• 1,681 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 20:54

Red-Bull-Formel-1-GP-Korea-4-Oktober-201

Advertisement

#1302 Zava

Zava

• 4,978 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:05

Vettel's pole lap elevated renault (as engine manufacturer) to joint 1st (with ferrari) in the no. of poles!

congrats.  :up:

#1303 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:05

Another pole for Seb and the RB9! Mark will start in P13 after the penalty and the long gearing should help him fight through the field for tomorrow's race.

Great job from everyone!

#1304 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:43

Seb nailed that middle sector, which was key in getting his 42nd pole. Congrats. 

315.8kph top speed. That is going to make for an interesting race even if he gets beaten to T1 by Hamilton.

#1305 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 1,414 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:52

It's mind boggling how good this team & driver combo is. Unless they have severe reliability problems with the new regs then I think they will still be on top next year.

#1306 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:15

Seb nailed that middle sector, which was key in getting his 42nd pole. Congrats. 

315.8kph top speed. That is going to make for an interesting race even if he gets beaten to T1 by Hamilton.

Hmm, actually with the long straight after T1, it will be a great job already if Seb can keep P1 after the turn 4-5-6 complex. That headwind coupled by the massive tow that will benefit the following car will make it a challenge for Seb to keep P1.

#1307 joshb

joshb

• 3,269 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:15

S2 had been a bit of a struggle all weekend so was nice to hook it up alright today.

As for the start, it may not be a bad thing if Hamilton nips past into T1 and Seb doesn't start using KERS until after T1

#1308 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:57

S2 had been a bit of a struggle all weekend so was nice to hook it up alright today.

As for the start, it may not be a bad thing if Hamilton nips past into T1 and Seb doesn't start using KERS until after T1

There are just 3 places that drivers could use their KERS on this circuit - all along the three (3) straights from Turn 16 to Turn 4. I reckon the best use of KERS at the start would be 1/3 to the first corner and full discharge on the main straight to Turn 3. 

#1309 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 15:09

Seb actually used KERS after turn 6 looking at his onboard qualifying lap so it can be used there too although the straight there is pretty short and it could be a different story in the race.

#1310 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:37

Seb actually used KERS after turn 6 looking at his onboard qualifying lap so it can be used there too although the straight there is pretty short and it could be a different story in the race.

Tq encircled.

Now we all know how he did his 42.685s in that middle sector and even then, it was the 4th best time  behind Lewis, Grosjean and Webber. 

But for the 1st lap, I believe the best use of KERS is at the start, and full-discharge down the main straight where he could be challenged by others. But compared to last year, his top speed of 315.8kph could prove vital if he needs to do any overtaking.

#1311 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,010 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:51

The RB9 is far from dominant

Sorry mate, I won't do this again. I don't like "kicking a dead horse" but...

Great job by RB. They deserve it, they've done the best job. No sense in denying it. :kiss:

#1312 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:54

Great job by Seb! Great job from Mark too but the SC timing and then the Sutil snowball totally destroyed his race.

#1313 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 827 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:54

They would easily have 1-2 if Webber wasn't penalized...

#1314 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,725 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:57

Another win and great pace shown throughout the weekend from the car and the drivers. This 2nd half of the season is starting to look much like 2011 :clap:

#1315 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,450 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:27

I think Vettel is a great driver, been cheering for him in the past season showdowns against Alonso and really enjoy his driving and determination, but it is obvious that right now they also have a car with an edge. He opened the gap at will when he needed and then they made sure it didn't look like Singapore, but the feeling is they could have put on a similar show if they wanted to. Vettel needs to go to another team. It would be so interesting.

Edited by FenderJaguar, 06 October 2013 - 08:27.

#1316 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:13

So it looks like Seb actually took another Grand Chalem for this race.

Yes, Webber took the lead at some stage of the race but Mark wasn't the leader by the end of lap because he pitted and Seb crossed the finish line first in the same lap (lap 12) that Mark pitted, so technically he was still leading that lap, which was the same when Nico briefly took the lead for a few meters in Singapore yet Seb still recorded the Grand Chalem.

http://en.mclarenf-1...=3#.UlEoYIXVQm0

You can see which positions they are in at the end of each lap right beside the times of the driver.

Edited by encircled, 06 October 2013 - 09:38.

#1317 st99

st99

• 379 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:35

What a shame for Mark, he was having a great race until all that chaos :|  His last season is not going too well, but I'm sure he will get at least one final win.

#1318 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:54

Great 34th win for Sebastian, and 43rd for RBR. Congrats Seb.  :up:

The qualifying was great, The start was great. The two (2) safety car periods did not affect him. A perfect weekend all around.

5 more days to another great race weekend in Japan on one of my favorite circuits. 

Hopefully you will get the credit for a Grand Chalem.

#1319 joshb

joshb

• 3,269 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:57

Has anyone ever got consecutive grand chelems?

Advertisement

#1320 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:00

I think Vettel is a great driver, been cheering for him in the past season showdowns against Alonso and really enjoy his driving and determination, but it is obvious that right now they also have a car with an edge. He opened the gap at will when he needed and then they made sure it didn't look like Singapore, but the feeling is they could have put on a similar show if they wanted to. Vettel needs to go to another team. It would be so interesting.

Depending on how RBR fares in 2014 and 2015, you might see Vettel in a Ferrari in 2016. But rest assured if that happens, he won't be going to Ferrari alone.  :D

This is a front limited track like Barcelona and Shanghai. That was why even with 2012 kevlar construction, Hamilton was having so much difficulties with the front right. Similarly, RBR was having some issues too, but not to the degree faced by Hamilton. I don't think they could have gone all out like Singapore a fortnight ago because the tyres would not have allowed them to do that.

RBR struggled in the previous two visits to the front limited tracks. 

#1321 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 985 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:03

Suzuka must also be a front-limited track, given all the sweeping corners and few pure traction zones. Should make for a relatively tight battle with Merc and Lotus (hopefully).

#1322 joshb

joshb

• 3,269 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:06

Edit: Ascari 1952 Germany and Holland (he also did France earlier that year for 3 in 4). He then did argentina 53 so had 4 slams in 6 races!

Clark also did Holland/France 1963

Stewart and Schumacher also did 2 in 3 at one stage

No-one has ever done 3 in a row... Seb did one at Suzuka last year (and on;y missed by a bees dick in 2009 when Webber got FL on the last lap by less than 0.01 seconds)

#1323 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:08

Has anyone ever got consecutive grand chelems?

Jim Clark did in 1963, Netherlands and France. Alberto Ascari did in 1952, Germany and France.

edit: oops, ninja'd by you.

Edited by encircled, 06 October 2013 - 10:09.

#1324 skyform

skyform

• 426 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:16

Suzuka must also be a front-limited track, given all the sweeping corners and few pure traction zones. Should make for a relatively tight battle with Merc and Lotus (hopefully).

With that shity car and strategy they have, no way!

#1325 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:57

Suzuka is a figure of 8 circuit - both of the front tyres will be punished from the high lateral loading. But Pirelli will be taking the 2 hardest compounds to Suzuka, so I believe the tyres might be ok there just like 2012.

#1326 joshb

joshb

• 3,269 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:11

With that shity car and strategy they have, no way!

#1327 Wanderer

Wanderer

• 292 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:20

Quite a hole here

z1381050027.jpg

#1328 apoka

apoka

• 3,502 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 13:22

Vettel has an insane record at the Korea GP. 2010 he retired due to an engine failure in the lead and he won all other 3 GPs in Korea. It's similar for Suzuka next week (only in 2011 he was a bit cautious to bring home the WDC). I'm really looking forward to next week - one of the best tracks in the calendar.

#1329 joshb

joshb

• 3,269 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 13:32

That hole!

I'm guessing that was fire damage not impact damage, though the impact could've weakened the bodywork

#1330 joshb

joshb

• 3,269 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 13:34

Vettel has an insane record at the Korea GP. 2010 he retired due to an engine failure in the lead and he won all other 3 GPs in Korea. It's similar for Suzuka next week (only in 2011 he was a bit cautious to bring home the WDC). I'm really looking forward to next week - one of the best tracks in the calendar.

Every lap Seb has been on circuit at Korea he has led. Only after engine failure in 2010 has Alonso led (though Webber led for part of a lap today)

#1331 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:27

ta_article_1108.jpg

In Korea, this front wing was trialed by Mark Webber only on Friday before being used by both drivers in qualifying and the race. The red arrow shows the addition of two vertical fins designed to better direct airflow towards the outside the tyres. Webber's ten-place grid penalty meant he opted for a low-downforce rear wing, while Sebastian Vettel went for a Silverstone-spec version.

http://www.formula1....3/907/1108.html

#1332 R Soul

R Soul

• 586 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:06

His last season is not going too well, but I'm sure he will get at least one final win.

That would have been the Malaysian GP, but Vettel needed it more.

#1333 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 13:36

New chassis for Webber after Korea fire

http://www.f1zone.ne...rea-fire/20677/

“I pressed for the extinguisher in the car, but it didn’t work,” (add conspiracy theory here ...  :o)

“The chassis was more damaged by the impact with Sutil than the fire itself,” he said, revealing that the engine and gearbox survived the incident.

#1334 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 13:38

Pirelli announces tire nominations for the rest of the year.

In Abu Dhabi, the teams will use the P Zero White medium tyre and the P Zero Yellow soft tyre. For the United States Grand Prix, Pirelli will bring the P Zero Orange hard and P Zero White medium tyre. This combination – hard and medium – will also be used in Brazil.

In Abu Dhabi, the White medium and Yellow soft compounds have been selected. The combination of the medium and soft tyres are best suited to the varied characteristics of the Abu Dhabi track, which being a twilight race starts in the late afternoon with falling temperatures towards the end of the grand prix.

For the United States Grand Prix, Pirelli will bring the Orange hard and White medium compounds. The hard and medium compounds are the best choice to respond to the challenges of this fast track, which puts high-energy loads through the tyres due to varying elevations that alternate high speeds with some slower and more technical sections.

In Brazil, the Orange hard and White medium compounds will be used. Interlagos is a demanding track with high-speed corners and significant elevation changes, so the hard and medium compounds are the best choice for this last race of the 2013 season.

http://www.pirelli.c...tes-and-brazil/

Except for the Monaco GP, the medium tires will be used for all the GPs this year. The hard tires will be used 9x this year.

#1335 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 14:04

New chassis for Webber after Korea fire

http://www.f1zone.ne...rea-fire/20677/

The fire extinguisher worked fine, it just wasn't enough since it was quite a fire.

#1336 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 16:09

Anthony Davidson talks us through Sebastian Vettel's pole lap from last year's Japanese GP

http://www1.skysport...e-pole-lap-2012

#1337 plumtree

plumtree

• 712 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 16:27

... Another well-placed insider, the renowned F1 technical illustrator Giorgio Piola, thinks Newey simply found a higher and smarter gear in the second half of the 2013 campaign.

"The Newey car that debuted at Spa, when the winning streak began, was very different to the previous version," said Italian Piola.
"Wings, floor, how it uses the exhaust gases, this new version of the RB9 was designed for the characteristics of the new Pirelli tyres.
"They (the Pirelli tyres) are very different from the earlier ones, but the other (teams) only made subtle adjustments to their cars," Piola added.

Q: (Livio Oricchio - O Estado de Sao Paulo) Sebastian, you had a very fast car since the beginning of the season. Then from Spa, you’ve had four poles, four victories; the gap increased even more to your competitors. How do you personally explain that?

SV: I wasn’t on pole in Spa. As you mentioned, I think it’s right to say that we had a very strong car from the beginning of the season, strong enough to always finish in a very, very strong position on Sunday afternoon. Lately, I think we’ve been very strong in qualifying as well whereas at the beginning of the year Mercedes definitely seemed to have the upper hand. I think there’s no real explanation from our side, there’s not one part that went on the car and all of a sudden it was that much quicker. I think we were able to improve the car so that arriving at Spa the car was better than it was in Hungary. Since then, we’ve just tried again to improve, there’s new bits coming every race weekend, even though sometimes it’s a very small package, but even so, we’re pushing very hard, trying to improve the car. I’m sure the others do the same but it seems that we’ve had lots of good parts coming lately and making the car quicker. Also, I think there’s a factor of you understanding the car more than at the beginning of the season so you are able to react quicker, change the set-up in the right manner. Obviously there’s not so much time available. If you look on Friday, you have one chance overnight to make a change and I think we got better as a team in that regard to get closer to one hundred percent on Saturday morning already and then benefit throughout the weekend.

#1338 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,056 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:08

http://scarbsf1.com/...-tray-in-korea/

Analysis: Red Bull’s Hot T-Tray in Korea

#1339 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,166 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:09

... Another well-placed insider, the renowned F1 technical illustrator Giorgio Piola, thinks Newey simply found a higher and smarter gear in the second half of the 2013 campaign.

"The Newey car that debuted at Spa, when the winning streak began, was very different to the previous version," said Italian Piola.
"Wings, floor, how it uses the exhaust gases, this new version of the RB9 was designed for the characteristics of the new Pirelli tyres.
"They (the Pirelli tyres) are very different from the earlier ones, but the other (teams) only made subtle adjustments to their cars," Piola added.

Q: (Livio Oricchio - O Estado de Sao Paulo) Sebastian, you had a very fast car since the beginning of the season. Then from Spa, you’ve had four poles, four victories; the gap increased even more to your competitors. How do you personally explain that?

SV: I wasn’t on pole in Spa. As you mentioned, I think it’s right to say that we had a very strong car from the beginning of the season, strong enough to always finish in a very, very strong position on Sunday afternoon. Lately, I think we’ve been very strong in qualifying as well whereas at the beginning of the year Mercedes definitely seemed to have the upper hand. I think there’s no real explanation from our side, there’s not one part that went on the car and all of a sudden it was that much quicker. I think we were able to improve the car so that arriving at Spa the car was better than it was in Hungary. Since then, we’ve just tried again to improve, there’s new bits coming every race weekend, even though sometimes it’s a very small package, but even so, we’re pushing very hard, trying to improve the car. I’m sure the others do the same but it seems that we’ve had lots of good parts coming lately and making the car quicker. Also, I think there’s a factor of you understanding the car more than at the beginning of the season so you are able to react quicker, change the set-up in the right manner. Obviously there’s not so much time available. If you look on Friday, you have one chance overnight to make a change and I think we got better as a team in that regard to get closer to one hundred percent on Saturday morning already and then benefit throughout the weekend.

The resources which Red bull must be throwing at the car are extraordinary.

Advertisement

#1340 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 19:14

About the RB10 [when is the right time to open the thread  :confused: ]

Newey told to the SID press agency  :confused:

Unfortunatelly the 2014 contender is ugly due to the mandatory [slant] low nose.

AN is dedicating 4~5 hours to it every day.

The most difficult challenge is the drivetrain: new V6 Turbo + 8 speed gearbox + ERS.

Its much more complex than any other thing we had before.

#1341 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:24

Not a very good news for RBR. They will lose Petr Prodromou, RBR chief Aerodynamicist, to McLaren for next year or 2015. 

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/110552

Edited by Kelateboy, 12 October 2013 - 08:26.

#1342 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:39

Yeah, huge blow indeed. Maybe they'll promote James Key from STR instead?

#1343 apoka

apoka

• 3,502 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:41

Not a very good news for RBR. They will lose Petr Prodromou, RBR chief Aerodynamicist, to McLaren for next year or 2015. 

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/110552

"Peter Prodromou has worked with Infiniti Red Bull Racing for a long time, he's a valuable member of the team and there's some considerable time remaining on his current contract with us."

If he goes, it must have cost McLaren quite some money to buy him out of the contract. The move makes sense for Peter, but RB have always been strong in keeping their brightest minds together and that is the first time in years they lose key personnel.

#1344 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:53

"Peter Prodromou has worked with Infiniti Red Bull Racing for a long time, he's a valuable member of the team and there's some considerable time remaining on his current contract with us."

If he goes, it must have cost McLaren quite some money to buy him out of the contract. The move makes sense for Peter, but RB have always been strong in keeping their brightest minds together and that is the first time in years they lose key personnel.

Prodromou is understood to be under contract with RBR until the end of 2014. He could be put under gardening leave by RBR in 2014 or part thereof, and could start working with McLaren in 2015.

It is a big blow to this team if the news comes to fruition. Who could be promoted or headhunted for this post?

#1345 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,306 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 14:52

It's a big blow but there are many that make up the team, and the team has had continued success in the last few years, so I don't think taking away any one person would make a huge difference.. other than Newey himself.  I guess the biggest problem would be continuity and having to adjust to whoever takes the new position.  And that transfer phase..

#1346 cooper

cooper

• 388 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 19:18

Just looked at the average scoring per race for vettel.. Besides his DNF, the worst result thus far is 4th. That's an amazing achievement by both vettel and RBR! Almost at good as his 2011 scoring average, personally if Merc weren't so good at qualifying in the early part if the season, Seb might have been looking at even more poles.

#1347 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:46

Remi Taffin finally managed to find a Red Bull shirt for the podium ceremony!  :up:

Congrats Vettel for 35th win!

The Japanese crowd is excellent!

#1348 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,725 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:49

Amazing weekend from the team once again, incredible to think that this car may actually surpass the number of wins the RB7 had.

#1349 Kyo

Kyo

• 801 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:22

In so many races you see teams failing to change strategy mid race that it is actually refreshing to see someone that knows what to do. Perfect play by Red Bull.

#1350 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:26

An excellent result for the team! 2nd 1-2 of the year! Both starts were bad but they were able to recover just enough to get a 1-2. Looks like they need to sort the starts again but nonetheless, great result! Great job!