Photo

Jeremy Michael Hawke

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 599 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:41

I tried searching for him using the search feature, but going through 25 pages of one topic to find a reference is not the way that I like to spend my time.

I have been reading "Maintaining the Breed" by John Thornley and wondered if any of the MG speed records are still valid. I found the FIA list and started looking through and I found an MG one. This if for a J2 Midget driven by Jeremy Michael Hawke who set records for 10 km at 66.119 and 10 miles at 67.625, both from a standing start in the 350 to 500 cc supercharged class at Millbrook on August 28, 1989. This must nearly be a record fora car of that age!

So, who was he and where is that car now?

Advertisement

#2 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:09

I think this is the son of the late Mike Hawke, MG K3 historian of note. I would suggest trying the Triple M register Robin :)
db

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:25

He's a member here - he posts as JMH:

http://forums.autosp...?showuser=20465

#4 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:31

Here is some info on Jeremy's MG J2 and MG K3 both of which are still in the Hawke family.

#5 JMH

JMH

• 62 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 19:08

Wow, the internet really does make for a very small world!

Those International records were set during a 24 hour run, during which the car picked up 20 National records as well for various times & distances. Other MMM cars set records in the 750 & 1100cc classes at the same time. Three sessions were done by the MGCC MMM Register, one at MIRA & 2 at Millbrook over about a 6 year period. By the end, we were getting to the limit for the cars, or having to go a very long distance to get anything.

But...... there is a very tiny J2 with off-set drive-line which with a bit more development of the old 500cc motor might just be good enough for 100miles in the hour, which would be worthwhile as a first :clap:

Also, Millbrook is pretty expensive these days!

The three attempts by cars in the 3 classes must have broken or set over 50 records in all (some of which were braking our own), but only the 2 International ones , all by amateur enthusiasts. The MMM Register Year-Books from the time (PDF on the Register web-site) record it all for posterity.

Meanwhile, the FIA Certificate (signed by JMB himself no less) still hangs in the smallest room it the house!

JH

#6 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 599 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 22:39

Wow, the internet really does make for a very small world!

Those International records were set during a 24 hour run, during which the car picked up 20 National records as well for various times & distances. Other MMM cars set records in the 750 & 1100cc classes at the same time. Three sessions were done by the MGCC MMM Register, one at MIRA & 2 at Millbrook over about a 6 year period. By the end, we were getting to the limit for the cars, or having to go a very long distance to get anything.

But...... there is a very tiny J2 with off-set drive-line which with a bit more development of the old 500cc motor might just be good enough for 100miles in the hour, which would be worthwhile as a first :clap:

Also, Millbrook is pretty expensive these days!

The three attempts by cars in the 3 classes must have broken or set over 50 records in all (some of which were braking our own), but only the 2 International ones , all by amateur enthusiasts. The MMM Register Year-Books from the time (PDF on the Register web-site) record it all for posterity.

Meanwhile, the FIA Certificate (signed by JMB himself no less) still hangs in the smallest room it the house!

JH

Many thanks - from the horses mouth! Was the car one of the pre war record breaking cars? I understand that the standard J2 engine was of 847 cc capacity, how did youget it down to 500 cc? I am aware that during the EX 135 history, that had run with a 500cc engine by removing three pistons from a smaller bore version of the 6 cyliner engine. I am preparing an article on EX 135 for our local Vintage Car newsletter, but it would be nice to add a post cript about your recors. Any chance of any photos? If you preferyou could senf me a PM.

#7 Nick Barltrop

Nick Barltrop

• 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 21:35

I tried searching for him using the search feature, but going through 25 pages of one topic to find a reference is not the way that I like to spend my time.

This might be helpful: - if you click 'more search options', then 'refine search', and in result type chose 'show results as posts' this will list only the relevant posts, with the search terms highlighted

#8 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 599 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:18

Thanks for the contributions and am in direct contact with Jeremy.