Is di Resta under threat too?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 19:31

When I first heard this rumour I though "No way, surely?"

But, Dieter Rencken has the byline and I can't see his name going on something that you would have thought came from the likes of GMM.

http://www.motorspor...a_13011905.html

Advertisement

#2 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 19:39

I wouldn't be at all surprised.

#3 pRy

pRy

• 26,169 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 19:56

Did we ever find out why he suddenly broke away from Anthony Hamilton's management last year?

I think him missing out on the McLaren drive was a big blow to his career potential. Was he even in the running?

#4 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,345 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:04

Did we ever find out why he suddenly broke away from Anthony Hamilton's management last year?

I think him missing out on the McLaren drive was a big blow to his career potential. Was he even in the running?

The Mercedes drive that Lewis took might have been the original target. That would have created a conflict for Anthony (just guessing). But with both those drives gone, and probably off the table for years to come, his next move is not obvious.

#5 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:08

The tedious little man should never have been in F1 in the first place.

#6 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:10

It really pains you, doesn't it?
:kiss:

#7 Sith

Sith

• 1,308 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:13

Di Resta is a dud!!! Like all the other Scottish before him... That fact that he stepped 'sideways' after F3, shows him up for the average driver he is... The Hulk took 1/2 a season to get used to the Pirelli tyres, after sitting out a year.. He then steam rolled Di Resta, to get the drive @ Sauber...

I will be suprised if he's on the grid...

#8 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:19

Dude, you've got to try harder than that, poor and blatant wind up attempt.

#9 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:20

Di Resta is a dud!!! Like all the other Scottish before him...

Totes. Clark & Stewart were epic duds.

#10 F1EC

F1EC

• 913 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:23

Maybe he pissed off the wrong people by sacking Anthony Hamilton. It got him into the Button/Coulthard clique, but who knows how much clout Button has in the grand scheme of F1 things.

It was always hard to see how Button and Lewis Hamilton could have worked in harmony together after Button's company took Di Resta on. So if Di Resta's seen as someone who causes strife, it may explain why he's struggling for a (good) seat.

#11 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:23

He's actially quite tall. Just over six foot.

#12 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:27

All that hate makes me hope he'll be in F1 for a long time.

#13 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:28

Some form of personal sponsorhip dispute. I think there is a court case pending.

#14 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:32

Perhaps Force India now require two pay drivers, similar to Marussia. However I'm sure di Resta would be a very good 3rd driver for McLaren or Mercedes. Regardless of the venom in here from the crosseyed keyboard warriors, he has a good racing pedigree and is capable of some very strong results.

#15 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:48

Maybe he pissed off the wrong people by sacking Anthony Hamilton. It got him into the Button/Coulthard clique, but who knows how much clout Button has in the grand scheme of F1 things.

It was always hard to see how Button and Lewis Hamilton could have worked in harmony together after Button's company took Di Resta on. So if Di Resta's seen as someone who causes strife, it may explain why he's struggling for a (good) seat.

yes, Merc...

#16 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:49

What other driver gets the praise Paul does after two seasons of being out performed by his teammates.

Hopefully this will be his last season.

#17 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:54

The irony of board members having their judgement clouded by the clouded judgement of the national press is most amusing.

di Resta clearly warrants being in F1 and any replacement will be due to income, which on principle is a sham.

Edited by Disgrace, 21 January 2013 - 20:54.

#18 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:56

All that hate makes me hope he'll be in F1 for a long time.

And he should be mentioned in every news article and feature continuously in the BBC's coverage. Then they'll learn what hype actually is  ;)

#19 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:57

Why is everybody talking so bad about him? I think he did well not as good as Hülkenberg but stilll pretty good!

Advertisement

#20 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 21:02

Even though I think he isn't amazing, he certainly deserves to be in F1. It would be sad if he is dropped, not because I'm a fan of his, but because it would mean FI have turned into a pay driver team.

#21 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 21:02

I'll miss Paul in the helicopter before every race!

On a serious note, hope it's not true.

#22 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 21:10

The irony of board members having their judgement clouded by the clouded judgement of the national press is most amusing.

This.

#23 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 22:07

I may not like him very much but despite last season's late slump he's clearly good enough for his seat, and it'd be a shame if F1 would lose him much as it was to lose Timo Glock.

This is turning out to be a pretty bad Monday.

Edited by noikeee, 21 January 2013 - 22:08.

#24 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 22:16

If Di Resta is booted, I wont be shedding a tear that's for sure. Better drivers are on the sidelines.

#25 gd2

gd2

• 151 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 22:31

If Di Resta is booted, I wont be shedding a tear that's for sure. Better drivers are on the sidelines.

Who?

#26 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 22:57

How close to the start of the season has FI delayed the driver announcement in the past?

#27 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,145 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 23:10

Di Resta kinda mirrors Heinz-Harald Frentzen in that he got his place as a result of beating one of the main player in F1 years before. Unfortunately for Paul no one is willing to sack their world champion driver for him.

#28 Rosberg

Rosberg

• 217 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 23:10

http://thejudge13.co...driver-choices/

Bianchi and Razia? Surely not!

#29 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 23:59

Who?

Kobayashi
Glock
Kovalainen
Alguersuari
hell, even Barrichello if it came down to it.

And that's without listing all the coulda wouldas

#30 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 00:09

di Resta clearly warrants being in F1 and any replacement will be due to income, which on principle is a sham.

What if he were to be replaced by Kobayashi? I wouldn't see that as being a sham.

#31 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 00:38

I am not sold on Di Resta as being a great driver in waiting, but I do consider him better than Sutil. With the talent available, I do not understand Sutil continue to be in the conversations of seat at various teams. Bianchi I can understand to a degree, I am willing to see if he can live up to the hype.

The fact that teams needs sponsorship I understand, why companies willing to spend Usd 15 - 20 million chose to spend it on drivers clearly not the best available continue to puzzle me. Da Costa, Frinjs, Bianchi, Magnussen, Soerensen from Formula Renault 3.5 last season should be worth a try over Sutil, and then teamed with Di Resta to make a team of known and unknown driver strength.

:cool:

#32 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 400 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 00:54

I've heard several F1 journalists/commentators say that Di Resta isn't entirely enjoyable to work with. Although publicly I haven't seen anything to back this up.

Hard for me to find the source but several months ago in some articles, Will Buxton and James Allen said something along the lines of "blah blah blah instead of Di Resta, whom the team find difficult to work with". Just that single sentence, and no elaboration.

If he performs well, he might have openings in 2014 assuming Massa and Webber leave.

#33 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 00:55

Kobayashi
Glock
Kovalainen
Alguersuari
hell, even Barrichello if it came down to it.

And that's without listing all the coulda wouldas

There may be some drivers considered to be better than di Resta, but none of them are going to be getting his seat. As Disgrace said, if di Resta is going to be replaced at this late hour, it will be because Force India have run into financial problems and need a paydriver with a lot of cash. I don't want to see a decent driver replaced by someone like Razia.

#34 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:06

What other driver gets the praise Paul does after two seasons of being out performed by his teammates.

Hopefully this will be his last season.

Grosjean. :kiss:

Utterly demolished on two occasions and still some think he could be worth Lotus building a future on. :rotfl:

#35 Craigster

Craigster

• 82 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:11

I'd never really heard of this site so have done some digging around it and it seems to have one storming line up of writers including Timo Glock, Tiago Monteiro, Hans-Joachim Stuck, Marc Surer and Karl Wendlinger. It has journalists too :)
http://www.motorspor.../impressum.html

Shame it is just in German
:(

#36 KinoNoNo

KinoNoNo

• 378 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:27

You watch now, all the British pundits suddenly start getting upset about pay-drivers.

/Bitter Kobayashi Fan.

#37 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:26

It is interesting that they confirm Sutil as well, which I find hard to believe. I think d Resta will be safe, he is thier best hope for success and has drivne 2 very strong seasons and without teamorders he will shows his full potential.

#38 just me again

just me again

• 6,665 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:10

Has Force India ever confirmed De Resta??

I think they do not have the money to confirm him. So we will either see Force India with Kartekyan(SP?) and some other paydriver or not at all!!!.

Bjørn

#39 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:15

Don't like Paul,but would be angry if he's kicked out for Razia?

Advertisement

#40 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,497 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:34

I've read the same complaints about DiResta in relation to his work with his fellow engineers. I guess some of the flak he is receiving is the direct result of the British broadcasting about him. He was the next best thing, even better than sliced bread. No critical note was given in the past seasons. More and more people are getting annoyed by that and when he leaves, the press will stop making a hero out of him as well.

#41 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:39

Why is everybody talking so bad about him? I think he did well not as good as Hülkenberg but stilll pretty good!

Because he's British, which means he is a racist slave-trading Imperial oppressor who hates Germans for no reason.

#42 just me again

just me again

• 6,665 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:09

I was thinking the most likely driver pairing is Karthekeyan and Petrov.

Karthekeyan because he probably can find sponsors to a seat in an Indian team.
Petrov because he probably can find sponsors to a seat in a competive car.

Bjørn

Edited by just me again, 22 January 2013 - 09:09.

#43 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:37

You watch now, all the British pundits suddenly start getting upset about pay-drivers.

/Bitter Kobayashi Fan.

Whilst having to be polite about Max Chilton!

#44 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:43

Because he's British, which means he is a racist slave-trading Imperial oppressor who hates Germans for no reason.

Huh? If you mean to imply that most of the hate comes from non-Brits, may i remind you that the main reason for disliking him seems to be the overly positive light he is portrayed in on BBC and BSkyB?

#45 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:44

Whilst having to be polite about Max Chilton!

Nobody is obliged to be polite about Max Chilton unless they're actually employed by Marussia. :p

Come to think of it, it's going to be interesting to see what the likes of Brundle say about him when the season starts!

#46 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:45

:lol:
Getting a little defensive there, Mr E?

As has already been discussed, most people's problem with PdR was/is the overwhelming hype and fawning from the BBC and Sky; every time the man squeezed out a turd they all went running and bowed down before it. In reality most people realise he's a very good driver, easily top 20, but constantly suggesting that the top teams were drooling at the very thought of recruiting him only served to put backs up when it was plain to every objective eye he was having trouble enough with his team mates.

#47 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:46

Huh? If you mean to imply that most of the hate comes from non-Brits, may i remind you that the main reason for disliking him seems to be the overly positive light he is portrayed in on BBC and BSkyB?

Which non-Brits don't see. Plus, and this is going out on a limb here, I would suggest Spanish TV supports Alonso ever so slightly.

#48 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:50

Which non-Brits don't see. Plus, and this is going out on a limb here, I would suggest Spanish TV supports Alonso ever so slightly.

Of course, I suspect they're just as bad, but to be fair he has done a little more to warrant it.

#49 f203ga

f203ga

• 10 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:52

The thing that is strange about di Resta is that he is clearly a want-away driver from Force India. Ever since the summer he has been talking about going to top teams and he never talks about Force India in terms of helping the team to improve to become more competitive (like Perez at Sauber for example), he just seems resigned to Force India never being properly competitive and wants to move on as soon as possible.

Once he missed out on the McLaren drive he seemed to get a bad case of Massa-itis - his confidence was down and there hasn't really been a way back for him in 2012 (bar one or two good performances all season). His first season was ok, matching Sutil was a good achievement, but Hulkenburg has outclassed him after a year on the sidelines.

Hulkenburg's move to Sauber lends some weight to the rumours that FI are in trouble - he jumped before he could be pushed. Now di Resta faces being Kovalainen-ed (if Mike Gascoyne's comments are to be believed) with the added issue that FI need money. Sutil and Senna for 2013?

#50 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:04

Most don't. And i don't see how Spanish TV is even relevant here.