Paddy Lowe to Mercedes?

• Please log in to reply
1085 replies to this topic

#351 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,582 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:08

All those kind words, yet LH still left a team that provided him with multiple wins per season and (according to him) offered him more money ... and now he's pretty cool on they guy who designed the best car on the grid in 2012 joining the team who desperately need to build a good car for 2014 ... crazy guy that LH ... and everything is always exactly as presented via the press.

By the way - re that "defence" of LH over tweetgate .... who needs enemies with friends like that :lol:

I thought Hamilton sounded so less than wowed about the prospect of a reunion that I went back to check if my vague memory of past kind words about Lewis from Lowe was faulty. Turned out it totally was! The warm, kind stuff I remembered was actually said by Neale, which in retrospect makes way more sense.

"...but as far as I'm concerned, he works for McLaren" is wonderfully ambiguous in how it can be read.

Advertisement

#352 Juggles

Juggles

• 887 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:27

I thought Hamilton sounded so less than wowed about the prospect of a reunion that I went back to check if my vague memory of past kind words about Lewis from Lowe was faulty. Turned out it totally was! The warm, kind stuff I remembered was actually said by Neale, which in retrospect makes way more sense.

"...but as far as I'm concerned, he works for McLaren" is wonderfully ambiguous in how it can be read.

Watching that interview just made me think Hamilton was trying to keep his cards close to his chest. He may have an opinion one way or another that he's already voiced to the management, but the last thing he wants is to be dragged into a media tug of war between his old team and his new team a week before the first pre-season test. You just know it would be huge news if Hamilton was either too positive or too negative about Lowe joining Mercedes; in this case ambivalence, and the anonymity that comes with it, is the most sensible option.

For my part I've never noticed any strained interactions between Hamilton and Lowe. The comments Lowe made in November that as65p posted may just be hollow words easily uttered when Hamilton was already out the door, but if that's the case they were excessively appreciative hollow words: "he is the most fantastic driver." If anything I suspect Lowe respects Hamilton a great deal for the things he's done in Lowe's cars.

#353 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:00

He also stuck up for Lewis in the telemetry tweet saga at Spa

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/19464220

Tweeting telemetry data is not a clever thing to do.

#354 P123

P123

• 7,395 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:06

That's strange, cause going by the spoken word I had always the opposite impression. Whenever some praise or defense from the team went Hamiltons way during the last years it was very often Paddy Lowe delivering it, this are just two

That's the impression I got too, yet we're still going to have to hear unsubstantiated garbage about how the team hated LH etc...... yet he himself has never complained about his treatment from McLaren.

#355 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,353 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:26

From Twitter:

Darren Heath ‏@F1Photographer
Hearing stories of Lauda 'man management' @ #F1 #mercedes. If only 10% are true there's trouble ahead. #Ipredictariot

:/

#356 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,756 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:27

Watching that interview just made me think Hamilton was trying to keep his cards close to his chest. He may have an opinion one way or another that he's already voiced to the management, but the last thing he wants is to be dragged into a media tug of war between his old team and his new team a week before the first pre-season test. You just know it would be huge news if Hamilton was either too positive or too negative about Lowe joining Mercedes; in this case ambivalence, and the anonymity that comes with it, is the most sensible option.

For my part I've never noticed any strained interactions between Hamilton and Lowe. The comments Lowe made in November that as65p posted may just be hollow words easily uttered when Hamilton was already out the door, but if that's the case they were excessively appreciative hollow words: "he is the most fantastic driver." If anything I suspect Lowe respects Hamilton a great deal for the things he's done in Lowe's cars.

:up:

I think it was a good response by Hamilton as he's being put in a very difficult situation at the moment. It'd be interesting to know what he was promised before he joined because presumably he'd have been told what Brawn was planning, and not what others were planning for Brawn...

#357 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 270 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 14:14

I think it was a good response by Hamilton as he's being put in a very difficult situation at the moment. It'd be interesting to know what he was promised before he joined because presumably he'd have been told what Brawn was planning, and not what others were planning for Brawn...

Or put another way, where Haug ended and Wolff began...

#358 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,332 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 14:18

So is it pretty much official now that Lowe is not going to Merc in the near future?

#359 Lazy

Lazy

• 4,633 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 14:37

From Twitter:

Darren Heath ‏@F1Photographer
Hearing stories of Lauda 'man management' @ #F1 #mercedes. If only 10% are true there's trouble ahead. #Ipredictariot

:/

Indeed, I imagine Brawn and Hamilton are less than impressed by this unnecessary disruption just before testing.

Advertisement

#360 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,882 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:49

Has anyone got a link to the interview where he says this? I haven't actually seen it I don't think

#361 jjcale

jjcale

• 6,737 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 18:06

The first report by James Allen - on 5live which must have been phoned in before they even had a chance to produce the piece, and which I heard whilst driving around mid-day - stated that LH rebuffed Lowe and strongly supported Brawn ... I admit I was a bit surprised to hear LH's actual words were a lot more noncommital than Allen's report but I do think that Allen read the tea leaves correctly to the extent that it appears to be a choice between having Brawn in charge and having Lowe on board, he would rather to leave Brawn in post. I think that much is clear.

Edit: It could also be that Allen is reflecting info other than LH gave in the interview that has been broadcast.

Has anyone got a link to the interview where he says this? I haven't actually seen it I don't think

BBC interview http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/21185449 ... BTW there is an edit in this version right after he talks about Brawn. This version does not have the "Lowe is at Macca so far as I know" quote ... Im not even sure its in the unedited version of this interview

Edited by jjcale, 26 January 2013 - 21:42.

#362 ATM_Andy

ATM_Andy

• 1,482 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 21:20

Mercedes do pay extremely well.

#363 Markn93

Markn93

• 3,448 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 21:26

Hmmm.... ATM Andy to Mercedes? :p

#364 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 7,026 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 21:32

#365 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,051 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 22:44

Could be a mass exodus of personnel from Mclaren following Hamilton to Mercedes :lol:he's probably thinking " Man I thought I'd seen the last of them.."

Edited by skid solo, 26 January 2013 - 22:45.

#366 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 00:12

can we pls stay on topic. Where are the mods to regulate things......or has "Buttoneer"and his crew been poached by Merc to run the Merc Amg forum site, I won't be surprised considering the amount being thrown around these days

#367 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 270 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:47

can we pls stay on topic. Where are the mods to regulate things......or has "Buttoneer"and his crew been poached by Merc to run the Merc Amg forum site, I won't be surprised considering the amount being thrown around these days

Well, it sure wouldn't be the Marussia Mighty Quiet Low Buck Blog, now would it??

#368 Juggles

Juggles

• 887 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:57

This is the one I was thinking of, a Sky Sports interview from a few days ago:

Hamilton's Sky interview

The Lowe comments start at 4:10 but it's worth watching the whole thing.

#369 jjcale

jjcale

• 6,737 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:40

I suppose the question is whether Lowe in equals Brawn out.... if yes, saying that Brawn was a big factor in his decision and that Brawn told him he would be here for a long time counts as support for Brawn and therefore not supporting Lowe.... if no, then he's playing with a very straight bat.

I think the reason many(?) have read so much into his comments is that it was widely rumoured when Lowe to Merc was leaked it came shortly after Wolff's takeover and these things together seemed to mean there would not be a place for Brawn and Fry i.e. Lowe in equals Brawn out.... so unless that widely reported speculation/rumour is wrong, even these very diplomatic comments have to be taken as pro Brawn - and therefore anti Lowe..... but I agree he has been very diplomatic.

#370 moorsey

moorsey

• 603 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:04

Everybody seems to be suggesting that if Paddy Lowe joins Merc than Brawn is out. If that is the case does it also mean that if he stays at McLaren then Whitmarsh is out???????

#371 jjcale

jjcale

• 6,737 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:18

Everybody seems to be suggesting that if Paddy Lowe joins Merc than Brawn is out. If that is the case does it also mean that if he stays at McLaren then Whitmarsh is out???????

This is why I highlighted this as a question.... it was almost an assumption (or maybe even a presumption) in the F1 press by the middle of last week.... but only Lauda, Wolff and Dr Z definitely know if this so. To me, it looks like Brawn himself does not know - he was practically begging Bernie to save him via the press last week. It is hard to tell if LH knows.

So let us remember that this only an assumption and not a fact, one way or the other ATM - but if privately LH knows one way or the other, then his comments take on a different complexion depending on which of the 2(?) possibilities is intended by folks now running Merc.

Edited by jjcale, 27 January 2013 - 10:19.

#372 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:02

No, one is the technical director, one is the team principle.

#373 SmokeScreen

SmokeScreen

• 180 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:26

He never has anything genuinely good to say about LH ... its my own "kremlinological" analysis. I cant point to one specific incident... but I have said more than once on here that
Dennis and Neale were pro LH and Whitmarsh and Lowe were anti LH ... people laughed but LH moved on rather than keep working with Whitmarsh - and now he is not crazy about Lowe joining Merc ... that's 2-0 in my favour I'd say.

Lewis doesn’t have a problem with Lowe. He is non-committal in his interviews although the sky one shows a positive facial expression when describing Lowe as "great guy" but I am also with Undersquare on his wanting to get away from the McLaren system and be able to create something different with someone who actually knows how to win championships. For all his technical genius Lowe would be coming off a management structure that has started to forget, and Wolff right now is too inexperienced to successfully take charge. i’m sure all the protagonists are aware of this including the only antagonist!

Lowe certainly doesn’t have one with Lewis (bar normal levels of shortlived exasperation over the odd faux pas or two). you don’t tweet to apologise to McLaren/Lewis fans a la Spain 12 Quali if you do-that was spontaneous and from the heart. Neither do you get sent to the podium a la Turkey ’10 to deal with thunder-faced Lewis. in fact Lowe deciding NOW! was the time for team change suggests the complete opposite whether he stays or heads off.

if anything i suspect Lowe may not be too enamoured overJenson and what you have seen as pro-Jenson actions are imo PR efforts to connect the two- you have to remember that Jenson gets a lot of excellent press and they, media, also do not scrutinise his actions and comments at all – so the “Worst car ..in 3yrs..”;“lack of pace not reliability.. cost us..” & “Lewis will surprise NR re difficult car ability” recent comments that would have been made a big deal of coming from someone else have brushed under the carpet, they wouldn't have impressed Lowe. Then you have comments before Lewis had decided re: his Lewis exposure to ‘13 car! (was he suggesting Lewis shouldn't meet with engineers over ‘13? under what authority was he making such speculations?) Lowe was questioned by press on this –shortly after which we had Jenson backtracking with “it is fun to speculate on other drivers”. Just like there must have been an intervention at the end of the December re: pace comments because the “we can move on from 2012” had McLaren corporate fingerprints all over it and I for one wasn’t surprised to see his next interview being filtered direct through McLaren.com.

also Interesting timewise that it was after Malaysia race that Lowe chose to comment that the team needed to take advantage of having the fastest car before the others caught up. was it just the operational and race team he had in mind (if so why not repeated further in the season when they were really haemorrhaging operational points?)and this after the 50th birthday cake Jenson was photographed giving him for McLaren facebook page, which at the time caused speculation over Jenson team building charm offensive.

...anyway back to the big beasts.

i think that Lauda and Brawn can work and work effectively when all the dust settles- that is if they can reach that stage!

A couple of alpha males staking out territory is to be expected (not ideal timing wise but not surprising). Was it meant to go public? Who knows? but if you are going to cower away on Lauda’s first bark then you are better off seeking alternative employment and that includes getting far away from all forms of competitive racing (i still believe McLaren’s intense sensitivity to the media acts as a limiting factor to them, sometimes).

Lewis has shown that he can focus on racing well even when controversy is swirling around him and i’m hoping that Rosberg’s calm facade is not just skin deep in which case drivers will be fine.

Everyone else is on notice that things need to step up but if things do work out Brawn acts as the buffer between his staff and the Rottweiler so i for see no problems in the future.

I suppose we can expect an uneasy silence for now with the next looming pressure deadline- TESTING. If car has potential then we get stay of execution. if flyway races show intent then Brawn wins this battle. Even if Lowe is still coming it will have publicly orchestrated by Brawn and any resultant staff adjustments too -although if things do work out his natural successor could be selected from current pool of talent (which might have been what he intended).

if things do go well over next few weeks Brawn and Lauda can settle into short/medium term good cop bad cop routine (with unique soudbites) and that what I would love to see.

So right now I am crossing all digits that the car is GOOD.

#374 moorsey

moorsey

• 603 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 14:19

Good post.

#375 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 270 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 14:55

Lewis has shown that he can focus on racing well even when controversy is swirling around him and i’m hoping that Rosberg’s calm facade is not just skin deep in which case drivers will be fine.

This brings up an interesting point. As far as I know Rosberg has made no comment about any of this. I find that odd because surely the press would have asked him for his thoughts and reactions. Hmmmm...

#376 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,032 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 15:30

No, one is the technical director, one is the team principle.

That's his point. Brawn and Lowe don't have the same job so if Lowe joins it won't be to do Ross's job.

#377 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,032 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 15:34

This brings up an interesting point. As far as I know Rosberg has made no comment about any of this. I find that odd because surely the press would have asked him for his thoughts and reactions. Hmmmm...

When did anybody from the press last interview Nico? Because i can't find anything since the whole Brawn/Lowe speculation started.

#378 Absulute

Absulute

• 838 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 15:41

So do McLaren, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that.

#379 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,529 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 15:51

That's his point. Brawn and Lowe don't have the same job so if Lowe joins it won't be to do Ross's job.

But of course it will. What exactly are you talking about?

“We have to have things in place. ... It’s rather like my succession plan at Ferrari. When I decided I was going to stop at Ferrari, we’d built a succession plan, and I’ve been part of that. I’ve talked to Paddy; we know the situation. ... I’m planning on being here a very long time.”

To a different group of UK newspaper journalists he added: “Paddy’s not coming, no. If I choose to leave the team, then Paddy will come. We have a fallback plan. It’s as simple as that.”

Advertisement

#380 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,031 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 16:12

I think the point is that Lowe was looking for a promotion.

When did anybody from the press last interview Nico? Because i can't find anything since the whole Brawn/Lowe speculation started.

That is kind of interesting.

IIRC Nico has never been interviewed that much, certainly not compared to Schumi, and we might expect that the same thing will happen with Lewis. It actually seems as though Nico is the no. 2 in everyone's eyes, and it doesn't really seem to be performance-related. Maybe he's quietly hoping that things might change if Ross were no longer there.

#381 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,031 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 17:00

if anything i suspect Lowe may not be too enamoured overJenson and what you have seen as pro-Jenson actions are imo PR efforts to connect the two- you have to remember that Jenson gets a lot of excellent press and they, media, also do not scrutinise his actions and comments at all – so the “Worst car ..in 3yrs..”;“lack of pace not reliability.. cost us..” & “Lewis will surprise NR re difficult car ability” recent comments that would have been made a big deal of coming from someone else have brushed under the carpet, they wouldn't have impressed Lowe. Then you have comments before Lewis had decided re: his Lewis exposure to ‘13 car! (was he suggesting Lewis shouldn't meet with engineers over ‘13? under what authority was he making such speculations?) Lowe was questioned by press on this –shortly after which we had Jenson backtracking with “it is fun to speculate on other drivers”. Just like there must have been an intervention at the end of the December re: pace comments because the “we can move on from 2012” had McLaren corporate fingerprints all over it and I for one wasn’t surprised to see his next interview being filtered direct through McLaren.com.

also Interesting timewise that it was after Malaysia race that Lowe chose to comment that the team needed to take advantage of having the fastest car before the others caught up. was it just the operational and race team he had in mind (if so why not repeated further in the season when they were really haemorrhaging operational points?)and this after the 50th birthday cake Jenson was photographed giving him for McLaren facebook page, which at the time caused speculation over Jenson team building charm offensive.

Sorry for not quoting the entire post, but it was a bit long.

Are you suggesting that Lowe's comments after Malaysia were aimed at Jenson? Because it seems much more likely that he was talking about Lewis' pitstops. Maybe he didn't make any further comments later in the season because he'd been asked not to.

I think I have seen signs of a division between the McLaren design team and the race operations. At the end of each of the last 3 years the design boys have talked up how fast the car was (implying the race team/drivers didn't get the best from it). There was a lot of discussion in the forum - with Alonso fans in particular claiming that this 'proved' that Alonso was doing a better job than Lewis or Jenson because 'even McLaren say their car was better'.

Edited by BillBald, 27 January 2013 - 17:02.

#382 moorsey

moorsey

• 603 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 17:03

I think the point is that Lowe was looking for a promotion.

He may be but the promotion may work better if he gets a massive salary increase while he learns the job before taking over full time don't you think ???

#383 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,529 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 17:24

That is kind of interesting.

IIRC Nico has never been interviewed that much, certainly not compared to Schumi, and we might expect that the same thing will happen with Lewis. It actually seems as though Nico is the no. 2 in everyone's eyes, and it doesn't really seem to be performance-related. Maybe he's quietly hoping that things might change if Ross were no longer there.

Not that frequently, no. I don't think he was interviewed less than MS though. Not significantly anyway. I said it before too, it really seems like since LH was confirmed, he is not even mentioned by the team, at least very rarely. It is quite apparent from the get-go who the lead driver will be at Mercedes. Really looks like he is considered as a No.2 since September. Saying that, he will be given the same treatment and opportunities within the team as LH, IMHO. Its up to him. Uphill battle though, and it would not make any difference if Lowe would take the place of Brawn, I don't think that would get him any kind of fresh start within the team, so him not speaking up like LH did may even be his first mistake since LH arrived. It may be, of course, that he doesn't care. He just wants to drive.

#384 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 270 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 18:04

I think Nico's problem is that he comes off as very bland. I'm not saying that he is a bad fellow or a slow driver. It's just that his interviews don't stand out. If I were a journalist, I might not spend too much time with him either. However, as he has been a part of the organizations for 3 seasons, he could have some interesting things to say (if he would say them).

Edited by flatlander48, 27 January 2013 - 18:05.

#385 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,712 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 18:09

Will Lewis allow this?  ;)

#386 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,032 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 19:38

Not that frequently, no. I don't think he was interviewed less than MS though. Not significantly anyway. I said it before too, it really seems like since LH was confirmed, he is not even mentioned by the team, at least very rarely. It is quite apparent from the get-go who the lead driver will be at Mercedes.

I have to disagree with that, its understandable that there's going to be a lot of attention around Lewis, it is one of the biggest and most surprising driver moves in a long time, maybe since Alonso announced he was going to Mclaren a year in advance! It should also be noted that Lewis is British, so all the Brit media are going to be talking about him a lot more than Nico!

The "lead" 1 driver will be the one who has the best shot at the end of the year, which is how most teams operate anyway, i don't think Lewis will be the de facto number 1, he'll have to put himself in a position towards the end of the season for that to happen, if its Nico who is ahead then he'll be the "lead" driver.

#387 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,319 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 20:23

have we ever found out why lewis race engineer was gone, i got the impression he didn't want him any more or ?? or its still the excuse of maternity leave, maybe he is fired ??

#388 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,032 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 20:35

have we ever found out why lewis race engineer was gone, i got the impression he didn't want him any more or ?? or its still the excuse of maternity leave, maybe he is fired ??

It was maternity leave. Somethings (like family) come ahead of F1 on the priority list.

#389 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,529 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:56

I have to disagree with that, its understandable that there's going to be a lot of attention around Lewis, it is one of the biggest and most surprising driver moves in a long time, maybe since Alonso announced he was going to Mclaren a year in advance! It should also be noted that Lewis is British, so all the Brit media are going to be talking about him a lot more than Nico!

The "lead" 1 driver will be the one who has the best shot at the end of the year, which is how most teams operate anyway, i don't think Lewis will be the de facto number 1, he'll have to put himself in a position towards the end of the season for that to happen, if its Nico who is ahead then he'll be the "lead" driver.

well, we csan agree to disagree. LH was signed to be the lead driver. If NR does not want to slowly decline, he has an uphill battle ahead of him.

#390 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,153 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:34

well, we csan agree to disagree. LH was signed to be the lead driver. If NR does not want to slowly decline, he has an uphill battle ahead of him.

Where did you get this? Unless RB has confirm it, than this is wishful thinking on part of some people, and I don't think Ross has done it.

#391 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,529 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:14

Where did you get this? Unless RB has confirm it, than this is wishful thinking on part of some people, and I don't think Ross has done it.

It's an 'IMHO', of course. Lauda thinks he closed the LH deal, and he has expressed his admiration of Marko openly. Marko defends SV's status like a mother tiger on a daily basis. Expect the same from Lauda from the second day of Jerez.

edit: this is OT here sorry. Some posts maybe could be moved to the Merc thread?

Edited by Szoelloe, 28 January 2013 - 09:15.

#392 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,153 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 16:28

It's an 'IMHO', of course. Lauda thinks he closed the LH deal, and he has expressed his admiration of Marko openly. Marko defends SV's status like a mother tiger on a daily basis. Expect the same from Lauda from the second day of Jerez.

edit: this is OT here sorry. Some posts maybe could be moved to the Merc thread?

I am not sure where you can discuss drivers. People posted pretty angry responses when drivers were discussed in Car-thread, driver's threads were shut down (all but Kubica's), so..?

IMO if Marko would not defend Sebastian, who would? Frankly speaking, I am not aware of anyone; Vettle, loveable as he is, he is on his own most of the time, and those on his side usually keep quiet. When would you hear anyone come to Seb's defense after a race if not his self-appointed mentor?

In contrast, both drivers, Hamilton and Alonso have favourable headlines all the time, regardless whether they screw up, or not, and plety find "explanation" for bad results, whilst drivers have a layer of Tefflon on them.

#393 jjcale

jjcale

• 6,737 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:38

Lewis doesn’t have a problem with Lowe. He is non-committal in his interviews although the sky one shows a positive ...

Well thought out post... :up:

Unlike with Withmarsh I am not really sure about Lowe. Also I have heard things about Whitmarsh that back up my own obversations (via the media).... I've never heard anything about Lowe but my observations based on what I can see through the media suggests that LH is in a difficult position. Lowe is a proven designer but (I also get the impression that) he does not have a lot of respect for LH as a person (.... so I guess my position is not that different from Undersquare's - which you agree with - but we came to nearly the same conclusion using somewhat different routes).

I dont think LH has a problem with Lowe but nothing I have seen suggests that he is as thrilled about having the guy who designed the best car in 2012 join him at merc as he should be... which suggests that there is an issue. That issue could be that he does not want to see Brawn leave or it may be something else .... or he could suddenly have learned to stop wearing his heart on his sleeve :D

Anyway, the test of a theory is how it stacks up against future events (and not how well it explains past or even current events)... I have put my cards on the table as to what I think .... If future events show I'm right I will be sure to say... and if I am wrong, you will have to remind me what I said :p

#394 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,529 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:56

You really all 'overthink' this Lowe - LH thingy. I don't think he has a problem with Lowe. He just doesn't want to be haunted. He moved, left Mc behind, gets to do something new, has new goals, and than the boss from Mc moves over too? I mean you leave home, get a new life, and than mom moves in after you? He did not move with Mc staff. He did it alone. He has stated that Brawn was a factor in his decision. Of course he doesn't want Lowe to move after him, especially not as a substitute fr Brawn. It's nothing personal though, IMHO. If that was indeed originally Lauda's idea, it just highlights how really dumb the guy is.

#395 jjcale

jjcale

• 6,737 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 23:03

You really all 'overthink' this Lowe - LH thingy. I don't think he has a problem with Lowe. He just doesn't want to be haunted. He moved, left Mc behind, gets to do something new, has new goals, and than the boss from Mc moves over too? I mean you leave home, get a new life, and than mom moves in after you? He did not move with Mc staff. He did it alone. He has stated that Brawn was a factor in his decision. Of course he doesn't want Lowe to move after him, especially not as a substitute fr Brawn. It's nothing personal though, IMHO. If that was indeed originally Lauda's idea, it just highlights how really dumb the guy is.

....and I think the "he needed a change of scenery thing" is too romantic .... what sane driver would not want the guy who led the design of the best car from the previous year on his team?????

If he has no problem with Lowe joining Merc he should be the lead cheerleader for the move... No??

.... and dont tell me he is being diplomatic... the guy is like an open book.

Edited by jjcale, 28 January 2013 - 23:04.

#396 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,403 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 00:22

....and I think the "he needed a change of scenery thing" is too romantic .... what sane driver would not want the guy who led the design of the best car from the previous year on his team?????

If he has no problem with Lowe joining Merc he should be the lead cheerleader for the move... No??

I don't think Lewis has a problem with Paddy. However, I think Lewis really wants to work with Ross.

#397 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 270 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:21

IMO if Marko would not defend Sebastian, who would?

To a fault. Dr. Marko blamed Webber for the crash in Turkey a few years back, but he didn't recant after everyone else did. Sort of lacks objectivity, don't you think?

#398 Lazy

Lazy

• 4,633 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:28

It could be that he is just worried about the disruption such a move would cause and he is plainly keen to work with Brawn so any threat to him would clearly unsettle Lewis.

#399 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,153 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:30

To a fault. Dr. Marko blamed Webber for the crash in Turkey a few years back, but he didn't recant after everyone else did. Sort of lacks objectivity, don't you think?

You would be disappointed with my answer about that incident. It's 2013, lets look forward, instead dwelling on the past. LL is an essential process, but then one has to move on, don't you think?

Advertisement

#400 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,529 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:10

Have youu actually read what I wrote? I said he has a problem with lowe joining, but it not personal.

That may be your opinion, but I have not said he 'needed' a change, I said he obviously wanted it

Any sane driver though, since Lowe would not be joining to design, but to replace Brawn. That is not a good option for LH, it seems, according to himself. so there is simply no use in theorizing about personal feelings or frictions between them? NO?