* * * - - 8 votes

Paddy Lowe to Mercedes?

• Please log in to reply
1085 replies to this topic

#51 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,793 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 21:28

Hey guys I'm just wondering. If this is true might he need to take gardening leave? Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet? Thanks!

Tends to be 6 months gardening leave, still a big IF at the moment though.

Advertisement

#52 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,034 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 21:32

Hey guys I'm just wondering. If this is true might he need to take gardening leave? Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet? Thanks!

:) It is a bit cold for gardening at the moment! Has he thought of that?

#53 TheSpecialOne

TheSpecialOne

• 105 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 21:45

Tends to be 6 months gardening leave, still a big IF at the moment though.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic as it has been mentioned in every single post so far. I'd also argue that any period of leave will already be written into his contract, so it's what that says, and not a day more. As no one has seen Paddy's contract, speculation seems a little pointless!

#54 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,793 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 22:05

Sorry, I was being sarcastic as it has been mentioned in every single post so far. I'd also argue that any period of leave will already be written into his contract, so it's what that says, and not a day more. As no one has seen Paddy's contract, speculation seems a little pointless!

No worries, I'm far too literal!

#55 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,178 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 22:13

I hope it is not true!

#56 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 22:22

You'd need an ultra widescreen monitor - Mercedes seem to be gunning for strength in breadth rather than depth. Question is will all the captains be steering in the same direction.

Makes one wonder if this is potentially a first mistake Lauda is just about to make in fortcoming chain of others yet to be committed, but, based on his record, nonetheless expected with high degree of probability for making some.

Edited by Sakae, 21 January 2013 - 22:26.

#57 TheSpecialOne

TheSpecialOne

• 105 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 22:23

No worries, I'm far too literal!

Thanks, meant no offence! I am excited by the possibility of this though. I do feel that Mercedes are certainly making the moves they need. As a poster alluded to earlier, perhaps Lewis was privy to this (and other things in the pipeline) that mean his move is becoming less of a risk. All I know is, Mercedes are going to be fascinating to watch, look forward to seeing how it pans out.

#58 Nycco

Nycco

• 264 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 22:34

Why do so many people of the technical staff leave McLaren ? Tombazis, Newey, Fry, now Lowe ? What's wrong there ? They have great conditions to work, good money, great budgets, great responsabilities, opportunities to fight for the championship almost every year, great facility, McLaren is part of the F1 history, so why ? I'm a fan so my opinion is biased but isn't McLaren a dream team to work when you're in F1 ? And if not what does Mercedes or Red Bull or Ferrari bring that McLaren doesn't have ? A new challenge ? Isn't the challenge to make McLaren champion after so many years ? Ok, Ferrari is special, it's history and you eat good pasta there, but the other 2 ? It's nothing compared to McLaren.

#59 SR388

SR388

• 4,007 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 22:39

Why do so many people of the technical staff leave McLaren ? Tombazis, Newey, Fry, now Lowe ? What's wrong there ? They have great conditions to work, good money, great budgets, great responsabilities, opportunities to fight for the championship almost every year, great facility, McLaren is part of the F1 history, so why ? I'm a fan so my opinion is biased but isn't McLaren a dream team to work when you're in F1 ? And if not what does Mercedes or Red Bull or Ferrari bring that McLaren doesn't have ? A new challenge ? Isn't the challenge to make McLaren champion after so many years ? Ok, Ferrari is special, it's history and you eat good pasta there, but the other 2 ? It's nothing compared to McLaren.

It seems to be talent period. Macca seem to have problems keeping any talent with the team. Senna, Prost, Mansell, Kimi, Andretti, Alonso, JPM, Hamilton.

Advertisement

#60 SmokeScreen

SmokeScreen

• 185 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 22:57

http://sportbild.bil...motorsport.html
don’t understand a word so have gone by the discussion in this thread. for me it’s a case of “ how reliable is this source?” because, if reliable, how much more time do we allow for the article “to be removed” if the story is false?

it really should have been by now and the fact that it hasn't makes me suspect that the basic premise that PL is leaving McLaren is true - even if where he is headed is close secret or still to be decided.

it may not be about the money (if true). Last season must have been frustrating if not heartbreaking considering the pace of the car. That car should have won one if not both championships. Imagine how galling if AN is collecting all the accolades on account of his results when you get the one chance to show how well you measure in your field that chance is blown away by circumstances beyond your (department's)control (but not necessarily that of the team! )

on a separate note I do wonder how both McLaren and Mercedes intend sorting the reliability woes both suffered from last season.

#61 peroa

peroa

• 8,976 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 23:00

20 years is a long time, sometimes one just needs a change.

#62 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,178 posts

I don't understand this as well mate but no problem McLaren will always have the best engineers no matter what. Don't forget there are lots of talented guys working behind the scenes. We will have new Neweys, Hamiltons, Pat Frys . If someone wants to leave, McLaren will them go.

Edited by Mc_Silver, 21 January 2013 - 23:01.

#63 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

My guess would be as an organization, they want people to conform to the McLaren way, and are to controlling. usually the top people in any field are mavericks they want to do it their way and will eventually go to where ever they are aloud to do that. I have heard several times, that Newey can pretty much do whatever he wants at RBR, as long has he produces good results.

#64 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,784 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 23:01

If this is true, who will take Lowe's role in Mclaren?

McLaren have lost a lot of prominent engineers in recent years, but I've seen no sign of a decline in performance, at least on the design side.

We don't hear about them doing any recruitment, so presumably they are always training a bunch of younger guys who have lots of ideas.

If they have a current weakness, it seems to be within the racing operations team, but AFAIK they didn't lose anyone from there, apart from Dave Ryan and Mark Slade - so no recent departures.

Edited by BillBald, 21 January 2013 - 23:02.

#65 bogi

bogi

• 3,134 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 23:04

McLaren have lost a lot of prominent engineers in recent years, but I've see no sign of a decline in performance, at least on the design side.

We don't hear about them doing any recruitment, so presumably they are always training a bunch of younger guys who have lots of ideas.

If they have a current weakness, it seems to be within the racing operations team, but AFAIK they didn't lose anyone from there, apart from Dave Ryan and Mark Slade - so no recent departures.

People always jump on how McLaren looses enginners.

http://www.formula1....009/3/9023.html

http://www.mclaren.c...-of-neil-oatley

In F1 people come and go.

#66 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 23:05

Yup :up:

#67 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 23:12

Wasn't it reported to be Whitmarsh who drove Newey out?

Someone once said he doesn't like whiz kids and superstars

#68 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 23:13

It seems to be talent period. Macca seem to have problems keeping any talent with the team. Senna, Prost, Mansell, Kimi, Andretti, Alonso, JPM, Hamilton.

Spot the odd one out :-p

It reminds of the black Adder episode

Captain Blackadder: I then leapt on the opportunity to test you. I asked if he'd been to one of the great universities, Oxford, Cambridge, or Hull.

#69 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 23:17

People always jump on how McLaren looses enginners.

http://www.formula1....009/3/9023.html

http://www.mclaren.c...-of-neil-oatley

In F1 people come and go.

Reading them though it makes 2009 very strange, wasn't it commented that McLaren front wing was directing the air incorrectly, should have being inwards instead of outwards and any long term past engineer would have seen this, and yet those have being in the business aslong as anyone?

#70 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,793 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 23:18

Spot the odd one out :-p

It reminds of the black Adder episode

Captain Blackadder: I then leapt on the opportunity to test you. I asked if he'd been to one of the great universities, Oxford, Cambridge, or Hull.

Montoya?

#71 SR388

SR388

• 4,007 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 23:19

Did Toyota ever go out and secure big name talent like Merc is doing? I think they may be going about this whole dropping loads of cash and hoping for results thing a bit better than Toyota did.

#72 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 23:23

Pascal Vasselon?

#73 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,153 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 23:24

Andretti? :lol:

Michael never put the effort in that would have been needed of him to have a chance to succeed in F1.

#74 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 942 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 23:26

If Mercedes are being so aggressive in poaching from McLaren (Lewis and possibly now Lowe) you have to wonder if both McLaren and Mercedes have already declared that they will not be continuing as partners.

McLaren have the option until 2015, but could cancel at any time. Mercedes could choose not to extend post 2015. Have to suspect McLaren may not have Mercedes engines for long under the new regulations (if at all).

#75 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 23:30

If Mercedes are being so aggressive in poaching from McLaren (Lewis and possibly now Lowe) you have to wonder if both McLaren and Mercedes have already declared that they will not be continuing as partners.

McLaren have the option until 2015, but could cancel at any time. Mercedes could choose not to extend post 2015. Have to suspect McLaren may not have Mercedes engines for long under the new regulations (if at all).

Or the get Mercedes engines for free or cheaper if they allow Lowe to join with gardening leave, etc

#76 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 924 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:00

I would say this news is bollocks. Knowing the Bild, tells me that it's most possibly not true, seeing that they are the only ones out there with that message.

#77 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:40

Bob Bell, Geoff Willis, Aldo Costa, Mike Elliot, and now Pade Lowe. How many god damn designers do Mercedes need? Ferrari and Red Bull only have 2 each.

excatly my thought. isnt that amount of designers is a overkill? How they are supposed to work together?

#78 lewymp4

lewymp4

• 524 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:43

All i can say...

So many shocks this off season, what next Eddie Jordan makes a comeback?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#79 nomi

nomi

• 288 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:27

Merc must be putting alot of faith in Lauda.

Advertisement

#80 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,639 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:37

McLaren seem to be under siege. I wonder if Ron will come back full fledged to stem the flow.

#81 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,849 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:50

To me that makes this rumor less likely. Recruiting Paddy to Williams would require them to come up with some big $$, which doesn't seem to be an option for them especially considering the took on Bottas instead of a money driver.

Also, the conflict of interest involved here would be substantial. Negotiating with Lowe as a representative of Williams and then luring him over to Mercedes after a deal had been agreed to would be a pretty big ethical issue and Frank would be able to sue for sure.

Lastly, as I'm rooting for McLaren this year I hope this isn't true.

Also, why would Lowe suddenly change over to moving to Merc based on what Wolff does... surely one man doesn't influence that kind of decision, surely it's the challenge of the team in question?

#82 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,892 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:16

McLaren does not deny the story so there must be some truth to it:
http://www.telegraph...new-season.html

Edited by Timstr11, 22 January 2013 - 07:17.

#83 akshay380

akshay380

• 566 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:59

Wow! Thats a biggie. :eek:

#84 drJeckyll

drJeckyll

• 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:18

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperf1
#F1 Fans will get a chance to find out what's happening as @TheFifthDriver promised an #askpaddy Q&A session for this week!

#85 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,892 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:40

Matt Bishop? he may be off to Merc too.

f1talks.pl ‏@f1talks
There is a rumour that person working behind @TheFifthDriver Twitter account also joined Mercedes... #F1

https://twitter.com/...634745898782720

Edited by Timstr11, 22 January 2013 - 08:41.

#86 peroa

peroa

• 8,976 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:43

Isn't the 5th driver the bearded guy who was with Lew when he gave interviews?
The tweet is a joke, though, IMHO.

#87 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,562 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:45

So Merc poached it's former partner McLaren

Well, we all know F1 has a wolff eats wolff mentality.

Edited by Diablobb81, 22 January 2013 - 08:46.

#88 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,892 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:48

Isn't the 5th driver the bearded guy who was with Lew when he gave interviews?
The tweet is a joke, though, IMHO.

Likely a joke. Should've used a smiley.
Bishop is not bearded afaik (http://cdn-4.motorsp...437714/s1_1.jpg).

Edited by Timstr11, 22 January 2013 - 08:49.

#89 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,852 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:56

From Joe Saward:

http://joesaward.wor...g-an-f1-writer/

If anything happens in the F1 world, then all is well and good. At lunchtime there is a telephone conference for some of the F1 media with Toto Wolff, the new boss of Mercedes motorsport, so we can find out more about how he ended up in the role, and what he hopes to achieve. But that’s in a few hours

Hoping one journalist asks the question.

#90 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,394 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:20

It seems that Mercedes masterplan to win is hiring every engineer of the grid leaving its rivals with no brains.

#91 Gfhuus

Gfhuus

• 118 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:22

Wow. At first this sounded too juicy to be true, but not denying it makes one wonder.

Could it be that one or more of the recent tech hires is already on their way out?

#92 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,436 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:40

Well, IF there is any substance to this rumour, I presume McLaren will fight like mad to keep Lowe so they can then say there never was anything to it. Losing in quick succession their star driver and Lowe, who has been at the heart of the team for such a long time, would set the F1 press into a total feeding frenzy about crisis time at Macca. Not what they need just ahead of the new season.

As an aside, to the degree you can ever tell with such things, I always reckoned Lowe looked like the McLaren top brass guy who was the strongest supporter of Hamilton when things were going so badly for him in 2011.

Edited by SophieB, 22 January 2013 - 09:42.

#93 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:44

Has this been confirmed by anyone yet (Merc, Mclaren....or even Paddy himself) no disrespect to Sports Bild and not withstanding they did break the Glock and Toto Wolff stories but they have got it wrong before int he past.

The timing also seems to be a bit off. at least 80% of the Merc will have already been designed and I don't see him being allowed to go by Mclaren without some sort of gardening leave which begs the question, why no and not earlier in the 2012 season where it would have made a bit more sense.

The rumoyur also says he was lured by Wolff to Williams and subsequently going to Merc now. Not sure how much influence Wolff would have in making paddy jump from team to team......

Although McLaren not denying it is really making the rumour gain momentum.......

#94 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:10

The timing also seems to be a bit off. at least 80% of the Merc will have already been designed

There is 2014 and also in your own words they have an estimated 20% left. That alone is good enough reason.

and I don't see him being allowed to go by Mclaren without some sort of gardening leave which begs the question,

Huh? Pat Fry quit McLaren mid season and took a lot of staff with him

why no and not earlier in the 2012 season where it would have made a bit more sense.

Eeerm this is the earlier in the season just a different year and dont forget the rule changes for 2014 :wave:

The rumoyur also says he was lured by Wolff to Williams and subsequently going to Merc now. Not sure how much influence Wolff would have in making paddy jump from team to team......

Although McLaren not denying it is really making the rumour gain momentum.......

All this is a rumour though and that includes him going to Williams.

Edited by SunnyENTP, 22 January 2013 - 10:18.

#95 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,830 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:10

It seems that Mercedes masterplan to win is hiring every engineer of the grid leaving its rivals with no brains.

That and having one of the best, most seasoned engineers on the grid overseeing the design of the 2014 car - leaving most of those involved in the 2013 car to get on with its development throughout the season........

#96 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:19

http://www1.skysport...en-to-Mercedes-

Sky now running the story.

#97 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,828 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:22

I think there's some truth otherwise we wouldn't have so many sources reporting on this, but on the other hand something's lost on translation because of the weird timing - gardening leave etc - and the fact Williams couldn't possibly afford him surely?

We'll find out soon.

#98 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,828 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:25

That and having one of the best, most seasoned engineers on the grid overseeing the design of the 2014 car - leaving most of those involved in the 2013 car to get on with its development throughout the season........

Even providing for 2 design teams it still seems a bit too many people though, we already thought the team was top-heavy before the changes but now they've brought in Lauda and Wolff at management level whilst firing Haug - 2 people in, 1 out; now another technical big name?

Are they about to fire someone on the technical side too?

#99 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,830 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:54

Even providing for 2 design teams it still seems a bit too many people though, we already thought the team was top-heavy before the changes but now they've brought in Lauda and Wolff at management level whilst firing Haug - 2 people in, 1 out; now another technical big name?

Are they about to fire someone on the technical side too?

Well - The "Big Bang" approach certainly is historically fraught with pitfalls. But who knows? Maybe the recent raft of "big names" moving to Mercedes is giving the impression of top-heavy, ego rich management? As one person has already said: It would be very interesting to see their management structure......

All I can say is that it's bloody interesting, and somewhat exciting at seeing Mercedes well and truly give it a genuine big shot at glory as a constructor! .......... maybe for the last time.........

Edited by maverick69, 22 January 2013 - 11:00.

Advertisement

#100 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,537 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:00

I really hope its not true, but since more and more are running the story ... im not sure anymore. About the timing, actually i think the timing isnt that bad 6 months from 01-01-2013 he would still be able to have influence on next years car. Regarding the many technical directors at mercedes. Well theyre all has been, or been out of business for some time. Im not saying they are not clever, but with Paddy they would get first hand knowledge on how to build a winning car under theese regulations. None of the others can supply that. They will have a point of reference on all parameters, which they can further develop with all the other tech heads. That kind of info is priceless