* * * * - 17 votes

Lotus E21

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4314 replies to this topic

#601 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 14:26

Interesting to see red on Kimi's helmet as well. There's definitely something to it.

Advertisement

#602 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,883 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 14:30

According to TS, first three hours pf todays test Kimi wasn't happy with his driving positions and that needed tweaking.

Edited by Vesuvius, 07 February 2013 - 14:31.

#603 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 14:35

Driving positions meaning seating position or set-up?

#604 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,883 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 14:37

Driving positions meaning seating position or set-up?

Not sure, maybe a bit of both.

#605 Viljami

Viljami

• 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 14:57

Not sure, maybe a bit of both.

No, just the seat. And my first post here :D

#606 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 944 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:04

Welcome :wave:

#607 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,883 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:05

Ok thanks and welcome to posting this forum! :)

#608 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:09

Kimi is now doing more amount of laps and his first day will be better than Romains in both terms of laps (if he continues like that)and time (pointless to compare though)

Kimi should have done much more laps by now, the first day is for system checks and so on. Vettel is also in the car for the first time and he has already done 80 laps. This is why Lotus is frustrating at times it has almost been two hours since Kimi has been out and yet they dont report anything. They have obviously been having problems in general, as they just haven't got the laps on the board. On the first day Grosjean also disappeared for two hours and then it was actually another Kers failure.

#609 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,883 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:13

Kimi should have done much more laps by now, the first day is for system checks and so on. Vettel is also in the car for the first time and he has already done 80 laps. This is why Lotus is frustrating at times it has almost been two hours since Kimi has been out and yet they dont report anything. They have obviously been having problems in general, as they just haven't got the laps on the board. On the first day Grosjean also disappeared for two hours and then it was actually another Kers failure.

Didn't knew about the kers problem Grosjean had but thanks for telling! Yup it has been an hour and half know Kimi was last seen on track, he was trying to go back at one point but was stopped on pitlane and pulled back to the pit....must be some problem indeed but that's why they test anyway to get rid of these problems!

#610 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:15

Thank you!

#611 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:19

It's all doom and gloom now? Button also had done less number of laps on the first day and today. Ferrari was also sitting for a reasonable stretches yesterday and day before. Lotus had two very good days by all counts. I don't see the need for skepticism so early..

#612 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 468 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:21

I think the person updating Lotus' Twitter is an annoying idiot.

Totally agree. Making silly jokes all the time when people are seriously asking why the Lotus has just 40 laps. I bet we all could do it better :p

#613 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,883 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:28

Will see if Kimi comes out anymore, seems like a bigger problem indeed but let's hope for better tomorrow.

#614 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,159 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:30

Please take the "blow by blow" posts about testing to the live page or the testing thread

#615 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,883 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:34

According to TS electrical problems on Kimi's car and he won't be on track anymore today but Lotus got their planned program mainly done.

#616 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:35

According to TS electrical problems on Kimi's car and he won't be on track anymore today but Lotus got their planned program mainly done.

So KERS it is.

#617 swerved

swerved

• 3,615 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:36

Good interview:

http://www.formula1....test Interviews

Q: So when he says on the team radio ‘Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing’ you have to just trust him?

EB: Yes, you have to have a lot of trust! (laughs) On top of being Kimi - the character that we know - he did cleverly build his system. It takes some time until he gets up to speed, but he is delivering because he knows that probably his strongest asset is race craft. And little by little over the course of the year he adjusted all the parameters to make himself fast, strong and in a position to deliver - the Kimi we like! He might have his moments sometimes, but it is up to us to adjust what we want to achieve to his style rather than the reverse. I probably prefer to switch the team to the style of Kimi.

#618 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:41

Seat not fit properly + Electrical problem

As always, Lotus always slack on preparation.

BTW, kimi set 1.19.2 on hard compound....shame we couldn't see more when he was out on medium and the electrical problem pop out.

#619 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,880 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:51

Seat not fit properly + Electrical problem

As always, Lotus always slack on preparation.

Come on, it is a new car. Stop whining already. Just compare to day 1-2 of mercedes.
They did some laps, tommorow is another day.

Advertisement

#620 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:54

It's all doom and gloom now? Button also had done less number of laps on the first day and today. Ferrari was also sitting for a reasonable stretches yesterday and day before. Lotus had two very good days by all counts. I don't see the need for skepticism so early..

Overreaction now? Lotus tweets all kinds of irrelevant stuff, it would be nice if they can just give out normal informative tweets every once and a while. Even in the two good days Lotus didn't actually do much laps. Other teams like Force India for example will just say they had an exhaust failure and their day is over.

#621 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:09

Overreaction now? Lotus tweets all kinds of irrelevant stuff, it would be nice if they can just give out normal informative tweets every once and a while. Even in the two good days Lotus didn't actually do much laps. Other teams like Force India for example will just say they had an exhaust failure and their day is over.

My time on following Lotus over the past year or so suggests that they share useful information with fans, and a lot of it. Doing lot of laps is not necessarily good testing. Based on what I saw, they had two good days of testing, and one day where they did not do too many laps. Hardly the scene of skepticism you present it to be. Most people would give favourable review on Lotus testing.

#622 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:13

Come on, it is a new car. Stop whining already. Just compare to day 1-2 of mercedes.
They did some laps, tommorow is another day.

Mercedes isn't exactly the best benchmark or it is not where Lotus is aiming, the best benchmark is Red Bull. Lotus has now completed 189 laps and Mercedes 174 lap to date. The difference is not really that big.  ;)

Lets hope Lotus can sort out all of issues over night and that Kimi can do a 100 laps plus tomorrow.

#623 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:23

Mercedes isn't exactly the best benchmark or it is not where Lotus is aiming, the best benchmark is Red Bull. Lotus has now completed 189 laps and Mercedes 174 lap to date. The difference is not really that big.;)

Lets hope Lotus can sort out all of issues over night and that Kimi can do a 100 laps plus tomorrow.

they only did 1 long run with Romain yesterday, and it wasn't good at all.

They need to plan out their programme, and stop doing low fuel run. The tyre in 2013 is very tricky to manage.

I understood they had evaluated different exhaust system today, hopefully it bears some fruits.

EDIT:

Lotus F1 Team ‏@Lotus_F1Team
So, another day's testing has come to a conclusion. Clutch woes meant early Earl Grey for us. #ImSexyAndIKnowIt #Jerez

Edited by VoonDerful, 07 February 2013 - 16:24.

#624 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:27

They need to plan out their programme, and stop doing low fuel run. The tyre in 2013 is very tricky to manage.

I understood they had evaluated different exhaust system today, hopefully it bears some fruits.

They did some full tanks runs as well. They had few runs with times at 1:20-1:25. They just simply run then for fewer laps like few laps in 1:24 then go box. I assume taht they are testing how setups work with each fuel, but they don't want yet to waste time on doing 20 laps runs, cause one setup might work well for full tank but can be sucky with lower amount of fuel. Also jerez is not good tyre test.

#625 eREr

eREr

• 477 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:29

EDIT:

So, another day's testing has come to a conclusion. Clutch woes meant early Earl Grey for us. #ImSexyAndIKnowIt #Jerez

The exhaust system was the same, just its carbon fiber cover was changed to metal because of overheating problems.

Old:
Posted Image

New cover:
Posted Image

#626 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:30

They did some full tanks runs as well. They had few runs with times at 1:20-1:25. They just simply run then for fewer laps like few laps in 1:24 then go box. I assume taht they are testing how setups work with each fuel, but they don't want yet to waste time on doing 20 laps runs, cause one setup might work well for full tank but can be sucky with lower amount of fuel. Also jerez is not good tyre test.

to better evaluate how tyre behave, you have to run 10x laps and looks how it reacts.

You can't judge the tyre behavior with short run.

I think they have been evaluating different setups.

Tomorrow should focus on long run in which they are lacking a lot compared to other teams.

#627 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:31

The exhaust system was the same, just its carbon fiber cover was changed to metal because of overheating problems.

Old:
Posted Image

New cover:
Posted Image

Nevertheless, P4 on the board for Kimi and much aero and exhaust evaluation completed. #ImSexyAndIKnowIt #Jerez

The layout looks different to me.........

Edited by VoonDerful, 07 February 2013 - 16:34.

#628 eREr

eREr

• 477 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:34

Nevertheless, P4 on the board for Kimi and much aero and exhaust evaluation completed. #ImSexyAndIKnowIt #Jerez

"Lotus revised the E21′s exhaust on the third day of testing replacing the panel around the exhaust exit with a metal item (or at least one with a metallic coating). The overall design seems to remain the same so this may be as a result of burning bodywork still evident with the new design (above), also note the tunnel under the exhaust exit, a concept near identical to the Red Bull RB8 & RB9."

from http://www.racecar-e...cars/lotus-e21/

#629 eREr

eREr

• 477 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:35

The layout looks different to me.........

Different viewpoints and angles.

#630 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:37

My time on following Lotus over the past year or so suggests that they share useful information with fans, and a lot of it. Doing lot of laps is not necessarily good testing. Based on what I saw, they had two good days of testing, and one day where they did not do too many laps. Hardly the scene of skepticism you present it to be. Most people would give favourable review on Lotus testing.

Doing a lot of laps is also never a bad thing either. They had a good day yesterday but there is still a lot of questions to be answered. They have only done one long run which Grosjean abandoned 8 laps to early because of heavy tyre degradation. They dont really admit their own problems. It naturally makes you wonder what is going on, when they dont just give out the information that all of the other teams are doing. But there is still one day left, I hope it will be a much more productive day tomorrow.

#631 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:41

Different viewpoints and angles.

There's a socket under and near the Netapp sticker on the old layout but absence on the new layout.

While not major changed, the overall shape of the coke bottle seems different as well.

#632 Wander

Wander

• 2,279 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:45

How can you tell from two totally different angles?!?

#633 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:56

How can you tell from two totally different angles?!?

I can't. Alan Permane mentioned the same thing about running different exhaust options.

Don;t you think its ridiculous to test the same exhaust for whole day?? LOL

#634 eREr

eREr

• 477 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 17:00

I can't. Alan Permane mentioned the same thing about running different exhaust options.

Don;t you think its ridiculous to test the same exhaust for whole day?? LOL

Carbon fiber vs metallic cover. These are the options for the exhaust. And you copy/pasted from twitter that aero evaluation was also done during 40 laps (which is not so much laps..). That's all.

#635 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 944 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 17:12

From Twitter

Jennie Gow @JennieGow
Kimi "The balance isn’t quite to my liking yet. We know the car can go faster, we were just running through what we needed to achieve." #F1

Jennie Gow @JennieGow
Kimi "It’s a shame we had a clutch issue at the end of the day, that’s why we come testing so we can find these problems and fix them.” #F1

#636 MonacoMaster

MonacoMaster

• 104 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 17:51

From Twitter

Jennie Gow @JennieGow
Kimi "The balance isn’t quite to my liking yet. We know the car can go faster, we were just running through what we needed to achieve." #F1

Jennie Gow @JennieGow
Kimi "It’s a shame we had a clutch issue at the end of the day, that’s why we come testing so we can find these problems and fix them.” #F1

This might be a good sign. Maybe the Newey-tunnels etc. are bringing so much downforce that the balance is a bit off at the moment. :up:

#637 grunge

grunge

• 4,305 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 18:11

From Twitter

Was a tad disappointed cuz of this..Raikkonen needs as many laps as he can possibly get in the new car.He needs to find his optimal setup before the Australian GP rather than find it mid season ala last year.

#638 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 18:18

The metallic coating around the exhaust outlet has been tested yesterday.
___

Jerez F1 test: Kimi Raikkonen encouraged by Lotus's early pace
By Jonathan Noble Thursday, February 7th 2013, 18:00 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen believes Lotus is already in better shape than it was last year after completing his first day of running in the new E21.

The Finn was only able to complete 40 laps at Jerez on Thursday, after problems with his seating position and other minor electronic niggles restricted his time in the car.

Yet he said he had seen enough to be convinced about the step forward his team had taken.

"For sure it feels better than last year at this time," said Raikkonen, when asked by AUTOSPORT for his general feelings on the new Lotus.

"I think we have a good car, but how good it is this year we will only see it during the races and during the season. But it is not a bad start."

Team-mate Romain Grosjean had been positive about the good feeling from the car in all areas, but Raikkonen felt that he had not yet explored its full potential.

"The changes are not massive but it feels better for sure," he said. "We are missing some parts but there is no bad point on it. It is a normal first day.

"We did one change and used only the hard tyres.

"We still don't have all the parts that we will run in the races and we had last year, so it only can get better. It is not too bad."

Raikkonen says work undertaken on his seat position over Thursday, which included revising the location of his seatbelts, had improved matters considerably, and should allow him to get on with a full programme on the final day.

"We did some work on the seat, like is normal for the first test," he said.

"You make the seat at the factory and then it feels OK, but you can only tell when you drive. It is OK now for tomorrow and we can start the day properly."

#639 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 18:18

The metallic coating around the exhaust outlet has been ''tested'' yesterday.
___

Jerez F1 test: Kimi Raikkonen encouraged by Lotus's early pace
By Jonathan Noble Thursday, February 7th 2013, 18:00 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen believes Lotus is already in better shape than it was last year after completing his first day of running in the new E21.

The Finn was only able to complete 40 laps at Jerez on Thursday, after problems with his seating position and other minor electronic niggles restricted his time in the car.

Yet he said he had seen enough to be convinced about the step forward his team had taken.

"For sure it feels better than last year at this time," said Raikkonen, when asked by AUTOSPORT for his general feelings on the new Lotus.

"I think we have a good car, but how good it is this year we will only see it during the races and during the season. But it is not a bad start."

Team-mate Romain Grosjean had been positive about the good feeling from the car in all areas, but Raikkonen felt that he had not yet explored its full potential.

"The changes are not massive but it feels better for sure," he said. "We are missing some parts but there is no bad point on it. It is a normal first day.

"We did one change and used only the hard tyres.

"We still don't have all the parts that we will run in the races and we had last year, so it only can get better. It is not too bad."

Raikkonen says work undertaken on his seat position over Thursday, which included revising the location of his seatbelts, had improved matters considerably, and should allow him to get on with a full programme on the final day.

"We did some work on the seat, like is normal for the first test," he said.

"You make the seat at the factory and then it feels OK, but you can only tell when you drive. It is OK now for tomorrow and we can start the day properly."

Edited by Alburaq, 07 February 2013 - 18:21.

Advertisement

#640 grunge

grunge

• 4,305 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 18:38

@Alburaq..whats your take on the Lotus splitter thing?

It certainly isnt like any' flex-stopping' mount ive ever seen

#641 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 19:22

@Alburaq..whats your take on the Lotus splitter thing?

It certainly isnt like any' flex-stopping' mount ive ever seen

I think the same. It's intriguing.
Have no idea.

#642 DrF

DrF

• 1,445 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:35

Anyone here dare to to expect it to be a championship fighting car at this point?

Anyone?

#643 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:06

This might be a good sign. Maybe the Newey-tunnels etc. are bringing so much downforce that the balance is a bit off at the moment. :up:

LOL, i think that's purely driver preference.

Romain prefer understeer while kimi prefer oversteer more.

I'd be surprised if they prefer the same balance.

#644 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:39

Steering suit you better than last year?
"I felt the same at the end of last year. It is correct even if there is still room for improvement. "

http://www.f1i.com/f...mi-raikkonen-2/

#645 kingofspa

kingofspa

• 13 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:19

Does Lotus have some openings or air intakes on the front of the sidepods..i saw some pics..may be the black color and reflections are playing tricks
can anyone confirm

#646 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,883 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 17:12

According to TS, Kimi was very happy with the car after todays setup work and said when he left the track that the car feels very good now.

#647 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 468 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 17:27

According to TS, Kimi was very happy with the car after todays setup work and said when he left the track that the car feels very good now.

Thanks for the info. Would be good to hear that Kimi is very pleased with the car. Times during testing say nothing at all, but still it's good to top the timesheets :)

#648 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,883 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 17:36

Thanks for the info. Would be good to hear that Kimi is very pleased with the car. Times during testing say nothing at all, but still it's good to top the timesheets :)

yup times don't mean much at all but like finnish commentator Oskari Saari said: Kimi speaks a little but what he says he also means and when he says that the car is better than last year and very good than those words must be taken seriously!

#649 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 581 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 17:54

Thats great to hear!

#650 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 18:03

Very glad to hear that!