Photo

Haynes - Julian Hunt

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 18:42

I am having a small problem with Haynes.

They have published a book by Julian Hunt about the circuits and Motorsports venues across the UK.

In the book a photo appears, that was taken by me, and is credit to me in the in the caption. However I was not approached beforehand for permission which would have been usual. I have written to Haynes but they seem to be ignoring my approaches. In the past any author has asked permission beforehand and a remuneration agreed then.

My question is simple, is giving the credit sufficient to cover themselves? does anyone have any contact details for either Mr Hunt or a person within Haynes that they feel may be able to help? (please don't post them on the forum but PM me would be safer)

Advertisement

#2 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 19:44

I don't have any contacts at Haynes, but that's not good. Where would they have lifted your photo from?

Edited by Gary C, 05 January 2013 - 19:44.

#3 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 19:46

I think you will find Mr Hunt is a member on here as "Fuzz"

#4 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,531 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 19:48

I think you will find Mr Hunt is a member on here as "Fuzz"

No, he is fuzzi http://forums.autosp...?showuser=18839

Edited by Geoff E, 05 January 2013 - 19:49.

#5 PCC

PCC

• 1,095 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 20:30

My question is simple, is giving the credit sufficient to cover themselves?

No. It just means they know from whom they stole it.

#6 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:03

They have published a book by Julian Hunt about the circuits and Motorsports venues across the UK.

In the book a photo appears, that was taken by me, and is credit to me in the in the caption. However I was not approached beforehand for permission which would have been usual. I have written to Haynes but they seem to be ignoring my approaches. In the past any author has asked permission beforehand and a remuneration agreed then.

My question is simple, is giving the credit sufficient to cover themselves? does anyone have any contact details for either Mr Hunt or a person within Haynes that they feel may be able to help? (please don't post them on the forum but PM me would be safer)

I suggest a letter from your Solicitor might get their attention....people take far too many liberties these days :rolleyes:

#7 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:31

My recent experience with solicitors has been all bad - charges of £300+ per hour you run up gigantic bills and often as not get a bad outcome having lost tens of thousands in the process - so think very carefully first is my advice.

#8 john aston

john aston

• 2,700 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:59

My word the knives come out quickly- the book is a gem and whilst the OP's irritation is understandable shall we just leave if for Julian to get in touch, as I am sure he will rather than talking about solicitors , theft etc, I don't like lynch mobs and I really do not expect to see one on here.

#9 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:20

My word the knives come out quickly- the book is a gem and whilst the OP's irritation is understandable shall we just leave if for Julian to get in touch, as I am sure he will rather than talking about solicitors , theft etc, I don't like lynch mobs and I really do not expect to see one on here.

Organising a lynch mob might be quite easy these days with all the social media means available...

Ergh...advice is advice, and I don't charge that much for mine. A simple letter, stating that you are not happy is certainly a peg in the sand that others cannot walk away from...

So....an initial letter is a clear signal to someone that you have been aggrieved....but it is light years from a lynch mob :rolleyes:

#10 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 562 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:21

Organising a lynch mob might be quite easy these days with all the social media means available...

Ergh...advice is advice, and I don't charge that much for mine. A simple letter, stating that you are not happy is certainly a peg in the sand that others cannot walk away from...

So....an initial letter is a clear signal to someone that you have been aggrieved....but it is light years from a lynch mob :rolleyes:

Why would you need a solicitor to write a simple letter and why would you raise it here without first writing a simple letter or making a phone call?

Let's face it, and leaving issues of credit and permission and courtesy aside, the copyright situation now, which means copyright (broadly speaking) is retained by the photographer or successors for 70 years after his/her death is ridiculous when it comes to ordinary photographs of historical but limited artistic merit or commercial value. If, as a wild guess, one suggests a photographer of the simplest box brownie image lives for 30 years after taking a photograph this means that someone wanting it use it in a history of an xymobile has to seek permission (if the copyright owner can be found) for anything taken after 1912.

I agree, the book is a gem.

Edited by tsrwright, 06 January 2013 - 09:22.

#11 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 583 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:32

Hello

I have only just seen this thread. I tried to contact one person about lack of permission or fee for his photograph and he has not yet replied. I now find that I sent an e-mail to not quite the the correct contact address given in the initial contact with Haynes so the lack of response is not surprising. I have now re-sent the e-mail to the correct address.

I was upset to find that I had used an image without apparently obtaining permission and am seeking to sort the problem out.

If you are not talking about the image on p35 (or even if you are) please e-mail me direct on hunt4us@btinternet.com

Edited by fuzzi, 06 January 2013 - 09:48.

#12 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:03

Well done, mate.

#13 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:44

The matter has now been resolved without the need for any unpleasantness.

Thank you to everyone that took the time to reply.

#14 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 15:05

For the record, Julian used some of my photos in his excellent book; he contacted me beforehand requesting permission and kept me up to date with progress re publication. I was very happy to receive a gratis copy with a nice, hand-written note, from Haynes.

Perhaps those folks with hair-triggers could now apologise?

#15 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 15:20

In my case, I took some slides of an obscure hillclimb to use up some Ansco 400 ASA (yes 400 ASA in 1970!) film I had in my camera, and in response to Julian's request on here I forwarded them to him. I was pleased when he chose one of my 40-year old snaps t use and I said I wanted no payment other than a [joking] request for a ride in his Austin 7 'some tiime'. To my surprise when the book was published I received a complimentary copy of the book accompanied by a handwritten note as Elansprint72 says. A nice unexpected touch.

#16 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 15:51

The image in question was taken by myself around 30 years ago on our annual family holiday in the channel islands.

When I took the photo I would have been in my early teens and never thought it would end up in a book. It sat along with about a 1000 others from various race meetings in shoeboxes, very few of them being of good quality.

About 2001 when my children arrived a suddenly found alot of time that required a quite pastime so armed with scanner they were transferred to disk and then uploaded to a photo hosting site (now defunct foto pic). The surprise was that at that stage there was a demand for them so was pleased to be able to help the racing sportscar site and a couple of others over the years

This lead onto suppling a few images to authors such as janos w and others, most recently Allan Scotts book on the twr jags. I have rarely asked for money in the past, happy to accept a copy of the book when and if published.

I do not know what has happened here but am happy it was a simple misunderstanding without any intent, but it has now been resolved.

#17 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:11

Julian used a LOT of my images in his excellent book,and in all my years of dealing with authors ,publishers you coudnt find an easier chap to deal with.