François Cevert, Mosport 1973

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 22:54

Hi guys,

I'm a huge Francois fan, and I have been wondering something for quite some time, I thought I'd ask you guys and get your opinions on it.

Francois had a huge shunt in Canada (Mosport) 1973, involving Jody Sheckter, and as a consequence of this incident he had some ankle injury (I am not sure if it was one ankle or both) and he even had JYS carrying him about on his shoulders from then up until the race weekend at Watkins Glen.

My question is this:- as far as I know The 'Prof' Sid Watkins wasn't involved with F1 up until 78ish (I could be wrong)
With people saying Francois was still struggling a little with that injury up until his crash, if Sid Watkins had been in charge like it was in later years, do you think he would have stopped Francois from racing that weekend and unknowingly saved his life?

I do not know exactly how bad the injury was when they got to Watkins Glen, I'm sure Ken Tyrrell would have been concerned but of course Francois would have wanted to race, no matter how bad it was.

I guess its a pointless question really, but it something I find myself pondering on. The very sad thing is after that incident Francois phoned his mother and said something along the lines of 'Thanks to the toughness of the Tyrrell, I'm still alive' such painful words when seeing what happened later.

options? (apart from, I'm a boring old sod and have too much spare time)

Advertisement

#2 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 23:19

Hi guys,

I'm a huge Francois fan, and I have been wondering something for quite some time, I thought I'd ask you guys and get your opinions on it.

Francois had a huge shunt in Canada (Mosport) 1973, involving Jody Sheckter, and as a consequence of this incident he had some ankle injury (I am not sure if it was one ankle or both) and he even had JYS carrying him about on his shoulders from then up until the race weekend at Watkins Glen.

My question is this:- as far as I know The 'Prof' Sid Watkins wasn't involved with F1 up until 78ish (I could be wrong)
With people saying Francois was still struggling a little with that injury up until his crash, if Sid Watkins had been in charge like it was in later years, do you think he would have stopped Francois from racing that weekend and unknowingly saved his life?

I do not know exactly how bad the injury was when they got to Watkins Glen, I'm sure Ken Tyrrell would have been concerned but of course Francois would have wanted to race, no matter how bad it was.

I guess its a pointless question really, but it something I find myself pondering on. The very sad thing is after that incident Francois phoned his mother and said something along the lines of 'Thanks to the toughness of the Tyrrell, I'm still alive' such painful words when seeing what happened later.

options? (apart from, I'm a boring old sod and have too much spare time)

I was at both races and saw the coming together at Mosport. I personally don't recall him struggling at The Glen and it certainly didn't affect his speed as he was quick right from the beginning of practice. But, to answer your question, no, I don't think The prof would have stopped him from racing that weekend.

#3 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 23:32

Jackie Stewart went out in his own Tyrrell immediately after Cevert's crash, he had to satisfy himself about the cause. He believed that François just took a bumpy section too fast, and couldn't control the resulting wobble, not exactly conclusive, but that's what JYS says in his rather disappointing autobiography. I'll re-phrase that, make it his very disappointing autobiography, we deserved better.

#4 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 23:53

I don't know much about Ceverts accident at Mosport but this video of Lotus in 73 is interesting. Near the end Fittipaldi's accident in practice in Zandvoort that year is featured. You can see how he is in serious discomfort, given heavy pain killing medicine then allowed to race:

#5 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 15:04

I was at both races and saw the coming together at Mosport. I personally don't recall him struggling at The Glen and it certainly didn't affect his speed as he was quick right from the beginning of practice. But, to answer your question, no, I don't think The prof would have stopped him from racing that weekend.

You were there.. Wow

Thanks for the help, I'm a huge Francois fan and even though I was only aged 11 at the time, I remember the news story and being totally heartbroken as my hero was lost. also am still disgusted that he was simply left there and not helped (even if it was pointless) even JYS walked away and didnt stay with him.

Thanks again.

#6 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 15:06

Jackie Stewart went out in his own Tyrrell immediately after Cevert's crash, he had to satisfy himself about the cause. He believed that François just took a bumpy section too fast, and couldn't control the resulting wobble, not exactly conclusive, but that's what JYS says in his rather disappointing autobiography. I'll re-phrase that, make it his very disappointing autobiography, we deserved better.

Thanks.

Agree with you on the book also, was good but far too little F1 and far too much name dropping and celebrity nonsense.

#7 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 15:18

You were there.. Wow

Thanks for the help, I'm a huge Francois fan and even though I was only aged 11 at the time, I remember the news story and being totally heartbroken as my hero was lost. also am still disgusted that he was simply left there and not helped (even if it was pointless) even JYS walked away and didnt stay with him.

Thanks again.

I had to research Francois' accident as part of my work with Formula One Management, not something I enjoyed, as a thirteen year old Francois was one of only two real heroes in F1 I have ever had.

The ankle was dismissed pretty much at the time, Francois had managed a set of tennis, as a test. JYS and Francois were taking the that particular part of the Glen differently, JYS being at the low end of top, Francois prefering the top end of fourth, making the short wheelbase 006/3 more skittish than it already was, but it had worked all through the weekend to the point of the accident, Francois just got wide, kept his foot in, but couldn't catch the resulting spin. Once the 005/6 series cars went, JYS said, they just went.

As for leaving Francois after the accident, JYS was more or less removed by Jody, who to this day is affected while discussing it, and tried to stop other drivers from going to the car. JYS has said several times he regrets not staying with Francois.

#8 goro

goro

• 53 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 16:26

You were there.. Wow

Thanks again.

Thanks for this thread. I'm also a big fan of F.Cevert. I have a computer full of his photos and I built Tyrrell 006 in all scales. I was then 21 years old.
"goro"

#9 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:54

I had to research Francois' accident as part of my work with Formula One Management, not something I enjoyed, as a thirteen year old Francois was one of only two real heroes in F1 I have ever had.

The ankle was dismissed pretty much at the time, Francois had managed a set of tennis, as a test. JYS and Francois were taking the that particular part of the Glen differently, JYS being at the low end of top, Francois prefering the top end of fourth, making the short wheelbase 006/3 more skittish than it already was, but it had worked all through the weekend to the point of the accident, Francois just got wide, kept his foot in, but couldn't catch the resulting spin. Once the 005/6 series cars went, JYS said, they just went.

As for leaving Francois after the accident, JYS was more or less removed by Jody, who to this day is affected while discussing it, and tried to stop other drivers from going to the car. JYS has said several times he regrets not staying with Francois.

That is great information, thank you.
such a tragic day, I will always believe he would have been a champion.

#10 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:55

Thanks for this thread. I'm also a big fan of F.Cevert. I have a computer full of his photos and I built Tyrrell 006 in all scales. I was then 21 years old.
"goro"

almost 40 years on from his horrific accident, Francois still has many many fans, we all miss him dearly.
I think he would have been proud.

:)

#11 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 15:46

I witnessed the Scheckter/Cevert accident. I was sitting on the hill next the the straight between two and three and could see all of turn two. After the cars stopped, Cevert exited his, and moved towards Sheckter's car, crouched over and shaking his fist in anger. It was clear, by the way he moved, that his ankles hurt him.

Today I can't remember whether Scheckter tried passing on the inside going into two, or the outside. Whatever Cevert's biography says about it, my memory is the opposite. But even I knew that you can't pass like that in two. You have an early apex in two, then in the middle of the turn the car moves out to the middle, then moves back in to the second apex right before the straight. I think I remember that they collided after the first apex and at the natural movement of the car to the middle of the track.

Edited by Dave Ware, 22 January 2013 - 15:46.

#12 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 21:17

You've read that book? great.

I've been trying to buy an english copy for decades but its always waaay out of my pricerange when I see a copy.

one day, I'll get it. :)