* * * - - 8 votes

Paddy Lowe to Mercedes?

• Please log in to reply
1085 replies to this topic

#751 McRules

McRules

• 173 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:17

I don't think Brawn would leave especially when he knows that a good car is in pipeline. Classic example would be Brawn GP. Soon after 2009 he knew what he had for 2010 and sold his shares to Mercedes. I see a few parallels to that situation this year, even there was so much rucus at the top management, he put his foot down. I don't think he would have done if they've developed an uncompetitive car.
So if this year goes well, and if they have a good development in pipeline for next year Brawn is staying no matter what.And if Paddy comes in, i'm sure they will find a position for him.

Advertisement

#752 Owen

Owen

• 10,275 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:24

Lovin the media reporting of this 'story'

BBC: Ross Brawn expected to leave Mercedes after Paddy Lowe joins

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/21571627

Autosport: Mercedes' Lowe deal no threat to Brawn, insists Lauda

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/105713

eventually the truth will out

confused.com :lol:

#753 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 7,047 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:54

:up: :up:

I agree -

I think McLaren have made the decision for Paddy to leave rather than the other way around (much like Hamilton). Paddy was looking around at Williams and I suspect other teams, he was thinking of leaving McLaren - looks like in the end he may have been pushed.

I am not 100% convinced he will turn up at Mercedes. I think there is a chance he could go to Williams or even Lotus.

I don't think Paddy has signed a deal with Mercedes yet.

But didn't Ross Brawn state that Paddy Lowe was part of his succession plan, making a link albeit perhaps tentative one between Paddy and Mercedes?

#754 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,449 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 13:05

^ Yes.

I think it's clear he is going to Mercedes. And I don't see any evidence to support the notion he was 'pushed'.

#755 study

study

• 2,067 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 13:32

^ Yes.

I think it's clear he is going to Mercedes. And I don't see any evidence to support the notion he was 'pushed'.

Well this is easy to decide. If he was pushed, there would be no gardening leave not unless he was given a substantial pay-off to sit and do nothing.

#756 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 13,451 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 13:36

In 97? You’re having a giggle Sean. I am old enough to remember the furore around him leaving Williams for Mclaren, and the issue over the wing; they had nothing even slightly similar. Newey then gets ousted on Gardening leave from Williams, then, all of a sudden, Mclaren have a nice shiny new facsimile of the Williams front wing. I am utterly convinced people aren’t that naive to think there’s not already been contact between the technical team of Mercedes and PL. He’s committed to leaving Mclaren, has been slighted by Whitmarsh, discussing Goss’s loyalty and saying nothing about Lowe. Lowe will have an awful lot if information, being the Technical Head of Mclaren, on the 27/28 and 29, of that I am convinced. I am also convinced Mercedes will not have to wait until 2014 to benefit from that.

You're relying on your memory from 16 years ago. I actually looked it up.

#757 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,863 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 14:00

Well this is easy to decide. If he was pushed, there would be no gardening leave not unless he was given a substantial pay-off to sit and do nothing.

Isn't that the definition of gardening leave?

#758 Lokt

Lokt

• 457 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 14:24

Isn't that the definition of gardening leave?

It kinda is, exactly that :p

#759 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,353 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 14:37

Your wrong.

Lowe contract was up, McLaren couldn't afford to keep him, just like they couldn't afford to keep Hamilton. (Well I think they could have if managed the budget correctly e.g. Button was given a big pay rise 12 months ago and Hamilton publically asked to take a pay cut, the priorities are all wrong).

Lowe to Mercedes is confirmed.

When I posted, Lowe to Mercedes was not confirmed. McLaren had confirmed Lowe was leaving, but Mercedes declined to comment. Lauda was surprised McLaren had announced it - not sure if it's because of McLaren's super speedy PR team, or that the deal with Lowe wasn't fully in place yet.

I didn't mean pushed as in forced to leave, I meant he was forced to make a decision - or the time lapsed for that decision to be made. I think the Lowe-Mercedes discussions in January made his position within McLaren untenable.. He had to commit to McLaren long term or confirm he was moving elsewhere. Recently McLaren like the pre text of 'we only want people who bleed McLaren" and "we offered him the most competitive salary in F1" and celebrating the promotions i.e. Goss, Perez to bury the bad news & appear like the wronged party. For a team that values it's morals above financial rewards, it's somewhat surprising that they don't understand it's not just about money or being the best paid x in F1- but instead about respect, a new challenge, more responsibility etc.

It's interesting how this is being played out very publicly rather than quietly, amicably behind closed doors. No love lost it seems between Mercedes and McLaren, split on the horizon?

Edited by pinkypants, 26 February 2013 - 14:41.

Advertisement

#760 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,821 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 16:38

For a team that values it's morals above financial rewards, it's somewhat surprising that they don't understand it's not just about money or being the best paid x in F1- but instead about respect, a new challenge, more responsibility etc.

You got it right there, Mclaren value it's morals, not that of their employees.

F1 is not a rabbit hole for nice guys, both Ron Dennic and Bernie know it which is why they are the few people to have survived F1 for so long.

#761 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,532 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 16:50

In 97? You’re having a giggle Sean. I am old enough to remember the furore around him leaving Williams for Mclaren, and the issue over the wing; they had nothing even slightly similar. Newey then gets ousted on Gardening leave from Williams, then, all of a sudden, Mclaren have a nice shiny new facsimile of the Williams front wing. I am utterly convinced people aren’t that naive to think there’s not already been contact between the technical team of Mercedes and PL. He’s committed to leaving Mclaren, has been slighted by Whitmarsh, discussing Goss’s loyalty and saying nothing about Lowe. Lowe will have an awful lot if information, being the Technical Head of Mclaren, on the 27/28 and 29, of that I am convinced. I am also convinced Mercedes will not have to wait until 2014 to benefit from that.

Actually that is still BS. Not only because PL would be putting his own name and integrity at stake, of which you obviously do not know much about, but I hardly think that they, (Merc) need anything from Mc and especially PL to put theirs on the line, again something you obviously do not know or care about. Being cynical about it does not make your pov right. So again. that's just pure BS.

#762 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,353 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 17:02

Some interesting comments on JA's blog -

Why Brawn could be leaving:

"56. Posted By: Adrian Newey Jnr
James – Lauda has always been close to Bernard, particularly since he finished racing. Is there any insight as to whether his appointment at Mercedes has been masterminded by Bernard, perhaps due to displeasure with the pre-2013 era management? Perhaps due to problems negotiating the Concorde agreement? After all, if you believe Adam Parr, this is why he was forced out of Williams.

James Allen Reply: February 26th, 2013 at 10:28 am
I think you might well be ‘warm’ as they say.."

Paddy Lowe's job role:

"Quade Reply: February 26th, 2013 at 2:03 am
Paddy Lowe might be taking over as Mercedes Technical Director or some other R&D post. If thats the case, then the sporting side of things which Brawn heads, will remain unthreathened.

Paddy Lowe might also be coming in to partner with Costa for the 2014 car. Remember its being developed in parallel, so Mercedes would effectively need two seperate teams running two very distinct programmes (giving the impression of being top heavy). If this is so, then the area to look out for future job losses will be within the 2013 car team. Again, Ross Brawn seats above that team, so won’t be affected.

James Allen Reply: February 26th, 2013 at 10:29 am
No, Paddy is moving up a level – to something similar to Brawn at Honda/Mercedes, or Bob Bell when he was briefly running Renault"

http://www.jamesalle...nical-director/

Edited by pinkypants, 26 February 2013 - 17:06.

#763 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,255 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 17:08

Lol. This was all done ages ago.

And gardening leave..... My arse.

You won't see Paddy Lowe swanning about the paddock in a Merc t-shirt anytime soon.... But a deal will have been hacked out where he can "engage" with his new team.

After all...... You'd always appreciate a bit of a discount...... And to find no swarf in your cylinder bores :smoking:

#764 Owen

Owen

• 10,275 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 17:10

So; Brawn. What happens there?
He stays this year and then knocks it on the head in the autumn or he carries on in charge of a sea of technical directors. :lol:

#765 peroa

peroa

• 8,627 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 17:26

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
Questions over what changes if any to be made to senior technical team. Mercedes won't admit to Lowe's arrival for some time. Don't know why
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
1 min Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
Lowe unlikely to be called "team principal" but that's de facto what he will be - more senior than technical director contd
Expand
2 mins Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
Neither will Nick Fry. Don't know when each will leave, assuming sources are correct. Don't know Lowe's exact job title contd
Expand
4 mins Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
Lowe's position will be to run the sporting and technical aspects of team; Toto Wolff does the rest. Brawn, I'm told, "won't stay"... Contd
Expand
5 mins Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
There have been a few questions about the Brawn/Lowe situation so let me explain it as I understand it. Lowe joins Mercedes in 2014... Contd

#766 metz

metz

• 9,590 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 17:35

And do Paddy & Lewis get on?

Paddy lied his ass off for Lewis, to the stewards.
Paddy got suspended. Not Lewis.
Hamilton owes him big time.

#767 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,532 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 17:40

Questions over what changes if any to be made to senior technical team. Mercedes won't admit to Lowe's arrival for some time. Don't know why
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
1 min Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
Lowe unlikely to be called "team principal" but that's de facto what he will be - more senior than technical director contd
Expand
2 mins Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
Neither will Nick Fry. Don't know when each will leave, assuming sources are correct. Don't know Lowe's exact job title contd
Expand
4 mins Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
Lowe's position will be to run the sporting and technical aspects of team; Toto Wolff does the rest. Brawn, I'm told, "won't stay"... Contd
Expand
5 mins Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
There have been a few questions about the Brawn/Lowe situation so let me explain it as I understand it. Lowe joins Mercedes in 2014... Contd

This guy is so dumb it hurts. If Lowe comes, Brawn goes. That is fairly sane to assume. The rest he pulled out of his behind. He chain-tweets it??? "let me explain"??? LOL

#768 peroa

peroa

• 8,627 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 17:43

lol, wut?

#769 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,353 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 17:44

http://www.youtube.c...e=results_video

3 down, whose next :)

#770 peroa

peroa

• 8,627 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 17:49

That's the situation as of now, as I'm told it by people very close to it. That's all I can say on the matter

#771 Hairy

Hairy

• 299 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:00

You're relying on your memory from 16 years ago. I actually looked it up.

Not relying on memory at all, I am relying on old copies of Autosport and old books. It was outrageous at the time, but nothing was done about it. Alost a facimile of the WIlliams wing, from the dominant FW18 (that part from memory).

Actually that is still BS. Not only because PL would be putting his own name and integrity at stake, of which you obviously do not know much about, but I hardly think that they, (Merc) need anything from Mc and especially PL to put theirs on the line, again something you obviously do not know or care about. Being cynical about it does not make your pov right. So again. that's just pure BS.

Hang on, so as I am speculating, according to you, so I am talking BS, but you are speculating too, and that isn't? OK then.

Are you genuinely, honestly, that niave? This is F1, this is where there is, and, pretty much always has been, a win at all costs mentality. Lowe has been ostracised by his 'current' employer, and if you think, honestly, that he'll spend the time, without being in communication with his future employees, well, I have some magic beans I'd like to sell you. Lowe's integrity has been shipped up to Brackley. If you think otherwise, as I said, I have some magic beans, and a goose that lays golden eggs you can buy off me. :rotfl:

Edit: If Lowe could bring 1/10th to the team, Merc would take it. As would Mclaren if the roles were reversed. They also have form, or do you forget? This has been part of F1 for longer than the 35 years I have been watching it.

Edited by Hairy, 26 February 2013 - 18:04.

#772 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:35

Not relying on memory at all, I am relying on old copies of Autosport and old books. It was outrageous at the time, but nothing was done about it. Alost a facimile of the WIlliams wing, from the dominant FW18 (that part from memory).

Hang on, so as I am speculating, according to you, so I am talking BS, but you are speculating too, and that isn't? OK then.

Are you genuinely, honestly, that niave? This is F1, this is where there is, and, pretty much always has been, a win at all costs mentality. Lowe has been ostracised by his 'current' employer, and if you think, honestly, that he'll spend the time, without being in communication with his future employees, well, I have some magic beans I'd like to sell you. Lowe's integrity has been shipped up to Brackley. If you think otherwise, as I said, I have some magic beans, and a goose that lays golden eggs you can buy off me. :rotfl:

Edit: If Lowe could bring 1/10th to the team, Merc would take it. As would Mclaren if the roles were reversed. They also have form, or do you forget? This has been part of F1 for longer than the 35 years I have been watching it.

It has been going on in GP racing for exactly 100 years design of the 1913 GP Peugeot was taken by it's designer Ernest Henry and its developer-driver Edouard Ballot to become the 1914 Humber TT racer (at least they had the decency to build the engine as a mirror image) then Ballot built version of the car under his own name. Then of course in the 1970s we had the mass defection from Shadow to form Arrows.

That doesn’t alter the fact this upheaval at the top can only be damaging to functioning of the team.

#773 femi

femi

• 6,072 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:40

This story was niot leaked by Merc. Now why would Mclaren leak this story at this time? It could be any or combination of the following:
1. It is bound to come out sooner or later. They want it dealt with now than having it break out during a tough racing season - They don't want this to be a distraction later...
2. To embarrass Merc by signalling to LH that Merc were not on the level with him as he thought or expected i.e. an attempt to introduce a fracture no matter how small into LH / Merc relationship.
3. Let all Mclaren staff know why they are turning Paddy into a sitting duck for the rest of the season. They can't announce that in a staff meeting and hope to keep it quiet.
4. Maybe more ....

NOTE: all the above are pure specualtions.

Edited by femi, 26 February 2013 - 18:41.

#774 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,311 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:15

:rotfl: Merc Have so much bad DNA in the team left over from the Honda era, its going to take more than Hamilton and Lowe, and the rest of the recruits to fix the problems.
Hell it could take a generation of trying really hard to fix a bad team CORE's quality's.

Where do you get your information from, I mean you say this with such authority it must be true... I sort of see what you're saying but there were massive cuts to staff in '09 and I doubt there have been the same fixed engineering team since then. What is clear is that Merc are going through a big change in thinking and organisation, will it work? I'm inclined to say it won't.

Lewis should have stayed at McLaren and we'd all be happy but no, now I have to support a team with imo the worst driver line up of the top 5 teams and I support a driver who is with a team destined to fail. All just opinions and guesswork of course.

#775 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,532 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:31

Where do you get your information from, I mean you say this with such authority it must be true... I sort of see what you're saying but there were massive cuts to staff in '09 and I doubt there have been the same fixed engineering team since then. What is clear is that Merc are going through a big change in thinking and organisation, will it work? I'm inclined to say it won't.

Lewis should have stayed at McLaren and we'd all be happy but no, now I have to support a team with imo the worst driver line up of the top 5 teams and I support a driver who is with a team destined to fail. All just opinions and guesswork of course.

Why did Fry leave Mc? Why did LH decide to leave them? Why did PL decide he wants out? How come Iley is not there anymore? I am sure Newey was forced out of the team at a gunpoint.

#776 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:33

You don't have to "support" any team millions of us just follow the sport we love F1, football fan mentality has crept into F1 in the Ecclestone era.

#777 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,255 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:38

Eh?

#778 eronrules

eronrules

• 2,915 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:47

it was Dave ryan, then mclaren sporting director who was suspended and later sacked by Mclaren. why would paddy take racing decisions??? he's a TD, not strategy guy.

BBC sprots: I am not a liar, insists Hamilton (link)

P.S it's funny that even back then, there were rumors of Lewis leaving the team :p

BTw, has anyone read the lates 'not the F1 news' article on PF1 ..... :rotfl:

Following Paddy Lowe's defection to Mercedes, the McLaren team have asked Jenson Button NOT to mention any team members that he might miss if they left. Asked last year by Autosport if Lewis Hamilton going to Mercedes was a blow Jenson said no, but "I'd be disappointed if Paddy Lowe moved from the team because that's the guy who's going to help me achieve in the future."

Although he is allowed to mention Sam Michael...

Edited by eronrules, 26 February 2013 - 20:14.

#779 SirT

SirT

• 117 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:24

Seeing as Lauda loves the Red Bull set up I think Wolff/Lowe is his Mercedes version of Horner/Newey.

Maybe Brawn will stick around for 2014 if things go very well this year and he gets the very best out of Lewis.

I am sad that Brawn is being eased out but Paddy Lowe is a great coup for Mercedes.

Advertisement

#780 Owen

Owen

• 10,275 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:37

McLaren's take on this;
http://uk.reuters.co...E91P0PD20130226

#781 amppatel

amppatel

• 427 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:41

Seeing as Lauda loves the Red Bull set up I think Wolff/Lowe is his Mercedes version of Horner/Newey.

Maybe Brawn will stick around for 2014 if things go very well this year and he gets the very best out of Lewis.

I am sad that Brawn is being eased out but Paddy Lowe is a great coup for Mercedes.

But surely not as a TP? If PL takes over from Brawn that IMO would be a step down - really good scientists/engineers rarely make good leaders!

#782 eronrules

eronrules

• 2,915 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:41

McLaren's take on this;

you can tell the article is in .MPRB (mclaren PR babble) format :p

what else do you expect them to say in these media-savvy era of F1.

But surely not as a TP? If PL takes over from Brawn that IMO would be a step down - really good scientists/engineers rarely make good leaders!

of which Ross Brawn is one. but i expect ross to stay, it'll be media disaster for MGP to let him go, and TBH, MGP hasn't made nearly a tenth of the strategy blunders that Mclaren has made in last 4 years. but i also expect to see ross to be sidelined from any technical input, he'll not have any say interms of development. but perhaps that's for the better.

Edited by eronrules, 26 February 2013 - 20:44.

#783 Owen

Owen

• 10,275 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:44

I'm not sure it plays to Paddys strengths, but I guess it's what he wants.

#784 P123

P123

• 7,406 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:47

McLaren's take on this;

McLaren will be fine. In recent years they've lost Newey, Tombazis (twice?), Fry (and all he took with him) and Iley and they still remain a winning team. Merc may be hiring some top technical staff, but what are they doing about the rest of the organisation? A few names won't solve their problem of consistant underachievement.

#785 amppatel

amppatel

• 427 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:47

you can tell the article is in .MPRB (mclaren PR babble) format :p

what else do you expect them to say in these media-savvy era of F1.

of which Ross Brawn is one. but i expect ross to stay, it'll be media disaster for MGP to let him go, and TBH, MGP hasn't made nearly a tenth of the strategy blunders that Mclaren has made in last 4 years. but i also expect to see ross to be sidelined from any technical input, he'll not have any say interms of development. but perhaps that's for the better.

I don't think he has any 'real' university qualifications, he has always been a practical engineer - gaining knowledge in the field.

I'm not sure it plays to Paddys strengths, but I guess it's what he wants.

But it's not about what he wants!

#786 eronrules

eronrules

• 2,915 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:48

http://www.planetf1....e-sporting-side

When asked by the official Formula One website about the expression 'too many cooks spoil the broth', he replied: "Ha, it can be a problem if everybody tries to do the same thing! (laughs).

"It is important to have clear areas of responsibility. I am responsible for the sporting side; running the team on an operational level. If we can maintain that then there will not be a problem."

"I think it makes you more ambitious - hungrier to get back to that feeling that you had when you were successful," he said.

"Formula One is an incredibly challenging business and one has to be right on several levels to achieve success. We convinced Lewis (Hamilton) to join us, and we put in place a very good technical line-up during 2012 - and the car we've got now is reflecting that.

"It just takes some time to recognize what you have to do; that the corrections that you have to make and the solutions that you have to put in place are a 12- to 18-month process - in any team. Yes, it has been frustrating, but I genuinely feel that we are going in the right direction."

#787 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,415 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:51

Based on what I've seen, which surmounts to very little, Ross and Lewis seem to have genuine rapport. I don't think Lewis would want Ross to leave.

#788 Owen

Owen

• 10,275 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:51

But it's not about what he wants!

Well how else is he gonna swap teams if u can't offer him something he wants?! :confused:

#789 amppatel

amppatel

• 427 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:53

Based on what I've seen, which surmounts to very little, Ross and Lewis seem to have genuine rapport. I don't think Lewis would want Ross to leave.

+1

Well how else is he gonna swap teams if u can't offer him something he wants?! :confused:

I guess you might be right, but they could also offer him a shit load of money!

#790 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,113 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:58

McLaren's take on this;

I think departure of such big names like Lewis and Paddy will motivate everyone in the team even more than ever to have success. Paddy's departure also gave some talented guys a chance to step up and show their skills

#791 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,113 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 21:02

McLaren will be fine. In recent years they've lost Newey, Tombazis (twice?), Fry (and all he took with him) and Iley and they still remain a winning team. Merc may be hiring some top technical staff, but what are they doing about the rest of the organisation? A few names won't solve their problem of consistant underachievement.

I hope they will have more problems in the future. They think hiring top names from other teams will make their rival weaker and make themselves stronger but history showed that things are not that simple in Formula 1. Red Bull does not have lots of top names in their organization, they have only one man Adrian Newey but look where they are now with the right people in place and strong organization.

#792 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,532 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 21:20

I hope they will have more problems in the future. They think hiring top names from other teams will make their rival weaker and make themselves stronger but history showed that things are not that simple in Formula 1. Red Bull does not have lots of top names in their organization, they have only one man Adrian Newey but look where they are now with the right people in place and strong organization.

Do they now? I don't think so.
On the other hand, history shows the opposite. If you only take RB and Ferrari, they are two of the most dominant teams in the past 20 years of F1, Honda could have been too, with the occasional Renault and Mclaren wins. So this History thingy: I wouldn't force that topic too much. Personally, I am not that happy about PL arriving, especially if that means Brawn is out. Not because the past 6 years engineers leaving Mc have underperformed anywhere they went to, but because I rate Brawn much higher ab ovo. What is this friggin' exodus from Mc the past years anyway? Very dumb move from Lauda if he was forcing this. He is destabilizing a team on the up in the worst possible time. He(or Wolff, I don't know) may just have cooked the team until 2015, which is the first year PL could have an impact on any serious technical matter. Real dumbass move, IMHO, whomever decided on it. May be possible though that Brawn is ill,(he had heart problems last summer no?) and PL is brought in to give him leeway on a transitional retirement process.

Edited by Szoelloe, 26 February 2013 - 21:21.

#793 Owen

Owen

• 10,275 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 21:25

+1

If that's all they have to offer then good luck to both Paddy and Merc GP. I rather think the 'team principal' type role is what tempted him though. But who knows. not me.

#794 SirT

SirT

• 117 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 21:38

I think Wolff will be TP and Lowe will be his first in command. Like the Horner/Newey leadership at Red Bull.

I think if Merc do well in 2013 and Lewis hits it off with Ross and they achieve some good wins then maybe Brawn will stay for 2014 aswell and Wolff will stick with his current role until 2015.

#795 Owen

Owen

• 10,275 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 22:13

Amppatel, you are onto something...
http://is.gd/0fOA2U

#796 amppatel

amppatel

• 427 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 22:20

Amppatel, you are onto something...
http://is.gd/0fOA2U

Hopefully that will mean not a promotion just a hike in pay - which means RB will stay put!

#797 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,311 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 22:43

Merc are trying to BUY success. So far they've poached some big names, but it's going to take time to build the team up. I don't think 2014's regs mean that they will mean be competitive.

This kind of situation happens in all types of corporations. It's happened in our workplace and existing staff got promoted and did well. Goss can now show what he's capable of, and I think he will do just fine. No doom and gloom here, onwards and upwards.

If you think any team in F1 gets success for free you are massively mistaken! Every team that has ever been successful has 'bought' that success, do you think McLaren or Ferrari spend nothing? Or RBR have a tiny budget? The front runner spend grotesque amounts of cash on every car they build, if they didn't they'd in the middle of the pack. Let's not pretend it's Merc acting out of character for an F1 team here.

#798 carlb5253

carlb5253

• 485 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 22:51

http://www1.skysport...ould-not-refuse

Lowe on a telephone number salary according the Neale, looks like Merc are in F1 to stay.

They are going to be a team to be reckoned with.

#799 MP422

MP422

• 1,631 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 23:10

McLaren's take on this;

Last paragraph in this article contradicts some of the opinions on PL and Merc.

"In the market place at the moment, if you've a team and you want to go out and buy some short-term know-how then you can pay telephone number salaries. If that's what your business model is. From time to time we have all done it."

Advertisement

#800 slmk

slmk

• 3,921 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 23:14

A problem shared by McLaren, FYI. Of the two teams, Mercedes/Brawn has been the winningest of the two in the past 4 seasons, since the regs change. You will probably counter with the number of wins/poles from McLaren, but still, no WDC/WCC to show for. They had the fastest car in 2012 and finished third in the WCC - that alone is enough underachievement for a while!