* * * * * 1 votes

V8 Supercars - 2013 Season

• Please log in to reply
514 replies to this topic

#351 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,460 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 22:53

Are Ford leaving V8s at the end of 2013?

Auto Action (I think it was them) says hat Ford will withdraw from V8s at the end of teh season, having withdrawn suport from SBR and DJR last season, supporting FPR until the end of their current contract, which expres at the end of the year.

Rumours are that FPR are scouting other possible manufacturers for support. No mention of what DJR are doing it the part I skimmed.

Advertisement

#352 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,529 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:08

Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case - it's been expected for years...

What other manufacturer would come in though? Chrysler were apparently keen but baulked at the cost. Toyota? They were supposedly keen years ago but Holden and Ford weren't thrilled with the idea, so perhaps that ship has sailed and tbh I can't see any other Japanese brands jumping in. Korean - do Kia or Hyundai even have a V8 engine that would be eligible? European - Merc is there in an unofficial form but I can't see them drawing BMW etc into the fight anytime soon...

#353 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,460 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:14

Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case - it's been expected for years...

What other manufacturer would come in though? Chrysler were apparently keen but baulked at the cost. Toyota? They were supposedly keen years ago but Holden and Ford weren't thrilled with the idea, so perhaps that ship has sailed and tbh I can't see any other Japanese brands jumping in. Korean - do Kia or Hyundai even have a V8 engine that would be eligible? European - Merc is there in an unofficial form but I can't see them drawing BMW etc into the fight anytime soon...

Hyundai do have a V8. And it is in 4 door rear drive sedan.

http://cdn-www.rspor...erview-shot.jpg

FPR could become MPR:
http://www.auto-blog...ttroporte-5.jpg
http://images4.alpha.../283/283248.jpg
http://blog.twinciti...a14071-copy.jpg

Unlikely, I know.

I think the only other brand that would be remotely interested would be Jaguar. Though I'd love to see an Alfa-Romeo V8Supercar.

#354 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,460 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:24

I wonder if FPR could continue with Ford bodies but without Ford support? I don't think DJR have had Ford supprt for a while now, and they are just barely surviving.

#355 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,460 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:42

What a Jaguar V8Supercar might look like.

http://a6.idata.over...10.07.10_01.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.c...f-btcs-rend.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.c...-superstars.jpg
http://cdn-9.motorsp...961619/s1_1.jpg
http://www.carmk.net...21509234154.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphoto...201292397_n.jpg

Edited by Wuzak, 31 March 2013 - 08:59.

#356 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,529 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:48

Hyundai do have a V8. And it is in 4 door rear drive sedan.

http://cdn-www.rspor...erview-shot.jpg

That Hyundai looks a lot like the Nissan - I guess with that model they could be a chance...

FPR could become MPR:
http://www.auto-blog...ttroporte-5.jpg
http://images4.alpha.../283/283248.jpg
http://blog.twinciti...a14071-copy.jpg

Unlikely, I know.

I think the only other brand that would be remotely interested would be Jaguar. Though I'd love to see an Alfa-Romeo V8Supercar.

Not sure that V8Supercars would fit into Jaguar's marketing - same for Maserati - perhaps a bit 'low brow' for them?

I wonder if FPR could continue with Ford bodies but without Ford support? I don't think DJR have had Ford supprt for a while now, and they are just barely surviving.

Provided FPR have enough sponsorship then they probably could, whether they do or not I don't know...

#357 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,460 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 13:30

Not sure that V8Supercars would fit into Jaguar's marketing - same for Maserati - perhaps a bit 'low brow' for them?

"Low brow" for Maserati, perhaps, but not so much for Jaguar I would think. Since it appears they already race in a silouette toruing car series (Belgian). And there are Merc E-series in V8s, even if it is unofficial.

#358 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 13:41

Maybe SVG could go to NASCAR one day, he knows how to put on a show!

Would love to see this. :up:

Huge shame Ford is going to leave IMO. Is it a case of the beancounters win again?

#359 SR388

SR388

• 3,708 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:38

Just watched the race from Adelaide. Winterbottom should have won all of it. Car let him down.

Advertisement

#360 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 836 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:32

Huge shame Ford is going to leave IMO. Is it a case of the beancounters win again?

It's still speculation at this point though.

#361 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,529 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:15

"Low brow" for Maserati, perhaps, but not so much for Jaguar I would think. Since it appears they already race in a silouette toruing car series (Belgian). And there are Merc E-series in V8s, even if it is unofficial.

Yeah I know the Mercs are there but I thought that was due more to AMG Germany supporting a very good customer of theirs (Erebus) more than Mercedes Australia thinking that V8's were a good fit for their marketing image. I guess within Australia I don't see Jaguar's marketing image fitting in well with V8Supercars either but stranger things have happened... :)

#362 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,139 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:30

Just watched the Adelaide races... they weren't too bad, both started to heat up at the end... The restarts helped.

Interesting to see that heat resistant pad being put on a boot :p Nice ingenuity.

If ford leaves... that would cause a pretty decent sized gap in the field, but I'm sure they're just spreading that to get a better deal on some negotiations later or something haha

#363 BellisEndis

BellisEndis

• 123 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:31

Just watched the Adelaide races... they weren't too bad, both started to heat up at the end... The restarts helped.

Interesting to see that heat resistant pad being put on a boot :p Nice ingenuity.

If ford leaves... that would cause a pretty decent sized gap in the field, but I'm sure they're just spreading that to get a better deal on some negotiations later or something haha

If Ford leave it doesn't automatically mean the 6 ford cars won't continue in some form, it is not like all the holden teams get holden money..

#364 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,460 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:27

If Ford leave it doesn't automatically mean the 6 ford cars won't continue in some form, it is not like all the holden teams get holden money..

Ford cut off DJR a few years ago.

#365 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,529 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:09

Well Scott Pye just gave the new COTF a pretty severe crash test! :eek:

Video

Edited by krapmeister, 07 April 2013 - 07:48.

#366 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 757 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 22:12

Well Scott Pye just gave the new COTF a pretty severe crash test! :eek:

Good advert for HANS I reckon :clap:

#367 BellisEndis

BellisEndis

• 123 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 00:40

I wonder how Lee's Torana would of held up to such a crash...

#368 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,391 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:13

THat is a horrible crash, head on like that is the absolute worst with the possible exception of being t-boned.

OT: What tyre/wheel numbers are they running now and what did they run before? As in width mm/sidewall/rim

#369 b195

b195

• 465 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 15:01

THat is a horrible crash, head on like that is the absolute worst with the possible exception of being t-boned.

OT: What tyre/wheel numbers are they running now and what did they run before? As in width mm/sidewall/rim

According to the tech regs, 680 mm diameter for previous tyre, 305 mm bag width (I think, somewhat backed up by the width specs below not being 305). 11" x 17" wheel in 2012 vs 11" x 18" wheel in 2013. Pretty sure they kept diameter and width the same for 2013 tyres (Dunlop Motorsport Manager Kevin Fitzsimons says the change won't be very noticeable. "Cosmetically, you can't really tell the difference," he says. "The tread is still the same width, it's just missing half an inch out of the sidewall. It won't look a great deal different from what we have now.")

So in 2012 the sidewall was about 124 mm, now it's about 111 mm. So it has gone from a 29 section/profile tyre to 24 section/profile.

The following two tyres are among a group of circuit slick tyres listed on Dunlop's website, I assume they are the pre-2013 control tyre specs:
- 280/680R17 V8 SOFT SLICK NST
- 280/680R17 V8 SOFT SLICK ST

Regarding the crash, I think the hit Pye took was reduced (only slightly mind you) by the car not hitting level and square, with the tipping forward motion and rotating sideways motion taking a little of the sting out of the hit. I'm definitely not saying it made a huge amount of difference, but in that situation every little bit helps I'd say.

#370 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 836 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 16:01

Based on those numbers (305mm wide, 680mm tall), the old tyres wouldve been a 40 profile. 124/305=0.40656

The 18's would be about a 35 profile 111/305=0.3639

If 280 is the width though then you've got a 45 profile 17" and a 40 profile 18".

#371 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,391 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 18:48

Oh i can tell the difference right away, you don't need big changes in wheel/tyre to make a huge visual difference. I like th enew look, fits about right, any less sidewall and starts looking ricey, the old 17 inch wheel was just too small to the eye.

#372 b195

b195

• 465 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:07

Based on those numbers (305mm wide, 680mm tall), the old tyres wouldve been a 40 profile. 124/305=0.40656

The 18's would be about a 35 profile 111/305=0.3639

If 280 is the width though then you've got a 45 profile 17" and a 40 profile 18".

I thought I was too tired when I posted it, now I know :drunk: Ignore my profile percentages please...

Having found a close-up of a pre-2013 V8 Supercar tyre, the 280/680R17 figures are definitely correct for pre-2013 tyres. The 305 mm is listed as 305mm (maximum) in the regs, which may be the widest you are allowed to run the tyres using lower than standard/recommended pressures.

I have always assumed the first number in a tyre's description was tread width, but everywhere I read (at least for passenger car tyres) it is the "nominal section width" of the tyre in millimetres; the widest point from both outer edges (side wall to side wall). This 'nominal section width' is what I understood 'bag width' to be.

Then again, the dimensions listed for the racing tyre list its diameter in the place reserved for the profile for a road tyre, so maybe it's all different for racing tyres...

#373 b195

b195

• 465 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:40

I thought I was too tired when I posted it, now I know :drunk: Ignore my profile percentages please...

Having found a close-up of a pre-2013 V8 Supercar tyre, the 280/680R17 figures are definitely correct for pre-2013 tyres. The 305 mm is listed as 305mm (maximum) in the regs, which may be the widest you are allowed to run the tyres using lower than standard/recommended pressures.

I have always assumed the first number in a tyre's description was tread width, but everywhere I read (at least for passenger car tyres) it is the "nominal section width" of the tyre in millimetres; the widest point from both outer edges (side wall to side wall). This 'nominal section width' is what I understood 'bag width' to be.

Then again, the dimensions listed for the racing tyre list its diameter in the place reserved for the profile for a road tyre, so maybe it's all different for racing tyres...

BAM.. I mean Speedcafe have a video just up where Dunlop's Kevin Fitzsimons talks about the 2013 tyres. Tread width of the dry is 280mm and 300mm for the wet, while 305mm is the sidewall-to-sidewall dimension, and they are 680mm in diameter for the dry tyres, and 7mm more for the wets. So while a road tyre is listed as sidewall-to-sidewall then profile then wheel size, these racing tyres are listed as tread width then diameter then wheel size.

(re the wets, the pre-2013 wet is listed on the Dunlop site as 280/680R17 AVESCO WET TL - though I suspect it shares the same tread width and diameter changes that the 2013 wet does, so it further confuses the issue regarding labelling! ie it should be listed as 300/687 R17 and 300/687 R18 for the 2013 version)

#374 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,642 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:38

I watched about 10 laps of the Texas race. Track looks ok, TV showed about 6 cars in that 10 laps.

And Red Bull dominate again. In front of a very small crowd. Though it was Saturday.

Reading Speedcafe and on Friday they were practicing in the dry on wets!!! They would have learnt a lot there,,, NOT. What is wrong with using used hards from the last meeting like any sensible racer would do? And at least look professional in front of the Americans.

And they are complaining the drivers are hot and they need aircond! Open the damn window. make it the rule so no one has an adavatage. And put in a face vent. Elementary preparation!!

The time difference means it is not live, and Sundays race will be Monday Morning on Oz. The domestic market for the category and its sponsors. So why on earth go to the US? makes no sense to me.

Lets hope the Sunday crowd is bigger. Though watching Nascar their crowd was far from capacity either
The only o/s race that does make sense is NZ, which to an extent is part of Australia

#375 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 432 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:34

I watched both races, was entertaining enough....but. I dont think the v8s really work on that sort of track, their not really fast enough and the race was pretty tame.

#376 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,841 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:58

I thought there were some good duels through the switchback areas and the onboards were nice. The series can hardly help it that Whincup is winning everything at the moment. You can hardly expect an American crowd to have a big turnout for an almost exclusively Aussie/NZ field though. It's not like V8's get a lot of coverage on US TV. So I don't quite see the point, or what could justify the added expense?

#377 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,529 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 13:14

I only saw a few laps this morning but didn't look too exciting too me. As Sardukar said they don't really work on that sort of track - it's too vast and wide, and the cars not fast enough to overcome it. Hell, even F1 struggles sometimes to look 'fast' on tracks like that.

Don't really know what the point of it was apart from perhaps trying to big-up the international 'cred' of the series and/or help try and swing other manufacturers (Chrysler especially) on board?

#378 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,547 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 17:36

I only saw a few laps this morning but didn't look too exciting too me. As Sardukar said they don't really work on that sort of track - it's too vast and wide, and the cars not fast enough to overcome it. Hell, even F1 struggles sometimes to look 'fast' on tracks like that.

Don't really know what the point of it was apart from perhaps trying to big-up the international 'cred' of the series and/or help try and swing other manufacturers (Chrysler especially) on board?

They worked for a few years at Bahrain when the track was washed nightly and you had many lines. That was about 2006-08. Since then the racing has been dire on Tilke-tracks.

Edited by Jimisgod, 19 May 2013 - 17:36.

#379 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 20:01

Aren't there a couple more races today? One starting right now? I'm looking for a stream.

Advertisement

#380 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 20:10

Aren't there a couple more races today? One starting right now? I'm looking for a stream.

Found it! http://www.v8superca...004A/optional/1

Didn't realize they stream for free. Good stuff.

#381 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 638 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 20:41

safety car and they don't even show why... I think Premat had a problem cause he had a really slow lap but it's weird not to show anything

#382 S3baman

S3baman

• 2,153 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 20:48

I don't get it. Why don't they use the F1 full lenght track? Even when they were running at Abu Dhabi they ran on the shorter configuration. I was excited to see what the V8 could do down the back straight.

#383 S3baman

S3baman

• 2,153 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 20:51

:eek: :eek: :eek: 52.4C track temp!! Pirelli tires wouldn't even last the warm-up lap if the race was scheduled after the Canadian GP.

#384 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 22:09

I don't get it. Why don't they use the F1 full lenght track? Even when they were running at Abu Dhabi they ran on the shorter configuration. I was excited to see what the V8 could do down the back straight.

I think Bernie has a thing where he doesn't want other series to run on the exact same config as F1 does if they can help it.

#385 S3baman

S3baman

• 2,153 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 22:44

I think Bernie has a thing where he doesn't want other series to run on the exact same config as F1 does if they can help it.

There are a lot of series that run on the same circuit configuration: MotoGP, WSBK, WTCC, I think they don't want to have a very long lap timewise. If they would do the entire lap they would be well over 2 minutes.

#386 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,841 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 23:18

Guess they think it gives the crowd more of a show if they go past them more often?

#387 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,460 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:36

A big track like that, and in the US market, I would have thought an enduro would have been a good format. Like the Adelaide 500.

Or maybe a 800km (500 mile) race, with driver swaps and all. Have it on a weekend where NASCAR doesn't race (not many, I know) and try to get some NASCAR drivers involved.

Imagine Frosty & Marcos. Will & Keselowski. Whincup & Jimmie. Lowndes & Gordon.

#388 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 757 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:52

A big track like that, and in the US market, I would have thought an enduro would have been a good format. Like the Adelaide 500.

Or maybe a 800km (500 mile) race, with driver swaps and all. Have it on a weekend where NASCAR doesn't race (not many, I know) and try to get some NASCAR drivers involved.

The last thing they need is good ideas, that might make the event more attractive for both the domestic US market, and the casual/disinterested people at home./sarcasm off.

Good idea Wuzak.

I wonder if they will last out the contract period - three years? Anyone see any attendance/viewer figures? EDIT 68,000 it seems, over 3 days. That is not setting the world on fire, but not too shabby for a first race at a new venue.

Edited by GreenMachine, 20 May 2013 - 12:20.

#389 Snic

Snic

• 563 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:48

Didn't V8's ban guest drivers in the other enduro-races for this season?

Watching Mika Salo and Sebastien Bourdais go bumper-to-bumper last year at the Gold Coast was one of my favourite bits of the season :D The guest drivers have absolutely nothing to loose and drive like they're driving on the devils orders.. Throw in some Nascar style racecraft and then we're really talkin'

#390 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,529 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 13:08

The last thing they need is good ideas, that might make the event more attractive for both the domestic US market, and the casual/disinterested people at home./sarcasm off.

Good idea Wuzak.

I wonder if they will last out the contract period - three years? Anyone see any attendance/viewer figures? EDIT 68,000 it seems, over 3 days. That is not setting the world on fire, but not too shabby for a first race at a new venue.

I wonder how many of those are actual spectators?

#391 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,460 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 13:08

That's not much more than what they get in Tassie!

I do think that part of the probelm is not having any local talent. Or at least any high profile names.

#392 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,460 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 13:13

I don't know about that.

The last few years they have stopped the main team drivers from pairing up at Sandown and Bathurst, so they need "guest" drivers to fill that second chair. Unfortunately they tend not to be internationals, and are either up and comers, has beens or David Besnard.

Gold Coast is all about the international drivers. The only problem is it is the Gold Coast, and not Bathurst.

Watching Mika Salo and Sebastien Bourdais go bumper-to-bumper last year at the Gold Coast was one of my favourite bits of the season :D The guest drivers have absolutely nothing to loose and drive like they're driving on the devils orders.. Throw in some Nascar style racecraft and then we're really talkin'

International drivers are very good. Mostly they need time in the seat and they perform as well as the regulars.

#393 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,460 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 13:19

Good idea Wuzak.

I just looked at the NASCAR schedule - there is a break between New Hampshire (14 July) and Indianapolis (28 July) for this season. Would be, I think, the perfect time.

Add an extra day for guest drivers to familiarise themselves with the circuit. Or open up a couple of sessions for the Cup cars to get some testing in for Watkins Glen.

Main race would be a 800km enduro on the full COTA track. Min time for a driver - make it 40%.

#394 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,360 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 13:39

Watching Mika Salo and Sebastien Bourdais go bumper-to-bumper last year at the Gold Coast was one of my favourite bits of the season :D

Remember this year V8 Supercars are broke...

They (v8 supercars "international") were paying for all of the international drivers.

With the lack of a good tv deal and various other things the $$$ has dried up. Hence teams not getting a share of revenue, tyre allocations being reduced etc.

#395 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 18:14

I just looked at the NASCAR schedule - there is a break between New Hampshire (14 July) and Indianapolis (28 July) for this season. Would be, I think, the perfect time.

Add an extra day for guest drivers to familiarise themselves with the circuit. Or open up a couple of sessions for the Cup cars to get some testing in for Watkins Glen.

Main race would be a 800km enduro on the full COTA track. Min time for a driver - make it 40%.

Your ability to research and put forth a cogent plan means you've just put yourself completely out of the running as being hired to organize anything in top level racing.

The best you can hope for at this point is some hush-money.

#396 Snic

Snic

• 563 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 23:30

Your ability to research and put forth a cogent plan means you've just put yourself completely out of the running as being hired to organize anything in top level racing.

The best you can hope for at this point is some hush-money.

:lol:

#397 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,642 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 00:02

Good idea Wuzak.

68k is a Supercar crowd, they just counted everyone 3 times! Or more. Including the teams and support competitors. And officials.
Watching the bits I saw there was only a few thousand there in the stands and grassed areas. Crowd was better Sunday than Saturday though as would be expected.
And Aussie viewers got an unprogrammed Sat highlights late Sunday morning and Sunday race Monday morning. I watched most of the 2nd race at 7 45 to around 8 30. But I am self employed and a whole lot more flexible time wise!

As for Nascar competitors doing an enduro with Supercars not many would be any good. Even Marcus would have to get up to speed in those cars and he has won the title! Most well credentialed road racers have never done much good in those cars. The Qld experience proves that, and that is really a demonstration.
Might I add that most of the Supercar peddlers would be no good on ovals either.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 21 May 2013 - 00:03.

#398 GBarclay

GBarclay

• 163 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 18:21

I watched about 10 laps of the Texas race. Track looks ok, TV showed about 6 cars in that 10 laps.

And Red Bull dominate again. In front of a very small crowd. Though it was Saturday.

Reading Speedcafe and on Friday they were practicing in the dry on wets!!! They would have learnt a lot there,,, NOT. What is wrong with using used hards from the last meeting like any sensible racer would do? And at least look professional in front of the Americans.

And they are complaining the drivers are hot and they need aircond! Open the damn window. make it the rule so no one has an adavatage. And put in a face vent. Elementary preparation!!

The time difference means it is not live, and Sundays race will be Monday Morning on Oz. The domestic market for the category and its sponsors. So why on earth go to the US? makes no sense to me.

Lets hope the Sunday crowd is bigger. Though watching Nascar their crowd was far from capacity either
The only o/s race that does make sense is NZ, which to an extent is part of Australia

I have to assume you were not at the track. If you were you would know it was actually a very good turnout, but the reason it looked poor was that it was really hot by race time Saturday and Sunday, and the crowd was trying to find any shade possible. In some cases it meant they were sitting in the concourses watching the big screens. Or under the walkways, or bridges. A track facility issue, not a lack of crowds by any means.

I worked one of the support races and personally never saw any of the cars out on wets at anytime during the weekend. Certainly not the front running teams. In chatting with the many fans that came through the paddock, there was not a single bad word said about the V8's, most fans that knew a little about the series were extremely complimentary. The V8's looked as professional as any series I have worked with in the US, including CART, IRL, ALMS. The number of fans lining up for the pit walk was huge, not F1 huge, but big for a series making their first visit to the US.

The crews and drivers I spoke to were very happy to be in Texas, very happy with the reception they got, and happy with how enthusiastic the fans were - perhaps Speedcafe needs more accurate reporting. Sure it was hot, but no hotter than the series experiences racing in Oz.

The fans that attended were certainly not your typical Nascar fan, either they were locals (within a few hrs of Austin) and there to see racing, or they had travelled from out of state and were more the type of fan we encounter at ALMS races. Educated, high income fans.

From being at the event, talking to officials, drivers and crew from V8's, officials from the track, even the Governor of TX, this was a resounding success, and everyone hopes to return next year.

Running the International Circuit rather than the National Circuit would have made the racing boring, strung out the fields too much and made for a bit of a logistical nightmare both for officials and the fans. The National Course was a good choice for this weekend, although harder on brakes for our Porsches than the full circuit. Watching the V8's at full chat through the esses was quite the spectacle, though it sounds like it did not translate well on TV.

BTW, I know many Kiwi's would take offense at being labeled as an extended part of Oz.

Edited by GBarclay, 21 May 2013 - 18:23.

#399 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:33

[quote name='GBarclay' date='May 21 2013, 18:21' post='6275706']
I have to assume you were not at the track. If you were you would know it was actually a very good turnout, but the reason it looked poor was that it was really hot by race time Saturday and Sunday, and the crowd was trying to find any shade possible. In some cases it meant they were sitting in the concourses watching the big screens. Or under the walkways, or bridges. A track facility issue, not a lack of crowds by any means.

I worked one of the support races and personally never saw any of the cars out on wets at anytime during the weekend.

Would you have recognised the tyre for what it is if you'd have seen it?

Been well reported that they did in fact start off on wets - for no better reason that they needed to learn the circuit and a tightening of the tyre allowance deemed the wet a reasonable compromise to get cars out and circulating.
If it had subsequently rained making wet tyres necessary for racing, then that may have proven not to have been the best compromise.

Advertisement

#400 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,723 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:13

Well it's been on the cards for a while, but to hear it actually comes as a surprise still

http://www.abc.net.a...-plants/4707960