Photo

Mdina Grand Prix 2013

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:15

To all owners of classic cars - here's a chance to experience something completely different. Over one weekend in October, a small section of the Maltese road system is closed and turned into a race circuit. Last year's event took the following form; on Saturday drivers ran single timed laps, on their own - four runs each; on Sunday, cars were let loose in groups of around 5 to 8 to have a right old carve up for four or five laps - each group getting around four runs. It was great fun as I'm sure former Grand Prix driver Rupert Keegan will attest - he took part last year.

In addition, there is always a Concours d'Elegance in the ancient capital on the preceeding Friday.

Here is the official press release for this year's event:

"The Valletta Grand Prix Foundation would like to announce that the entries for this year’s Mdina Grand Prix are open for interested drivers .

This year it has been decided by the organisers, the number of entries will be limited to slightly less than the years before and although the entries will be accepted on a first come first served basis, a further choice will have to take place selecting the more interesting candidates to make the event even more spectacular. The closing date for applications is the 31st of August."

I know it's a long way to bring your E-type, Aston Martin DB.4 etc etc etc, but for an enjoyable and very different event, in the lovely October sunshine, it's well worth thinking about.

If anyone wants any more info, please post on this thread or send me a p.m.

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 20:37

This little film will give you a much better idea of the event I'm talking about than my words ever will.

http://www.facebook....5...e=2

I'm not sure if you have to be a Facebook member to watch it but try it anyway.

#3 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 21:43

Wow ! Excellent footage, looks like you were being kept on your toes Barry  ;)

Now wondering if I can think of anyone with a suitable vehicle with whom I can hitch a ride with for this years event :up:

#4 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 21:08

I have now located this video in a form that does not require Facebook to look at it: