Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:45

That's everything registered per month

Love to know how many of those sales aren't taxis...  ;) :lol:

Advertisement

#52 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 837 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:46

Probably none actually. Taxis are typically bought second hand.

#53 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,545 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:12

Probably none actually. Taxis are typically bought second hand.

I'd be surprised at that tbh. But I'll rephrase the question then - love to know how many of those sales aren't fleet vehicles...

#54 BellisEndis

BellisEndis

• 123 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:56

Love to know how many of those sales aren't taxis...;) :lol:

I believe there were also record numbers of dealer demo cars registered which count.

Edited by BellisEndis, 11 January 2013 - 05:56.

#55 teejay

teejay

• 3,634 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:04

The Falcon sold 13 000 in 2012.

In 2000, the horrid AU sold 50 000.

At the sale rate of 13 000, Ford Aus is losing huge dollars to sell them.

They wont last beyond 2015 imho.

Falcons are barely bought as taxis now too - camry is taking over actually.

#56 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,291 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:47

falcon marketing is RUBBISH - both of their commercial offerings and their track exploits. commodore has killed them in this area for 20 years.

#57 KOMORI

KOMORI

• 429 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:51

134mph/1350 kgs = how many Moroso horses??

I'm short on time to actually check and on holiday, but my old VH ran 115mph/3000lbs and from a vague memory was good for 500 odd hp out of an iron block VN headed 10.7:1 8000rpm Holden V8... That owed me roughly $10k.

#58 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,850 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:51

As bellisendis suggests, 'sales' figures are a marketing tool. There's some bullshit classification system whereby if a dealer moves a car from the stock category to the demo category, it's counted as a sale. Particularly useful if you're trying to inflate sales figures in a given period.
The obvious way would be to measure new registrations but that's too obvious.

If Ford have given up on marketing the falcon (which is what it looks like) I reckon that's a sign they know more about its future than they're letting on.
Maybe they're going to go with Taurus/fusion to break that tie to taxis and fleet vehicles the falcon name has?

So Nissan are building their own engine, what about the Merc? Is it the off the shelf job and just Merc panels on the car? (And yeah I know it's not factory Merc, just a team running a Merc)

#59 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,092 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:18

The Falcon sold 13 000 in 2012.

In 2000, the horrid AU sold 50 000.

At the sale rate of 13 000, Ford Aus is losing huge dollars to sell them.

They wont last beyond 2015 imho.

Falcons are barely bought as taxis now too - camry is taking over actually.

In addition to that, the sales of the commodore is better atm which does not help Ford at all. I still don't understand why Ford does not export the Falcon to other countries. It can be considered a good replacement or addition to the Mustang with its drivetrain offer. I think former Ford CEO of Australia also state along the lines "what's so prestigious of a Falcon being a taxi?"

Basically seeing the Falcon after 2015 is slim and production of it will most likely be ceased in Australia.

Edited by sheepgobba, 11 January 2013 - 10:21.

Advertisement

#60 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,545 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:01

...If Ford have given up on marketing the falcon (which is what it looks like) I reckon that's a sign they know more about its future than they're letting on.
Maybe they're going to go with Taurus/fusion to break that tie to taxis and fleet vehicles the falcon name has?

Yeah I reckon they have pretty much accepted that they can't shake the 'taxi' image of the Falcon and have given up marketing it. Anything they replace it with just can't be badged a Falcon - that would kinda defeat the purpose - but the Taurus name doesn't really conjure up fond memories either. Perhaps Fusion would be best for a clean start...

#61 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,850 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:14

But the fusion is the mondeo from this year isn't it? So they're in a bit of a pickle
Would take some serious market research to see if the Taurus name is too badly tainted.

#62 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,426 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 14:26

Ironically the new Fusion is the drivers car pick of the mid sized cars over here. Rides a little sharper but doesn't mind being hussled. But yeah, the Taurus is the Falcon sized replacement.

#63 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,413 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 23:00

If Ford have given up on marketing the falcon (which is what it looks like) I reckon that's a sign they know more about its future than they're letting on.

If anything why not bring back the Falcon as a four door Mustang (of course made in Australia, alongside the Taurus (proably find some other name as the Taurus name is trash in Australia) and Focus). :up:

If the Toybaru has shown anything, it is that people do like sports car. A pratical 4 door 3 series sized car with a 5L Coyote V8 at discount Ford pricing.. that would sell IMO, even exported back to the US. :cool:

#64 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,413 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 23:05

I still don't understand why Ford does not export the Falcon to other countries.

Because Ford USA won't give them the money to make a left hand drive version.
The FG is still basically related to the BF and therefore AU models in my understanding.
It would take a major redesign / new platform, whereas their instructions seem to be to "eek out" the exisiting design and good ol' inline six for as long as possible. I suppose their hands are tied as moving to a new platform with "modern" (if not better) V6 would encourage Ford USA to shut down the engine plant and import the engine, which is hardly desirable. Ruddy Americans!

And it is true that for the most part a lot of buyers couldn't care less if the car is rear wheel drive or front wheel drive. Those front wheel drive medium/large cars are perfectly roomy for their purposes. :well:

Seperating out the "Falcon" as a proud sports sedan with heritage (even back in the US), as distinct from the bread and butter Ford sedans (taxis) would not be such a bad thing.

(Although maybe they are damned either way. We complain about them having niche cars that aren't flexible enough to be built with the wheel on both sides (Falcon or Mustang). Yet on the other hand for instance Americans complain about Ford globally imposing DCT universally on all their small cars, when such transmissions might not be smooth or indestructible enough for American tastes.)

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 11 January 2013 - 23:14.

#65 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,053 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 23:40

Basically seeing the Falcon after 2015 is slim and production of it will most likely be ceased in Australia.

Ford's winding down production in Oz. period,the current Govt. are trying to avoid Hawke's Kodak moment but are looking at ways to keep Ford manufacturing in Australia past 2016 but it looks like the Libs. will inherit the problem and the massif subsidies needed.

#66 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 00:10

The Labor Govt doesnt want to be the government that loses car manufacturing in Australia, basically. It wouldnt play well to their base (unions), so they're desperately propping it up so that it can be the Liberals problem in a few years.

Will the Libs just let it die? Not like they're getting the votes of those factory workers anyway.... may as well save the money imo.

#67 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,757 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 00:38

:) My understanding is the Nissan engine is "better" and will be restricted.
Same RPM and compression ratio but with quad cams. Can't see how it would be less powerful.

Also, aren't they are taking away the fuel stops so fans don't complain about better fuel economy of Nissan and Mercedes? But come Bathurst time they should be able to use that advantage to good effect if Ricko can keep it on the road.

Reportedly [from the Kelly team] they are well down at the moment, and a different power band too.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 12 January 2013 - 00:39.

#68 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,757 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:02

You do know different race series all have different rules (v8sc has min block/component weights, 7500rpm limit, spec motor location and so on) so I have no idea why your waffling on about Sprintcars and putting Nationwide engines in v8sc none of that means dick to me.. The simple fact is that the current v8 engines are some of the most efficient 5ls out there making 125-130hp/L and from what i'm told Nissian are down on power compared to the ford/holden v8s so far and it ain't going to be easy to match the current v8 engines for either merc/nissian even with 4 valves and and alloy block..

Also I'm pretty sure that engine dyno above is a lot more accurate than some car dyno you used ;)

The mininum weights have gone. Different rules now. A Benz or Nissan engine is an entirely different ballgame. A Ford Windsor, A Holden V8 A Chev V8 or a Mopar V8 can all be configured to comply with the old rules. They are all pushrod, single cam 4" x 3" bore engines.With 5.4" long rods. Though the Ford deckheight versions of a Chev are a little special. Again some sanity, the tall deck blocks advailable readliy for a Ford almost match the Chev and mopar LA series.
As for comparison with Nationwide or Sprinters, D'oh they are Chevrolet engines the same as Thuper car. but a short stroke version with short block and conrods. A 12-1 6 litre engine with 6" rods is going to make better power than a 5 litre 10-1 engine with 5.4 rods. That is BASIC mechanicals. Yet the power NUMBERS are the same, except for the torque, a 100ft lbs down. Torque is an important part of USEABLE power.
Both the Benz and Nissan engines are reputed to be a taller, smaller bore longer stroke engine,, with 4 valves per cylinder. The Nissan engine is supposedly based on the new Patrol engine and that defenitly is very similar to the Landcruiser v8 which is an entirely different logistic than a 302 Ford or Chev which 40 years ago where '[and still are] a short stroke torquless high revving hi horsepower [for the capacity] engine. making the 7500 limit actually too little, 8000 would be more advantagous. And is possibly coming in the name of parity. Though then all the diff or gear ratios have to be adjusted. And then weights. And aero, and frontal area. And it goes on and on.
As I said before, I have been around the edges of that scene for a long time and have built many Chev, Ford and Holden engines, and seen all the horsepower claims. And driven past the supposed huge horsepower [turbo] engines with far less power in a heavier car!

#69 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,088 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:21

Because Ford USA won't give them the money to make a left hand drive version.

I think it has more to cutting into sales of the Mustang. Same reason they don't bring the sports versions of the Focus to North America as well.

#70 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:54

And driven past the supposed huge horsepower [turbo] engines with far less power in a heavier car!

skippy badge for you, then.

#71 BellisEndis

BellisEndis

• 123 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:39

The mininum weights have gone. Different rules now.

Nothing I have read/been told has said they got rid of the rules for min weight, location, bore and stroke and so on, got a link?? I know there is provision for adjustment for parity with the new engines but nothing on throwing them all out..

making the 7500 limit actually too little, 8000 would be more advantagous. And is possibly coming in the name of parity. Though then all the diff or gear ratios have to be adjusted. And then weights. And aero, and frontal area. And it goes on and on.

Doubt that will happen, the limit is there for engine life (as with min weight for components etc), also the current motor will push the peak power out to 7500rpm and increase the power by another 30-40hp if you up the limit, so no it won't be helping the new motors (and can't see them giving just merc/Nissan an extra 500rpm as that ****s all the ratios as you said)

Edited by BellisEndis, 12 January 2013 - 04:48.

#72 teejay

teejay

• 3,634 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:52

134mph/1350 kgs = how many Moroso horses??

I'm short on time to actually check and on holiday, but my old VH ran 115mph/3000lbs and from a vague memory was good for 500 odd hp out of an iron block VN headed 10.7:1 8000rpm Holden V8... That owed me roughly $10k.

Did your engine get rung out against limiter for 1000km over 7 hours successfully, or do several championship rounds which following incredibly strict guidelines designed to create even playing fields rather than outright power?

Edited by teejay, 12 January 2013 - 05:00.

#73 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,477 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:44

Nothing I have read/been told has said they got rid of the rules for min weight, location, bore and stroke and so on, got a link?? I know there is provision for adjustment for parity with the new engines but nothing on throwing them all out.

I believe the minimum weight has been reduced by 50kg.

#74 BellisEndis

BellisEndis

• 123 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:50

I believe the minimum weight has been reduced by 50kg.

I'm talking about the weight of the engine/components, now like I said there is now a provision for parity brought in with the COTF rules so who knows what help the new guys need to up to speed with their engines.. I doubt they will increase the RPM or drastically change the centre of gravity in the front.

#75 KOMORI

KOMORI

• 429 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:57

Did your engine get rung out against limiter for 1000km over 7 hours successfully, or do several championship rounds which following incredibly strict guidelines designed to create even playing fields rather than outright power?

It got thrashed mercilessly day in out for years and only broke with an accidental 10k plus over rev?? (Oooops lol!)

The point I was making was a $10k 308 with an off the shelf cam, carby, 2 bolt mains and built to a budget made roughly 500hp.... I had slightly more comp and revs to use but limited by rods, heads and dollars....

Versus a highly developed, injected, tuned to the Nth degree $150k+ (I'm sure Cromley quoted something around that?) engine that someone was claiming make 'only' 500 hp???

They're making minimum 620/30 hp. And they'll do it for hours. V8 Supercar motors are *probably* very close to the theoretical maximum you can get out of a 5l, naturally aspirated motor with a 10.5:1 comp and 7500rpm limit, with gains to be made only in drive ability, economy and power delivery being tailored to circuits I reckon.

Having said that I've never worked on one so its a theoretical guess... But to run 134mph in a 1350kg car without the best gearing or suspension set up to take advantage of the motor's output.... Half a brain would tell anyone they're a damn strong engine :)

#76 teejay

teejay

• 3,634 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:02

I totally agree - great engines.

#77 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,477 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 00:15

I'm talking about the weight of the engine/components, now like I said there is now a provision for parity brought in with the COTF rules so who knows what help the new guys need to up to speed with their engines.. I doubt they will increase the RPM or drastically change the centre of gravity in the front.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

IIRC most of the components with weight limits are things common to cam-in-block and ohc engines. Things such as crankshafts, con-rods, flywheels.

#78 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,850 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:04

It would take a major redesign / new platform, whereas their instructions seem to be to "eek out" the exisiting design and good ol' inline six for as long as possible.

Talking to a friend yesterday, the cluelessness of Ford's marketing and model line up came up and his suggestion was this.
The Territory is based on a Falcon right? So whey not use the Territory's diesel engine in a falcon as a green version instead of the turbo 4.
Diesel is the fuel of the moment.
Holden doesn't do a diesel commodore and it would be a good point of difference. Emphasise the torque of the diesel to attract the dyed in the wool big car/big engine buyers.

They've got to stop going head to head with Holden I think. Make a break, try something different, a sporty/muscle shape (like http://www.dodge.com/en/2013/charger/), a boxy shape (a la Chrysler 300) just something to differentiate the 2 because they're too similar and Ford is on the wrong end of the battle.

Edited by Brother Fox, 14 January 2013 - 03:07.

#79 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,413 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:28

So whey not use the Territory's diesel engine in a falcon as a green version instead of the turbo 4.
Diesel is the fuel of the moment.

That sounds a good idea.
I guess it is too simple for the marketing folks at Ford...
It is a shame that the Territory has gone out of production too (?).

IMHO Australian cars look great on the outside generally, base specs aside, so they have got that absolutely right. :up:

Unfortunately I think that private buyers who aren't looking for a performance car might be put off by the outdated interiors -- no rear headrests on the FG seems to hark back to the AU and the centre console located window controls on the VE seems to be a design "feature" kept on from 1988. :well: Together with the low resale value factor and that might encourage another sale to Passat or Mazda6 etc.

I guess both Aussie cars will a little nicer after their next updates however. :)

And Falcon v Commodore really is mission impossible isn't it. Kind of like Honda trying to convince Australian retirees :p that the Civic Sedan is a better indestructible buzzbox than a Corolla Sedan (what is this "style" or "performance" you talk of, I have never heard of such concepts ;) ). American Retirees might think the Civic is better and buy accordingly to make it #1, but trying to change perceptions in a market that thinks something different is not easy or quick I don't think.

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 14 January 2013 - 03:38.

Advertisement

#80 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,053 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 22:25

Apparently deal is done for TV coverage to stay on 7,lots of rumours that 7 was playing hardball for a reduced fee or they would walk so it will be interesting to see the details when they are released.

http://www.speedcafe...8-tv-deal-done/

#81 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 295 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:47

yes more detail to come later today apparently.
I was hoping the V8's would go back to Ch 10. but after OneHD coverage of last year's AGP on Ten/OneHD yep the v8 Suppercars would better off staying on Ch7. but with apparently more coverage of horse racing and AFL, I hope the V8's will get a good deal. Speed caf'e will release more detailes later today.

Apparently deal is done for TV coverage to stay on 7,lots of rumours that 7 was playing hardball for a reduced fee or they would walk so it will be interesting to see the details when they are released.

http://www.speedcafe...8-tv-deal-done/

Edited by mouserat159, 15 January 2013 - 02:11.

#82 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,413 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:09

Would it really be so bad if the next Falcon XR6 was more like this car? 270kw all wheel drive. (Plus a bit more punch again for the FPV F6 version of course.;) ) In theory, it should give Ford Australia access to a more refined and therefore more marketable car.

http://upload.wikime..._09-07-2009.jpg

#83 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,850 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:13

As long as buyers dont find out what Americans pay for them

#84 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 837 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:06

Would it really be so bad if the next Falcon XR6 was more like this car? 270kw all wheel drive. (Plus a bit more punch again for the FPV F6 version of course.;) ) In theory, it should give Ford Australia access to a more refined and therefore more marketable car.

http://upload.wikime..._09-07-2009.jpg

That thing weighs more than a Territory. But what does it matter, new LHD only Taurus will be based off Mondeo/Fusion and be on sale in the US in 2015.

#85 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,413 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:54

That thing weighs more than a Territory.

Really? Ruddy Americans.

But what does it matter, new LHD only Taurus will be based off Mondeo/Fusion and be on sale in the US in 2015.

Hooray! Ruddy Americans.

So that secures a future for the Falcon then, as they surely don't want everyone to drive a mondeo. Get that left hand drive engineering done, start selling these things all over the world with ecoboost/diesel or optional coyote v8, paired to the latest 8 speed powershifts and bob's your auntie's cousin. :)

If you could get the pricing and quality right, I think there is a chance Ford Australia could be stealing some sales off the mid/high spec barges produced by Citroen, Renault, Volkswagen etc in Europe. I would think Ford of Europe would welcome the chance to slot in a rear wheel drive 5.0L v8 sedan slightly above the top spec Mondeo. Apparently Ford is considered a comparable alternative to Volkswagen in Germany (with Opel being a lower tier, let alone the Korean Chevys), though I am not sure how the locals would view an imported Ford rather than a German-built Ford.

Imagine if they could export Falcon kits for assembly in China too, where large rear drive barges seem to be quite popular (surely mainly merc/bmw, but if you offer a vw alternative with rwd and plently of grunt then you never know what the market might think), that would be quite the boon.

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 17 January 2013 - 06:03.

#86 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,477 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:21

Imagine if they could export Falcon kits for assembly in China too, where large rear drive barges seem to be quite popular (surely mainly merc/bmw, but if you offer a vw alternative with rwd and plently of grunt then you never know what the market might think), that would be quite the boon.

I would imagine that the Falcon would only be viable for one factory, and that if manufacturing went off shore it would end up all being built off shore.

I am stunned that Ford didn't think to put the Diesel in the Falcon. Or that someone like Herrods don't offer a conversion.

Edited by Wuzak, 17 January 2013 - 09:23.

#87 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 837 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:40

It's more critical in Territory. SUV's sell on average 50% diesel, sedans much lower around 10%. Pent up demand had Territory selling at 80% diesel when SZ model launched.

#88 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,426 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:51

The problem with turbo charged motors is they do great at passing tests but suck down some fuel if you don't drive a certain way. I have a 2.0T in my Saab (2008, 155KW, 300nm torque) and barreling along at 120 clicks on the freeway she sucks down a very respectable 7l/100km, at 100kmh it's at 6.5l/100km. On short trips about town though, I am up around 12l/100km.

You need to lay off the turbo unless you need it for passing or merging onto a freeway, it makes a HUGE difference to the way she drinks.

Edited by Alfisti, 18 January 2013 - 03:55.

#89 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,291 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:28

So that secures a future for the Falcon then, as they surely don't want everyone to drive a mondeo. Get that left hand drive engineering done, start selling these things all over the world with ecoboost/diesel or optional coyote v8, paired to the latest 8 speed powershifts and bob's your auntie's cousin. :)

If you could get the pricing and quality right, I think there is a chance Ford Australia could be stealing some sales off the mid/high spec barges produced by Citroen, Renault, Volkswagen etc in Europe. I would think Ford of Europe would welcome the chance to slot in a rear wheel drive 5.0L v8 sedan slightly above the top spec Mondeo. Apparently Ford is considered a comparable alternative to Volkswagen in Germany (with Opel being a lower tier, let alone the Korean Chevys), though I am not sure how the locals would view an imported Ford rather than a German-built Ford.

ford have left it 20 years too late to do any of that IMHO. the parent company has repeatedly expressed no interest in the idea and i don't think it fits with their strategy. i think the falcon's a good car but it hasn't been developed and integrated like the commodore was (and continues to be). TBH i think the bigggest difference is cosmetically but that's an important factor.

#90 BellisEndis

BellisEndis

• 123 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 00:56

http://www.speedcafe...s-season-nears/

Nissan Motorsport continues to chase a competitive power output from its quad-cam V8 Supercar engine, and may need to request a short-term parity concession in order to be on the pace at Adelaide’s season opener.

The team has been bench testing its 5.0 litre version of Nismo’s VK56DE race motor since mid-September, but is now running out of time to match the approximated 640bhp target figure ahead of the first round.

Team co-owner and driver Todd Kelly is confident that the gap can be bridged through further development of the already homologated package, but admits that finding the required performance before Adelaide will be difficult.

hmmm

#91 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,757 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:29

That sounds a good idea.
I guess it is too simple for the marketing folks at Ford...
It is a shame that the Territory has gone out of production too (?).

IMHO Australian cars look great on the outside generally, base specs aside, so they have got that absolutely right. :up:

Unfortunately I think that private buyers who aren't looking for a performance car might be put off by the outdated interiors -- no rear headrests on the FG seems to hark back to the AU and the centre console located window controls on the VE seems to be a design "feature" kept on from 1988. :well: Together with the low resale value factor and that might encourage another sale to Passat or Mazda6 etc.

I guess both Aussie cars will a little nicer after their next updates however. :)

And Falcon v Commodore really is mission impossible isn't it. Kind of like Honda trying to convince Australian retirees :p that the Civic Sedan is a better indestructible buzzbox than a Corolla Sedan (what is this "style" or "performance" you talk of, I have never heard of such concepts ;) ). American Retirees might think the Civic is better and buy accordingly to make it #1, but trying to change perceptions in a market that thinks something different is not easy or quick I don't think.

WTF would you want a toy diesel car. Low powered with no engine response and not a great deal of engine life,,, and diesel is 20c a litre dearer often. Plus higher mainenance costs. And everytime you refuel you get filthy hands.
As for Honda, a 5 letter swear word with very high maintenance costs. Drive ok when they are going. Corrollas are so damn boring, thougn cheap to run and reasonably reliable.But who wants to drive either. They are city cars, unsuited for long distance travel. Cannot tow anything. Just a decent urban shopping trolley.
As for a Mondeo based car, a Ford dealer mechanic I know says they are keeping the workshop busy!!
That is why there is so many 4 wheel drive on the highways. I have just driven Brisbane to Adelaide and most of the cars out there are 4wd, Commys and Falcons. Hondas, probably none apart from a CRX or two. Go bush and you see none of the toy 4 wds. Just Cruisers, Patrols and the occasional Paj or Prado.

#92 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,757 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:35

http://www.speedcafe...s-season-nears/

hmmm

I knew that weeks ago. Run what you have got approved or dont play at all.
And Erebus [Stones] have yet to run an engine yet alone a car. Like drivers they probably should go play in level 2 for a while. Clearly both new commers are not ready. Though with all new cars nor are most other teams.

Does anyone know the bore and stroke of the Nissans and Mercedes?

#93 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,053 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:00

The Nissan engine is the VK56DE Lee,there was a PR late last year that had details but i can't find it.

http://en.wikipedia....issan_VK_engine

#94 BellisEndis

BellisEndis

• 123 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:28

And Erebus [Stones] have yet to run an engine yet alone a car. Like drivers they probably should go play in level 2 for a while. Clearly both new commers are not ready. Though with all new cars nor are most other teams.

Does anyone know the bore and stroke of the Nissans and Mercedes?

I would bet on the Germans being the better of the two with engines come Adelaide..

The same as the ford/holdens - roughly 75 x 102 mm I believe

#95 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,850 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 22:53

So is he? or isn't he?

Would definitely bring some interest to the series.

#96 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,757 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:00

The Nissan engine is the VK56DE Lee,there was a PR late last year that had details but i can't find it.

http://en.wikipedia....issan_VK_engine

Going by that they have produced a special engine, the bore is 4.5 mm bigger than the V56 motor and about 9mm bigger than the V50 motor. Then what is the deck height, clearly a lot less than the production engine. Just another pure racing engine in supposedly a stock block class. Though I guess they are all Ford deck height, little short engines with short rods.Maybe they can use a production sump gasket, though probablty not.

And the Mercedes? Since one has not surfaced yet they are stupidly late.

#97 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,413 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:23

Apparently they already ran their car at QR in a closed test. :)

#98 wonk123

wonk123

• 926 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:45

Going by that they have produced a special engine, the bore is 4.5 mm bigger than the V56 motor and about 9mm bigger than the V50 motor. Then what is the deck height, clearly a lot less than the production engine. Just another pure racing engine in supposedly a stock block class. Though I guess they are all Ford deck height, little short engines with short rods.Maybe they can use a production sump gasket, though probablty not.

They did a shakedown last week. Link

#99 wonk123

wonk123

• 926 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:00

LARRY PERKINS has today confirmed the final details of the sale of his two Racing Entitlement Contracts (RECs) to Kelly Racing and the closure of his longstanding Moorabbin, Victoria, workshop that was the home to Perkins Engineering since 1993.
Link

Advertisement

#100 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,850 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:09

He's got some impressive and deadly things on his resume, its nice to be able to walk away and enjoy retirement.
:up: