865 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 16:38

It's damage control for Webber to have a decent result, and for Vettel.. he just needs to finish.  To win is more about ego or just wanting to succeed but championship wise he doesn't even need to finish on the podium.  It's hard to see him not finishing on the podium though.  It seems even if he had an off weekend, he'd still be contesting the win.

Advertisement

#1300 plumtree

plumtree

• 711 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 17:00

http://www.jamesalle...nna-and-vettel/

Very interesting interview of Newey by James Allen (I'm not sure it deserves a separate thread, so I'll put it here.)

Probably the most relevant bits, " ... I think Sebastian and Mark, while they have unfortunately had their differences, they have been from an engineering point of view very good team-mates because they both contribute in different ways. Mark is very sensitive on the aerodynamics of the car, Sebastian is very sensitive in other areas like tyres and suspension characteristics, so they have complemented each other.”

You’ve won races – and championships – with Williams, McLaren and Red Bull – but there’s onbvious omission – Ferrari. Why have you never gone there?

“I guess it’s a whole combination of reasons. Generally, it’s been timing to be honest. Back in the mid-90s, I had young children at the time and I didn’t completely feel comfortable trying to move my family to Italy when the kids were established at school in the UK. More recently, when I felt in my latter days at McLaren that I was going a bit stale, I felt I needed a new challenge. While the Ferrari job would have been a challenge, it was still an established team, where Ross [Brawn] had been for some time with a considerable amount of success. I didn’t fancy stepping into that one.

“I needed a fresh challenge and that was being involved in new team, more or less from the start, and seeing if we can develop it into something that could win races and then go on to win championships. In many ways, it was trying to finish off unfinished business from the Leyton House days. When I first came into F1 with Leyton House, having been at March already, the team came in very strongly given our size, which was tiny. We had decent results, a few podiums here and there, and we were going in a very positive direction, but unfortunately, we lost our funding. If you lose that, you’re only going one way so I left and joined Williams, which was a great opportunity and the right decision at the time. But it has always wrangled me that we never had the opportunity at Leyton House to prove what we could have been competitive so to have another crack at it with Red Bull has been fantastic.”

You’ve done the Le Mans 24 Hours and also had some big smashes in other races…

"... Yes, I have had some accidents and I’ve possibly had some unfair press there. It sounds like I’m moaning, but I’m not. If I have good result, no one says anything but if I have an accident, everyone starts saying ‘oh, he’s crashed again’. But hey, I enjoy it.”  :lol:

**You can listen to the whole thing here Adrian Newey SpecialKorean GP preview issue. 
The two (audio/text version) are slightly different.

Edited by plumtree, 04 October 2013 - 17:28.