Lotus E21

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4314 replies to this topic

#751 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 14:10

And how exactly is that silly?

They could test software before tests. I understand that car could go boom, but software can be debugged, tested before whole test in Barcelona etc.

Advertisement

#752 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,044 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 14:37

They could test software before tests. I understand that car could go boom, but software can be debugged, tested before whole test in Barcelona etc.

exactly!

you can bench test/debug the software w/o the car if it is running but not saving (or transmitting data)... Maybe Charlie had McLaren E. change the API but forgot to inform Lotus :p

#753 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 15:02

Great reaction from Kimster after (probably another) stupid question by Sky's Craig Slater.

:D

#754 LaoTze

LaoTze

• 133 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 15:27

Great reaction from Kimster after (probably another) stupid question by Sky's Craig Slater.

:up:

#755 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 17:09

Another wasted testing day! Lotus is really good at that!
Would only be fair if Kimi would get half of a testing day tomorrow but I think Romain will get the full 2 days :rolleyes:

#756 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 17:16

A very dissapointing day for/from Lotus. I don't understand how they start the day with problems! I hate electronics - no logic!

Encouraging comments from Permane and Räikkönen so that's some encouragement.

#757 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 17:21

A very dissapointing day for/from Lotus. I don't understand how they start the day with problems! I hate electronics - no logic!

what did they say?

#758 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 17:22

What else are they supposed to say? I dont give much about comments about the car (e. g. "the car is better than last year" ... eh of course it is) at the tests.
Lotus needs to sound positive as they need a sponsor

#759 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 17:31

what did they say?

That Räikkönen liked the car and that it responds well to changes.

What else are they supposed to say? I dont give much about comments about the car (e. g. "the car is better than last year" ... eh of course it is) at the tests.
Lotus needs to sound positive as they need a sponsor

?? Huh? Why are you asking me that? It's like you think I dissed their comments.

Was it my strange sentence (saw it now, encouraging and encouragement) that's got you confused?

Advertisement

#760 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 17:35

That Räikkönen liked the car and that it responds well to changes.

?? Huh? Why are you asking me that? It's like you think I dissed their comments.

Was it my strange sentence (saw it now, encouraging and encouragement) that's got you confused?

Just a general question :kiss:

I just wanted to say that up to now everybody sounds positive to the press.

It just sucks that so far Kimi had 4 days of testing and couldn´t do one proper longer run (or race simulation). Dunno whether he could already work properly on his set up and that´s why Lotus should give him tomorrow morning but I doubt that they will do that as their lovely kid needs experience and so on.

#761 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 17:40

It just sucks that so far Kimi had 4 days of testing and couldn´t do one proper longer run (or race simulation). Dunno whether he could already work properly on his set up and that´s why Lotus should give him tomorrow morning but I doubt that they will do that as their lovely kid needs experience and so on.

bad luck is bad luck that's all. it would be then unfair if they would take Grosjean day. Rosberg had engineer blow up and so what? that's how it is

#762 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 17:41

bad luck is bad luck that's all. it would be then unfair if they would take Grosjean day. Rosberg had engineer blow up and so what? that's how it is

Yeah but he had other days when he could do lots of laps!

#763 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 536 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 17:50

Well bad luck once again for Kimi, although it's not the end of the world ofcourse. Hopefully Romain will do lots, lots of mileage in the next two days to cover the loss of Kimi's days. For Kimi it should not really matter I think, if Romain can do lots of work for the next coming days.

#764 beefree88

beefree88

• 116 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 17:55

Last year it was Kimi who had to give up his days. Just saying...

#765 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 18:25

It would have been nice if Kimi was able to do another day and a half, he really hasn't had a lot of running.

#766 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 18:31

It would have been nice if Kimi was able to do another day and a half, he really hasn't had a lot of running.

Of course, but He will manage anyway. :) Kimi is the best.  ;)
But Lotus should really fix this software problem ASAP. Not good at all.

#767 beefree88

beefree88

• 116 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 18:53

Of course, but He will manage anyway. :) Kimi is the best. ;)
But Lotus should really fix this software problem ASAP. Not good at all.

Software problem was yesterday and in Jerez. Hopefully solved already. RB had similar problem yesterday.

#768 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 19:14

Lotus wouldn't have done racesimulations anyway until on last test week, Kimi missed some long runs today but that's howit goes sometimes. He has done setupwork and is happy with the performance of the car, next test there will be lots of updates and they will do racesimulations (if not problems).

#769 sniper80

sniper80

• 547 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 19:31

Lotus is one of the teams with the least amount of laps in 2013 testing so far. Not good, I hope they did not sacrifice reliability for speed...

#770 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 19:36

Lotus is one of the teams with the least amount of laps in 2013 testing so far. Not good, I hope they did not sacrifice reliability for speed...

I'm sure they didn't, there has been few problems yes but not all because of the car. Also it's like Kimi said that you can test over 10000 kilometers and still car can broke in races and you can be fast and reliable even without doing not much running at all. They test because they want to learn about the car and fix the problems.

Edited by Vesuvius, 20 February 2013 - 19:37.

#771 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 19:36

"With the car unable to run what did you do?"

Kimi: "I had a sleep."

Classic Kimi. :lol:

#772 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 19:38

Software problem was yesterday and in Jerez. Hopefully solved already. RB had similar problem yesterday.

Nice to hear, really hope the computers work as they should now.
I mean, there surely are a lot of things to fix anyway :)
Hope at least Grosjean can run rest of the week without problems and they can do a lot of testing work with him.

#773 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 19:43

- such an unnecessary question, what did they expect? It's Kimi after all :D

#774 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 19:48

Nice to hear, really hope the computers work as they should now.
I mean, there surely are a lot of things to fix anyway :)
Hope at least Grosjean can run rest of the week without problems and they can do a lot of testing work with him.

It's still little bit dissapointing that the new tlemetry systems didn't work and they had to change to the old one but at least those works.

What is the forecast for tomorrow and friday ?as earlier rain was predicted for both days.

#775 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 19:55

What is the forecast for tomorrow and friday ?as earlier rain was predicted for both days.

Your wishes are orders. Da daaaaaa: http://www.aemet.es/...ontmelo-id08135
In short: rain on Friday with snow alert (but just yellow alert, we use a system of green, yellow, orange and red), even if the snow is not expected at see level till Saturday. Seeing snow at see level in North Spain only happens once each several years, maybe the F1 people are lucky and get to see it.

#776 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 20:02

Your wishes are orders. Da daaaaaa: http://www.aemet.es/...ontmelo-id08135
In short: rain on Friday with snow alert (but just yellow alert, we use a system of green, yellow, orange and red), even if the snow is not expected at see level till Saturday. Seeing snow at see level in North Spain only happens once each several years, maybe the F1 people are lucky and get to see it.

Thanks! :) so tomorrow is very important day as it looks friday will be very wet, some wet driving would be good too to get soe information from rain tyres...snow would be extreme and test would be cancelled and removed to soe other day.

Edited by Vesuvius, 20 February 2013 - 20:03.

#777 beefree88

beefree88

• 116 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 20:11

http://www1.skysport...-Barcelona-test
"Our target was more laps today and we've missed that. We were able to diagnose a problem with the gearbox, but rectifying this took quite a lot of time," Permane explained.

"This severely affected our plans for the day but yet again we were able to show we have a quick car. On the positive side, there were no further problems with telemetry as we experienced yesterday and the second gearbox ran reliably in the afternoon.

"Tomorrow we will try to rack up the laps with evaluation work and a race distance simulation."

#778 Kimifinfan

Kimifinfan

• 125 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 20:20

So the day wasn't a total waste of time :rotfl:

#779 DrF

DrF

• 1,572 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 21:47

Well bad luck once again for Kimi, although it's not the end of the world ofcourse. Hopefully Romain will do lots, lots of mileage in the next two days to cover the loss of Kimi's days. For Kimi it should not really matter I think, if Romain can do lots of work for the next coming days.

Finding a problem during testing instead of during a race is bad luck?

Advertisement

#780 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 23:15

So far things are going as I feared: great driver, solid car, near worst general operations in F1.

Lotus needed to make changes over the offseason if they want to be serious about getting results. No evidence they have. If they think they'll get another 3rd in WDC they're in for a rude awakening.

#781 Kimifinfan

Kimifinfan

• 125 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 00:11

So far things are going as I feared: great driver, solid car, near worst general operations in F1.

Lotus needed to make changes over the offseason if they want to be serious about getting results. No evidence they have. If they think they'll get another 3rd in WDC they're in for a rude awakening.

A little to early to start a blaming game, if you are following the winter testing you can see that most of the teams are having some problems.

#782 DrF

DrF

• 1,572 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 00:31

Here we go again.

Which team should he drive for? They all have problems, even the mighty Red Bull and I'm pretty sure you'd find something to bitch about no matter who he drives for.

I know personal attacks are against the house rules, but you really do get my goat. If the team is so crap why did he join?

Edited by DrF, 21 February 2013 - 00:32.

#783 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:15

Another wasted testing day! Lotus is really good at that!
Would only be fair if Kimi would get half of a testing day tomorrow but I think Romain will get the full 2 days :rolleyes:

How is that fair?

#784 Wander

Wander

• 2,285 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:23

People often get a little too worked about it when this team has any hint of a problem. It wasn't a brilliant two days of testing, that's all. And of course Räikkönen should not drive today just because things didn't work out perfectly yesterday. What if there was an another car failure in the afternoon? This stuff is just common sense.

I think the car seems competitive whenever it does run, so there's no reason to panic. There are still days to go before Australia to get everything right.

#785 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:14

They added someting strange inside the airbox's intake for Barcelona tests. Dont know wether it's a sensor, an aero device or an additional air inlet for cooling

http://img708.images...4203a2dcded.png

And the airbox's intake angle seems to have changed... looks like they added bodywork around it too

http://i72.servimg.c...26/84906510.jpg

And they tested two different RW in Barcelona day 1

Posted Image

Edited by Alburaq, 21 February 2013 - 08:16.

#786 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 142 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:39

- such an unnecessary question, what did they expect? It's Kimi after all :D

"I stared at the incomplete telemetry data for 12 hours."

#787 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 142 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:55

Here we go again.

Which team should he drive for? They all have problems, even the mighty Red Bull and I'm pretty sure you'd find something to bitch about no matter who he drives for.

I know personal attacks are against the house rules, but you really do get my goat. If the team is so crap why did he join?

Keep cool, guys. No reason to get provoked when provoked.

I wouldnt be worried about Kimi, Romain needs more laps anyway. And I wouldnt be too worried about the car either, last year the testing was even more disastrous.

The point is to have it all together in Mel.

#788 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:01

Hopefully they can recover without too much of a loss relative to other teams. The temperature seems to be too low to get useful data anyway. If they can iron out these reliability issues by Melbourne, I'll be happy.

#789 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:11

"I stared at the incomplete telemetry data for 12 hours."

"and then I wrote a two-pages-long e-mail, which I sent to the engineers in Enstone, giving them indications about how they could improve the car and make it -by my calculations- 0.8 seconds per lap faster"

#790 Gag Bueno

Gag Bueno

• 360 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:58

Compared to last years chassis issues they are doing better this year, or not? Also good to know that

"and then I wrote a two-pages-long e-mail, which I sent to the engineers in Enstone, giving them indications about how they could improve the car and make it -by my calculations- 0.8 seconds per lap faster"

Kimi has joined the exclusive 0.8 (weren't it 0.6? Que mala eres ;-D) club...

#791 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:06

such an unnecessary question, what did they expect? It's Kimi after all :)

I fashioned a makeshift wind tunnel out of a cigarette and a desk fan at the back of the garage and designed us a new rear wing. I'll build it at the hotel room later today.

Edited by Cool Beans, 21 February 2013 - 19:01.

#792 Torsion

Torsion

• 627 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:10

I don't think arista was quoting Kimi. It was just a comment as to what sort of answer would have been appropriate to the question by the Jurno,

To which Kimi actually replied as below:

Edited by Torsion, 21 February 2013 - 11:13.

#793 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:25

Compared to last years chassis issues they are doing better this year, or not? Also good to know that

A little tiny bit :blush:

Anyway, 0.6 is too little. It's Kimi Räikkönen who we are talking about here.

I don't think arista was quoting Kimi. It was just a comment as to what sort of answer would have been appropriate to the question by the Jurno,

To which Kimi actually replied as below:

yes, it was ironic, but I think Gag noticed it, given that he/she called me -quite rightly, BTW- "naughty". It just got lost in the "translation" :)

#794 Zava

Zava

• 5,089 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 13:41

Posted Image

new helmet of Romain, without the red spot meant for honeywell. :well:

#795 weareracing

weareracing

• 899 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 15:44

Well done to Romain and the Team, a full race simulation, now crunch those numbers :up:

#796 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 15:47

actually race pace looked better than RBR

#797 limit

limit

• 61 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 15:47

He did in one day more then Kimi in four. ****ing Lotus.

#798 weareracing

weareracing

• 899 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 16:02

It ALL counts for the Team.
As long as they cover their program, no points awarded in testing.
Get rid of the bugs and understand how the car responds to parameter changes (temperature, fuel-load, tyre degredation, set-up tweaks).
If it's quick then Kimi AND Romain should drive it well in qualifying and on a race-day.
I expect that the team are happy with the work so far.
Acid test STARTS on Saturday in Melbourne, Australia when the F1 2013 season begins.
Looking forward to that.

#799 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 16:09

Any visible updates on the car?

Edited by boldhakka, 21 February 2013 - 16:16.

Advertisement

#800 Torsion

Torsion

• 627 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 16:11

He did in one day more then Kimi in four. ****ing Lotus.

I am sure all the data is in Kimi's interest anyway. He's probablly happier to be at home sleeping, and knowing that Grosjean is getting all the necessary data :).