47 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 14:41

Bad news for those attending races:

Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1
Bad day for F1 fans who go to races - @FanVisionF1 will not be around next year after it could not agree terms with FOM. Full story soon
2:35 PM - 10 Jan 13 ·

Advertisement

#2 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,265 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 14:50

Another Piss Poor FOM Performance
Posted Image

Jp

#3 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 15:03

****.. This will actually affect if I decide to go to a race or not now after being used to it.

#4 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 15:06

Another Piss Poor FOM Performance

Little premature with blaming FOM aren't we Jp?
We don't know the facts and where 2 companies can't reach an agreement the blame doesn't automatically go to the one you like least.

Anyway it's all early days the same company in an earlier stage (Kangaroo TV) had a problem at Le Mans with Radio Le Mans.
Couldn't reach an agreement about using their commentary which had all English only fans in a frenzy only for things to be resolved last minute.
Let's see if they can sort out a deal in the weeks to come.

#5 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,484 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 15:10

This is a joke right? I went to both Spa and Silverstone last year but if this is the case I won't be going to any races this year.

Big shame.

#6 fullthrottle

fullthrottle

• 489 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 15:29

This is a joke right? I went to both Spa and Silverstone last year but if this is the case I won't be going to any races this year.

Big shame.

Same here ):

#7 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 15:38

I think (hope) FOM is going to adopt this to the smartphone market by setting up powerfull WiFi systems on the circuits that you get the information from straight to your smart phone and an special app.

#8 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 15:54

Bernie trying to take more money from the sport in exchange of fan conveniences. Why would I be surprised?

#9 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,455 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 16:05

I think (hope) FOM is going to adopt this to the smartphone market by setting up powerfull WiFi systems on the circuits that you get the information from straight to your smart phone and an special app.

And at a special price.

#10 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 16:09

This.

We live in 2013. People on iPads and phones with big displays. There are no reason why Fanvision cant be replaced by an app. But again, Bernie is Bernie so his logic is rarely applied for the good of fans.

#11 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 16:11

Bit of a downer for people who shelled out and bought the unit.

#12 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 16:48

Not good. I've been to grand prix for the past two years and was intending on doing the same this year, but this might actually make me think twice, or at least reconsider the venue. Why do I get the feeling Ecclestone is behind this...

#13 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 16:59

): Very disappointed. Most of the time you know what's going on in a race, but there's often things you miss if you can't hear the commentary.

Yeah there is circuit commentary, which is completely drowned out by the sound of the F1 cars.....

Edited by nugat, 10 January 2013 - 17:00.

#14 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:07

Pretty poor show from FOM. Never used fan vision but did invest in the original kangaroo tv a few years ago and it is a cracking little device. FOM come across as being extremely blind and ignorant to the fans and improving the show for them. I understand the need for it too make $en$e but i find it hard to believe FOM would be much worse off if they allowed fan vision.

#15 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,265 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:49

Little premature with blaming FOM aren't we Jp?

Are we?

We don't know the facts and where 2 companies can't reach an agreement the blame doesn't automatically go to the one you like least.

Who says I don't Posted Image FOM?

As a keen follower and sometime active participant in the world of broadcasting I have been enthralled with the cutting edge development, deployment and dissemination from the broadcast arm of the company. Having had friends and colleagues who worked for them in their formative years the stories I heard were absolute classics. The rest of the company I have no experience of so cannot pass judgement other than....knowing their cut from Fanvision was not in keeping with you know who's business model.

But I should not let that colour my opinion..I agree.
Jp

#16 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 18:14

My friend works for Bernie, he told me all the cool stories. Absolute classics.

#17 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,265 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 18:20

are you mocking me my dear friend?
Jp

#18 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 18:25

Fanvision/Kangaroo sets were pretty much essential when going to the track. Its a really disappointing decision I can only guess that greed (sorry I mean business) was the biggest factor. If they do develop a live app for folk to use over their smartphones then for most folk it'll only have limited usage due to battery usage. I mean I have an HTC and I only have to look at it and half the power drains out of the damn thing.

Edited by Les, 10 January 2013 - 18:26.

#19 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 22:36

are you mocking me my dear friend?

I hope so, you deserve it. ;)

Stop speaking in riddles and give people some facts, if you don't have those don't imply it, it irks folk so it seems.

Kangaroo/Fanvision is hardly the stablest company and they have had trouble with securing proper coverage before.
Let parties play out their negotiations and if Fanvision isn't the company to supply timing services at the track anymore there surely will be a replacement in due course.

@those who want to cancel their GP visit because of no Fanvision:

You guys are nuts, Fanvision is by no means essential when attending a GP. As a semi old fart I've been to dozens of races without a little device that kept me up to date of all that's happening and had a great time.

Advertisement

#20 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 22:49

Yes you can have a good time without one, but you have a better time with one.

It's hard to judge until you've actually done it. I was sceptical the first time I used one too, but it really turned it into the complete experience, the best of both worlds.

They were very, very expensive though.

#21 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 22:57

Yes you can have a good time without one, but you have a better time with one.

It's hard to judge until you've actually done it. I was sceptical the first time I used one too, but it really turned it into the complete experience, the best of both worlds.

I know and hope they find a way to have those devices at the races this year anyway.

But not going to a GP because there are no Fanvision devices is laughable.
Those people are no F1 fans in my opinion.

#22 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,265 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 22:58

I hope so, you deserve it.;)
Stop speaking in riddles and give people some facts, if you don't have those don't imply it, it irks folk so it seems.

What facts would you like to hear?
Jp

#23 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:14

What facts would you like to hear?
Jp

Maybe you could give us any facts why this particular sad episode is to blame on FOM only in your opinion?
Or could it perhaps be that Fanvision aka KangarooTV has something to do with it too?

#24 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:22

****.. This will actually affect if I decide to go to a race or not now after being used to it.

Ditto.

I bought my as-new G3 off ebay in early 2011 for about 50 bucks! It was a US unit owned by a Philapelphia Eagles fan who'd moved cities and could no longer get to games, so I got a bargain there. Even better was the fact the lovely people at Fanvision enabled the F1 software at Albert Park for free in 2011 - and updated it last year for free again! :)

Now, it's an electonic paperweight. Like a Motorola brick.

Not really. :p

Edited by NotSoSilentBob, 10 January 2013 - 23:31.

#25 rsaca

rsaca

• 352 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:35

This.

We live in 2013. People on iPads and phones with big displays. There are no reason why Fanvision cant be replaced by an app. But again, Bernie is Bernie so his logic is rarely applied for the good of fans.

:up: This.

I don't get how Formula 1 still lives on the 20th century, where sports like the NFL allow people from all over the world to pay for a season pass to watch every game on their TVs, iPads or iPhones!!!!

#26 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:45

I don't get how Formula 1 still lives on the 20th century, where sports like the NFL allow people from all over the world to pay for a season pass to watch every game on their TVs, iPads or iPhones!!!!

Sigh another one :(

NFL is a mostly local thingy were F1 is global and the broadcasting rights are sold per country/territory
If you want to watch F1 on your "TVs, iPads or iPhones!!!!" then get in touch with your local F1 rights holder and please whine there.

That you don't understand F1's business model is not Bernie's concern nor is it pertinent to this thread about Fanvision (or no Fanvision)

#27 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:54

:up: This.

It isn't that simple though, it works large scale because the spread of users is quite large. Not many people using up bandwidth per node (tower). At a GP you have a very large concentration, 10's of thousands in a small area, all requiring a large chunk of bandwidth. They would not be able to utilise already existing GSM infrastructure, they would have to provide their own wireless network on site, which then requires authentication, and users to be somewhat savvy in regards to connecting their devices etc. Support would be a nightmare as well.
I doubt bernie is trying to take this on himself, and if he is, it would require separate hardware.

Edited by lbennie, 11 January 2013 - 00:01.

#28 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:56

I bought my as-new G3 off ebay in early 2011 for about 50 bucks!

Bargain indeed. :) Think we paid 70 euro or so for a weekend's usage at Monaco! Nurburgring was cheaper though.

I do feel sorry for the peeps with expensive paperweights thanks to this.

#29 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:59

It isn't that simple though, it works large scale because the spread of users is quite large. Not many people using up bandwidth per node (tower). At a GP you have a very large concentration, 10's of thousands in a small area, all requiring a large chunk of bandwidth. They would not be able to utilise already existing GSM infrastructure, they would have to provide their own wireless network on site, which then requires authentication, and users to be somewhat savvy in regards to connecting their devices etc. Support would be a nightmare as well.
I doubt bernie is trying to take this on himself, and if he is, it would require separate hardware.

This is a really good point actually. Monaco 2011 the mobile network really struggled over the weekend. Lots of people complained about it. So even the existing networks can be swamped.

#30 zepunishment

zepunishment

• 603 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:06

This is a really good point actually. Monaco 2011 the mobile network really struggled over the weekend. Lots of people complained about it. So even the existing networks can be swamped.

Silverstone '11 was the same, especially on raceday.

#31 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:38

so will FOM return me my money for buying the damn unit in the first place? damn bloody idiots!

#32 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 1,201 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:32

Personally I never saw the appeal of them, I found it better to soak up the action whilst at a GP rather than staring at a screen. If you missed a small detail or two you can always watch a replay later.

#33 RobertoLarcos

RobertoLarcos

• 50 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:21

I found it better to soak up the action whilst at a GP rather than staring at a screen.

Having a Fanvision set doesn't stop you soaking up the action though.

It can be very difficult to follow the action when attending a GP, as many circuits have dreadful PA systems and poor quality TV screens - especially the Asian circuits. With safety cars, rain etc you can easily lose track of what's happening in the race.

What I liked most about Fanvision was the option to have the BBC/Sky commentary (way better than the track announcer) and the fact that you weren't restricted to only spectating from areas that had a TV screen. Some good spots for action and overtaking don't have big screens (such as turn 7 at Singapore and turn 3 at Melbourne).

I bought a Fanvision unit outright at the start of 2011 and have used it at eight races since then. I thought it greatly improved my experience as a fan.

Everyone I know that has used one agreed that it enhanced their GP weekend. Even team personnel and journalists use them.

Ridiculous decision from FOM :down:

#34 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:37

This.

Using ipads/iphones/blackberries at GP's - Pain in the A.. too many people using, service no good and continually drops out - not to mention the crappy batteries on these things!

I used fanvision for the first ttme last year - whilst I did like it (cheap, I met some lady who is high up there so got it for free ) I did find that it distracted me from watching the cars, and it wasn't fun for friend who didn't have one and trying to talk about what was happening was a pain. I didn't intend getting one for the next race anyway.

robert Larcos - the two Asian races I've been to (Malaysia and Singapore) had great screens btw

Edited by Raelene, 11 January 2013 - 07:43.

#35 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:06

Having a Fanvision set doesn't stop you soaking up the action though.

It can be very difficult to follow the action when attending a GP, as many circuits have dreadful PA systems and poor quality TV screens - especially the Asian circuits. With safety cars, rain etc you can easily lose track of what's happening in the race.

What I liked most about Fanvision was the option to have the BBC/Sky commentary (way better than the track announcer) and the fact that you weren't restricted to only spectating from areas that had a TV screen. Some good spots for action and overtaking don't have big screens (such as turn 7 at Singapore and turn 3 at Melbourne).

I bought a Fanvision unit outright at the start of 2011 and have used it at eight races since then. I thought it greatly improved my experience as a fan.

Everyone I know that has used one agreed that it enhanced their GP weekend. Even team personnel and journalists use them.

I am exactly in the same situation as you :(

Raelene,

Poor signal at GPs is absolutely true as well!

#36 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:12

I like following the races on twitter - F1pitradio is the best...however by half way through Sunday's race in Singapore my blackberry was dead (although reception wasn't too bad) . my friend follows F1.com live timing.. his iphone battery was even worse.

Now at Malaysian GP - reception was appalling.

#37 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 655 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:17

The thread title is "Fanvision in 2013" but the quote indicates that it'll be "banned" from 2014 onwards. Is Fanvision going to be available for 2013 races?

I went to Monza last year and sat in a grandstand right infront of a TV - so no issues, but going to Spa General Admission this year and the TV's seem a bit few and far between, so was kinda going to rely on a fanvision set.

#38 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:21

Yep, mobile phone batteries are still way too **** for your phone to be of much use in this manner.

I wouldn't mind bringing a tablet along but as others have explained it would require extra WiFi infrastructure.

#39 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,756 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:44

The thread title is "Fanvision in 2013" but the quote indicates that it'll be "banned" from 2014 onwards. Is Fanvision going to be available for 2013 races?

I went to Monza last year and sat in a grandstand right infront of a TV - so no issues, but going to Spa General Admission this year and the TV's seem a bit few and far between, so was kinda going to rely on a fanvision set.

No.
FanVision absent from 2013

Advertisement

#40 pristineaudio

pristineaudio

• 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:09

Yep, mobile phone batteries are still way too **** for your phone to be of much use in this manner.

I watched a qualifying session on French EuroSport over an H+ mobile connection on my Galaxy Note last summer, whilst at a local karting track with my son. No problems with battery life there - it could have held out for another hour or more. Certainly good enough to watch while sitting on the terrace with a drink.

The problem here for me would be the international roaming data charges if the whole thing is done by mobile phone services, or the aforementioned wi-fi registration system if done via an app (though I'm sure this wouldn't be impossible to sort out technically). The required bandwidth might be more of an issue though. That and the near-invisibility of the screen in the bright sunshine of Barcelona, of course...

#41 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:37

The reception at monza this year was excellent, only a few metres of bad reception around the lesmos under the trees.

If I didn't have it I would have been a bit lost though.

#42 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:56

so will FOM return me my money for buying the damn unit in the first place? damn bloody idiots!

Why would FOM, you bought the unit from Fanvision didn't you?
Put it on e-Bay and sell it to a fan of a sport Fanvision did manage to close a deal with.

#43 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:59

Nope what is ridiculous is people like you laying blame with FOM without even knowing what transpired.

#44 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 13:11

I remember me and my friends sitting in the Biergarden behind the main grandstand at Hockenheim this year. Watching the Porsche supercup race on our FanVision while having lunch in that nice place was a absolutely fantastic possibility

Edited by Richard T, 11 January 2013 - 13:11.

#45 CrushedDreams

CrushedDreams

• 526 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 20:30

Bumping old thread as it applies to what I was going to post:

Well, I can say this past weekends', very expensive, experience at Circuit of the Americas (COTA) was much less without FanVision. The cost of FanVision was minor compared what it cost us to attend. Anyway, someone is cutting off their nose to spite their face! (rumor has it they would only make 10% on the service)

A lot of my co-attendees (group of 11 all had 'premium' seats) will not return because of it. It wasn't the screen that was mostly missed; it was the commentary. The 'F1' APP was lacking (let alone having to bring phone chargers, and deal with a ton network issues), and other options to listen to some type of commentary kept crashing (when working was very delayed).

To Clarify: I would/will attend either way, but I follow F1 closely, it is the more casual fan who this impacts. Also, the cut-back of the support racing was not well received.

Edited by CrushedDreams, 19 November 2013 - 20:30.

#46 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:55

Is there no analogue radio broadcast at COTA? I thought it was used at all American circuits.

#47 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:31

Silverstone '11 was the same, especially on raceday.

Well that just shows the greed involved. Glastonbury festival has perfectly good mobile coverage because they install enough mobile towers for the people. But Michael Eavis is not a greedy bastard.

#48 CrushedDreams

CrushedDreams

• 526 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 17:01

Is there no analogue radio broadcast at COTA? I thought it was used at all American circuits.

We couldn't find anything, it seems the broadcast was now only digital. Maybe there was something simple that we couldn't find? BTW, The FOM is very good at preventing access to any commentary via the internet.

I just wanted to make a simple point: When you have people who are spending $650.00 for a ticket (Plus a lot more $$) FanVision ADDS way more value then it costs. Frankly, the FOM-F1-Track/Promoter should be begging for FanVision to be there. I don't think they realize that damaging the experience, and cutting the on-track activities as much as they did, that the $650.00 ticket may now only be 'worth' $375.00 to many (most of my 'group').

I am sure 'COTA' will again be hitting everyone-up for PSL's soon. I can't wait for that conversation.  :drunk:

Edited by CrushedDreams, 20 November 2013 - 17:03.