* * * * - 4 votes

The Williams FW35

• Please log in to reply
885 replies to this topic

#751 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,349 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:54

If Symonds was that good, Alonso would lure him to Ferrari.

Alonso wanted him at Ferrari...

Edited by Francesc, 28 July 2013 - 09:54.

Advertisement

#752 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:02

Late is better than never :)

#753 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:11

Finally some points. Lets hope it will get better with each race and that they will manage to overtake sauber. A good drive from maldonado, seems that without the blown nuts he feels more comfortable with the car

#754 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,787 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:13

Points, yeah, those things that never happen. :D

As Maldonado was in 11th, I was thinking that there's only one way to get into the points now, and thats if somebody's car breaks down.
Moments later, bad news for Rosberg.

#755 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 793 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:47

Well, that's much better; reasonable pace, a mature drive and no pit lane dramas (or at least, none that I saw). More please...

#756 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,795 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 15:05

Never imagined I would be celebrating a solitary point halfway in but thank heavens! :clap:

#757 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:50

Well one is better than zero. That said, I hope the team can make more progress in the 2nd half of the season.

I always think of Jordan in 1998 in a situation like this. They failed to score a point in the first half of the season, then climbed to 4th and got a win in the second half. The field is far too competitive for that kind of transformation this year, but it's something to think about.

#758 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 793 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 14:26

Bit quiet in here these days ....... :(

#759 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,883 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 15:15

The new tyres will help Williams move ahead of Sauber and perhaps Toro Rosso I think. Plenty of races left to score some good points.

Advertisement

#760 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 16:27

As they say: no news is good news!

Not much usually happens at this time of the year. The story of the week is probably that Williams are reportedly considering a Russian driver for 2014. I hope current driver line-up stays for next year, maybe a proper 3rd driver would be welcome.

#761 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 17:56

As they say: no news is good news!

Not much usually happens at this time of the year. The story of the week is probably that Williams are reportedly considering a Russian driver for 2014. I hope current driver line-up stays for next year, maybe a proper 3rd driver would be welcome.

What's wrong with Susie? :)

#762 handel

handel

• 416 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 18:26

What's wrong with Susie? :)

Good as she did in the test, I don't think she even has her super license yet, and your third driver needs to be able to race if the time comes.

#763 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 20:17

That's it. It's good to have a talented young driver, who can take a race seat when one of current drivers is gone. Not only in perspective of one race, but of the whole season.

#764 handel

handel

• 416 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:57

And right on cue... Williams are trying to find a 3rd Driver
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/109245

#765 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,811 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:59

And right on cue... Williams are trying to find a 3rd Driver
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/109245

Frijns?
*fingers crossed*

#766 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 793 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 17:22

Frijns?
*fingers crossed*

That would be good; the article mentions Juncadella who also did well, I think, at the test. Anyone know more about him than can be gleaned from google searches? Is he a real prospect?

#767 g1n

g1n

• 874 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 22:33

Frijns?
*fingers crossed*

He ran out of money...

#768 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:07

That would be good; the article mentions Juncadella who also did well, I think, at the test. Anyone know more about him than can be gleaned from google searches? Is he a real prospect?

Juncadella? I hope Williams are looking at better prospects. Both Juncadella and Mehri had success in Euro F3 because they had the best equipment. None of them made a step up to step up to a spec formula. Circulating in DTM tells us nothing.

#769 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:17

Juncadella is there because he is backed by TAK Group, and TAK Group has a sponsorship deal with Williams to promote Astana.

I don't know if they treat him serious when it comes to a possible race seat in the future. Maybe yes, maybe not. I don't think he is as big talent, as, let's say: Bottas, but maybe he will prove himself as a test driver, impresses engineers and get his chance.

#770 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:46

Juncadella is there because he is backed by TAK Group, and TAK Group has a sponsorship deal with Williams to promote Astana.

I don't know if they treat him serious when it comes to a possible race seat in the future. Maybe yes, maybe not. I don't think he is as big talent, as, let's say: Bottas, but maybe he will prove himself as a test driver, impresses engineers and get his chance.

Maybe they want to secure a larger deal with TAK group. PDVSA money is valid two more years, and after that Williams will basically be unsustainable. I wonder how much longer is randstad contract valid?

I reckon they will have to find a large backing, and so far all the negotiations with Quatar sponsors failed. I doubt they will gain much more sponsors with Bottass, and I think they are keen in keeping him as long as possible. So the other driver will have to provide a hefty backing (like Pastor is currently providing it). On the other side, if they get another Nakajima, it will ruin their WCC ambitions.

But good drivers with even better backing are hard to find nowadays. Pastor proved to be a good pick (they could've ended with Guitterezz), Perez also isn't bad, but that's about it.

I can see a red-livery williams with golden stars in 2016. :)

#771 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,883 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 13:10

They should try to get Kobayashi and lure Panasonic back into F1 with that. That way, they have both a solid points scoring driver and a title sponsor.

Edited by DutchQuicksilver, 18 August 2013 - 13:11.

#772 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 18:18

They should try to get Kobayashi and lure Panasonic back into F1 with that. That way, they have both a solid points scoring driver and a title sponsor.

If it would be that easy, someone would've already done it.

#773 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:39

Doubt that would work. Maybe they could try to get a deal with Honda for engine supply if they take Kobayashi. Although Kobayashi is an ex-Toyota guy, he's Japanese, so that's the only ting that should matter in the equation.

#774 danmills

danmills

• 185 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:43

They already have Mercedes for 2014.

Maybe get Hulk back there? Hulk/Bottas

Though they need Maldonado's cash, which I suspect is heading to Lotus?

Any more on the Saudi link?

#775 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:32

Does anyone know whether PDVSA will still be providing such a large budget for Maldonado's seat. I mean Maldonado's could get a mid field seat with a budget of $10 million.

#776 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:48

Though they need Maldonado's cash, which I suspect is heading to Lotus?

I'm sure Maldonado and PDVSA will still be at Williams at 2014. Williams' sources claim there's no way out of the contract, Maldonado says in all recent inverviews that he wants to stay, and I've read an information from inside the team that he is actually staying with the team for 2014.

Does anyone know whether PDVSA will still be providing such a large budget for Maldonado's seat. I mean Maldonado's could get a mid field seat with a budget of $10 million.

It was not that easy. I've read Maldonado-PDVSA deal was offered to several teams but Williams was the only one ready to negotiate. The other teams didn't want Chavez link. I think it's the logical explanation of why the deal is worth so much. Venezuelans were under pressure in this situation, if they wanted to have their driver in F1, they needed to come with a good deal.
It's a 5-years deal (it expires after 2015) so there's no way they will be prodiving less budget unless they break their current contract. If they break it, they will not be credible for other teams so it still doesn't help much.

Edited by Anderis, 19 August 2013 - 11:49.

#777 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:03

They already have Mercedes for 2014.

I know, I was talkink about after 2015, when the deal with PDSVA ends

#778 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:11

Mercedes deal ends after 2016, by 2017 so much can change that I have no idea.

#779 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 365 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 13:53

Poor result again. Seemed like they had a bit of pace at times but it didn't come to fruition.

That shot of Frank wheeling away looking depressed was awful...

Advertisement

#780 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,748 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 13:56

As always, I'm a big Senna-fan, and I guess he and JV is the only drivers I struggle to stay neutral with. Anyway, I cannot see how Bottas have done so immensely much better than Senna, not when Bottas had that much Fridays last year and have had full weekends all the way this year.

#781 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 17:32

Bottas has outqualified Maldonado 6 out of 12 times so far. Senna has never outqualified Maldonado in a straight battle, beat him just once after Pastor crashed in Canada, and another one when he had a technical issue (Bahrain AFAIR).

Bottas makes less mistakes than Bruno. I struggle to recall any serious one, while Bruno had at least two drive-throughs last year for causing collisions, spun in some important moments, like in British GP or 1st lap of Malaysian GP and sometimes in qualifying etc.

He never has those off-days when he is a full second slower than his team-mate or so, as it sometimes happened to Bruno last year.

And finally, he is a rookie and I'm sure he will be even better next year.

#782 nosecone

nosecone

• 790 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 20:51

sorry admins, but searching 15min for the team financials thread was to much and i still haven't found it.

Thus i post it here:

Half year figures of the Williams Grand Prix Holding:

Overall

sales 68,4m€  (57,7m pounds)     (2012: 77m € / 64,9 pounds)

Williams Advanced Engineering:

Sales:                                                         11,2 m pounds (-50%)

Ebit(Earnings before interests and taxes):         4,5 m pounds (+20%)

Williams F1 team :

sales: 43,5m pounds (almost same 2012)

ebit:      5,6m pounds (4,6m pounds 2012)

really interesting is the reduction of sales at Williams Advanced Engineering while the Earnings rise!

source: http://www.motorspor...s-13090903.html

don't mix up Euro and Pounds. Mind that pounds are in parenthesis at the overall figures

Nice to see Williams making profit despite the missing pace of their F1 cars. But imagine there wasn't PDVSA

Edited by nosecone, 09 September 2013 - 21:01.

#783 Spillage

Spillage

• 915 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:39

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here's a hypothetical question: say Raikkonen joins Ferrari and Maldonado heads to Lotus as rumoured, who is likely to replace him at Williams? Suppose it would have to be someone with cash, could it be guys like Pic or Bianchi? Or, given the team's recent history at blooding in new rookies and the forthcoming links with Mercedes, could they take on Sam Bird?

As I say, sorry if this is not the right thread and the hypothetical nature of my musings.  :wave:

#784 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:14

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here's a hypothetical question: say Raikkonen joins Ferrari and Maldonado heads to Lotus as rumoured, who is likely to replace him at Williams? Suppose it would have to be someone with cash, could it be guys like Pic or Bianchi? Or, given the team's recent history at blooding in new rookies and the forthcoming links with Mercedes, could they take on Sam Bird?

As I say, sorry if this is not the right thread and the hypothetical nature of my musings.  :wave:

There really is no evidence that Maldonado is Leaving Williams.

#785 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 14:52

This car is slow everywhere, on every track. I would say it was a huge leap from last year, but in the opposite direction. Really hope the team can put a decent car together for the next season.

#786 Skett

Skett

• 33 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:16

This car is slow everywhere, on every track. I would say it was a huge leap from last year, but in the opposite direction. Really hope the team can put a decent car together for the next season.

Well as far as I can tell the rear end philosophy and coanda exhausts don't really go together too well, or at least Williams have struggled to make the coanda exhausts work. So hopefully with them gone again next season they should be more competitive

#787 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:39

The only good thing about this season being a Williams fan is that I don't have to justify to my wife and kids why I want to spend 1.5 hours watching a GP.

I hope to hell that they find out what went wrong with this car otherwise next year won't be any better

#788 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:58

The only good thing about this season being a Williams fan is that I don't have to justify to my wife and kids why I want to spend 1.5 hours watching a GP.

I hope to hell that they find out what went wrong with this car otherwise next year won't be any better

They have supposedly ditched sidepods and exhaust upgrades (developed, but too expensive to make compared to gains), and will likely run only upgraded wing and floor in Korea.

I really hope that they have an ace in their sleeves for the next years regulation change, and that they will use it better than it was the the case with the double diffuser

#789 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 13:29

I've read in F1 Racing that Symonds has recognised some weakness in design department.

That is going to be solved, but whatever they do, 2014 car is being developed from a long time under flawed design department, so that doesn't bode too well for next year. Surely they can solve problems before 2015, but they were run out of time to make needed changes for 2014 and they can only luck with a good car for next year, IMO.

Well, they did good job with FW34 in simillar circumstances. So there is some hope. But I wouldn't have too big expectations for 2014.

#790 Supertourer

Supertourer

• 36 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 17:20

Been a Williams fans since the Keke days, hope that PS can make a difference, getting tired of hearing it will be better next year!

#791 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 19:38

Great start for maldo today, but unlucky with the safety cars. Was sad seeing him loose 4 positions in 3 corners.

This season williams ain't going nowhere upward in the WCC standings. Sauber managed to improve the car, while team Willy is standing still. Let's truly hope they will manage to put together a decent car next year, and that there won't be a freak race where Caterham or Marussia would get more than 1 point.

#792 Skett

Skett

• 33 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 00:31

Well to be fair I think he may still have had a chance at a point (though unlikely) if Gutierrez hadn't forced his way through like that. Making a move like that when there are people behind you is just dumb, it pretty much ruined both of their chances at points

#793 Hans V

Hans V

• 354 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:16

Great start for maldo today, but unlucky with the safety cars. Was sad seeing him loose 4 positions in 3 corners.

Me too, but I seem to recall this have happend  to Maldonado many times. He races hard only to loose out. I'm not sure Maldonado has the spare brainpower (to use drivercoach Rob Wilsons expression, from The racers Edge podcasts) to plan two or three corners ahead. 

#794 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,026 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 15:27

Pastor Maldonado: staying 'at home' preferable to 2013 F1 repeat

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/110430

Can't say I blame the guy. Last year he showed an excellent turn of speed when he wasn't smashing into everyone and everything. This year he has calmed that down (barring Spa) but the car is an absolute dog.

Was the FW34 at the end of its 'development' life like last years Mclaren and therefore was not viable to use in 2013 (with season compliance modifications)?

One must wonder - 'where and HOW did it all go wrong? (AGAIN)???

#795 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,748 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 16:26

When I read that, I just thought "No money, no drive - return Barrichello or Senna".

#796 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 17:08

Was the FW34 at the end of its 'development' life like last years Mclaren and therefore was not viable to use in 2013 (with season compliance modifications)?

AFAIK, FW34 didn't use Coanda effect. Williams thought they could do even better than last year with the car built to maximise this effect. Sadly, they failed big time to make it work and compromised other parts of the car.

#797 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,349 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 17:22

I think it's very likely that next year Williams will have Petrov driving for them. I don't know if replacing Maldonado or Bottas, that depends on PDVSA.

#798 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,811 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 17:24

Maldonado is paid, isn't he?
As if the team wanted this.

Maybe he should remind himself of Button at BAR/Honda and eventually BrawnGP.

#799 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,748 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 17:47

I think it's very likely that next year Williams will have Petrov driving for them. I don't know if replacing Maldonado or Bottas, that depends on PDVSA.

Is it likely that Petrov comes with more money than a Brazilian driver?

Advertisement

#800 Supertourer

Supertourer

• 36 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 20:48

Paid in that he gets paid out of the money he brings from PDVSA, in the old days that was called commission!