* * * * - 3 votes

2013 British Touring Car Championship season

• Please log in to reply
539 replies to this topic

#351 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,668 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 20:29

Turkington has been disqualified from fourth place in the third race due to his engine overboosting.

Bugger. That's undone most of the good work of winning the first two races.  Instead of halving the points deficit, he's only about 6pts closer.

Advertisement

#352 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,030 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:21

a few of my snaps from Saturday....

touring cars...http://www.flickr.co...57635224017533/

Ginetta GT Supercup...http://www.flickr.co...57635231406412/

Cheers Ian :wave:

Excellent photos  :up:

#353 froggy22

froggy22

• 794 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:58

Once again, the commentators applauded a debatable overtake, this time Morgan's "overtake" on plato in race 1

#354 speedstew

speedstew

• 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 13:30

I am a Yank who will be in London at the end of September and I want to attend the the BTCC round at Silverstone. I'm planning on wet, wintery weather.

However, I don't want to rent a car for the week-end. Can anyone here advise me about getting to the track? Are there charter buses that leave from London? Do I take a train? What station do I stop at? Are there shuttle buses from the train station to the track?

Any other advise or warnings?

I have subscribed to Autosport for years. There is nothing like it in the USA to cover all motorsports. But this is the first time I've gotten on the Forums.

I follow European racing, BTCC, WTCC, FIA GT, WRC, WEC on the Speed2.com web site.

Cheers.

#355 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,651 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 18:02

Bugger. That's undone most of the good work of winning the first two races.  Instead of halving the points deficit, he's only about 6pts close

Not really. Losing 13 points hardly undoes two wins worth.

#356 bushgold

bushgold

• 171 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:30

I am a Yank who will be in London at the end of September and I want to attend the the BTCC round at Silverstone. I'm planning on wet, wintery weather.

However, I don't want to rent a car for the week-end. Can anyone here advise me about getting to the track? Are there charter buses that leave from London? Do I take a train? What station do I stop at? Are there shuttle buses from the train station to the track?

Any other advise or warnings?

visited silverstone 5 times this year: blancpain endurance, f1 young drivers test, gt/f3 open, silverstone classic, british gp

book a (cheaper advance) return train trip from euston to northampton and take the local bus from bay 18 at greyfriars bus station (about 10min walk from northampton train station). saturday advance train tickets can be as cheap as £12. i usually take the 05:30 from euston. the first bus to silverstone is around 8:20. this gives you an hour to spend in northampton. enjoyable during the summer. coffee places are open. plenty of time to stock up on food and water at the tesco/greggs unless you want to pay £6 for a burger at the circuit.

warning: forget about sunday. sounds insane but there are no stagecoach buses to silverstone on sundays. you'd think silverstone would coordinate with the local transport authorities for sunday events. it's not positioned badly to receive motorsport fans from london and birmingham but they don't seem to give a shit. 

#357 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 1,198 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:30

Other commitments permitting I might be going to the BTCC at Silverstone and will be heading past Northampton on my way... if I haven't got a car full of people I might be able to give you a lift from the station so if you really didn't want to hire a car you could make the Sunday... If I'm definitely going I'll psot something nearer the time! 

#358 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,668 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 13:39

Not really. Losing 13 points hardly undoes two wins worth.

Actually it does; wins are less important than by how much he is outscoring Neal and Jordan. That no score really hurt him. He went in to the weekend 37 points behind in the championship.  Before he was disqualified, it looked like he had closed the gap by 20 pts (to 17pts. ie more than half.). Instead he only closed the margin by 7pts (to 30pts).

In the last four rounds, he has outscored Neal by 7, 10, 3 and 7. That isn't quite a high enough rate to catch him by the end of the season. Knockhill was an unusually good chance to close the points because Neal and Jordan struggled so much. Despite dominating Croft, (2 wins, a second, pole, and a FL) he still only outscore Neal by 7pts there.

Edited by MrAerodynamicist, 28 August 2013 - 13:43.

#359 DS27

DS27

• 981 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 16:59

Fingers crossed Turkington, one of the cleanest drivers BTCC has seen over the last decade, can win it from those Honda's.

Advertisement

#360 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,651 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 20:53

Actually it does; wins are less important than by how much he is outscoring Neal and Jordan. That no score really hurt him. He went in to the weekend 37 points behind in the championship.  Before he was disqualified, it looked like he had closed the gap by 20 pts (to 17pts. ie more than half.). Instead he only closed the margin by 7pts (to 30pts).

In the last four rounds, he has outscored Neal by 7, 10, 3 and 7. That isn't quite a high enough rate to catch him by the end of the season. Knockhill was an unusually good chance to close the points because Neal and Jordan struggled so much. Despite dominating Croft, (2 wins, a second, pole, and a FL) he still only outscore Neal by 7pts there.

Yeah I see what you mean, looking at it like that. Still, could have been worse, could not have had those wins.

#361 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,599 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 17:16

Tom Onslow-Cole and Team HARD have parted company with immediate effect, and Paul O'Neill will also not be returning. Jack Goff will reclaim his seat in the team for Rockingham, and Howard Fuller will also make his long-anticipated début.

#362 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,651 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 21:50

A frequently revolving door at Team Hard it would seem. Didn't Fuller race a bit last year for the team?

#363 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 741 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 21:54

Tom Onslow-Cole and Team HARD have parted company with immediate effect, and Paul O'Neill will also not be returning. Jack Goff will reclaim his seat in the team for Rockingham, and Howard Fuller will also make his long-anticipated début.

What source for TOC leaving the team? All the media outlets reporting that he is skipping the remaining rounds to focus on 2014 testing later in the year as he has confirmed on twitter that he plans to attend all remaining rounds.

Paul O'Neill is being linked with a full-time 2014 drive with Team Hard

#364 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 741 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:12

So I was wrong...

http://www.touringca...rformance-deal/

#365 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,599 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 20:53

The MGs are back on form at Rockingham, locking out the front row. Turkington is behind his Honda rivals, in ninth place.

#366 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 1,643 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:14

Man this is the first race I saw at Rockingham since being a lad watching the CART races here and I forgot it was an oval. :blush:

Great recovery race by Austin. *sigh* I miss seeing Aron Smith's girlfriend.

#367 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,668 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:48

Turk ~5mph down on the leaders' straight line speeds. Reckon any hope he had of challenging for the title has been killed by the latest boost changes.

#368 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 1,643 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 13:29

Austin :clap:

#369 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,668 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 13:30

Poor score for Jordon and a DNF for Neal, while Shed and Turk get 2nd and 3rd. It swings back towards a four way title challenge...

* edit: just seen the points. Now very close between Turk, Neal and Shedden, but with Jordon with a not unhealthy lead.

Edited by MrAerodynamicist, 15 September 2013 - 13:34.

#370 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,840 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 13:33

Yay Rob! Long time coming...

Turkington as reliable as ever, keeping this a four way fight.

Bit of a disaster for Neal though!

#371 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,651 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 13:36

Rob Austin! :up:  sweet

#372 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,668 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 13:45

And the draw puts Jordan back on pole.  Could it all be failing his way for the title?

Edited by MrAerodynamicist, 15 September 2013 - 13:46.

#373 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,599 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 16:54

I, like the rest of the known universe, am delighted that Austin has broken his BTCC duck! It's just a shame that I'm on holiday and won't be able to watch the races until next weekend.

#374 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,599 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 17:07

Jordan has won the final race to extend his lead, with Turkington keeping him honest in second and Shedden and Neal not too far behind, keeping the championship interesting. Lea Wood has won the inaugural Jack Sears Trophy.

Jordan tends to struggle slightly more than his rivals on full ballast, and Silverstone also tends to penalise ballast and the underboosted Civics in any case, so the championship could tighten up again there. Plato and Jackson were very strong at the venue last year.

#375 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 1,643 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 17:19

Cool, it sounds interesting championship wise, roll on Silverstone.

#376 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,840 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 18:29

All falling Jordan's way right now...

#377 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 741 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:49

All falling Jordan's way right now...

Unless his Honda performs like the factory machines did at Silverstone last year.

#378 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,599 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:11

Exclusive new BTCC merchandise now on sale!

HlRfwN2.png

#379 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,599 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:05

Philip Morgan, the father of Renault Clio Cup driver Alex Morgan, has commissioned the construction of two NGTC Renault Méganes with the intention of leasing them to customers next year.

Advertisement

#380 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 741 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:06

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/109901

Any thoughts on the drivers who will be gracing these two vehicles next season?

I hope Lea Wood can find the budget to race NGTC next season, perhaps in one of these.

#381 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 741 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:34

Can anyone stop him?

9771219734_e938972245_z.jpg
Andrew Jordan celebrates his third round race win by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

Could he be any more popular? The uproar in the grandstand when he came third was pretty amazing, considering that the fans were pretty spread out on the open T1 grandstand. The race win was something else.

9771227404_b84e7cefc3_z.jpg
Rob Austin on the way to a BTCC podium by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

Edited by TimRTC, 16 September 2013 - 11:34.

#382 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,840 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:32

Trying to remember when Rob became such a cult hero :confused:

Maybe its the sideburns?

#383 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 741 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 13:37

Trying to remember when Rob became such a cult hero :confused:

Maybe its the sideburns?

He had a decent following in 2012 - he cultivated a plucky underdog attitude with good social media savvy and clean driving which is what secured him the impressive Wix sponsorship.

It was the big crash at Brands this year though that turned him into a fan favourite - particularly the T-shirt selling - making the fans feel that they really helped get the car back onto the grid (yes I have two t-shirts).

#384 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 159 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 14:31

Bit late to the party,but nevermind..........  :blush:

Great to see Rob winning, no one deserves it more.  :clap:

Been a fan since his single seater days  :clap:

#385 froggy22

froggy22

• 794 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 14:35

I'd also add that I like the way he drives the car, not sure if its just the Audi or how Rob drives, but the car moves about a lot more than the other cars, not just because its rear wheel drive. The car just looks more alive in the corners compared to the understeery front wheel drive cars. Whenever he puts the power down out of the corner you can see the tail slide, you dont get that with FWD. The BMW's look great too, but not as extreme as the Audi.

#386 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,840 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 17:41

Exclusive new BTCC merchandise now on sale!

Love it!

Wonder what's in the Tony Stewart sandwich though...

#387 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,599 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 20:00

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/109901

Any thoughts on the drivers who will be gracing these two vehicles next season?

I hope Lea Wood can find the budget to race NGTC next season, perhaps in one of these.

My initial reaction was that Alex Morgan would be driving one, but as his father (from what I understand) only intends to sell them instead of running them, I'm not so sure. Wood could be a possibility, or perhaps AmD or James Cole? Or perhaps HARD will try another NGTC chassis after the generally lacklustre performances of the Passat and Insignia?

Edit: I heard it mentioned in the commentary a few races ago that perennial Clio Cup frontrunner Paul Rivett is going to make a big effort to put together a BTCC next year, so he could be another candidate for the Mégane.

Edited by midgrid, 16 September 2013 - 20:03.

#388 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,840 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 21:05

I'd also add that I like the way he drives the car, not sure if its just the Audi or how Rob drives, but the car moves about a lot more than the other cars, not just because its rear wheel drive. The car just looks more alive in the corners compared to the understeery front wheel drive cars. Whenever he puts the power down out of the corner you can see the tail slide, you dont get that with FWD. The BMW's look great too, but not as extreme as the Audi.

Yeah, I noticed that this weekend :up:

#389 Dozer

Dozer

• 137 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 22:24

Can anyone stop him?

9771219734_e938972245_z.jpg
Andrew Jordan celebrates his third round race win by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

Could he be any more popular? The uproar in the grandstand when he came third was pretty amazing, considering that the fans were pretty spread out on the open T1 grandstand. The race win was something else.

9771227404_b84e7cefc3_z.jpg
Rob Austin on the way to a BTCC podium by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

A bit depressed after the races yesterday (Plato fan) but always enjoyed the unpredictability of the BTCC, plus I love the A4's, same color as mine but I've the 2012 shape in S-Line spec and yes, I do drive it down the motorway like Mr Austin! :p

#390 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,840 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:37

Sounds like the crowd really got into it with the Austin win anyway. Surprised you could get much atmosphere spread out in those enormous grandstands. :cool:

#391 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 741 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:30

Sounds like the crowd really got into it with the Austin win anyway. Surprised you could get much atmosphere spread out in those enormous grandstands. :cool:

T1 grandstand was quite quiet (it is open afterall) but the main covered stand was packed to the rafters during the racing. Must have been really good in there.

#392 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 916 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 14:06

I really don't get the Austin hype? Plus, surely it isn't quite as an achievement when the TOCA turbo boost levels are heavily in your favour...

#393 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,599 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:43

Aiden Moffat, the BTCC's youngest-ever driver at Knockhill, will return to the series for the rest of the season in the HARD VW Passat.

#394 BRG

BRG

• 11,409 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:10

I really don't get the Austin hype? 

I think it is because people have discovered that he is an engaging and amusing character and a refreshing change from the old Plato/Neal double act.  And we all love the underdog of course, the privateer running on a shoestring.  Remember, that was how Matt Neal became a personality, by being the privateer fighting against the manufacturer teams back when he started.

surely it isn't quite as an achievement when the TOCA turbo boost levels are heavily in your favour...

That never worried anyone when it was Plato's team(s) that were benefitting, he was still depicted as the star.

#395 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 741 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:11

I really don't get the Austin hype? Plus, surely it isn't quite as an achievement when the TOCA turbo boost levels are heavily in your favour...

BTCC is not GT3, most fans probably don't even realise that there is any performance balancing, nor that Austin's Audi is actually not even using an Audi engine.

#396 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,599 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 17:00

Adam Morgan and Ciceley Racing will switch to a Mercedes A-Class next year. This also means that their current Toyota Avensis will be on sale and could be on the grid again in someone else's hands in 2014.

#397 BRG

BRG

• 11,409 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 17:10

Adam Morgan and Ciceley Racing will switch to a Mercedes A-Class next year. 

Seriously? They think a tank like that will be competitive?  Perhaps Audi will come in with a Q7....

#398 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 1,454 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 18:30

It's hardly a tank, it's comparable in size with a Civic or Focus

#399 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,840 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 18:37

Adam Morgan and Ciceley Racing will switch to a Mercedes A-Class next year. This also means that their current Toyota Avensis will be on sale and could be on the grid again in someone else's hands in 2014.

I wonder how much of it will actually be Mercedes with all the NGTC stuff in there though? Just a shell?

Advertisement

#400 BRG

BRG

• 11,409 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 20:55

It's hardly a tank, it's comparable in size with a Civic or Focus

You're right, I checked the dimensions and it is almost identical.  I am most surprised.  I guess the memory of that original A-class falling over in the infamous 'moose test' dies hard.

I still think it looks much bigger than the Civic!