Paddy Lowe to Mercedes?

• Please log in to reply
1085 replies to this topic

#1051 eddie66

eddie66

• 101 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 14:20

...that was denied about a week ago.

in-season testing was no permitted 4 weeks ago...

Advertisement

#1052 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,144 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 14:26

:p

in-season testing was no permitted 4 weeks ago...

:rotfl:
touché

#1053 pup

pup

• 435 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 14:34

Obviously I give those people little more credit on IQ side, than some of you. That's fine, no harm done.

Not a question of IQ. My opinion is that Wolf joined Merc after having been told by Lauda and the Merc board that the team needed a top to bottom shakeup. So I'm betting that he came in thinking that Ross needed to go. He reportedly had a handshake deal with Lowe already for Williams, so he surely knew he could get Lowe at Merc to replace Brawn, but probably needed to do so quickly before Williams and Lowe signed a contract. The problem is that after the deal was signed and Wolf got settled into Merc, I think he realized that Ross wasn't the problem and that he and the board had been sold a bill of goods by Lauda. So he ended up with two team principals in essence, both under contract for huge sums. I think Lauda was gunning either Ross' or Haug's job. I expect to see him in a very diminished role next year.

All just gut feeling for the situation of course, but I think it makes sense.

#1054 Lazy

Lazy

• 4,608 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 14:35

If you believe that article, than I suggest we meet; I have a bridge in Brooklyn which I want to offload cheaply. Do you really believe that Lowe will quit a cushy job at McLaren without knowing what's on the other side of fence? Do you really believe that Mercedes will hire a guy with high income without having a plan?

If you have been following the story and can't read between the lines well enough to see that it is in fact perfectly credible, then maybe you're not as smart as you think, probably why you got lumbered with a bridge nobody wants too.

#1055 P123

P123

• 7,382 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 15:35

Not a question of IQ. My opinion is that Wolf joined Merc after having been told by Lauda and the Merc board that the team needed a top to bottom shakeup. So I'm betting that he came in thinking that Ross needed to go. He reportedly had a handshake deal with Lowe already for Williams, so he surely knew he could get Lowe at Merc to replace Brawn, but probably needed to do so quickly before Williams and Lowe signed a contract. The problem is that after the deal was signed and Wolf got settled into Merc, I think he realized that Ross wasn't the problem and that he and the board had been sold a bill of goods by Lauda. So he ended up with two team principals in essence, both under contract for huge sums. I think Lauda was gunning either Ross' or Haug's job. I expect to see him in a very diminished role next year.

Possible, but what credentials does Lowe have to be installed as a TP, to make it worth ousting Brawn for him?

#1056 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,144 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 16:18

That's an interesting angle, which I have not considered, I must admit to that. Mine was an assumption, that a plan exists, but it is not being shared. Simple as that. (Despite I genuinely dislike top heavy organizations, lets get this out of the way).

Initially I thought that Brawn will be subservient to Lowe, but then my belief changed with thinking they will split business into two segments, and on equal level will answer to Wolff. In some foreseeable future Brawn will want to retire, and Lowe will slot-in on expanded role. All speculation right now.

Edited by Sakae, 30 May 2013 - 16:20.

#1057 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,577 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 16:50

Posts deleted.

As Paddy Lowe's role (apparently) haven't been decided yet, way too early to be going off topic by getting annoyed at the possible new duties the thread might dream up for him.

#1058 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,852 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 23:41

Possible, but what credentials does Lowe have to be installed as a TP, to make it worth ousting Brawn for him?

I bet his credentials are a lot better than the likes of Briatore, and he seemed to do alright, until Singapore.

#1059 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 755 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:47

Paddy Lowe to attend his first race with Mercedes at Silverstone

Advertisement

#1060 molpid

molpid

• 200 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 15:52

Paddy Lowe to attend his first race with Mercedes at Silverstone

"It is a bonus because this is a particularly challenging time with the 2014 car," said Brawn.

"We want to get started, believe it or not, on the 2015 car and it is a period when all our resources have been stretched to the limit."

Lowe to work on the W06 ? [Sounds like that]

#1061 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,852 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 16:32

"It is a bonus because this is a particularly challenging time with the 2014 car," said Brawn.

"We want to get started, believe it or not, on the 2015 car and it is a period when all our resources have been stretched to the limit."

Lowe to work on the W06 ? [Sounds like that]

I find that a bit hard to believe. Can't see how anyone can seriously start any work on the 2015 car until they have seen how their 2014 car fares.

#1062 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 749 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 16:20

First image of Paddy Lowe in his Mercedes attire?

Posted Image

#1063 rileyl

rileyl

• 456 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 16:24

Posted Image

nice, Paddy pls fix Lewis's brake issues and the team's tyre issues!

#1064 R Soul

R Soul

• 523 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 16:25

I hope he's not discussing anything untoward with his Pirelli friend

#1065 xflow7

xflow7

• 2,987 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 16:45

I find that a bit hard to believe. Can't see how anyone can seriously start any work on the 2015 car until they have seen how their 2014 car fares.

I don't. In any schedule-driven development environment you are going to be confronted with the fact that you have far-reaching development ideas or goals that cannot be accomplished in time for the next milestone. This is especially true when you are undertaking a disruptive change. Thus you plan and execute what you can for the upcoming milestone and in parallel try to work on the longer-term items. There is no doubt risk that something you learn in the intervening time will require that you revisit some of what you did towards the longer term, but you have to take that risk to be there with the "next big thing."

#1066 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,652 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 17:46

Posted Image

Why is is that whenever someone leaves McLaren, they appear to experience instant hair growth, (my follically challenged favourite, driver the exception proving the rule) must be something in the water.

#1067 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,577 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 18:04

Was he always so tiny or is that just the camera perspective?

#1068 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 7,004 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 18:21

Was he always so tiny or is that just the camera perspective?

The camera angle makes Paddy look like a giant.

#1069 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 18:42

Why is is that whenever someone leaves McLaren, they appear to experience instant hair growth, (my follically challenged favourite, driver the exception proving the rule) must be something in the water.

They are no longer pulling it out because of the stress, caused by the super anal-retentive nature of those at the top.

#1070 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,577 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 18:55

Autosport: Paddy Lowe says no friction with Ross Brawn

"When I arrived on the Monday four weeks ago, the first person to greet me and spend an hour with a cup of coffee was Ross," said Lowe at the British Grand Prix on Friday, as he made his first appearance at an F1 race this year.

"He was genuinely delighted to see my arrival and get me stuck into the business. I think that will give you a sign that he is not threatened by my position.

#1071 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 19:50

As Pirelli affair settled as is, hard imagine that there is someone who argues that Ross is to go.

But Merc F1 is sending awful too much money on top end salaries, IMHO, now tat might be the problem.

IMHO, Ross to stay for long time, then who should go?

#1072 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 1,159 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 20:22

As Pirelli affair settled as is, hard imagine that there is someone who argues that Ross is to go.

But Merc F1 is sending awful too much money on top end salaries, IMHO, now tat might be the problem.

IMHO, Ross to stay for long time, then who should go?

I would love him to stay but I think he (Ross) is going to move on soon...( If he isn't pushed out) I think he wants to get the team on a stable footing as a frontrunner then he will bow out. There's really not much left for him to prove and he does love his fishing after all.

Id like to see how Paddy deals with sporting regs, f1 politics and all the bluster and brinksmanship that it entails as well as man management which includes sensitive driver egos.

I was skeptical at first but upon reflection Paddy probably deserves a fair shake so we will see.

#1073 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,144 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:31

I would love him to stay but I think he (Ross) is going to move on soon...( If he isn't pushed out) I think he wants to get the team on a stable footing as a frontrunner then he will bow out. There's really not much left for him to prove and he does love his fishing after all.

Id like to see how Paddy deals with sporting regs, f1 politics and all the bluster and brinksmanship that it entails as well as man management which includes sensitive driver egos.

I was skeptical at first but upon reflection Paddy probably deserves a fair shake so we will see.

Is retirement for him next after Brackley?

#1074 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 1,159 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 19:40

Is retirement for him next after Brackley?

I think it may be. The guy has indeed done it all and his management style is not the type that you will find in the f1 paddock too much anymore. He is old school and i really like that but i have to recognize that the times change.

I think it would be too much for him to take on another challenge in turning around a team. If he was to move to another team it would have to be an already top running team. The only turn around job i would see him attempting to take after Mercedes would be possibly working with Williams as a director of some sort with both Frank and him teaching Claire how to properly manage Williams F1.

Stranger things could happen though ... are Domenicali and Whitmarsh safe ? and would Ron and Montezemolo ever hire/ Re hire him to run their teams ?

#1075 Will

Will

• 2,951 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:35

No wonder Lewis suddenly seems happy again after qualifying, the Lewis Lowe master plan has finally come together!

1. Midway through 2012 Whitmarsh orders a complete redesign for next season to fit Button's needs as he can't drive the current car
2. Paddy realises this is the wrong way to go and has a word with his friend Toto re a Mercedes opening
3. Paddy (who is a Lewis fan according to pre 2011 quotes) has a quiet word with Lewis re his plans and Toto tells Lauda to get the board to sign Lewis.
4. Lewis signs for Mercedes
5. Paddy gets released from Mclaren
6. Lewis pretends that he much prefers having Brawn on board than Lowe to keep Brawn on board for his skills in management and regulation bending
7. Due to being surplus, Paddy get all the time he needs to work for Silverstone upgrades to suit Lewis
8. Mercedes do tyre test and get away with it.
9. Paddy comes on board officially in time for Silverstone
10. Lewis claims a dominant pole with a free flowing style, making references to feeling like 2007 (a car that Lowe designed that suited Lewis' style)

#1076 Fangiola

Fangiola

• 316 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:44

No wonder Lewis suddenly seems happy again after qualifying, the Lewis Lowe master plan has finally come together!

1. Midway through 2012 Whitmarsh orders a complete redesign for next season to fit Button's needs as he can't drive the current car
2. Paddy realises this is the wrong way to go and has a word with his friend Toto re a Mercedes opening
3. Paddy (who is a Lewis fan according to pre 2011 quotes) has a quiet word with Lewis re his plans and Toto tells Lauda to get the board to sign Lewis.
6. Lewis pretends that he much prefers having Brawn on board than Lowe to keep Brawn on board for his skills in management and regulation bending
7. Due to being surplus, Paddy get all the time he needs to work for Silverstone upgrades to suit Lewis
10. Lewis claims a dominant pole with a free flowing style, making references to feeling like 2007 (a car that Lowe designed that suited Lewis' style)

Stop listening to those inner voices. its not good

#1077 akshay380

akshay380

• 411 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:58

2007 was the car mostly designed by Newey.

#1078 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,652 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:06

Paddy Lowe interview with the Guardian:

http://www.guardian....y-lowe-mercedes

Explaination of his current role:

"My current role is executive director technical. Toto is my opposite number on the business side. The remit is a wider involvement in the strategy of the business than I would have had as a technical director."

#1079 quasi C

quasi C

• 1,986 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:28

4-22 was a Pat Fry car wasn't it? or are you referring to it being a legacy of the 4-20? I think also they had recruited some top aero guys from Renault during 2006 as Alonso switched over.

Edited by quasi C, 30 June 2013 - 11:28.

Advertisement

#1080 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,577 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:57

The BBC have story on their F1 section claiming that Ross Brawn wants to stay on at the team next year, despite Paddy coming aboard.

http://forums.autosp...?showuser=80892

We're in good shape for next year. I wouldn't want to miss the fun.

However, not necessarily as TP...

It is understood that the intention at Mercedes is for Brawn to stay on into next year but not necessarily in his current role.
Discussions about exactly what his role might be and how it will combine with those of Lowe and Wolff are expected to take place over the forthcoming weeks, now that Lowe has been in place for enough time to get a sense of the team's situation.
Lowe said: "Ross is team principal at the moment. We don't know how long he will want to remain team principal. Those plans aren't made.

#1081 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 597 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:00

Thought it was Ferrari

#1082 jjcale

jjcale

• 6,732 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:35

The BBC have story on their F1 section claiming that Ross Brawn wants to stay on at the team next year, despite Paddy coming aboard.

http://forums.autosp...?showuser=80892

However, not necessarily as TP...

I dont understand the desire to get rid of Brawn.... who else could have successfully pulled off a stunt like the "secret" tyre test.

If he leaves Merc I hope the goes to Macca after Whitmarsh is sacked at the end of this year .... yes, write it down. I am predicting Whitmarsh will be sacked by Macca - and probably at the end of this year.

#1083 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,516 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:13

I dont understand the desire to get rid of Brawn.... who else could have successfully pulled off a stunt like the "secret" tyre test.

If he leaves Merc I hope the goes to Macca after Whitmarsh is sacked at the end of this year .... yes, write it down. I am predicting Whitmarsh will be sacked by Macca - and probably at the end of this year.

I don't think there is any desire to remove Brawn. I think it is his own desire to go out on the high. Last season he missed a race because of heart problems. It is entirely possible that he wants to hand over as soon as he feels that he accomplished what he sees fit with Mercedes as a TP. All the noises Mercedes make indicate that they are are giving him freedom as to when he wants to step down, there seems to be no pressure. Its only the media keeping the story afloat. They have also stated more than once that they intend to keep him at the team after he steps down.

#1084 oldracer1957

oldracer1957

• 202 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:25

I never really understood the signing on Paddy Lowe (he just seemed helpless and lost last Sunday), nor did I really ever understand why Mercedes is trying to get rid of Ross Brawn either... :rolleyes:

#1085 MP422

MP422

• 1,612 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 19:09

I never really understood the signing on Paddy Lowe (he just seemed helpless and lost last Sunday), nor did I really ever understand why Mercedes is trying to get rid of Ross Brawn either... :rolleyes:

I highly doubt he is hopeless and lost.

#1086 jjcale

jjcale

• 6,732 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 20:10

I don't think there is any desire to remove Brawn. I think it is his own desire to go out on the high. Last season he missed a race because of heart problems. It is entirely possible that he wants to hand over as soon as he feels that he accomplished what he sees fit with Mercedes as a TP. All the noises Mercedes make indicate that they are are giving him freedom as to when he wants to step down, there seems to be no pressure. Its only the media keeping the story afloat. They have also stated more than once that they intend to keep him at the team after he steps down.

I hope you are right....