• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4312 replies to this topic

#1 SnoWhite

SnoWhite

• 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 19:27

Here we have a new Lotus car. Looks like it's going to be fast. :cool:

http://sphotos-g.ak....324608865_o.jpg

Edited by SnoWhite, 16 January 2013 - 19:28.

Advertisement

#2 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 22:26

well we can make a topic with this picture about E21. just wonder what is that. I believe it is somewhere around driver head,

#3 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:50

So we will get our car earliest. And we have absolutely no info about technical details yet. Is it good? I mean, maybe we will get something amazing, and no one heard about it yet. And as far as we all know it will be evolution of E20.
Also we will get online presentation. Personally for me, it is quite better idea, cuz we will get to see our car at the very same time as rest of the world (will not need to wait for photos).

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/105251

#4 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:23

Posted Image
preview pic, probably the R31. :D

#5 Pulkit

Pulkit

• 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:25

I guess let's wait and watch , because hopes are high with Kimi for this year. I will expect him to be more aggressive as last year he was very much focused and careful. About Lotus E21 with sponsors arriving on bard and possibly of Honeywell as a title sponsor possibly is great that Lotus will have good car. I think they should now cure the problem of tyre temperature in low track temperature. and main DDRS? what about that?...

#6 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:14

Link
Romain will get the first outing with the E21 - he will test 5./6. february, Kimi 7./8.

#7 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:42

Link
Romain will get the first outing with the E21 - he will test 5./6. february, Kimi 7./8.

So Romain is their official #2 driver then? Traditionally the number two will do the first day of testing with the boring checkups and making sure there are no major flaws in the car.

#8 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:14

So Romain is their official #2 driver then? Traditionally the number two will do the first day of testing with the boring checkups and making sure there are no major flaws in the car.

I wouldn't read too much in that. still, Lopez ain't stupid one. He is well aware, that if he wants to achieve smt he will focus on Raikkonen. Who would focus on driver that brought home 50% pts of his teammate?

#9 IceCold

IceCold

• 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:32

Picture of E21 https://pbs.twimg.co...2TjCEAAlbH0.jpg, plus sound of first fire up of E21 https://soundcloud.com/lotusf1team.

#10 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 19:48

Picture of E21 https://pbs.twimg.co...2TjCEAAlbH0.jpg, plus sound of first fire up of E21 https://soundcloud.com/lotusf1team.

:well: seems like a step nose.
well, assuming that is a nose from the front. :D the bulge in the back does look like the bulge on the setp of the nosecone on the E20.

Edited by Zava, 24 January 2013 - 19:51.

#11 Diderlo

Diderlo

• 170 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 20:07

:well: seems like a step nose.
well, assuming that is a nose from the front. :D the bulge in the back does look like the bulge on the setp of the nosecone on the E20.

I don't see nose there. And the paint would be a little bit weird too, if it was taken from the front. But maybe it is, I don't know.

#12 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,407 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 18:28

Kimi was at the factory today

Posted Image

#13 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,407 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 18:29

Lotus signs multi-year deal with Alpinestars
http://www.lotusf1te...ts-Up-with.html

#14 Grosjean

Grosjean

• 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 18:39

Lotus signs multi-year deal with Alpinestars
http://www.lotusf1te...ts-Up-with.html

who was their team apparel sponsor before alpinestars ?

#15 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 18:55

who was their team apparel sponsor before alpinestars ?

OMP, I think.

Räikkönen always seems to prefer Alpinestars overalls, two sizes too big if possible.

#16 cokeb

cokeb

• 114 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 19:18

OMP, I think.

Räikkönen always seems to prefer Alpinestars overalls, two sizes too big if possible.

Matches his caps at least.  ;)

#17 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,888 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 19:58

Just like JV... Or, that was even more :p

#18 zepunishment

zepunishment

• 603 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:55

Given the funding rumours in circulation by the end of last year they may struggle more this year. It takes a lot of money to sustain development over the course of a full season.

#19 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:15

the team already running dry on fund since last summer, hence the poor development.

Advertisement

#20 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:17

yea, the no.2 driver get all the upgrades first from valencia to hockenheim period while Kimi had to wait until hungary.

Not bad huh?? When your TP is your manager at the same time!!

#21 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:41

yea, the no.2 driver get all the upgrades first from valencia to hockenheim period while Kimi had to wait until hungary.

Not bad huh?? When your TP is your manager at the same time!!

that's not true. as far as I can recall these events, both were receving some updates and comparing them, and both were using them. And if someone was really without a update it was Grosjean. Also Raikkonen was testing the DDRS

#22 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:24

that's not true. as far as I can recall these events, both were receving some updates and comparing them, and both were using them. And if someone was really without a update it was Grosjean. Also Raikkonen was testing the DDRS

Thats the truth. Read from autosport release on december issue.

Ted Kravitz reported the same thing during that period. Eric Boulier claimed that they take turn to get the new updates, however, Kimi only got the update (passive DDRS) that couldn't be used and proven failure in the end.

And how is Kimi benefitted for testing passive DRS that couldn't be use while wasting the precious setup times on FPs?

#23 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:41

Thats the truth. Read from autosport release on december issue.

Ted Kravitz reported the same thing during that period. Eric Boulier claimed that they take turn to get the new updates, however, Kimi only got the update (passive DDRS) that couldn't be used and proven failure in the end.

And how is Kimi benefitted for testing passive DRS that couldn't be use while wasting the precious setup times on FPs?

well they gave Kimi DDRS coz of being more predictable. Plus I believe that for Kimi 2x FP is enough to get correct setup. He even once mentioned that during FP3 they had better setup than during Qualifications coz they wanted to change smt more. So tbh good driver can find the setup within 1-2 FPs

#24 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:43

well they gave Kimi DDRS coz of being more predictable. Plus I believe that for Kimi 2x FP is enough to get correct setup. He even once mentioned that during FP3 they had better setup than during Qualifications coz they wanted to change smt more. So tbh good driver can find the setup within 1-2 FPs

you can always try something else to push beyond limit. Without precious time, it will ended up like Kimi in Suzuka Q3 for pushing too hard and losing setup time in Fp1 and Fp2 due to roll bar failure and kers failure that wiped off whole sessions.

#25 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 13:24

I'm expecting mid-season development to falter again. Too many itsy-bitsy sponsorship deals instead of one really big one. If they don't have a good start, then it'll be a pretty poor season IMO.

#26 ASenna94

ASenna94

• 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 13:31

well, i could say that the first driver to test the car is more important because he gives the first feedback and decides whats good about the car and what is not according to his driving style and therefore determines to an extent the direction of car development

#27 SpamJet

SpamJet

• 801 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 13:35

Link

I hope they can put the car back together by the 7th after RG totally detroys it,

#28 Busted

Busted

• 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 13:50

Can you remind me how many times Grosjean crashed during testing?

#29 SpamJet

SpamJet

• 801 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 14:20

Can you remind me how many times Grosjean crashed during testing?

No, it's just my opinion. If you're that interested go look it up.

#30 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 14:35

Really impressive work from the technical department to enable a Jan 28th presentation.

To think that the baseline E21 is ready to be paraded and shipped to Spain means that the technical office is already in the process of producing updates for the 2nd test. Nice!

#31 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 14:44

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Kimi talking about the new e21

#32 Busted

Busted

• 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 14:49

No, it's just my opinion. If you're that interested go look it up.

Opinion based on absolutely nothing, nice.

In the same manner I hope Grosejan doesn't have plans for 7th and 8th February, because Lotus will need someone to drive E21, after Raikkonen will show up drunk, unable to test F1 car.

Edited by Busted, 26 January 2013 - 14:50.

#33 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 14:54

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

GOD

#34 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 15:42

I should make it clear that this thread is for discussing the Lotus E21 car developments. Talking about who is better out of Kimi or Romain is off-topic for this thread, and should be placed in this thread for the 2013 season.

As the E21 has not yet been launched, a better subject would be to talk about the weaknesses of the E20, or areas you wish to see improved for this year car.

Thanks

#35 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,314 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 15:52

I'm just glad were freed from those ugly noses and have normal noses now with that artificial cover being allowed.

#36 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:42

Posts removed - please read my post above.

#37 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:50

weakness = car is too picky on condition. Couldn't heat tyre fast enough, often suffer terribly after safety cars came in and cool track. Suffer on hard tyre too as the low deg advantage was gone compare to other teams.

Overall, E21 has to improve all on area.

straightline pace = More raceable and able to defend car from behind on the straights. The E20 was hopeless even with DRS activated. Often only on clean air that the car can show its pace, but suffer to overtake car in front and hindered the car potential.

Traction = The car didn't had any until they implement coanda late in the season.

Power insufficient due to coanda = Need to recover as much as possible.

Acceleration = make the car more raceable.

Kers reliability = its unbelievable how many kers failure kimi had all the while in 2012. Romain had only suffered once if i recall correctly.

Downforce = I remember kimi had to race with full wing setup in Spa because they couldn't run it on mid df setup as the car couldn't get the grip from the tyre.

Edited by VoonDerful, 26 January 2013 - 17:54.

#38 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 18:01

well, i could say that the first driver to test the car is more important because he gives the first feedback and decides whats good about the car and what is not according to his driving style and therefore determines to an extent the direction of car development

Maybe not. I don't think they change new aerodynamic or mechanical development programs after the first 2 days but after the first test week. So in a way Romain first dials the car out a bit and Kimi has the final say :D

Just speculation.

Edited by Mauseri, 26 January 2013 - 18:02.

#39 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 18:12

weakness = car is too picky on condition. Couldn't heat tyre fast enough, often suffer terribly after safety cars came in and cool track. Suffer on hard tyre too as the low deg advantage was gone compare to other teams.

Overall, E21 has to improve all on area.

straightline pace = More raceable and able to defend car from behind on the straights. The E20 was hopeless even with DRS activated. Often only on clean air that the car can show its pace, but suffer to overtake car in front and hindered the car potential.

Traction = The car didn't had any until they implement coanda late in the season.

Power insufficient due to coanda = Need to recover as much as possible.

Acceleration = make the car more raceable.

Kers reliability = its unbelievable how many kers failure kimi had all the while in 2012. Romain had only suffered once if i recall correctly.

Downforce = I remember kimi had to race with full wing setup in Spa because they couldn't run it on mid df setup as the car couldn't get the grip from the tyre.

They had really good downforce actually. The Spa accident was due to tyres that couldn't get enough heat and they werent working at all. That's why they needed to put as much DF as they could to make them work at all

Advertisement

#40 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 18:15

They had really good downforce actually. The Spa accident was due to tyres that couldn't get enough heat and they werent working at all. That's why they needed to put as much DF as they could to make them work at all

well, not able to grip the tyre mostly came down to lacking downforce. That might be the key to keep the car degrade tyre slowly.

#41 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 19:33

well, not able to grip the tyre mostly came down to lacking downforce. That might be the key to keep the car degrade tyre slowly.

Lotus did not lack downforce and lack of downforce is not a good reason for being unable to warm up tyres anyway.

#42 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:33

Lotus did not lack downforce and lack of downforce is not a good reason for being unable to warm up tyres anyway.

it is one of the critical element. During austin, kimi claim that rbr suffer the least among other team because the car had enormous downforce.

Kimi also said the reason why they always proceed slowly from free practices 1 to fp3 was because the track was fresh in Fp1, until fp3 there are more rubber on the track and it even out the disadvantage. Stating lotus did not lack downforce is not true, the first thing when Permane ask Kimi what you need, his reply was downforce, according to the interview from autosport to Alan Permane.

#43 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:28

So from what you people mention, Lotus had shitty traction, bad downforce, no top speed, simply bad quali speed, bad accelration, unreliable KERS.

Sooo... why it was mentioned as one of best cars especially in 1st half, that got many podiums and even a win in 2nd half? I mean seriously. From these descriptions that u post here, it sounds that it was on par with Toro Rosso, and somehow Raikkonen got 3rd in WDC and 4th in WCC as a team even with a rookie that had a shitload of brain fades

#44 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:17

So from what you people mention, Lotus had shitty traction, bad downforce, no top speed, simply bad quali speed, bad accelration, unreliable KERS.

Sooo... why it was mentioned as one of best cars especially in 1st half, that got many podiums and even a win in 2nd half? I mean seriously. From these descriptions that u post here, it sounds that it was on par with Toro Rosso, and somehow Raikkonen got 3rd in WDC and 4th in WCC as a team even with a rookie that had a shitload of brain fades

most team suffer on tyre during 1st half of the season, Lotus manage to hang on with low deg advantage. When condition met, the advantage is enormous.

And of course the downforce level wasnt that bad, just not enough to fight with top 3. However, with low deg on soft tyre, E20 manage to hang on the edge.

#45 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:21

it is one of the critical element. During austin, kimi claim that rbr suffer the least among other team because the car had enormous downforce.

Kimi also said the reason why they always proceed slowly from free practices 1 to fp3 was because the track was fresh in Fp1, until fp3 there are more rubber on the track and it even out the disadvantage. Stating lotus did not lack downforce is not true, the first thing when Permane ask Kimi what you need, his reply was downforce, according to the interview from autosport to Alan Permane.

Everyone would like to have more downforce. It is true that Red Bull had more downforce, and some other teams also better aerodynamic efficiency (downforcer/drag).

#46 santababy

santababy

• 419 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:57

:lol:

Can't wait for Monday! :clap:

#47 Trust

Trust

• 5,153 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 14:38

The real Lotus car will be at the first test. This is going to be just a mockup, like last year.

#48 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 1,593 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 14:51

Everyone would like to have more downforce. It is true that Red Bull had more downforce, and some other teams also better aerodynamic efficiency (downforcer/drag).

It's not quite that simple - the Red Bull is seemingly at it's most efficient (downforce/drag) in a high downforce configuration, wheras others peak efficiency would be in lower downforce configurations.

If Lotus wanted to match (or exceed) Red Bull's downforce they could add higher downforce wings - but this would be inefficient compared to the Red Bull.

#49 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 15:51

It's not quite that simple - the Red Bull is seemingly at it's most efficient (downforce/drag) in a high downforce configuration, wheras others peak efficiency would be in lower downforce configurations.

If Lotus wanted to match (or exceed) Red Bull's downforce they could add higher downforce wings - but this would be inefficient compared to the Red Bull.

I did not say that Red Bull had the best downforce/drag ratio (for all circuits), but propably they had most downforce.

Edited by Mauseri, 27 January 2013 - 15:52.

#50 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 1,593 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 16:00

I did not say that Red Bull had the best downforce/drag ratio (for all circuits), but propably they had most downforce.

You said others had greater aerodynamic efficiency - which I was pointing out does not apply at all levels of downforce.

Red Bull run comparatively more downforce because that is more efficient for their concept, others run less downforce because that is more efficient for theirs.

You could have two cars, one with more downforce and more drag and the other a lower downforce and less draggy car, have exactly the same downforce/drag ratio.