• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:45

http://www.motorspor...o_13012301.html

According to the article, Horner met with Ferrari's personnel chief Mario Mairano in December. It also says that Italian media reported it - if someone could find a direct link to the originator of this, that would be great. Silly Season just gets even sillier though.

Advertisement

#2 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:52

According to the article, Horner met with Ferrari's personnel chief Mario Mairano in December. It also says that Italian media reported it - if someone could find a direct link to the originator of this, that would be great. Silly Season just gets even sillier though.

Apparently Ferrari try to get Horner either to get Newey or they do the whole maneuvre only to destabilize Red Bull. Also the article points out that Stefano Domenicalli's position at Ferrari is not 100% sure.

#3 peroa

peroa

• 10,781 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:58

Maybe they'll get the whole package: Vettel, Newey, Horner

#4 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:59

source is gazzetta dello sport:
Posted Image

#5 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:13

Crazier things have happened in F1 so I wouldn't shrug this one off. Red Bull is a problem for Ferrari. They can make a fast car but Red Bull are proving to be frustratingly difficult to beat.

If you can't beat them, then buy them. However I cannot imagine what it would cost to buy out Newey and Horner. Red Bull GmbH generates close to a billion in revenue every year and has a marketing budget that they can just splurge on anything. The team will throw anything on Newey and Horner to make them stay.

#6 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:26

You left out Dr Marko ;)

#7 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:29

I think it's far more likely Webber goes with Horner to Ferrari than Vettel doing so. I thought it had been made clear (and emphatically) recently that Vettel wasnt going anywhere.

#8 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:32

I think it's far more likely Webber goes with Horner to Ferrari than Vettel doing so. I thought it had been made clear (and emphatically) recently that Vettel wasnt going anywhere.

I would imagine Vettel has exit clauses in his contract in the event that Newey and/or Horner leave.

#9 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:34

I would imagine Vettel has exit clauses in his contract in the event that Newey and/or Horner leave.

Doesnt SV allegedly manage himself? if so, who knows what his contract is like.

Edited by jjcale, 23 January 2013 - 11:21.

#10 krea

krea

• 2,166 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:44

What do they want with Webber?

#11 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,733 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:07

Horner's contract was extended in December. That was after Merc showed interest. Could well be that Ferrari were as well and RB have already acted to fend them off.

#12 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:20

Doesnt SV allegedly manage himself? if so, who know what his contract is like.

Surely Dr.Marko guides every step of young Seb...

#13 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:21

It's been a few crazy days lately hasn't it.

It sounded like an insane move when I saw the thread title, but it does make sense. Domenicali's stint as team principal has awarded them 0 driver titles in 5 seasons - with the rather hot-blooded mentality over there I'm surprised he's been kept so long. Horner has a much better record having been hugely successful building up a lesser team, and hiring him would be the best move to weaken Red Bull providing they can't get Newey or Vettel.

However if Horner was indeed recently given a contract renewal it points out to Red Bull having convinced him to stay - to great financial expense no doubt.

#14 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:26

No matter what happens it is largely irrelevant for this season and then from 2014, well, everything is being shaken up anyway so no change will be too big in my mind.

#15 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:33

What does Horner actually do? Newey has a level of control of the tech dept you don't get at other teams, Marko is arguably running the driver side...

#16 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,733 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:56

Don't know, but whatever he does do he seems to be doing it right compared to others in the same role.

#17 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:57

Yeah but I just implied he doesn't really do the same job. Tech, driver, and commercial issues are somewhat self-contained.

#18 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,733 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:00

I know what you mean but I think there is far more to the role in the background than we ever get to see.

#19 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,624 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:02

He does have keep putting out those fires Marko seems to like starting... :lol:

Advertisement

#20 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:10

I know what you mean but I think there is far more to the role in the background than we ever get to see.

I don't think he 'does nothing' but certainly less than most?

#21 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:11

Been a bit crazy this off-season so far! :drunk:

#22 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,353 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:15

Surely Dr.Marko guides every step of young Seb...

Vettel manages himself. And he's not stupid - unlike Marko, one might say :x

#23 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,733 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:16

I don't think he 'does nothing' but certainly less than most?

Wouldn't like to say as I don't know the anywhere near enough about the role. I suspect there are others doing the same sub roles at other teams as RB, but just at RB they are a bit more high profile.

#24 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,110 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:24

According to the Gazzetta article Ferrari insiders 'laughed at' these rumours when they were told of them. It also states that Domenicali's position as TP is very solid.

#25 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:45

They could have the whole package: Alonso, Newey, Horner

Slightly tweaked that for you :)

What does Horner actually do? Newey has a level of control of the tech dept you don't get at other teams, Marko is arguably running the driver side...

He does TV interviews of a most impressively disingenuous nature. I find him both irritating and admirable in equal measure.

Edited by 3011969, 23 January 2013 - 12:49.

#26 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,901 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:49

And if they can persuade Red Bull to replace Santander too ......

Henri

#27 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:53

That's what they did to Benetton I suppose. Back in the day.

#28 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:55

Well, the meeting was not so secret when we are discussing it in here. Maybe Horner was offered a position with Ferrari...

#29 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:57

Why would he meet the personnel chief? To take an HR exam?

#30 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 13:02

If Horner is talking to Ferrari it must be about F1 political issues as Ferrari and RedBull have completely opposite views on the direction the sport should take. Maybe they're trying to come to an agreement.

#31 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 13:02

Administration and Operations are multifaceted areas with multiplicity of activities, which somebody needs to put it together, and my educated guess is, that neither Newey, Marko, nor Vettel wants to have anything to do with it, never mind having time or aptitude for it. Managing resources is tedious and not always satisfying job. In conclusion, Horner is busy, very busy, he just performs different things in background, essential, but not always glamorous.

Edited by Sakae, 23 January 2013 - 13:04.

#32 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 13:03

There a probably lots of topics Ferrari and RBR could wish to discuss in secrecy.

#33 katmen

katmen

• 823 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 13:08

I think, that rumour is very subtle tool for increase of domenicalli wdc and wcc performance next season. I think, that ferrari needs results very soon, Diaz is very impatient for his next wdc after 5 years drought.

#34 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 13:21

Games are being played.

#35 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 393 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:04

I don't know what Newey's contract situation is, but Vettel will still be bound to Red Bull. It is extremely doubtful if Red Bull would accept a buy-out of Vettel's contract.

#36 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 393 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:09

Why would he meet the personnel chief? To take an HR exam?

No, drug test...

Can't trust those Team Principals, you know. The lot of 'em are on a heady cocktail of Ginko Biloba and Ex-Lax. Sort of working on both ends of the spectrum, so to speak...

#37 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:10

'If you can't beat them, buy them' won't work with Red Bull because Ferrari would never be able to get Newey.

#38 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,885 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:27

We have been told that one of the main reasons Newey didn't sign with Ferrari it's because his family want to stay in the UK, what does it matter if Horner leaves?. If it was a meeting, I doubt it has anything to do with Horner going to Ferrari.

#39 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:33

probably seen as a key to getting access to Red Bull resources. Kinda like Bobby Rahal back in the Jaguar days which was funnily enough about getting Adrian Newey then too.

Advertisement

#40 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 393 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:40

Excellent choice of words!

#41 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:45

Right, so Horner to Ferrari, Brawn then to Redbull and Ron Dennis to Williams.

Sorted.

#42 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:46

That's what they did to Benetton I suppose. Back in the day.

Except that they let Benetton keep Flav.

#43 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:52

Thats the last thing he's doing.

He's wanted Webber out for 3 years and he's still there. Pretty solid evidence that he most certainly is not in control of the drivers side!

The reality is he has such vested interest in Sebastian Vettel, he carry's on as if its a 1 man team. I get the impression that whilst Horner, Newey and Marko all recognise the value and status of Vettel (clearly the number 1 in expectation, if not contract), only Horner and Newey ALSO recognise the value of a decent teammate who can keep Vettel on his toes, take points of the opposition, deliver the constructors etc. I get the impression that Horner and Newey don't find Marko "helpful"... a lot of the time.

#44 BoozeBaron

BoozeBaron

• 261 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:55

Red Bull GmbH generates close to a billion in revenue every year and has a marketing budget that they can just splurge on anything.

Not to nitpick (read as, me being an a$$hat) ... but that number seemed kinda low to me...

Red Bull GmbH Revenue €4.253 Billion (2011) ($5.67B USD)

http://www.redbull.c...d=1242937556133

#45 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:57

Thats the last thing he's doing.

He's wanted Webber out for 3 years and he's still there. Pretty solid evidence that he most certainly is not in control of the drivers side!

The reality is he has such vested interest in Sebastian Vettel, he carry's on as if its a 1 man team. I get the impression that whilst Horner, Newey and Marko all recognise the value and status of Vettel (clearly the number 1 in expectation, if not contract), only Horner and Newey ALSO recognise the value of a decent teammate who can keep Vettel on his toes, take points of the opposition, deliver the constructors etc. I get the impression that Horner and Newey don't find Marko "helpful"... a lot of the time.

I agree with you there. Imo, Horner has the hardest job at Red Bull as he has to keep all these egos under check, making sure the pit-stop crew don't succumb to pressure and answer to a demanding billionaire owner expecting results. His interviews may be annoying, but clearly he's helped create Red Bull Racing into a well-oiled championship team.

#46 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:15

What do they want with Webber?

If you need to be told that, with respect you're possibly a bit thick.

What did they want with Webber this year?

#47 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:17

If Horner is talking to Ferrari it must be about F1 political issues as Ferrari and RedBull have completely opposite views on the direction the sport should take. Maybe they're trying to come to an agreement.

Really ? that's not how I see it, I'd say they were in agreement, neither want resource restrictions which would stop them out spending others to success as they currently do, and both would like to run extra cars, either a 3rd car or a 2nd team (STR).

#48 BiH

BiH

• 2,460 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:26

Ferrari engine deal in the works?

Red Bull has to keep its options open for 2014, with the new units its very likely that the two best engines will come out of Mercedes and Ferrari.

#49 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:26

When it comes to Marko, it sounds like you are confusing respect for power.

#50 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,220 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:27

I think if Horner would like to go to Ferrari we would not know before signing the contract. Did anybody know about Lewis except Eddie?