bogi

• 3,039 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 22:15

Advertisement

#302 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,857 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 22:20

In my opinion I think Paddy Lowe feels his car(talent) will be wasted on Button and Perezs so is looking for a new challenge...

I'd be very surprised if that was the case. Although I could understand if he was annoyed at the team for the operational issues exhibited on both cars over the year. But as DC said, opinions are like...

#303 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,420 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 22:21

Having a quick look now..thank you!

#304 P123

P123

• 8,377 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 22:24

It certainly has the feeling of a team throwing money at the problem. :well:

What money are Mercedes throwing about? Wolff and Lauda have come in as new shareholders- that's money to Mercedes. And they seem to be planning on replacing Brawn with Lowe, not putting Lowe in place as an addition to the tech team.

#305 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,277 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 23:04

In my opinion I think Paddy Lowe feels his car(talent) will be wasted on Button and Perezs so is looking for a new challenge...

:D
Come on, 2011 was a long time ago now, get over it.

Edited by Lazy, 24 January 2013 - 23:05.

#306 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 23:11

:D
Come on, 2011 was a long time ago now, get over it.

lol

#307 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,282 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 23:20

If Mercedes is smart, they will not force him out as it will only cause dissent in the team, including Hamilton: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/105255

Well done LH ... maturing already at Merc ... Paddy and Martin we LH's two biggest problems at Macca ... IMHO

A well timed intervention if there ever was one...

#308 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,158 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 23:32

Well done LH ... maturing already at Merc ... Paddy and Martin we LH's two biggest problems at Macca ... IMHO

What is his problem with Paddy? :well:

#309 dhill39

dhill39

• 419 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:17

I thought I was the only person to pick up on what Lewis was saying,we don't need Paddy,he was one of the problem Lewis had at Mclaren,he's Jenson biggest fan and Lewis knows that.

#310 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 880 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:58

Well if the rumour is true, he got lured to Williams first, so ehm....No. Try harder next time!

Edited by ElDictatore, 25 January 2013 - 01:58.

#311 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,051 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:17

Mercedes behaves like Man City

#312 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,857 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:22

What money are Mercedes throwing about? Wolff and Lauda have come in as new shareholders- that's money to Mercedes. And they seem to be planning on replacing Brawn with Lowe, not putting Lowe in place as an addition to the tech team.

I was referring to the too-many-chiefs aspect of Mercs organisational structure.

#313 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,857 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:23

I thought I was the only person to pick up on what Lewis was saying,we don't need Paddy,he was one of the problem Lewis had at Mclaren,he's Jenson biggest fan and Lewis knows that.

I hadn't realised that. What other news stories made you think that?

#314 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:25

LH comments will surely make an impact...Ross is staying and Paddy remains at Mclaren or wherever...

LH's public intervention is also sending strong signals to some back room executives at Merc to back off the F1 team and leave the running to experts.
I just hope that there aren't strongly divided camps are Merc, I will like to hear what Rosberg thinks about all these.

#315 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:52

http://www.planetf1....erc-Uncertainty

"I've been assured by Ross his commitment is for the long term and he is here to try to win with me, which reassures me and gives me a positive feeling moving forward.

"There are lots of good people here and I've obviously had great experiences with Paddy, but he works with McLaren as far as I'm concerned."

Wow Mclaren would never let Lewis be this vocal in boardroom politics. Happy to hear that he and Ross stand together. :up:

#316 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:15

I thought I was the only person to pick up on what Lewis was saying,we don't need Paddy,.

I had this impression as well.

#317 peroa

peroa

• 8,927 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:58

http://www.grandprix...ns/ns24738.html
Bernard makes them dance...

#318 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,071 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:59

Mercedes behaves like Man City

Well, they won the title :wave:

#319 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,282 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:24

http://www.grandprix...ns/ns24738.html
Bernard makes them dance...

See what I told you, man.

Finally, after Adam Parr's departure at Williams was linked to Bernie Ecclestone, it is rumoured the F1 chief executive may be striking again, this time at Mercedes, to give Toto Wolff's career another boost.

Brawn admitted he has "not always seen eye to eye" with Ecclestone, but told the Telegraph: "I would be very surprised.

"The thing Bernie wants is a strong Mercedes. Hopefully he recognises I am an asset to the team."

Advertisement

#320 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:37

See what I told you, man.

Just read that Merc are offering Paddy €1Mil, 2ce as much as Mclaren currently pays him. If all these goes down to a bidding war, I don't see Mclaren winning.

Actually, I don't see how Paddy and Brawn cannot coexist in the Merc team. Over at Mclaren, MW is simply team manager with no technical responsibilites just like Ron D before him. In fact I don't know of any current TD who participates in the technical activities.

#321 bogi

bogi

• 3,039 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:39

Just read that Merc are offering Paddy €1Mil, 2ce as much as Mclaren currently pays him. If all these goes down to a bidding war, I don't see Mclaren winning.

And AGAIN Whitmarsh isn't one to blame.

#322 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:42

Actually, I don't see how Paddy and Brawn cannot coexist in the Merc team. Over at Mclaren, MW is simply team manager with no technical responsibilites just like Ron D before him. In fact I don't know of any current TD who participates in the technical activities.

Good points. :up:

#323 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 13:36

And AGAIN Whitmarsh isn't one to blame.

Where was Whitmarsh ascribed blame ?

#324 bogi

bogi

• 3,039 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 13:45

Where was Whitmarsh ascribed blame ?

Few pages back, same usual suspects had ''theories''

#325 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 13:55

Could you elaborate on why you think there was friction between Lowe and Hamilton? I don't follow the politics as closely as you do, but I don't really recall there being anything that seemed 'off' between them. All I can think of is that Paddy Lowe tended to go up on the podium a couple of JB victories but wasn't up there for any of LH's wins IIRC. But that's no where near enough basis to be sure that there was any problem between them?

#326 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 15:50

Could you elaborate on why you think there was friction between Lowe and Hamilton? I don't follow the politics as closely as you do, but I don't really recall there being anything that seemed 'off' between them. All I can think of is that Paddy Lowe tended to go up on the podium a couple of JB victories but wasn't up there for any of LH's wins IIRC. But that's no where near enough basis to be sure that there was any problem between them?

Paddy was on the podium at Turkey 2010, is one I recall. I don't know of a problem between Paddy and Lewis as such, but I do suspect Lewis is aiming to escape from all the people at McLaren who knew him as a teenager and haven't fully updated their view of him. At Merc he's the superstar; at Mac he was the young man they nurtured, and Paddy was part of that.

#327 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 16:14

Paddy was on the podium at Turkey 2010, is one I recall. I don't know of a problem between Paddy and Lewis as such, but I do suspect Lewis is aiming to escape from all the people at McLaren who knew him as a teenager and haven't fully updated their view of him. At Merc he's the superstar; at Mac he was the young man they nurtured, and Paddy was part of that.

I understand, but isn't it going to be tricky if Lewis is publicly lukewarm about Paddy Lowe coming but the Mercedes board are actually in the process of recruiting him? I know it is a hypothetical situation, but there is a lot going on at Mercedes right now and Lewis is going to be asked these questions. They all need to get on the same page fast.

#328 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,282 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 16:19

He never has anything genuinely good to say about LH ... its my own "kremlinological" analysis. I cant point to one specific incident... but I have said more than once on here that
Dennis and Neale were pro LH and Whitmarsh and Lowe were anti LH ... people laughed but LH moved on rather than keep working with Whitmarsh - and now he is not crazy about Lowe joining Merc ... that's 2-0 in my favour I'd say.

#329 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 16:28

I understand, but isn't it going to be tricky if Lewis is publicly lukewarm about Paddy Lowe coming but the Mercedes board are actually in the process of recruiting him? I know it is a hypothetical situation, but there is a lot going on at Mercedes right now and Lewis is going to be asked these questions. They all need to get on the same page fast.

Lewis has chosen his words quite carefully I'd say: nothing against anyone. Also he has met Zetsche and it's in the nature of things that stars are listened to - if Lewis has sent a message that he wants Brawn that will carry some weight.

#330 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,681 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 16:29

Which they actually are not. I thought that was quite clear by now. It is pretty clear also that LH does not want any part in poaching one of his ex-teams' leading figure, for all the obvious reasons. Lowe has a contract anyway, which is again pretty clear that he will not terminate. So I do not thing anything is going to be 'tricky'. I do not think too much more will happen in the near future at Merc personnel-wise, bar the jobs they were opening till end of this month. I'd say they got on the same page surprisingly fast.

#331 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,660 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 16:32

Hmm... This event certainly did not go ahead this week.

McLaren ‏@TheFifthDriver 17 Jan
Next week Technical Director Paddy Lowe will answer questions ahead of the car reveal and the 2013 season. What would you ask? #AskPaddy

#332 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,681 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 16:39

Hmm... This event certainly did not go ahead this week.

I'd say that is more than understandable, he would've been drilled, and not on the 2013 car after Merc's approach was leaked.

#333 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 16:52

I'd say that is more than understandable, he would've been drilled, and not on the 2013 car after Merc's approach was leaked.

Not necessarily, he would be taking questions about MP4-28. They usually have a press briefing and told before hand what questions are off limits. You noticed Lewis was not brought up when Pewrez had his first day at Woking. Drill your hosts and you lose the right to ever come back. The press are nice and have to be nice to the teams or else they lose out. I doubt any reporter wants to have to tell his boss their company have lost the right to press briefings.

#334 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 17:08

I doubt any reporter wants to have to tell his boss their company have lost the right to press briefings.

..............and advertising revenue from the company you possed off.

#335 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,681 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 17:21

Not necessarily, he would be taking questions about MP4-28. They usually have a press briefing and told before hand what questions are off limits. You noticed Lewis was not brought up when Pewrez had his first day at Woking. Drill your hosts and you lose the right to ever come back. The press are nice and have to be nice to the teams or else they lose out. I doubt any reporter wants to have to tell his boss their company have lost the right to press briefings.

There is still the possibility that he still is leaving though, and not to Mercedes. Wasn't he approached originally by Williams? If he was hellbent on leaving, he could take his pick, no? Quite confusing timeline there. Williams, Wolff, in the meantime Mercedes too, then Wolff jumps ship to join Merc, we don1t really know what exactly happened, when, and how it really panned out, except the Merc part of the story, since they came clean. Seriously, like a Mexican soap opera, I imagine. :lol:

#336 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 18:13

There is still the possibility that he still is leaving though, and not to Mercedes. Wasn't he approached originally by Williams? If he was hellbent on leaving, he could take his pick, no? Quite confusing timeline there. Williams, Wolff, in the meantime Mercedes too, then Wolff jumps ship to join Merc, we don1t really know what exactly happened, when, and how it really panned out, except the Merc part of the story, since they came clean. Seriously, like a Mexican soap opera, I imagine. :lol:

It's obvious Lowe wanted to go. I mean as soon as this came out McLaren immediately announced James Allison from Lotus. Reminds me of Perez announcement. I think McLaren are the most PR conscious team in the paddock. Everything seems so calculated and controlled hence the quick annoucement. I think Lowe wanted some freedom and more possibilities out there and saw and opportunity with Williams. Just as Newey saw with RB when he left McLaren in 2005. I believe Lowe can grow and become greater WHEN he leaves McLaren which IMO is this year.

#337 string158

string158

• 193 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 18:21

The timing off this is a bit odd. They aren't going to allowed to move immediately because of the info they would take with them.
So are they going to work for a team for a year knowing they are going to leave? Not productive for them or team. They going to be benched for half the season before being released?
Doesn't make sense to me.

#338 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,660 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 18:58

Excellent article by Adam Cooper on the matter:
http://formula-one.s...ga-at-mercedes/

#339 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 880 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 19:00

It's obvious Lowe wanted to go. I mean as soon as this came out McLaren immediately announced James Allison from Lotus. Reminds me of Perez announcement. I think McLaren are the most PR conscious team in the paddock. Everything seems so calculated and controlled hence the quick annoucement. I think Lowe wanted some freedom and more possibilities out there and saw and opportunity with Williams. Just as Newey saw with RB when he left McLaren in 2005. I believe Lowe can grow and become greater WHEN he leaves McLaren which IMO is this year.

Not going to disagree on the PR statement, but in this case McLaren did not announce anything. The news about James Allison is a rumour spread by a newspaper and not something official from McLaren. And we don't know how much truth there is to the Lowe story either, so I wouldn't go as far to say that it's a case like Newey.

Advertisement

#340 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 19:01

It certainly has the feeling of a team throwing money at the problem. :well:

You mean similar to RBR breaching the RRA?
or Ferrari in the 200x's?

#341 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,681 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 19:46

Thx Timstr.

Key figure to me here seems to be Wolff, which again surprises me. That is lucky. He has 30% Lauda 10%. Lucky because Lauda is basically broke, otherwise, I suspect he would have the whole 40%, and this team would be in shambles within a year. I don't know though if Wolff is his straw-man, or not. I have a feeling not. But, coming back to luck, if the team proves itself this season, they cannot touch Brawn. So basically, as I see it, Wolff bought Brawn the make/or break season he was facing anyway. This all seems to mean to me that I am right about Lauda being just as destructive as I think him to be. Its kind of sadly funny to me because here is one guy, who is slapping the nettle with the penis of a 45 billion dollar corporation, sailing on the wind farted by a near-senile Bernie. Lauda turns up in September, and by January the shit hits the fan. Congratulations Dr. Zetsche, BTW. :D

edit: would be better if I wrote this in the merc thread, sorry.

Edited by Szoelloe, 25 January 2013 - 19:48.

#342 Owen

Owen

• 10,506 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 20:58

Finally some sense... Thanks for posting it.

#343 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 22:23

"Intriguingly, according to the official paperwork in the public domain, the Mercedes GP board currently contains just two members – Lauda and road car R&D chief Tomas Weber, who came in with Haug et al in December 2009.

At that stage, the board had six members, and since then there’s been a revolving door of people coming and going, legal and financial boffins, many of them with Aabar connections. Now there are just the two members, an unusual state of affairs for a company with a turnover in the $200m range."

Sounds like Lauda is wielding way too much power.

Edited by JRizzle86, 25 January 2013 - 22:24.

#344 sniper80

sniper80

• 520 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 22:55

Lowe to Mercedes
Brawn to Ferrari (again)
Red Bull buys HRT & renames it Taureau rouge

all going to happen in the next week :drunk:

#345 weston

weston

• 370 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 22:56

"Intriguingly, according to the official paperwork in the public domain, the Mercedes GP board currently contains just two members – Lauda and road car R&D chief Tomas Weber, who came in with Haug et al in December 2009.
At that stage, the board had six members, and since then there’s been a revolving door of people coming and going, legal and financial boffins, many of them with Aabar connections. Now there are just the two members, an unusual state of affairs for a company with a turnover in the $200m range."

Sounds like Lauda is wielding way too much power.

... or the MGP board has not been important so far.

#346 dhill39

dhill39

• 419 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 23:11

I hadn't realised that. What other news stories made you think that?

You don't need any news story to tell that they don't get along,if you watch the past two seasons,you would see the body language between Lewis and Paddy,compare to Jenson,it was plain to see.

#347 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 317 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 00:57

Lowe to Mercedes
Brawn to Ferrari (again)
Red Bull buys HRT & renames it Taureau rouge

all going to happen in the next week :drunk:

Can you spare a hit on what you're smokin' there?

#348 as65p

as65p

• 17,294 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:16

You don't need any news story to tell that they don't get along,if you watch the past two seasons,you would see the body language between Lewis and Paddy,compare to Jenson,it was plain to see.

That's strange, cause going by the spoken word I had always the opposite impression. Whenever some praise or defense from the team went Hamiltons way during the last years it was very often Paddy Lowe delivering it, this are just two examples:

(October 2011)

Lowe has backed Hamilton's aggressive style, however, and says McLaren will not do anything to try and change that.

"Clearly he has made mistakes, all drivers do," said Lowe during a Vodafone phone-in on Wednesday. "Equally we want Lewis to make less mistakes, I guess, but we don't want to stop him driving in the way he does.

"I think he is the most entertaining driver we have out there; very, very fast, very good at pressing through the race even if he doesn't start from the front and that has allowed him to win 16 races and a world championship and we don't want to erode that spirit.

"That's what makes him what he is and that's what makes him the driver that everybody enjoys. Of course he will be thinking how do I make less mistakes but I think that's just a local blip personally."

(November 2012)

"Of course we will miss Lewis a great deal. He is a fantastic driver and a fantastic guy, and we have been through lot of history together," Lowe said in a Vodafone phone-in.

"Personally I have worked with him since 2007 but that's been six years of fantastic racing and great successes - and some tough times as well.

"He is the most fantastic driver. We will all miss him.

#349 SirT

SirT

• 217 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:44

He also stuck up for Lewis in the telemetry tweet saga at Spa

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/19464220

Edited by SirT, 26 January 2013 - 02:45.

#350 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,282 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:04

All those kind words, yet LH still left a team that provided him with multiple wins per season and (according to him) offered him more money ... and now he's pretty cool on they guy who designed the best car on the grid in 2012 joining the team who desperately need to build a good car for 2014 ... crazy guy that LH ... and everything is always exactly as presented via the press.

By the way - re that "defence" of LH over tweetgate .... who needs enemies with friends like that :lol:

Edited by jjcale, 26 January 2013 - 05:05.