V8 Supercars - 2013 Season

• Please log in to reply
514 replies to this topic

#101 Peat

Peat

• 1,144 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:56

I have never really followed V8's, so here are my observations as an outsider:

The series seems to have lost/is losing its identity. Taking a successful domestic series and trying to force it into being an International has increased costs and diluted the fanbase. Moving more races abroad de-values the worth of long-standing Australian sponsors - Why would they want to keep coughing up if half the races are in foreign/irrelevant markets? Seems very ChampCar......

Nissan's involvement has some historical relevance at least, but the knock-off Merc thing is confusing. I hope they don't end up with some shonky NGTC-alikes with people converting any old car.

Advertisement

#102 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,408 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:20

LARRY PERKINS has today confirmed the final details of the sale of his two Racing Entitlement Contracts (RECs) to Kelly Racing and the closure of his longstanding Moorabbin, Victoria, workshop that was the home to Perkins Engineering since 1993.
Link

I was a bit surprised with Larry closing down PE. I thought it would have been sold as an entity.They were or did still make a lot of Supercar componentry as an industry supplier.
What did Larry do with all the old tractors? He had at least a dozen in one of those sheds at Moorabin,, mixed up with privateer Commodores.And helicopters, old and new.

#103 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,239 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:29

but the knock-off Merc thing is confusing. I hope they don't end up with some shonky NGTC-alikes with people converting any old car.

GT racing has always had wealthy patrons. It's just a wealthy patron, who happens to be a Mercedes-enthusiast, funding touring car racing instead of (apparently in addition to actually) sportscar racing. :) Besides it is a viable business too, I guess, but I don't think they are leveraging the brand too hard yet, The three sponsors they have would be on the cars anyway IMO.

Apparently there will be a Camry and maybe an i40 hyundai over in Kiwi-land.
Lots pretty decent actually, does the camry.
Posted Image

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 25 January 2013 - 12:36.

#104 wonk123

wonk123

• 867 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:37

So is he? or isn't he?

Would definitely bring some interest to the series.

As expected: a full time drive in the development series in a 888 car autosport

#105 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,455 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:48

Or at TouringCarTimes if you have used your 30 free views at Autosport.

#106 Sith

Sith

• 1,306 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:01

This series had now dropped back somewhat... The new tv deal is onl worth $10m, after they tried to shop around after the 1st offer Ch.7 made.. ($25m) Abu Dhabi has now been dropped from the calandar.. (It was NEVER gonna happen a week after the Gold Coast event..) now the Gold Coast event is also in trouble.. They're hoping the new manufacturers can create new interest in the sport.. But when your name is Jamie Whincup, & you keep winning, that's not gonna help... Tony Cockhead thought he could simulate the Clipsal 500 @ places like Hamiton, Gold Coast, & Townsville.. But Clipsal is a unique event... Now races are falling by the way side, & he's just waiting in the wings to buy it all back so he can own it outright, & start again...

FPR need to win either the title, or Bathurst to restore the faith to their fans, & the balance this series was built on.. If Merc or Nissan win Clipsal in the backyard of the Bogan-ville.. That's not a good start... Worse still would be if Whincup cakewalks to yet another title, as well as both enduros...

Which is more than likely...

#107 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,239 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:44

FPR need to win either the title, or Bathurst to restore the faith to their fans, & the balance this series was built on.. If Merc or Nissan win Clipsal in the backyard of the Bogan-ville.. That's not a good start... Worse still would be if Whincup cakewalks to yet another title, as well as both enduros...

Which is more than likely...

I don't think they can stop a team for being too good, but certainly the "show" is tired and people are switching off. The difference between a top sport and an also-ran is really the "care factor" rather than the acutal quality of competition. People still care who wins Bathurst, but they somehow gotta get people to care about lesser races.

#108 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,148 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:20

I don't think they can stop a team for being too good, but certainly the "show" is tired and people are switching off. The difference between a top sport and an also-ran is really the "care factor" rather than the acutal quality of competition. People still care who wins Bathurst, but they somehow gotta get people to care about lesser races.

Exactly. Having thirty cars line astern playing follow the leader and one team that is immune to reprimand for incidents doesn't do much for viewer enthusiasm. I used to watch every round in the late 90s/early 2000s but I basically only watch Bathurst for obvious reasons and Philip Island because the format is kind of interesting.

#109 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,408 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:51

After reading a couple of US sites the Thupercar series can have a new player,, Chevrolet. Give the yanks something to cheer for. Just nominate every second Holden a Chevrolet badge and grille and they are done. FIVE manufacturers, gee it is getting bigger! With the same 28 car grid ofcourse! Including Bathurst.

#110 wonk123

wonk123

• 867 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:55

After reading a couple of US sites the Thupercar series can have a new player,, Chevrolet. Give the yanks something to cheer for. Just nominate every second Holden a Chevrolet badge and grille and they are done. FIVE manufacturers, gee it is getting bigger! With the same 28 car grid ofcourse! Including Bathurst.

I am not usually one to bash V8supercars, but the Bathurst Grid is absolutely the most disappointing thing of the whole series. If only that would let top 20 cars from the development series run as well.

#111 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,417 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:57

No doubt the Commonbores will be branded Chevrolet SS's when teh series travels to Austin in May.

#112 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,417 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:00

I am not usually one to bash V8supercars, but the Bathurst Grid is absolutely the most disappointing thing of the whole series. If only that would let top 20 cars from the development series run as well.

And if they could get the kind of international participation they do at Surfers without the artificial requirements.

Example: Instead of getting David Besnard to co-drive at Bathurst, why not get Mika Salo? Why would you pick Warren Luff when you could get Seb Bourdais?

#113 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,408 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:00

They stopped Marcus Ambrose when he announced he was going Nascar. Everytime he drove near another car he was given a stop go.Probably why he has never came back for a guest drive at Bathurst etc. That series has been choregraphed for a long time. Motor Sport, No, just motorised entertainment.Like Nascar.The Cockroachs bible, do everything like Nascar only with road racing. Full couse yellows for a one corner incident, yeah right. It closes the cars up but is not racing.These days the great names like Brock, Dick, Gricey, Colin Bond, Moffat would not get a look in, they used to build a lead and maintain it. not allowed now.
They can and do drive very quickly ofcourse but actually I am surprised that Whincup has not been penalised a few times for the 'good' of the series, his mate has got a few suspect ones. It seems Craig is not allowed to beat Jamie, on his day he is better than him though probably not over a series.

#114 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,390 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:52

DJR on the verge of closing it's doors again...

#115 wonk123

wonk123

• 867 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 22:45

DJR on the verge of closing it's doors again...

Time for Steve to get a job packing shelves at Woolies.

He has been wasting that seat since day one. If they really have a couple of even half decent drivers with a budet then I am afraid it is time for him to go.

#116 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,037 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:03

They stopped Marcus Ambrose when he announced he was going Nascar. Everytime he drove near another car he was given a stop go.Probably why he has never came back for a guest drive at Bathurst etc. That series has been choregraphed for a long time. Motor Sport, No, just motorised entertainment.Like Nascar.The Cockroachs bible, do everything like Nascar only with road racing. Full couse yellows for a one corner incident, yeah right. It closes the cars up but is not racing.These days the great names like Brock, Dick, Gricey, Colin Bond, Moffat would not get a look in, they used to build a lead and maintain it. not allowed now.
They can and do drive very quickly ofcourse but actually I am surprised that Whincup has not been penalised a few times for the 'good' of the series, his mate has got a few suspect ones. It seems Craig is not allowed to beat Jamie, on his day he is better than him though probably not over a series.

You're stark raving mad.

#117 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,037 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:04

He has been wasting that seat since day one. If they really have a couple of even half decent drivers with a budet then I am afraid it is time for him to go.

You kinda feel for DJ (sorta anyway, i am a Holden fan but we won the war yeah) but then you realise he has had steve int he car for 15 years or whatever ..... that's just a poor show.

#118 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,408 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:45

Steve is an honest operator though no champion. He is better than about half the field, often in not so good equipment. But he usually brings the car home,, in one piece. More than some of the hot shots do who win or bin them

#119 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,390 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:50

Yeah I agree that Steve Johnson isn't the greatest of drivers - though I think he makes a good co-driver at enduros like Bathurst - so if DJR need drivers to bring money to survive then it's time he stepped aside for the good of the team, he's had a pretty good shot at it...

Advertisement

#120 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,014 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:33

Steve is an honest operator though no champion. He is better than about half the field, often in not so good equipment. But he usually brings the car home,, in one piece. More than some of the hot shots do who win or bin them

Are you serious? The guy has been wasting a seat for years. Considering there was stretch where Dick sacked 5 drivers in 5 years (including Glenn Seton) its pretty shocking how he's kept his son in there for no other reason than he is his son. The year when his teammate won the championship, he didn't even win a race let alone reach the podium! Bringing the car home means shit when the driver hasn't won a thing in over a decade.

#121 teejay

teejay

• 3,348 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:03

SJ is probably barely worth a development series seat let alone a top tier seat.

#122 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,408 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 23:14

Are you serious? The guy has been wasting a seat for years. Considering there was stretch where Dick sacked 5 drivers in 5 years (including Glenn Seton) its pretty shocking how he's kept his son in there for no other reason than he is his son. The year when his teammate won the championship, he didn't even win a race let alone reach the podium! Bringing the car home means shit when the driver hasn't won a thing in over a decade.

Courtney did get the best equipment, Steve got the left overs.And still brought the car home most of the time. That is fairly well known. As is the lack of money at DJR.
But yes Steve may have to stand aside for a 'pay' driver. Though if they bin cars regularly that makes Steve look cheap.
Budget teams need A reliability B speed, especially from No 2 drivers.
Though again it does not say a lot for the series when longstanding winning teams cannot raise money to race.
But having to build new cars is VERY costly and seemingly for no gain.
There is far too much money to run these cars, they could run for half the money if they used more production based cars. The spectacle [or lack of] will still be the same.

#123 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,014 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 23:58

Courtney did get the best equipment, Steve got the left overs.And still brought the car home most of the time. That is fairly well known. As is the lack of money at DJR.
But yes Steve may have to stand aside for a 'pay' driver. Though if they bin cars regularly that makes Steve look cheap.
Budget teams need A reliability B speed, especially from No 2 drivers.
Though again it does not say a lot for the series when longstanding winning teams cannot raise money to race.
But having to build new cars is VERY costly and seemingly for no gain.
There is far too much money to run these cars, they could run for half the money if they used more production based cars. The spectacle [or lack of] will still be the same.

And where has a safe pair of hands got them? At the back. No sponsors. Debts. Imminent closure. Another potential talent, even a pay driver, makes a team look like they are doing something about getting back at the front. Keeping Steve just means a guarantee of no TV time for sponsors, and paying him for it. Many of Dick's backers in the past would question why Steven still had a job, though not openly... I used to think of him as an emerging talent those first few years, especially 2001 where he looked to be fighting for the title but unfortunately he's had too much cotton wool thrown around him in his Dad's team.

I agree on the point of production based cars, but the series organisers do not want that.

#124 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,239 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:36

Subtle ;)

Posted Image

I don't mind it. Ford and Pepsi obviously going for a youth audience (whether or not they will be around in V8 racing for that long!). But cars like the Fiesta are definetely a cut above the (IMO) hideous Holden Barina (aka Chevy Aveo), and trying to persuade younger buyers to Ford even if they aren't interested in the Falcon.

#125 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,390 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:42

The last thing that livery makes me want to do is drink Pepsi or buy a Ford... yuck.

#126 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,239 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:39

Some Chevrolets Holdens:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 11 February 2013 - 11:43.

#127 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,022 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:57

I didn't hear/see it but my brother said ICAC are investigating payments to/from an individual regarding the securing of Govt. backing/support for the Homebush race,potential to get very messy.

http://www.dailytele...9-1226574920038

#128 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,239 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 14:27

I didn't hear/see it but my brother said ICAC are investigating payments to/from an individual regarding the securing of Govt. backing/support for the Homebush race,potential to get very messy.

Doesn't surprise me. Those street races, as a proposition, are "dodgy as bro".

If they had spent the money on an Indycar or sports car race at Eastern Creek instead then they would have an actual international promotional vehicle for the state with (some) tangible benefits... :confused:

#129 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 545 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:08

Some Chevrolets Holdens:
http://img823.images...013au3h6132.jpg
http://i251.photobuc...zpsd8816d40.jpg

So, the Ford vs. Holden era ends. What's the first thing Holden does to the car? Switch to a Ford rear wing... :rotfl:

Edited by juicy sushi, 11 February 2013 - 18:09.

#130 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,014 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:43

Subtle ;)

Posted Image

Man, I miss the days of simplicity. And to think, all those sponsors had great liveries once. Bowe's CAT Ford, Dougal McDougal's Pepsi Holden, Winterbottom's Orrcon Ford, and Perkin's Castrol Commodore.

Edited by Zippel, 11 February 2013 - 22:43.

#131 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,336 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 00:54

Some Chevrolets Holdens:

Here's as good a place as any to ask: What is with the Chev badges on Commodores on the road? It really bugs me that I dont know what theyre getting at.
I get they're both GM, but its like me sticking a Bugatti badge on my Passat.

Man, I miss the days of simplicity. And to think, all those sponsors had great liveries once. Bowe's CAT Ford, Dougal McDougal's Pepsi Holden, Winterbottom's Orrcon Ford, and Perkin's Castrol Commodore.

Hands down, the best F**KING name ever!

#132 wonk123

wonk123

• 867 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:02

Here's as good a place as any to ask: What is with the Chev badges on Commodores on the road? It really bugs me that I dont know what theyre getting at.

The ls series (gen 3) engines are chevs.

#133 teejay

teejay

• 3,348 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:10

And once upon a time they all spent enough to have an entire car to themselves.

#134 MattFoster

MattFoster

• 4,771 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:53

Can't wait to see what the Mercs will look like in their warpaint

#135 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,390 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:45

PMSL everytime I watch it... :lol:

#136 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,336 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:59

:up: Its a pretty tenuous link
So VL drivers should put a Nissan badge on then

#137 MattFoster

MattFoster

• 4,771 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:28

:up: :up:
That's some funny shit BF!

#138 wiligates

wiligates

• 2,785 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:34

http://www.dailytele...9-1226574920038

Hope McDonald and the whole Homebush event farce are sent packing.

#139 teejay

teejay

• 3,348 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:05

In my younger day I raced a VL with a Nismo sticker on the windscreen .. the sticker was funny, getting spanked by a 600hp RB30 wasnt.

Advertisement

#140 wonk123

wonk123

• 867 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:15

Haven't you seen a HQ ute with a small block and a chev badge on the grill? Doesn't mean they aren't wankers though. :lol:

#141 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,239 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:08

Some Nissans...

Posted Image

#142 0thecougar

0thecougar

• 69 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:40

They look pretty bloody good compared to some others. Nice and clean.
Anyone think they missed a trick by not going for the Winfield GTR retro look some how?
Or would it just add to much hype? (Jaguars return to F1 rings a bell-"The Cat is Back")

#143 alx346

alx346

• 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:44

The ls engine's are from Gm.. not Chevrolet.. so the Chevy badges on the holdens make no sense really

#144 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,310 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:04

Dear god are the Nissan cars hideous.

Look like a 10 year old Camry.

#145 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,390 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:45

Dear god are the Nissan cars hideous.

Look like a 10 year old Camry.

I wouldn't say hideous but Holden smashes them in the looks department, especially the HRT ones.

The Falcons look better too...

#146 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,408 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 22:09

The ls engine's are from Gm.. not Chevrolet.. so the Chevy badges on the holdens make no sense really

The engines are short deck SBC [Ford deckheight] with canted valve heads. and 5.4 conrods.Like a Ford! Parity you see.
How you get that compared with a quad cam jap or euro engine is yet to be seen. Though reputedly Nissan are still way behind ATM

#147 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,014 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:21

They look pretty bloody good compared to some others. Nice and clean.
Anyone think they missed a trick by not going for the Winfield GTR retro look some how?
Or would it just add to much hype? (Jaguars return to F1 rings a bell-"The Cat is Back")

Two things:
- Not sure if our 'Nanny State' would approve of such a thing, or even if its legal (We have plain packaging cigarettes now and that sort of livery may be classified as advertising, regardless of if Winfield contributed any money).
- The last time Aussies witnessed a Winfield Nissan in a ATCC race was memorable for the wrong reasons. :lol:

#148 SR388

SR388

• 2,977 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:33

Mark Winterbottom is gonna win it all!!

#149 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,563 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:33

<3 the look of the nissans

#150 alx346

alx346

• 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:43

The engines are short deck SBC [Ford deckheight] with canted valve heads. and 5.4 conrods.Like a Ford! Parity you see.
How you get that compared with a quad cam jap or euro engine is yet to be seen. Though reputedly Nissan are still way behind ATM

I was replying to the statement regarding the ls series engines and Chevy badges on everyday Commodore's mate..