Photo
- - - - -

Does the Impressiveness of a Race Car's Sound Matter?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 22:29

In the universe I was originally born into, it was Commonly Known that loud things were EXCITING! Better yet, loud things with a PURPOSE!

... and, loud things that LOOKED COOL!

As I've become older, it would seem I've crossed into a different universe? I never would have thought as a kid, "one day, there will be Car Fans that are not emotionally moved by a loud and dynamic sounding car". So maybe I'm wrong; Not only is a V10 revving to 19,000 rpm not necessarily "thrilling" to hear, but maybe even kind of a bother?

I don't know. My sense of reality is perhaps distorted. Maybe a more polite sound is "ok" enough? Maybe all along, those of us that seem to exclaim with glee about the impressiveness of Ancient IC engines are really in the minority, and have been all along..?

Granted, I'm a musician, so I'm prone to think this way. But I've seen the faces of people when they first hear a LOUD ROCK GUITAR, and it looks a lot like people that hear a LOUD F1 ENGINE. I don't see that face at other races, it seems to be an emotional response particular to F1 events. Even on Youtube, with car demos - it seems like people are knocked out by *the sound*.

But maybe not...? Maybe it's nothing special after all.

Edited by Rubens Hakkamacher, 12 January 2013 - 22:35.

Advertisement

#2 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 22:38

It's relative. Sound is nice, but it's something that can be modified if it's for a larger gain. F1 definitely can't go the silent route, though it would eventually. Assuming we have auto racing in 100 years.

#3 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 22:44

It is not the most important thing. But it is important. I think that any sane person who heard a F1 V10 engine from close distance will agree :)

#4 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:49

V-10s have nothing on V-12s. There's nothing like the sound of a Matra V-12 at full chat. So yes, sound does matter.

#5 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:57

Only to a point. Every F1 engine that's came so far has had it's own sound and no ones ever complained much in the past. The new ones will sound perfectly good, maybe better to many who don't like the current high pitch whine.

#6 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,790 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:00

I thought this was already discussed to death in the 2014 engine & rules threads.
As for your sentiment, I can understand. But it's the same as complaining that today's youth does not appreciate the coolness of loud guitars, or email, to the extent I did back in the days. And that's the kind of complaint that has been repeated since ancient Greek times. In short: things change, go with it.

Edit: And like Fastcake says, it's not given that the new ones will sound bad/worse at all.

Edit: Time for a reminder of the serenity prayer :)

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 13 January 2013 - 12:19.

#7 Scotracer

Scotracer
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,766 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 15:52

If you've been watching F1 long enough you'll know the sounds have changed through the eras. I started watching in the early 90s so heard a few of the V12s, a lot of V10s and now the V8s. I personally preferred the V10s for their tuneful sound but the V12s sounded most angry and were the loudest...but 'loudest' is completely relative as the V8s of today are still frankly ridiculous.

And the new ones will be not far behind at all. Still over 120dB I predict.

#8 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 16:20

This video alone proves it

First seven cars - snooze, did I leave my vaccuum cleaner on?
The rest (petrol, bigger displacements. more scream) - awesome and exciting

Edited by SonnyViceR, 13 January 2013 - 16:24.

#9 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,713 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 16:23

Cars that are fast look good and they sound good, even if that's not the first impression.

#10 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 16:34

I've never understood the attraction to loud engines. Do these same people go to the airport and stand next to a roaring jet for fun?

#11 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 16:36

In the universe I was originally born into, it was Commonly Known that loud things were EXCITING!

Posted Image

#12 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 16:37

I have my preferences (V10 were gorgeous) but won´t complain whatever they do.

Everything moving fast and racing closely will do for me, even if I can see why some sounds are more appreciated. A totally silent engine mounted on a race cars doing 320 km/h could be something really cool, with the sound of wind and the tyres rolling. Watching a cycling pack comming at 70 km/h towards you in a sprint is still breathtaking with the sound of the wind current it generates and the tyres and the chain sounds, and the wave moving your clothes like a truck does. And it´s not loud, but watching it closely is still an impressive experience, that when you´re in there you can´t appreciate at all.

I´m sure that even if engines become silent, watching and hearing vehicles moving at high speed and quick changing directions will be still intense.

#13 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 16:43

I've never understood the attraction to loud engines. Do these same people go to the airport and stand next to a roaring jet for fun?

You're serioisly saying that this V12 doesn't make you jump in the air

That engine = orgasm

#14 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 16:48

Ever been to a race? The sound is part and parcel of the sport.

#15 MrFondue

MrFondue

• 375 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 16:48

You're serioisly saying that this V12 doesn't make you jump in the air

That engine = orgasm

I actually much prefer engines that sound deeper and fuller. Those Astons sound like Justin Bieber fans.

#16 Seano

Seano

• 358 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 16:53

I think a high free revving engine with a pronounced rev drop on gear change sound the most evocative. Hondas usually do it for me - I hope they wake up from their Earth Dreams soon and get back on with what they are best at.

Seano

#17 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 16:54

I actually much prefer engines that sound deeper and fuller. Those Astons sound like Justin Bieber fans.

Okay... ... ... ...

Deeper then. Which one of these you prefer

I cannot see any sane person answering the R10

Edited by SonnyViceR, 13 January 2013 - 16:55.

#18 MrFondue

MrFondue

• 375 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 16:58

Okay... ... ... ...

Deeper then. Which one of these you prefer

I cannot see any sane person answering the R10

As weird as it may sound, but I actually don't like the sound of V8's (I much prefer low revving V6's). Still, I'd take the Vette over the R10 soundwise.

Edited by MrFondue, 13 January 2013 - 16:59.

#19 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 16:59

Ever been to a race? The sound is part and parcel of the sport.

This.

Advertisement

#20 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 17:13

As weird as it may sound, but I actually don't like the sound of V8's (I much prefer low revving V6's). Still, I'd take the Vette over the R10 soundwise.

I don't like the R10 or the Vette sounds personally. Though at least the R10 is where the future is, money-wise.

And while the Aston Martin V12 does sound 'racy', it's not enough to make up for the other shortcomings.

#21 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 17:28

I don't like the R10 or the Vette sounds personally. Though at least the R10 is where the future is, money-wise.

And while the Aston Martin V12 does sound 'racy', it's not enough to make up for the other shortcomings.

I kind of celebrate this idea that each era got different sounds, but sound of engine is definitively one of the key facor of car racing.
Not sure how E-Racing-Car may sounds, but it certainly is NOT a silent machine...

V10 Sounds was distinctive and IU love it. V8 as well, a bit less, but great.

TRhe best wil be to have mixed sounds on grid, tho. V12, V10, V8, Turbine, E... Whoo cars as long as it meets the 'Open' formula. Nostaligy, may be.

#22 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 17:29

What other shortcomings?

Edited by SonnyViceR, 13 January 2013 - 17:30.

#23 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 17:42

The general 'meh'-ness of sportscar racing, especially in America.

#24 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 18:01

Cars that are fast look good and they sound good, even if that's not the first impression.

I once saw a Toyota Prius running good laptimes at the track. It neither looked nor sounded good doing it.

Performance is not everything, as you are implying. A race car on this level has to have a certain bit of drama and, in terms of sound, that is provided by a high revving NA engine.

#25 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 18:07

I can always appreciate a nice sounding engine/car. Even if it doesn't perform well.

Same goes with looks. It always earns it some points in my book.

#26 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 18:10

I don't think the sound matters. I can enjoy watching karting for example but a good sound does add to the enjoyment.

#27 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 18:14

I don't think I'm the right person to make civilized comment for... that :o

Edited by SonnyViceR, 13 January 2013 - 18:15.

#28 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 18:44

Wait, see, stop, right there, YOU.

I don't stand next to a roaring jet engine for fun, but I have actually stood at the end of a runway to watch and listen them take off. And the SOUND is very fun to me. Not to you? Have you been to a military airshow before?

#29 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 18:58

No, it really doesn't to me TBH.

#30 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 19:11

...but 'loudest' is completely relative as the V8s of today are still frankly ridiculous.

And the new ones will be not far behind at all. Still over 120dB I predict.

The thing is, a lot of things can be "120db" - without the qualifier of *how far away* it is at that level, it doesn't really say much.

Which isn't a concept commonly thought of, but here is an example:

At Indy in 2006, the cars were doing over 126db C weighted sitting in the second tier of stands at Turn 13, just as they passed in front. While this is "extremely loud", I wouldn't say it's necessarily louder than what you'd get at a NASCAR event, certainly not a TF race.

BUT, the difference is that as they accelerated down the back straight, they were still pushing 82+ db from the same location, half a mile away. You could hear them upshift, downshift. As they accelerated through the short chute coming back around, they were a nice steady 90 or so db, you could hear them coming... then the blast of sound.

The Porsche cup cars sounded neat. They were about 102db from the same location - pretty loud, one should still be wearing ear plugs. BUT...

... but, once there were halfway down the front straight, they're down to around 78db. Once they went through the 1st turn, you didn't really hear them if people were talking loud around you. And as they came around, unless you were looking for them, you wouldn't know it until you saw them.

This is all important!!

My description of the first time I heard an F1 car, from that location at Indy, was something like "alien Terminators coming to kill you" or some such. You didn't *see* the car coming out of T11-12, *but you could hear it*, and you could hear the car revving up to 18,000 through the gears, *well before you saw it*. By the time you saw it, it was blasting you over with volume.

I'm sorry, but in this case I have to admit my weakness as a "red blooded 'Murican" and say "yeah, that is really bloody exciting!". It was actually enjoyable watching people's expressions at that location, people just walking into the track for the first time, as they stood/sat there waiting for a car to come around for the first time. People would laugh, cackle with excitement. Some people will actually scream, dudes will hug each other, it's crazy.

That, to me, is an affirmation.

I got that effect at Montreal. It's great to be sitting at one end of the track, and you can hear the cars doing their thing all the way down at the other end, all the way back to where you are sitting. Again, the cup cars are essential non-existent once out of your sight, and the Ferrari Challenge cars aren't super loud to begin with.

What makes that happen is *how much energy is going out the pipe*. A human can blow a trumpet and hit 119db at 3 feet; it doesn't mean it's going to be 119db 500 feet away. A "horn" that only has 650 hp going through it will not be as impressive a mile away as one that has another 200-250 bhp. It can't be, physics doesn't work like that.

We're now talking about ALMS-level non-diesel engines. ALMS has been cool in the past with the different engines, BUT - none of those cars sound like an F1 car in the distance or close up. The difference is "Is a car coming? Ok, wait, I see one... yeah" and with F1 "sounds like it's two corners away.... here it comes!".

That is the music of Formula 1. That gets my blood racing.

/ rant mode: off
// sorry, get off my tarmac

#31 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 19:27

Wasn't a big deal when they went from v8's and v12's to the turbo cars. It won't be a big deal now. Some people just can't deal with change, they are the ones who will always be left behind.
My only issue with the new formula are the reliability regs.

#32 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 19:33

The loud engines are definitely a part of it - the great experience.
I was totally enchanted, hypnothized by the noice at my first live race-experience...

Anyway, the most important thing for me is that there is a lot of action and exitement in a race
- so a little bit less noice is totally ok for me if I at the same time can get more "actiongenerating" motors/cars
How - do not ask me, have no idea... :)

#33 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 20:04

It matters, but the tone is also important. I have much bigger goosebumps when WRC car drives by, than I had watching F1 race at the circuit.

#34 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 20:14

It matters, but the tone is also important. I have much bigger goosebumps when WRC car drives by, than I had watching F1 race at the circuit.

It really is not. No miracle lasts more than three days. It only needs to be loud. You get used to and move on. Change is change. If loud cars doing timetrials give you bigger goosebumps, than it's your thing that's all. I like the racing part better.

#35 Tombstone

Tombstone

• 1,392 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 20:18

It matters a great deal to me.

I HATE the sound of the screaming 8s and 10s, they are just loud without any class or quality.

The 60s and 70s produced such a variety of wonderful sounding motors, each brilliantly sonorous in its own unique way.

Edited by Tombstone, 13 January 2013 - 20:19.

#36 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 20:24

^^your time may be coming then. The new V6 should sound lower.

#37 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 20:52

I was present at Bavaria City Racing 2005 in Rotterdam, where Ho Pin Tung demo'd the Williams BMW. That thing was, even from a mile away, one blast of 100 percent pure THUNDER. Almost the same in 2000 at Zandvoort, where Schumacher and Barrichello went on to do some hotlapping. I have never had that feeling ever since, in the V8 era.

#38 MrFondue

MrFondue

• 375 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 21:40

It really is not. No miracle lasts more than three days. It only needs to be loud. You get used to and move on. Change is change. If loud cars doing timetrials give you bigger goosebumps, than it's your thing that's all. I like the racing part better.

Rally drivers are racing too. It's just that they battle the stage instead of other drivers. Seing someone struggle to keep the car on track is a lot more exciting than watching 24 drivers not overtaking each other for 90 minutes, at least for me.

#39 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 21:54

I don't know... C2 driving past me makes no impression at all in comparison to WRC. and he is doing the same thing there. I think I'm talking only about sound. Whole racing vs rallying stuff is entirely different history

Edited by MadYarpen, 13 January 2013 - 21:57.

Advertisement

#40 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 22:06

Rally drivers are racing too. It's just that they battle the stage instead of other drivers. Seing someone struggle to keep the car on track is a lot more exciting than watching 24 drivers not overtaking each other for 90 minutes, at least for me.

I don't know... C2 driving past me makes no impression at all in comparison. and he is doing the same thing there.

Well, as I said, it is your thing. I dd not want to imply that rally is not racing. What rally drivers do is sometimes unreal. It is fascinatingly dangerous driving on the edge on that level too. But I think if you would take the engine sound away from rally and F1. F1 would lose more. Way more.

#41 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 22:26

I've been saying that since the demise of the original Can Am series.

#42 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 14:16

It depends on whether sound is needed for the speed. If it does not, then we are focusing on the wrong feature.

#43 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,869 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 15:10

In the universe I was originally born into, it was Commonly Known that loud things were EXCITING! Better yet, loud things with a PURPOSE!

... and, loud things that LOOKED COOL!

As I've become older, it would seem I've crossed into a different universe? I never would have thought as a kid, "one day, there will be Car Fans that are not emotionally moved by a loud and dynamic sounding car". So maybe I'm wrong; Not only is a V10 revving to 19,000 rpm not necessarily "thrilling" to hear, but maybe even kind of a bother?

I don't know. My sense of reality is perhaps distorted. Maybe a more polite sound is "ok" enough? Maybe all along, those of us that seem to exclaim with glee about the impressiveness of Ancient IC engines are really in the minority, and have been all along..?

Granted, I'm a musician, so I'm prone to think this way. But I've seen the faces of people when they first hear a LOUD ROCK GUITAR, and it looks a lot like people that hear a LOUD F1 ENGINE. I don't see that face at other races, it seems to be an emotional response particular to F1 events. Even on Youtube, with car demos - it seems like people are knocked out by *the sound*.

But maybe not...? Maybe it's nothing special after all.

I also must deal with the fact that racing engines are rather soon `too loud` for me to tolerate and feel comfortable with.
Lower noise level, yet melodious engines are fine with me.
With V8's my problem is that the larger they become I can't stand that droning farting sound either.
I still have nightmares of the Panoz GT1's I saw and heard at Le Mans in 1997, that was a frightning experience for me. even worse that the Mazda Rotaries at Daytona '99
Yup, the diesels are a bit too low and offsound but at least better then those loud things. Besides that, they sat in great looking cars and that made up for me.

With the current F1 engines my problem is that since they rotate so fast and thus ignite fuel so often and so much in a second, it rapidly becomes too loud for me as well, besides that it is a mere scream in which I can't hear any `music` anymore. The older F1 engines that went to 13000 ropm at best were the best years for me.

For a number of people out here I can only say:

I hope for all of you that, eventually in the future, when your hearing has suffered from loud engines, loud music on iPods etc, I hoped you've enjoyed the moments that then will make you pay for that pleasure you have right now eventually.
You may take it for granted since you've always had hearing and enjoyed it.
But you have only one hearing system to ruin and lose in your life.
Treat it gently and respect it. You only know what you miss when it is damaged or even worse, gone

Henri

Edited by Henri Greuter, 14 January 2013 - 15:13.

#44 MrFondue

MrFondue

• 375 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 15:59

Well, as I said, it is your thing. I dd not want to imply that rally is not racing. What rally drivers do is sometimes unreal. It is fascinatingly dangerous driving on the edge on that level too. But I think if you would take the engine sound away from rally and F1. F1 would lose more. Way more.

Hearing the cars miles before they pass you (especially in forests) is glorious.

#45 manmower

manmower

• 1,534 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 16:37

It matters to me inasmuch as I do think they used to sound "better" and that's a bit of a shame when you compare today's F1 directly to that of 20 years ago. But without comparing them side by side it doesn't really bother me.

#46 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 17:34

Kinda like this comparison. One sounds cool... one sounds like it's on the edge of being out of control and angry.

Also note the complexity of sound at the 100 meter board, and how muted the Champ car is at that point.

2007 F1 / Champ Car comparison

Then there is this: a direct side by side comparison - NASCAR vs. F1; watch the expressions of people's faces, AND note that you don't even hear the NASCAR V8:

Red Bull NASCAR / F1

Are all of these people here to just see a race car trundle along? Watch the reaction and the faces at the end:

A Lot of People Without an Entertainment In Mind?

#47 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 18:04

Indycars are loud enough in person. There's no doubt that it's a race car. And I prefer the turbo versions to the medium-revving NA V8s they had earlier in the decade. They were very loud, almost F1-ish, and at a place like Indianapolis a little *too* loud. With the turbo cars you can have a conversation with someone while watching the race. Not a whispered one, but you dont have to shout yourself hoarse or use earplugs.

Likewise while the F1 V10s were impressive, it was too much after a while. Especially a pack of them. A V8 F1 car still sounds like a race car. Hell even a GP2 does.

#48 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,268 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 19:00

People must not mind that much because the V10's of 20,000 RPM were something special compared with the 18,000 RPM V8's of today. People coped with that and they'll cope with 15,000 RPM.

#49 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 19:41

Sound helps. The new Indy cars are an example of this. Very cool looking but the sound is a bit muted for my liking.

I think back to 05 when I got to hear those glorious F1 V10s at Indy, and the sound really made it great. It was also amazing because you would hear the differences between the manufacturers. The Cosworths sounded very rough and crappy, the Honda sounded rough but powerful, and the Ferrari sounded smooth. I also remember in later years the funny sounds the Toyota traction control system.

It doesn't make or break the series, but it never hurts to have a great sound.

I wish they would allow an open engine formula, and simply say you get a max of 3 liters NA or 1.2 liters Turbo.

#50 MrFondue

MrFondue

• 375 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 20:41

Kinda like this comparison. One sounds cool... one sounds like it's on the edge of being out of control and angry.

Also note the complexity of sound at the 100 meter board, and how muted the Champ car is at that point.

2007 F1 / Champ Car comparison

Then there is this: a direct side by side comparison - NASCAR vs. F1; watch the expressions of people's faces, AND note that you don't even hear the NASCAR V8:

Red Bull NASCAR / F1

Are all of these people here to just see a race car trundle along? Watch the reaction and the faces at the end:

A Lot of People Without an Entertainment In Mind?

They're not there just for the sound. They're the because that's the closest you get to F1 as a mere mortal.