7 replies to this topic

#1 AnnieOz

AnnieOz

• 67 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:41

The current owner of the car is looking for more information on the following

BAE (Burwood Auto Electrical) - Sydney based constructor
Raced by Phillip DeLarue of Albury/Wodonga
Raced at Hume Weir prior to 1977 when it was sold to Allan Foster (South Australia)

Possible first configuration was a twin cylinder Honda motorbike engine either 350 or 450 cc
Then lengthened by 6 inches in the Wheel base and a 750 cc Honda was added
The history post 1977 is well documented

It is the pre 1977 activities of this car that is needed
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Ann Ozgo (on behalf of the owner)

Advertisement

#2 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:08

Hi Annie
Cant help much but can add a little: can confirm Brian Morrow of Burwood Auto Electrics(Sydney, BM's business) built this car, in part assisted by John Crouchley(see below), did run with Triumph twin later Honda( various). Painted same blue as BM's and JC's other cars I think, perhaps Bermuda Blue. I spoke to Phil Delarue at Hume Weir early 1970s, he much amused by the fact he had to pack his oversize driving suit with sponge rubber to lessen the dreaded vibrations from the m/cycle twin( see Demon Tweeks' Vincent-engined Cooper descriptions and drawings) -- so that at least he might be able to decipher blurred instruments. I think I saw the car once only at Hume Weir, perhaps Boxing Day 1973.
In more recent times John Crouchley became a cycling coach, official, and more: 0417 455408 info@strategiccoaching.com.au. A quick search revealed no Brian Morrow, but there is much more if you or the current vibrating BAE owner search John Crouchley on the 'net
Coincidentally at a party in Holbrook last week Wally Storey, Colin Bickley, and I were discussing these very entertaining characters. Colin's brother Elwyn still builds Elwyn F/Fords -- as he did for JCrouchley decades ago. Elwyn probably has had no contact for decades, but try him on 02 248216491(workshop)
In Albury phone book, P J De La Rue 6025 5145 -- no guarantees!

#3 AnnieOz

AnnieOz

• 67 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:54

Thanks John
Will pass the number on.
Happy New Year from us all. See you at Easter?

#4 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 20:07

Thanks, Annie. I hope to get to Adelaide this Easter-- 40 years after my first visit(!)

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:21

Have the Goulburn phone prefixes changed?'

Or has Elwyn deserted the colder climes?

Neither! I see you have stuck a second '2' there before the '4821' and therefore have 11 digits instead of the regulation 10.

#6 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,101 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:44

Hi Annie
Cant help much but can add a little: can confirm Brian Morrow of Burwood Auto Electrics(Sydney, BM's business) built this car, in part assisted by John Crouchley(see below), did run with Triumph twin later Honda( various). Painted same blue as BM's and JC's other cars I think, perhaps Bermuda Blue. I spoke to Phil Delarue at Hume Weir early 1970s, he much amused by the fact he had to pack his oversize driving suit with sponge rubber to lessen the dreaded vibrations from the m/cycle twin( see Demon Tweeks' Vincent-engined Cooper descriptions and drawings) -- so that at least he might be able to decipher blurred instruments. I think I saw the car once only at Hume Weir, perhaps Boxing Day 1973.
In more recent times John Crouchley became a cycling coach, official, and more: 0417 455408 info@strategiccoaching.com.au. A quick search revealed no Brian Morrow, but there is much more if you or the current vibrating BAE owner search John Crouchley on the 'net
Coincidentally at a party in Holbrook last week Wally Storey, Colin Bickley, and I were discussing these very entertaining characters. Colin's brother Elwyn still builds Elwyn F/Fords -- as he did for JCrouchley decades ago. Elwyn probably has had no contact for decades, but try him on 02 248216491(workshop)
In Albury phone book, P J De La Rue 6025 5145 -- no guarantees!

Elwyn's workshop number is 4821 7411.......the other is his home number.

#7 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 21:50

Found another BAE!
Stephen Fryer rang me last week, and in the course of the conversation of a BAE owned by his friend John Lawes "built by a bloke who lives at Taren Point"(ie John Crouchley
Annie, if your friends with the SA BAE need contact details, let me know

#8 AnnieOz

AnnieOz

• 67 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:09

Thank you. I have passed the message on and will get back to you
Cheers
Annie