* * * - - 8 votes

Paddy Lowe to Mercedes?

• Please log in to reply
1085 replies to this topic

#501 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 19:26

Funny how he's changed his tune since the autumn. That speaks volumes about the situation, if you ask me.

Yep he did. It's shocking the press doesn't jump on him for flip flopping so much........

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104842

Asked whether he will rue Hamilton's departure from McLaren, Button said: "I'm not disappointed because there's always change.

"I'd be disappointed if Paddy Lowe moved from the team because that's the guy who's going to help me achieve in the future.

Advertisement

#502 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,415 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 19:29

Yep he did. It's shocking the press doesn't jump on him for flip flopping so much........

I can't remember who it was at the time (perhaps jjcale), but a poster mentioned that they thought the Paddy Lowe comment was a little strange and started to join the dots.

#503 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 21:53

Funny how he's changed his tune since the autumn. That speaks volumes about the situation, if you ask me.

All in all a bit of douchy thing to say, I'd imagine the engineers could very much say the same about him.

#504 dhill39

dhill39

• 418 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 22:17

Why would the british press jump on Jenson,he's one of theirs,Lewis however,would be crucified.

#505 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,854 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 22:27

Well I think Button... ....hold on a minute! Isn't this the Paddy Lowe to Mercedes thread?! How did we get onto bashing Button? :drunk:

#506 chumma

chumma

• 960 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 22:31

I think this thread could be closed now? Paddy is contracted to McLaren and will remain with the team for 2013...people still think hes going to merc (this) year?

#507 Craigster

Craigster

• 82 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 23:20

I think this thread could be closed now? Paddy is contracted to McLaren and will remain with the team for 2013...people still think hes going to merc (this) year?

Going by the article on the link at the top of this page it looks more likely that Ross and Nick are leaving than Paddy is joining.

Edited by Craigster, 01 February 2013 - 23:20.

#508 oetzi

oetzi

• 2,981 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 23:58

If you resign, your contract is not applicable anymore.

Yeah, whatever.

#509 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 00:02

Yeah, whatever.

I quite agree, its not quite that easy to get out of contracts like that.

#510 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,822 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:27

I would like to point out that the title of the thread isn't Paddy Lowe to Mercedes in 2013

#511 oetzi

oetzi

• 2,981 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:34

:up:

#512 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 908 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 17:25

If he invokes a termination clause in his contract to leave before it expires, then he will be subject to whatever items the clause contains - which is normally a lock out period before starting with a new team. Quite standard. However, he his contract simply times out - then he is free to do as he pleases. Either way, you will not be seeing him at Mercedes GP this year.

#513 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,414 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 22:45

Any update on this story?

#514 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 22:59

Any update on this story?

Nope

#515 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 23:07

goes well with Bottas words that Red Bull, McLaren and Lotus are the best at the moment...but everything could change next week. Rosberg said to TS that he thinks they will win more races this year but they are not among the top teams yet and more work is needed but they are definately a lot closer than they were at the end of last season.

Toto Wolf was interviewed by finnish television and he said MGP is really interested about Paddy Lowe with big smile...so will see what happends with that in the future.

#516 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,518 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:30

The Guardian is reporting today as fact that he's moving to Mercedes at the end of the year:

http://www.guardian....edes-f1-mclaren

Paddy Lowe, McLaren's technical director, will not travel to Melbourne with the team for the opening Formula One race of the season on 17 March and will join Mercedes at the end of the year.

Last month, the Mercedes team principal, Ross Brawn, responding to questions about his own future with the German team, said Lowe would not be joining as long as he remained in charge.

He said: "Paddy is not coming. I want to see how things go before I make a final long-term commitment. If I choose to leave the team then Paddy will come. We've got a plan. We have a fall-back plan. It's as simple as that."

But Lowe's rumoured move to Mercedes is a done deal. He will join the team in time to oversee the massive changes for 2014, when the engines will downsize from V8s to V6 1.6 litre turbo charged units.

Lowe's arrival will not necessarily lead to Brawn's departure. It now seems that tensions between Brawn and the team's new non-executive chairman, the occasionally fractious Niki Lauda, have eased under the calming influence of Toto Wolff, who joined Mercedes as the director of motorsport from Williams at the start of the year, replacing Norbert Haug, and has since battled to establish stability.

That has been his repeated theme. Wolff recognises that his arrival, together with that of Lauda and Lewis Hamilton, has created enough turbulence at the team's Brackley headquarters.

Lowe will continue to be employed by McLaren through 2013, in accordance with his contract. But he is not expected to be seen around the team and will take what is commonly referred to as "gardening leave." The last thing McLaren want is Lowe taking their secrets to Mercedes.

However the future of Brawn will remain the subject of speculation. He will be 60 next year and unless Mercedes make significant progress by then he is likely to move on, with Lowe taking charge of operations.

Brawn is a wealthy man. He has also enjoyed monumental success, first with Benetton, then Ferrari and then with his own Brawn GP team, which Mercedes took over at the end of 2009. He has nothing to prove.

When Mercedes moved in, Brawn and the chief executive officer, Nick Fry, sold their shares. Lauda's share ownership amounts to 10%. But Wolff, with 30%, is the dominant figure.

The departure of Lowe is another blow for McLaren, who had already lost their star driver, Hamilton, to the same team.McLaren are under immense pressure to produce this year. They started and finished 2012 with the quickest car, which was also often the best in the course of the season.

They also had Hamilton, the fastest man in F1 and driving at the peak of his powers. Yet they contrived not to win either the drivers' or the constructors' championship and also to lose the services of the man who remains the sport's top box-office attraction.

McLaren also have a headache with their engine supplier, Mercedes. Next year Mercedes, making their own engines, will have a massive advantage and so will Ferrari and Red Bull (Renault).

McLaren will consider another engine option in 2014 or 2015. And that could well mean a return to Honda, renewing a partnership that served them so well in the era of Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost.

#517 cooper

cooper

• 388 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:30

The Guardian claim Paddy Lowe's rumoured move from McLaren to Mercedes for 2014 is a done deal: Via F1Fanatic twitter - link here

#518 keiichi

keiichi

• 292 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:37

How reliable is The Guardian regarding F1? It's an interesting read, specially regarding what lies ahead in the future of Mclaren if this happens to be true.

#519 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:39

Bad move

Advertisement

#520 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:04

He's going to have an alienating 12 months ahead o him. I can only imagine what the cold shoulders of Ron Dennis look like once you decide to leave his nest, especially if you're fleeing it for the same team a recent protege of his joined.

#521 keiichi

keiichi

• 292 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:05

I've already commented this article in another thread, and for me, the most interesting thing is what may lie ahead for Mclaren without Paddy and possibly without Mercedes engines.

For 2014, with a major rules change, if they don't get a competitive technical director and a competitive engine, they might find themselves in serious trouble.

That said, for 50 years now, Mclaren as basically always been a top team, so personally I don't think that's about to change.

#522 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:09

For 2014, with a major rules change, if they don't get a competitive technical director and a competitive engine, they might find themselves in serious trouble.

Isn't given that they will run a Merc engine next year. I can't imagine them deciding to develop a new engine this late - that is unless they aren't already secretly working on one already.

#523 keiichi

keiichi

• 292 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:14

Isn't given that they will run a Merc engine next year. I can't imagine them deciding to develop a new engine this late - that is unless they aren't already secretly working on one already.

I wasn't saying they wouldn't have a Mercedes engine for 2014. It's just that I think I've read somewhere that it still isn't confirmed, and in that way, I was just imagining a worst case scenario.

Engine talk apart, losing your technical director (and a good one for that matter) on the verge of a major rules change seems a very serious blow to me.

#524 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,203 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:15

He's going to have an alienating 12 months ahead o him. I can only imagine what the cold shoulders of Ron Dennis look like once you decide to leave his nest, especially if you're fleeing it for the same team a recent protege of his joined.

Personally, I think it's Dennis and mclaren who seem to be alienated. They seem to have won few friends and lost many

#525 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:20

Engine is key 2014, 2015 aero will become an increasing factor.

Good move from Mercedes should it happen.

#526 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:22

It must be tough going for Paddy, Ron is very vindictive. Things won't get any easier for poor Paddy from now on @ Mclaren, if the story is true and I hope it is...

#527 windtravels

windtravels

• 901 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:24

Engine is key 2014, 2015 aero will become an increasing factor.

Good move from Mercedes should it happen.

Im sure aero will still be key in 2014, but engines will matter more than the last number of years thats for sure.

#528 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:25

if its true, I certainly won't like working under those conditions. But won't McLaren still need him for things like the development program for the MP-28 and so on, or will they totally freeze him out. this might hurt them as much as it alienates him.

by the way how much credit can one give to the Guardian as a source??

#529 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:34

if its true, I certainly won't like working under those conditions. But won't McLaren still need him for things like the development program for the MP-28 and so on, or will they totally freeze him out. this might hurt them as much as it alienates him.

I have no idea about how Credible the Guardian is, responses will be much appreciated from the inhabitants of the UK.
I think if we don't hear denials from Mclaren, Merc etc then it must be true. If this is a credible leaked story then Niki and Bernie are my top suspects...

Edited by femi, 25 February 2013 - 12:35.

#530 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,203 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:37

I have no idea about how Credible the Guardian is, responses will be much appreciated from the inhabitants of the UK.
I think if we don't hear denials from Mclaren, Merc etc then it must be true. If this is a credible leaked story then Niki and Bernie are my top suspects...

It's not a tabloid, known for news rather than sport which makes me think its reliable. They don't usually print gossip or rumours.

#531 keiichi

keiichi

• 292 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:40

Apparently Mercedes declined to comment on this when Sky contacted them. I think we may be on to something here...

http://www1.skysport...ercedes-in-2014

#532 Elissa

Elissa

• 220 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:43

Very unlikely for the Guardian to make something up, they may have an incorrect 'source' which would lead them astray, they wouldn't print this story though on the basis of gossip.

#533 peroa

peroa

• 8,897 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:43

Nothing new there, Paddy probably wasn't close to a mclaren computer since before christmas, that's what gardening leaves are for, guys.

#534 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,629 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:47

Always good to reference the original article:
http://www.guardian....edes-f1-mclaren

#535 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:48

It's not a tabloid, known for news rather than sport which makes me think its reliable. They don't usually print gossip or rumours.

But then it's puzzling that the BBC hasn't run an article about how on the money they were once more..

#536 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,092 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:48

if its true, I certainly won't like working under those conditions. But won't McLaren still need him for things like the development program for the MP-28 and so on, or will they totally freeze him out.

I wondered the exact thing about in-year car development. That does conjure images of all McLaren personnel flinging themselves across their desks and eyeing Lowe suspiciously for a whole year, though.

From memory, Paul Weaver's usual F1 stuff is providing nicely written thoughts and speculations about the drivers or covering events that are already known. I can't recall him bringing much in the way of scoops before like, say, Tom Cary of The Telegraph does from time to time. But he sounds pretty sure here. It's more usual for the British press to leave themselves more room than this for future denials if they're just going on speculation.

Edited by SophieB, 25 February 2013 - 12:49.

#537 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:49

if this is true. I see Boullier going through the small print in James Allison's contract as we speak :)

#538 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:50

Paddy wasn't seen at Jerez or Barcelona, Im not sure if thats unusual?

#539 Burtros

Burtros

• 1,017 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:50

If it is true McLaren need to start asking some really deep and difficult questions IMHO. Why do so many of their key personell look to leave all of a sudden?

As for Mercedes, another good signing. I do believe in the saying 'too many cheifs and not enough indians' though. Merc must be planning to loose some people because they seem to have a very top heavy management structure.

Advertisement

#540 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,579 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:54

But then it's puzzling that the BBC hasn't run an article about how on the money they were once more..

They might have different sources. The BBC wouldn't run an article confirming they're right just because they've seen it confirmed in the Guardian.

#541 keiichi

keiichi

• 292 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:56

if this is true. I see Boullier going through the small print in James Allison's contract as we speak :)

I'm with you. If Paddy is going, I would have Allison as a very strong candidate to replace him.

If it is true McLaren need to start asking some really deep and difficult questions IMHO. Why do so many of their key personell look to leave all of a sudden?

As for Mercedes, another good signing. I do believe in the saying 'too many cheifs and not enough indians' though. Merc must be planning to loose some people because they seem to have a very top heavy management structure.

I understand what you're saying, but somehow I don't think that it would hurt them. Still you are probably correct to assume that they may be loosing some people.

#542 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:59

I think it's clear Nick Fry is gonzo and it would appear Ross Brawn would depart as well.
Can't get any more senior than that.

#543 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,092 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:01

They might have different sources. The BBC wouldn't run an article confirming they're right just because they've seen it confirmed in the Guardian.

Indeed. I presume that Agent EJ has been despatched and is eagerly ferreting about even as we speak!

#544 F1EC

F1EC

• 863 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:07

I wonder when Lowe and Mercedes started talking? Back in October, when Paddy Lowe was asked whether the engine manufacturers would have an advantage over their customers in 2014, he said yes - they would. I thought it a little odd that someone from McLaren was being so honest, although as a Hamilton fan I was pleased to hear that Lewis had made a good tactical move.
I wonder if Paddy Lowe was already talking up Mercedes at that point, or simply being honest?

#545 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:10

I wonder when Lowe and Mercedes started talking? Back in October, when Paddy Lowe was asked whether the engine manufacturers would have an advantage over their customers in 2014, he said yes - they would. I thought it a little odd that someone from McLaren was being so honest, although as a Hamilton fan I was pleased to hear that Lewis had made a good tactical move.
I wonder if Paddy Lowe was already talking up Mercedes at that point, or simply being honest?

Question is, who else is Lowe talking to? I hardly think it is only Mercedes.

#546 F1EC

F1EC

• 863 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:11

Question is, who else is Lowe talking to? I hardly think it is only Mercedes.

True.

#547 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:13

True.

Am sure I read somewhere that he was talking to Williams when Toto was still ivolved with them as far as September. Will post the article if I can locate it

#548 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:15

Who else can afford him?

#549 MP422

MP422

• 1,810 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:18

Nice, good news for Merc.

#550 Coral

Coral

• 2,749 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:26

What is it with McLaren and their inability to hold on to their staff?! At this rate the only people who will be left at McLaren will be Whitmarsh and Button. They can have a cosy little love-nest all to themselves... :p  ;)

I just wonder what Lewis thinks about it!