* * * * - 17 votes

Lotus E21

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4314 replies to this topic

#1201 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,097 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 18:21

Amazing, and to think some er, special persons, were still spouting bullshit at grosjean being picked for the two wet weather days. He only has twice the mileage of raikkonen...

Kimi has done enough laps in his career, he doesnt learn new things by doing more laps. it doesnt matter to the team who does the laps as long as they are been done, what Grosjean does, benefits also Kimi and vice versa.

Advertisement

#1202 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 18:22

Allison is honest: "the problem of gearbox today was the same as we saw before. We have the solution to fix it and it will not cause us any problem in Melbourne, we do not worry it. "

Google translation.

#1203 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,097 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 18:28

Google translation.

thanks for that...hopefully it won't be like McLarens gearbox problems last year, they said they it was fixed and would not be a problem again...and yet it constantly broken on next races as well.

#1204 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 581 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 18:35

Kimi has done enough laps in his career, he doesnt learn new things by doing more laps. it doesnt matter to the team who does the laps as long as they are been done, what Grosjean does, benefits also Kimi and vice versa.

I think you are wrong, not doing a single race sim on very different tyres they have for this year is a definite disadvantage. He had no time at all to learn the different compounds, etc. Also people are constantly improving through practice, you always learn something new. Anyway thats water under the bridge now, looking forward to melbourne.

#1205 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,097 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 18:41

I think you are wrong, not doing a single race sim on very different tyres they have for this year is a definite disadvantage. He had no time at all to learn the different compounds, etc. Also people are constantly improving through practice, you always learn something new. Anyway thats water under the bridge now, looking forward to melbourne.

I'm just saying what Kimi has said, he won't learn new things by going around circle...team will. Kimi also said new tyres won't be a problem and feel similar to last year. of course he would have liked to do more laps and race sim but now it didn't worked out and winter testing was far from ideal for him and for the team but team still got valuable data from both drivers and was immediately fast every time.

#1206 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 18:43

Here a larger and differently shaped air outlet, especially around the gearbox/crash structure (the area that is supposedly fed via the cross tunnel)

http://motorsport.ne...a-03mar/037.jpg

#1207 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,098 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 18:59

Why? Single opening not exceeding the allotted surface area.

I'd think for the same reason that makes Williams and Caterham solutions illegal. Sidewalls of exhaust tunnel must be vertical and cannot converge in any way

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 03 March 2013 - 19:02.

#1208 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 19:15

It would be legal if the exhaust-pipe runs till the end of the cover (and ofcourse pointing upward so many degrees etc.). It doesn't look like that though. I think this is just a quick way to test the difference between their coanda ramp design and when the exhaust gases are actually forced downwards by a tunnel already (basically how effective their ramp is working at redirecting the exhaust gases).

Edited by F.M., 03 March 2013 - 19:15.

#1209 swerved

swerved

• 3,689 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 19:21

:up: No point worrying about it, hopefully they'll make good use of the 3 FP sessions prior to the race.

#1210 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 19:32

I hope somehow the running so little saved them a bundle of coin so they can fund development during the season more than they did last year. Grasping at straws here.

#1211 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 19:40

From what I've understood the exhausts have to be angled up and no bodywork can be in the path of the exhaust plume. This type of tubing was specifically singled out by Charlie Whiting as illegal and something that will not be tolerated.

Anyway it was pointed out this part was simply for testing and not for racing. Probably to see how much can be gained with the exhaust guided perfectly in the right spot.

Edit: I see F.M beat me to it

Edited by Cool Beans, 03 March 2013 - 19:55.

#1212 Diderlo

Diderlo

• 170 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 19:51

I hope somehow the running so little saved them a bundle of coin so they can fund development during the season more than they did last year. Grasping at straws here.

Well, last year they skipped whole days of testing? THAT saves money. And I don't think skipping mileage while having all the personnel in garage saves any substantial amount of money, atleast compared to the benefits of that mileage.

I'm not so pessimistic about Kimi's testing today, they tested different parts and got data out of them. No long runs with fixed setup, but I personally think that's not that important after Grosjean's race sim. And there are still 3 FPs.

Edited by Diderlo, 03 March 2013 - 19:55.

#1213 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,628 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 19:55

Conditions will likely be so different in Australia that even the teams who did several race sims will find themselves at square one again on Friday.

#1214 Kimifinfan

Kimifinfan

• 125 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:26

For those people concerned for the lack of running by Kimi compared to some other teams, please remember that these engine need to be used during the 2013 season so the possibility that Lotus was sandbagging intentionally or not might work to their advantage.

#1215 Zava

Zava

• 5,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:27

For those people concerned for the lack of running by Kimi compared to some other teams, please remember that these engine need to be used during the 2013 season so the possibility that Lotus was sandbagging intentionally or not might work to their advantage.

nope, they get 8 fresh engines at the first race, testing engines are irrelevant

#1216 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,097 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:55

Kimi's latest comments for mtv3 were not too positive: "lots of questionmarks, first race will be quite surely very difficult, we don't know where we are compared to others because of different fuel loads. we would have liked to do more laps but that's like it always is."

on suomif1.com he said : tyres will be the key for the success, who gets them work will be the strongest, tyres are graining a lot and hopefully warmer weather will help. in recent years it has rained or been cold at melbourne so lets wait and see."

#1217 Kimifinfan

Kimifinfan

• 125 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 21:51

nope, they get 8 fresh engines at the first race, testing engines are irrelevant

So that means that teams need to buy more then 8 engines per year?

#1218 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 21:55

So that means that teams need to buy more then 8 engines per year?

yes. they have way more engines than just 8. I would say around 16 or so.

#1219 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:12

yes. they have way more engines than just 8. I would say around 16 or so.

No, I believe it is 3 for pre-season testing and 8 for the season. If you destroy a lot of them, you'll have to buy additional engines

Advertisement

#1220 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:19

No, I believe it is 3 for pre-season testing and 8 for the season. If you destroy a lot of them, you'll have to buy additional engines

but wouldn't they have spare egnines? well they would need to do additional deal etc. and their supplier could have not spare engine during a season (for example they want to use 9th engine during a season and they need to switch it between FP3 and Q). I'm almost sure that they have more than 10 engines prepared for season

#1221 SRK

SRK

• 177 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:24

Kimi's latest comments for mtv3 were not too positive: "lots of questionmarks, first race will be quite surely very difficult, we don't know where we are compared to others because of different fuel loads. we would have liked to do more laps but that's like it always is."

on suomif1.com he said : tyres will be the key for the success, who gets them work will be the strongest, tyres are graining a lot and hopefully warmer weather will help. in recent years it has rained or been cold at melbourne so lets wait and see."

Not too positive and not too negative. This is reality of the coming season for each and Lotus can benefit from this.

#1222 Rogerek

Rogerek

• 76 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:35

James Allison:

"Today was something like this entire test in microcosm; we spent too much of the day in the garage, but when we did get out on track we made good progress.

"A definite positive is that we are not finding it difficult to be on the pace, and we haven't had to resort to low-fuel runs at any of the tests to get a good time out of the car."

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/105829

Encouraging I would say, especially bolded part.

#1223 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,920 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:44

also, new cooling outlet behind the long upper wishbone?

Looks like a reflection :)

#1224 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:39

Posted Image

Edited by Alburaq, 04 March 2013 - 05:40.

#1225 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,278 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:44

Don't mean to be silly but, er... could it, COULD it be, that the ongoing positive comments from the team and especially Bouillier are meant to keep the momentum in some ongoing talks with at least one new potential sponsor?

#1226 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,097 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:50

Don't mean to be silly but, er... could it, COULD it be, that the ongoing positive comments from the team and especially Bouillier are meant to keep the momentum in some ongoing talks with at least one new potential sponsor?

could be but their pace is also real as has been seen during the test, how good it's compared to others is impossible to say until melbourne. About sponsorsm, Lopez said about a week ago that they had talks with two possible title sponsors that have been mentioned in public (Honeywell and Samsung) and they could have signed with them but they didn't because it wasn't the best deal for Lotus but he said they are still in talks with some and that during the year they expect to have new sponsors.

#1227 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:26

... Lopez said about a week ago that they had talks with two possible title sponsors that have been mentioned in public (Honeywell and Samsung) and they could have signed with them but they didn't because it wasn't the best deal for Lotus but he said they are still in talks with some and that during the year they expect to have new sponsors.

It's rumoured Samsung is working on rebranding. I'd think any possible deal they make will most likely coincide with the launch of their new image later in the year.

#1228 Torsion

Torsion

• 627 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:51

could be but their pace is also real as has been seen during the test, how good it's compared to others is impossible to say until melbourne. About sponsorsm, Lopez said about a week ago that they had talks with two possible title sponsors that have been mentioned in public (Honeywell and Samsung) and they could have signed with them but they didn't because it wasn't the best deal for Lotus but he said they are still in talks with some and that during the year they expect to have new sponsors.

I have to say, while I hope we are in good shape, I did find the positive comments unusual - as generally teams downplay their chances. Anyway, hope the performance is real, and the comments are to keep the team in the news, for sponsorship etc.

Given that Kimi sounded positive, I think it is likely that the performance is real.

#1229 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:14

It's rumoured Samsung is working on rebranding. I'd think any possible deal they make will most likely coincide with the launch of their new image later in the year.

Sony would look better on the car than Samsung :p

#1230 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:31

Sony would look better on the car than Samsung :p

You are right! The car would look like a mess with Samsung blue on the engine cover :rotfl:

#1231 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:05

The Sonymobile

Posted Image

#1232 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,097 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:27

Kimi said mercedes will surprise but Lotus would have been able to match their times if they would have wanted: Kimi: Mercedes will surprise

#1233 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:41

Kimi said mercedes will surprise but Lotus would have been able to match their times if they would have wanted: Kimi: Mercedes will surprise

but he also said

"Mercedes might surprise quite a few people, but we've seen before last winter they were strong here and then it was a bit of a surprise they were not strong in the races. We will have to see." -

I wonder how race pace will look like

#1234 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,124 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:12

Please keep on topic, that is Lotus E21.... any attempt to turn this into a drivers thread will not be received well, additionally like always - commenting on moderation will equally be sanctioned.

Thank you
MM

#1235 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,278 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:23

Someone in the Barcelona-thread is says Lotus/Kimi were driving with all recent upgrades removed from the car when they did their best times on Sunday pm.
Anyone here able to confirm? As i haven't seen anything on this in this forum in the past 48 hours. Thanks.

#1236 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:37

[Sorry, posted these messages in the wrong thread]

Indeed, Lotus removed all the new upgrades before doing the last short runs when KR did his best times. (new front wing, New bargeboards, new monkey seat, new rear wing).

this pic confirms what we saw on tv
http://farm9.staticf...3ea55c608_o.jpg

The wider bodywork (around the Gbox) they mounted in the last day with all the new upgrades
(right)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Alburaq, 05 March 2013 - 08:39.

#1237 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:38

As i haven't been following Lotus' upgrades closely lately and can't make much of the pic you're referring to, so i'd rather just ask:
- You start with "indeed, ...". Are you referring to other posts or articles on this forum or elsewhere where this was mentioned? If so, which and who's?
- Assuming it's a correct statement, are you implying they were not showing their cards and could've gone (much) faster (if the upgrades would have been on the car)?
Thanks.

-The 'indeed' is referring to one of my previous posts in whitch I said after watching the skysport broadcast

Looks like they removed the new RW and the monkey seat for these last runs.

It appears they removed everything, not just the parts I mentionned above.

-I dont think they removed them in order to 'hide their cards'. I think they did that simply to compare the packages and see how much performance the last package brings. :)

Edited by Alburaq, 05 March 2013 - 08:46.

#1238 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,885 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:11

Hopefully it doesn't mean we will not see it in Oz, they said upgrades work well anyway.

#1239 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,097 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:55

maybe Kimi didn't like the updates? he said car felt good again in the end...which would be without the updates after they were removed for final hour.

Advertisement

#1240 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:24

maybe Kimi didn't like the updates? he said car felt good again in the end...which would be without the updates after they were removed for final hour.

Maybe. maybe one should watch day 4 recording again
I remember near the and, Kravitz talked about an unhappy looking Permane (or Allison) while the car was in the garage and its rear parts removed. maybe he was unhappy about the new parts :drunk:

Edited by Alburaq, 05 March 2013 - 14:10.

#1241 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 14:19

I thought he just said 'the car felt very good', not 'the car felt good again in the end'.

#1242 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 14:22

Allison looked sad cause of all that reliability I would say. And removing parts would be best for comparison (i cant beleive that everything didn't work :p)

#1243 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,885 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 14:33

After testing with Romain they said that it is most likely that upgrades will stay on car for Australia.

#1244 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 00:27

Cuquerela in... Mission Impossible... to please all F1 fans. :lol:

https://twitter.com/...8/photo/1/large

Posted Image

#1245 BobSugar

BobSugar

• 24 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:46

What exactly de la rosa said of lotus?

#1246 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,885 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 13:10

Something like they are the only one team that genuinely showed quick pace. And that they impressed him most.

#1247 BobSugar

BobSugar

• 24 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 13:21

Something like they are the only one team that genuinely showed quick pace. And that they impressed him most.

Thank you! Where I can find the quote?

#1248 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 13:40

Thank you! Where I can find the quote?

http://motor.as.com/...526_026756.html

#1249 BobSugar

BobSugar

• 24 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 13:59