The RB9 - Red Bull Racing's challenger for 2013

• Please log in to reply
1490 replies to this topic

#351 pazza

pazza

• 116 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:23

Mark Webber ‏@AussieGrit
@thespoon007: The Monster boyz getting a bit of the real fuel in #givesyouwings pic.twitter.com/RV3VTiSGwW

haha, whoops!

LMAO. Thanks got a good chuckle outta that.....

Advertisement

#352 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:55

:p

Do you guys think we see a big update package for this race?

#353 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:29

A BIG update package would surprise me.

#354 RudyO

RudyO

• 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 14:42

So according to BILD we have a "Hungry Heidi" here. Meh...

#355 plumtree

plumtree

• 712 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 18:37

So according to BILD we have a "Hungry Heidi" here. Meh...

I had no idea what you were talking about at first. :lol:

http://www.bild.de/s...85570.bild.html
So it's the name of Seb's RB9. A bit meh, but Kinky Kylie is probably too good to be easily topped.
Hopefully Heidi doesn't like to eat fuel too much though. :)

Confirmed by himself. http://www.sebastian...54-hungry-heidi

Since this hasn't been posted here before, "2013 Season Preview" by Red Bull Racing

Edited by plumtree, 13 March 2013 - 18:38.

#356 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 18:42

No. By Barcelona it is a must though.

#357 benzine

benzine

• 132 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 18:54

" Hungry Heidi " is good

#358 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 21:12

If there is going to be one that would surprise me greatly after all that rhetoric about incomplete pre-season testing (which could imply lack of clarity at this stage on most pressing development priorities).

#359 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 21:54

I cant wait! !!

Advertisement

#360 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:02

I cant wait! !!

The weather might throw a spanner into the race. It is expected to rain on race day and qualifying in Melbourne.

Similarly, the weather has not been that great in Kuala Lumpur the last couple of days too. It is probable that the 1st 2 races of this year might be run in wet conditions.

#361 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:40

Posted Image
hungry heidi :smoking:

why???? seb ... why????

Edited by eronrules, 14 March 2013 - 10:42.

#362 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:46

:lol:

Fantastic pics collecting at Scarbs twitter account and at AMuS. The packaging of the car is incredibly even compared to very high standards of modern F1. So many pics so little time...

#363 Zava

Zava

• 4,978 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 15:33

Posted Image

@ScarbsF1
The RB9 is designed to run Passive DRD, I've found two ducts fed from under the roll hoop, that are not for cooling.

#364 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 698 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 16:31

Hungry Heidi... Could it be Kimi's idea? :lol:

http://25.media.tumb...3lf6ho1_500.jpg

Edited by RosannaG, 14 March 2013 - 16:31.

#365 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 17:36

Yes it looks like a neatly integrated DRD. I would love to see a rear shot without the cover. We already saw the duct leading to the outlet so it is nice to see the likely inlet. The fancy part, the pneumatic transistor is so far hidden unless we see some wild helmet designs and moves by the drivers :lol:

So let us hope dear Hungry Heidi does know how to swallow the air properly and switches on accordingly...

Anyway here is that neat sidepod packaging.

Edited by H2H, 14 March 2013 - 17:42.

#366 plumtree

plumtree

• 712 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 19:57

Anyway here is that neat sidepod packaging.

Lovely :up: :up:

Mark: ... In terms of the DRS, it’s not a big thing for us. I think that we have been OK in qualifying in the past, also quite strong in races so the effect of the DRS, the delta of the DRS, all those type of things which is not something that we’re having a huge eye on, we’re not disappointed that the DRS is less in qualifying. For example, Sebastian and I are very happy; we pushed quite hard to have DRS dropped down in terms of volume on Saturday afternoon so we’re quite relaxed with that one.

Seb: http://www.youtube.c...293Gr6Mw#t=165s

It's quite interesting to hear what Mark/Seb had to say about the new DRS usage rule. Though it needs to be seen how things will pan out for them and clearly safety issues were the primary reason for the change, those responses are definitely not what people expected from them.

Edited by plumtree, 14 March 2013 - 19:59.

#367 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 837 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:02

Seems like BS. Seb was always getting on the DRS before anyone else, he clearly would've known it was giving an advantage to Red Bull and also to him over Webber.

#368 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:28

Posted Image

@ScarbsF1
The RB9 is designed to run Passive DRD, I've found two ducts fed from under the roll hoop, that are not for cooling.

:up:

Passive DRD is the name of the game this season. Almost impossible to get it right on every circuit, but those who master it will have an absolute advantage over its competition.

#369 nomi

nomi

• 288 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:45

Anyone know all the names of female PR and media staff at Red Bull?

#370 JustinD

JustinD

• 65 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:47

Congratulations Newey another rocketship. He dominated the 90s, and looks like he will dominate this decade as well.

#371 Flamini

Flamini

• 799 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:07

This team is amazing :|

#372 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,080 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:09

Congratulations Newey another rocketship. He dominated the 90s, and looks like he will dominate this decade as well.

x

It is not only Newey, but all team is perfect from top to bottom!  ;)

#373 JustinD

JustinD

• 65 posts

This team is amazing :|

You mean Newey. Williams were just as strong in the 90s and became nothing the moment they lost Newey.

#374 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,149 posts

Well done guys 4 time consecutive WDC and WCC champions.

#375 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:41

That went quick from 'Red Bull not happy with the car', 'Vettel uncomfortable with the car' to 'Gratulations to the next titles' and Newey adulations and all thanks to two Friday sessions :lol:

I have always stated that I expected that the RB9 will be competitive after looking at the basic facts. Most shared that opinion here. Now it looks good but there are still huge unknows and even a simply dry running could be yield some massive surprises as the tyres are still very much a secret and the strategies unclear.

Posted Image

Beautiful integration of the DRD, looks stunning. I just hope the transistor will work. The Pics are from AMuS.

Posted Image

No DRD which might be a very sensible idea as understanding the black art and the car without the additional layer of complexity could be a considerably better use of rare ressources, especially time. I hope for a very smooth running and lots of data getting read the right way.

Edited by H2H, 15 March 2013 - 07:52.

#376 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:47

I wonder how worth is Newey now.
Newey = WDC + WCC

#377 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,883 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:53

Beautiful integration of the DRD, looks stunning. I just hope the transistor does it's work. The Pic is from AMuS.

That is indeed a very nice integration, I wonder why other teams, most notably Lotus, went for the big airbox intakes when it apparently can be integrated in a much more elegant and less draggy way. But surely there's less airflow and hence less effectiveness with an intake basically covered by the drivers head compared to a completely exposed one?

#378 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:59

That is indeed a very nice integration, I wonder why other teams, most notably Lotus, went for the big airbox intakes when it apparently can be integrated in a much more elegant and less draggy way. But surely there's less airflow and hence less effectiveness with an intake basically covered by the drivers head compared to a completely exposed one?

Probably less effective but probably also more foregiving. And maybe the driver can control the system a little with his head. (Like angle you head to the side, system works fully, stop the system when holding your head straight up)

#379 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 837 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:00

I saw a diagram somewhere that basically suggested as much that Lotus' system was designed so that maximum blowing was only achieved with no yaw in the vehicle and under full throttle. It was based on the spillage from the airbox when not under full throttle and the more forward faced engine intake blocking one side of the inlets under yaw.

Advertisement

#380 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,883 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:04

I saw a diagram somewhere that basically suggested as much that Lotus' system was designed so that maximum blowing was only achieved with no yaw in the vehicle and under full throttle. It was based on the spillage from the airbox when not under full throttle and the more forward faced engine intake blocking one side of the inlets under yaw.

:up:

#381 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:29

They key point I take away from this level of integration is that RBR is rather serious about trying to get the system work. Those circuits were the drag penalty gets quite big are in general those which profit most of the DRD - and exactly there the RB9 can run without somewhat draggy ears.

We have seen no DRD pole but this does of course not mean that the RBR isn't collecting lots and lots of data, especially about the transistor switching, and there we have another advantage. They have a much easier time to collect those information as most of the DRD package is firmly integrated and should be pretty much the baseline spec. Last year we saw for example Lotus having to switch between DRD ears and no-ears, with the obvious disadvantages in gathering of precious data. That DRD data time was pretty rare indeed. Red Bull should be able to run this baseline pretty much every session long...

We will see.

#382 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:31

Andrew Benson @andrewbensonf1
Me: "Vettel looks on another planet - high or low fuel" Leading engineer from rival team: "I agree unfortunately"

#383 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:26

Andrew Benson @andrewbensonf1
Me: "Vettel looks on another planet - high or low fuel" Leading engineer from rival team: "I agree unfortunately"

James Allen:

Reigning world champion Sebastian Vettel set the pace on the first day of the season in Melbourne. The German was the only driver to set a time under 1m 26s and his best time was set on the third lap on his supersoft tyres, having been forced to abort the first lap on the final sector due to traffic. This suggests that there was more to come.

So far we have not seen a Q3 or a race but it does look decently. Red Bull was overall just behind McLaren in Brazil, Austin and Abu Dhabi and they seem have made a big evolutionary step with intelligent, low-risk approach with a huge attention to detail fused into a neat package. McLaren on the other hand made a 'revolutionary step' and seem to suffer the lack of good testing. Scarbs made some interesting, far-sighted points, especially about the pull-rod front suspension and it's turnover implication and know-off effect on turning vanes. They have troubles to work on the setup and testing time is incredibly scarce this day. Every minute spend on turning over the car and tuning the setup on those key days is big problem especially when another great riddle in the form of the new Pirellis has to be faced*. So with McLaren shooting themselves for now into their knee things look better for RBR. Of course McLaren might be able to sort out those teething problems quickly and could once again show a great development pace.

*RBR seems to have done a neat job in this regard with the DRD as written before even if the interal ducting creats some bulk and does very slightly increase the weight high up. We will see how the race configuration looks like.

#384 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,464 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:29

Sebastian will eat us this season like Heidi her hamburger :rolleyes:

#385 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,810 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:31

Early signs suggest a season like 2011 again, too bad. :well:

#386 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:42

Geez guys, wake up, will you! Since when FP1 and 2 mean anything? I am surely happy that Seb is close to sharp end of the grid, as opposed to sitting at P15 or 16, but at the end I would not bet a house on that alone for a season.

Edited by Sakae, 15 March 2013 - 10:44.

#387 chumma

chumma

• 960 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:49

Jon Noble spoke to a rival engineer and was basically told its game over for everyone. Vettel will walk 2013.

#388 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:58

The mascular bull...

Posted Image

Lost of details in the other ones.

Edited by H2H, 15 March 2013 - 11:00.

#389 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,810 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:02

Geez guys, wake up, will you! Since when FP1 and 2 mean anything? I am surely happy that Seb is close to sharp end of the grid, as opposed to sitting at P15 or 16, but at the end I would not bet a house on that alone for a season.

Remember Melbourne last year? Vettel was nowhere all weekend and still finished second on sunday. Now he blew everyone away in FP1 and FP2.

#390 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:04

Jon Noble spoke to a rival engineer and was basically told its game over for everyone. Vettel will walk 2013.

Brazil comes early this year? Nahh, you can dismiss that easily. We heard similar sentiments many times before, and it is very seldom how it turns at the end. I am one of Seb's fans, but not even I would believe that.

#391 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:06

Remember Melbourne last year? Vettel was nowhere all weekend and still finished second on sunday. Now he blew everyone away in FP1 and FP2.

Well, you are merely confirming that results in FP1 and 2 are not good predictors what will happen on Sunday.

#392 joshb

joshb

• 3,269 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:10

Looks good but hopefully RB can make it count as in 2011, Vettel took pole by 7 tenths and then next race was only 1 tenth up. The others will catch up so its important to get the points on the board at the start, it also means less risk taking later on if you bank big points now.

#393 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,890 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:31

I gotta say. This place is a lot cheerier than the McLaren thread atm.

I watched a Swedish preview of the 2013 season and different people in the teams were asked who they thought was the fastest driver. And they all said either Hamilton or Alonso. Not a single one mentioned Vettel (except Horner) even though he has all the records and 3 titles. Seems the mantra that "the car is doing the winning, not Vettel" is still in effect.

But one just has to look at his teammate for the past years to realize that Vettel really is those extra tenths to that car. I for one think its amazing.
However, I still think we need a couple of races to truly establish a pecking order.

#394 mclarennut

mclarennut

• 477 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:38

But one just has to look at his teammate for the past years to realize that Vettel really is those extra tenths to that car. I for one think its amazing.

So all you are really saying is that Vettel is quicker than his team mate?? thats not really hard, But if he had Lewis as a team mate the last 3 years at red bull, I would bet Lewis would be 4 times WDC and Vettel 0. so it is the car not the driver, a good driver just helps.

Edited by mclarennut, 15 March 2013 - 11:40.

#395 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,890 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:48

So all you are really saying is that Vettel is quicker than his team mate?? thats not really hard, But if he had Lewis as a team mate the last 3 years at red bull, I would bet Lewis would be 4 times WDC and Vettel 0. so it is the car not the driver, a good driver just helps.

Yes, of course. Dont know about the Lewis winning it all though. But I was just making a point about the thesis of the car doing the winning. Which I always thought was nonsense.

#396 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:54

So Lewis is indeed godlike, getting 4 out of 3. And he is also completely off-topic, drivel or not. It is the RB9 car thread...

The sculputered rear, with a good view on the pull-rod suspension layout.

Edited by H2H, 15 March 2013 - 11:54.

#397 mclarennut

mclarennut

• 477 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:55

Yes, of course. Dont know about the Lewis winning it all though. But I was just making a point about the thesis of the car doing the winning. Which I always thought was nonsense.

It is foremost the car, if a horse is very good you could put a women on top of it and it would still win.

Hamilton is a lot quicker than Vettel so he would have out raced him if they was team mates, put them in the same car on the same track and Lewis (was) is a second quicker, so I expect Vettel would have been the bridesmaid.

Edited by mclarennut, 15 March 2013 - 11:55.

#398 Absulute

Absulute

• 872 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:55

So Lewis is indeed godlike, getting 4 out of 3.

You realise he already has 1 WDC?

#399 mclarennut

mclarennut

• 477 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:59

So Lewis is indeed godlike, getting 4 out of 3. And he is also completely off-topic, drivel or not. It is the RB9 car thread...

The sculputered rear, with a good view on the pull-rod suspension layout.

No, the last 3 years plus the one Lewis did win, that makes 4, you did not do well at maths in school Im guessing.

I talking about vettel not making the RedBull quicker than it really is and giving a reason why I think that, so I believe it is on topic...

Edited by mclarennut, 15 March 2013 - 12:01.

Advertisement

#400 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:04

No, the last 3 years plus the one Lewis did win, that makes 4, you did not do well at maths in school Im guessing.

I talking about vettel not making the RedBull quicker than it really is and giving a reason why I think that, so I believe it is on topic...

:lol:

Absolutely not on topic. We have other threads for drivel, at least this one should focus on the important technical side.

Look at the lower nose slot. You can see how it slopes upwards immediatly.

Edited by H2H, 15 March 2013 - 12:07.