The Williams FW35

• Please log in to reply
885 replies to this topic

#651 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,632 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 15:25

691 Williams employees

You wonder how such a big team can be doing such a poor job in F1.

In 2009 Williams barely had over 500 employees btw. They are clearly developing as a company.

Advertisement

#652 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,427 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 16:51

Isn't the flywheel KERS employing around 80 people?

#653 Bleu

Bleu

• 717 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 13:37

Blimey. Do you think they'll be giving out free samples to fans?

THE WILLIAMS F1 TEAM AND DOM PéRIGNON ANNOUNCE PARTNERSHIP AT THE BRITISH GRAND PRIX

26th June 2013. Grove, UK. The Williams F1 Team is pleased to announce that it will be launching a partnership with one of the world’s leading vintage Champagne brands, Dom Pérignon, at the upcoming British Grand Prix.

http://www.williamsf..._Grand_Prix.pdf

That confirms no podiums for the team for the remainder of the season (except possibility at Abu Dhabi). It would certainly be breach of contract if drivers take Mumm on the podium.

#654 Skett

Skett

• 31 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 18:48

That confirms no podiums for the team for the remainder of the season (except possibility at Abu Dhabi). It would certainly be breach of contract if drivers take Mumm on the podium.

Didn't Schumacher used to wear his sponsors cap on the podium? I'm sure taking different champagne up would be allowed if it happened.

Besides, isn't it just at the British gp?

#655 g1n

g1n

• 874 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 23:32

It confirms nothing, 1-they are just a sponsor of a team NOT event. 2-No one here knows any details of contracts in F1.

Edited by g1n, 27 June 2013 - 23:32.

#656 joora

joora

• 329 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:53

Too bad, still far from points...

#657 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 784 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 13:10

Don't think I'll be opening the Dom Pérignon just yet... :(

#658 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 16:03

So it's official - current car is much worse than 2011 one and Mike Coughlan is a flop.

Edited by Baddoer, 29 June 2013 - 16:03.

#659 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,557 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 17:28

So it's official - current car is much worse than 2011 one and Mike Coughlan is a flop.

Are you serious? The competition has tightened. The performance gap to the front has narrowed. If you don't believe me look at the stats. I don't think anyone who has designed a Championship winning car of 2007 can be described as a flop.

Advertisement

#660 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 17:46

Who are these people and this woman who were in the Williams box during FP2 atleast ?

Posted Image

Edit: Ah, it's Jodie Kidd.

Edited by Alburaq, 29 June 2013 - 18:04.

#661 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 18:53

designed a Championship winning car of 2007

What? :drunk:

Edited by Baddoer, 29 June 2013 - 18:54.

#662 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,557 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 19:01

What? :drunk:

Without the political decision to exclude the team from the championship. McLaren would be champions. One of the most obtuse judgements in the history of the sport. McLaren's car had no Ferrari IP and their drivers still retained their points. But you get the picture; Mosely's vendetta against Ron Dennis meant that McLaren were denied the constructors title.

Edited by Petroltorque, 29 June 2013 - 19:05.

#663 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,150 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 23:31

Are you serious? The competition has tightened. The performance gap to the front has narrowed. If you don't believe me look at the stats. I don't think anyone who has designed a Championship winning car of 2007 can be described as a flop.

Politics and other discussions aside, Coughlan -while having a chief designer role at McLaren- wasn't the specific designer of the 2007 McLaren MP4-22. That was Pat Fry.

#664 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,747 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:18

Politics and other discussions aside, Coughlan -while having a chief designer role at McLaren- wasn't the specific designer of the 2007 McLaren MP4-22. That was Pat Fry.

Coughlan was chief designer of mp4-22 and Fry was chief engineer.

#665 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,021 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:56

What does this have to do with Williams this year?

#666 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:55

Despite everything... Happy #Williams600 :clap:

Posted Image

#667 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,021 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:23

What a collection :clap:

Here's to the next 600 :up:

I hope Alain Prost isn't too miffed that his championship car has been left out. Jones', Rosberg's, Piquet's, Mansell's, Hill's and Villeneuve's are all there.

#668 michaelmyers

michaelmyers

• 63 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:10

Valtteri just said in an interview on MTV3 that because of a cockup his car was set 10mm lower than intended and that hurt his pace in qualifying. The worst news is that they can't correct it for the race. Expecting a lot of sparks in the beginning of the race.

#669 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,427 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:14

That is unbelieveable! What's happening with all these amateurish mistakes all across the grid nowadays?!

I thought Bottas looked really on the attack in FP3, and was starting to look how big the gaps were ahead, and if he could somehow get into Q3 again, but while that was never on, he should've been able to post a better lap. If his car was scraping already in Q, how on earth is he going to cope when the car is loaded with 150kgs more?
Fingers crossed for him.

#670 Topsu

Topsu

• 737 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:49

Isn't 10mm quite a lot? How can they mess that up, I've never heard of such thing happening!

#671 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,757 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:53

Valtteri just said in an interview on MTV3 that because of a cockup his car was set 10mm lower than intended and that hurt his pace in qualifying. The worst news is that they can't correct it for the race. Expecting a lot of sparks in the beginning of the race.

Depends if its the front, the back, or both.
If its just at the back, then it should be ok apart from performance, cause its just less "rake".

#672 michaelmyers

michaelmyers

• 63 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:57

Depends if its the front, the back, or both.
If its just at the back, then it should be ok apart from performance, cause its just less "rake".

Forgot to add that it is indeed the back of the car.
http://www.mtv3.fi/u...kava-saatovirhe

Edited by michaelmyers, 30 June 2013 - 11:58.

#673 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,557 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 14:40

What does this have to do with Williams this year?

It has everything to do with Williams if posters are suggesting that Coughlan is a 'flop'.

#674 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 784 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 00:00

A fairly anonymous race for Williams; didn't really see much from them but, as results go, 11th and 12th is ok. My hope is that it reflects actual progress and not flattering eefects of flukey racing incidents and safety cars.

#675 joora

joora

• 329 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 16:04

A fairly anonymous race for Williams; didn't really see much from them but, as results go, 11th and 12th is ok. My hope is that it reflects actual progress and not flattering eefects of flukey racing incidents and safety cars.

Well, since they ended the race behind a Sauber, the 11th and 12th surely aren't indicators of actual progress.

#676 Skett

Skett

• 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 22:44

Kinda has to be remembered that Vettel, Vergne and Perez all would have finished ahead of them if not for failures

#677 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 22:58

There will be points in Germany

#678 sopa

sopa

• 2,672 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 17:24

Williams is now almost like the Caterham and Marussia bunch - just waiting all season to have a race with enough attrition to get some lucky points.

#679 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 749 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 13:05

Before all of the safety cars, their pace at the start of the race was notably poor - 3 seconds off the pace and adrift of the midfield runners.

Advertisement

#680 hogstar

hogstar

• 181 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:34

Never really looked like getting out of Q1. I can't honestly see Williams getting a point this season as the car is fundamentally flawed. Is there any news on upgrades or have they already given up and working on the FW36?

#681 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 784 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 13:30

Never really looked like getting out of Q1. I can't honestly see Williams getting a point this season as the car is fundamentally flawed. Is there any news on upgrades or have they already given up and working on the FW36?

Today was grim.

They would almost do better to bring back last year's car and run that while focusing their efforts on next year's.

As for this year's car; perhaps they can melt it down to make souvenir ash trays or something :(

#682 joora

joora

• 329 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 16:42

It's such a shame they're celebrating their 600th GP start in this manner...

I think the most iportant thing now is determine where it's all going wrong. They have been bringing numerous updates on almost every track, and none of them managed to move them a bit further up the grid, not to mention putting drivers in point-scoring situations. So, either the trackside ppl aren't testing those updates properly or the factory is clueless what to do with the feedback they recieve. Either way, this is the worst year in the history of the team, and they aren't critically understaffed or under-financed, and they have a decent driver line-up. Heads should start rolling soon, if they want to survive.

#683 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,021 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 16:43

Painful. What's worst is that it's so close. 1.1s off pole and still out at Q1.

Or maybe that's cause for some proper Williams optimism. There's not that much time that needs to be found, at least in qualy.

#684 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,753 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 17:38

Today was grim.

They would almost do better to bring back last year's car and run that while focusing their efforts on next year's.

As for this year's car; perhaps they can melt it down to make souvenir ash trays or something :(

If they can't fix this year's errors, how can they focus on next year's car. They'll make the same mistakes. That's the reason why they haven't brought back last year's car.

#685 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,395 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 21:14

Bring back ToTo Wolf... :up:

#686 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 784 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:25

If they can't fix this year's errors, how can they focus on next year's car. They'll make the same mistakes. That's the reason why they haven't brought back last year's car.

Well, you may be right, but given the extensive nature of the changes for next year its likely a redesign as opposed to a reworking will be needed.

Better to start the redesign now and stop worrying about the designs dictated by the current rules.

(besides, I wasn't being serious but was attempting to make a joke :) )

Edited by Lord Snooty, 07 July 2013 - 11:27.

#687 SamH123

SamH123

• 1,146 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:28

Painful. What's worst is that it's so close. 1.1s off pole and still out at Q1.

Or maybe that's cause for some proper Williams optimism. There's not that much time that needs to be found, at least in qualy.

They were 2.3s off pole, but yeah in Q1 only 1.1s behind the Ferrari's which isn't huge I suppose

#688 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,021 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:31

They were 2.3s off pole, but yeah in Q1 only 1.1s behind the Ferrari's which isn't huge I suppose

Yeah Oops. 1.1 off the pace in Q1. They're just scraping the back end of the "old teams" and it wouldn't take much to get into a regular points scoring position. At least they're not dropping into the zone of the "new teams".

#689 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 13:48

Nah.

#690 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 784 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 23:17

Today was grim.

Having adopted the correct strategy (start on mediums and go long) and been gifted track position by the safety car, it was all thrown away in the pits.

Possibly the best chance of points this season lost.

Like I said last week, write this season off, focus on next year.

#691 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:39

Too early to give up. One lucky race and Williams could be ahead of Sauber in the WCC.

#692 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,632 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:24

And repeat the same mistakes again. :evil:

#693 Supertourer

Supertourer

• 22 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:30

Today was grim.

Having adopted the correct strategy (start on mediums and go long) and been gifted track position by the safety car, it was all thrown away in the pits.

Possibly the best chance of points this season lost.

Problem is that Williams is always going to do better 'next year', we heard all this when they agreed the Renault deal that was supposed to dramatically improve their performance.

Sad to see as I've been a Williams fan since Keke's days, but there is something fundamentally missing at Williams that they can't recapture.

#694 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,488 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:57

Sad to see as I've been a Williams fan since Keke's days, but there is something fundamentally missing at Williams that they can't recapture.

That would be a very interesting topic to discuss...

#695 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 784 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 15:22

And repeat the same mistakes again. :evil:

:(

Well, you would hope not but recent history is not encouraging.

#696 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,541 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 15:38

I don't think Williams can afford to risk scoring potentially zero points. The lucky race seahawk alluded to may also work against the team, and drop them to 10th or even last. That said, they're much more likely to score the odd point in a normal race than Marussia or Caterham.

#697 joora

joora

• 329 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 17:21

Problem is that Williams is always going to do better 'next year', we heard all this when they agreed the Renault deal that was supposed to dramatically improve their performance.

Well, at least they are fully aware that engine isn't the prolem, since they have the same power unit as WCC leaders. Their aero department obviously isn't up to the task, or they have fundamental problem with air tunnel calibration/data.

And I'm not too confident that Pujolar is up to the level of managing the trackside operation.

It's really the time for williams to start throwing money at people which might help them sort their problems.

#698 g1n

g1n

• 874 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 18:00

Yes, a certain mister Newey.

#699 Hans V

Hans V

• 321 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 18:03

That would be a very interesting topic to discuss...

I agree. Does anybody know anything about the organiszational structure at Williams? It seems very vulnerable, not least given the impact of Gillans presence and absence,

Advertisement

#700 hogstar

hogstar

• 181 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 19:02

Yes, a certain mister Newey.

It's a bit too easy to cite Newey for their decline - or at least to the extent of how Williams are now. Losing Newey was a major blow, but with a degree of hindsight. I think there was/is a certain amount of complacency at Williams and I don't think anyone who was at the organisation in say 2000, would believe they would ever be a low as there are now. F1 has had many great designers, but I can't remember any which have had such a long period of success as Newey, so that is why he probably wasn't considered as much as a loss as we look at now. Other teams from Yesteryear are still doing well, so even a Neweyless Williams shouldn't be in the situation they are in now.

What worries me is that if Williams did manage to get a crack designer or aero man, they are not big enough to keep them, hence the team becomes at best, perennial midfield runners. The current team doesn't seem to know how to make the FW35 competitive, so how does that breed confidence that they will know what to do with the future FW36? If the Mercedes engine is successful, it may only hide some of the flaws.

Whether it is lack of quality personnel, structure, organisation, money I have no idea, but I believe someone needs to be brought in to look at the whole organisation and act accordingly. Where is Alan Jones...? :)