• 3,204 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 18:11

:love: :love: :love:

:kiss:

#1303 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 462 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 18:12

Have we ever heard Kimi laughing that hard?

Can't wait till Melbourne!

#1304 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 18:26

Me neither. Awesome to see him laugh that hard.

#1305 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 18:27

To be honest, as I said it last year, he fits in Lotus pretty nice. And I would say it is easy to see that.

#1306 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 20:51

kimi is upbeat about his chances and E21

[url="http://"Raikkonen:%20Our%20car%20feels%20good,%20so%20we%20are%20well%20placed%20for%20Melbourne%20Read%20More%20<a%20href="http://www.yallaf1.com/2013/03/11/raikkonen-our-car-feels-good-so-we-are-well-placed-for-melbourne/""%20target="_blank">http://www.yallaf1.c...one...elbourne/"</a>"]Raikkonen: Our car feels good, so we are well placed for Melbourne[/url]

Do you think Albert Park could suit the E21?

Kimi: It’s always difficult to say for the first race of the year. It’s not a full time race track so the weekend starts pretty slippery. The weather can be a bit of a surprise sometimes and we’ll also learn how we compare to the other teams. You need a car with good traction and the E21 feels better in this area than the E20 which wasn’t a bad car itself. Strong turn-in and stable braking help too, and those areas also feel good with the car so we are well placed.

so kimi is confirming what everyone else has been saying, the car is good on traction, which is important with the P zeros. good vibes alround :up:

Edited by eronrules, 11 March 2013 - 20:54.

#1307 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 20:58

[url="http://"Raikkonen:%20Our%20car%20feels%20good,%20so%20we%20are%20well%20placed%20for%20Melbourne%20Read%20More%20<a%20href="http://www.yallaf1.com/2013/03/11/raikkonen-our-car-feels-good-so-we-are-well-placed-for-melbourne/""%20target="_blank">http://www.yallaf1.c...one...elbourne/"</a>"]Raikkonen: Our car feels good, so we are well placed for Melbourne[/url]

so kimi is confirming what everyone else has been saying, the car is good on traction, which is important with the P zeros. good vibes alround :up:

Traction is where the E20 fell short quite a bit compared to the other top cars last year. Good thing they improved it (possibly more due to the new exhaust than mechanical)

Good turn-in sounds good for Kimi :)

Edited by F.M., 11 March 2013 - 20:59.

#1308 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 21:10

Traction is where the E20 fell short quite a bit compared to the other top cars last year. Good thing they improved it (possibly more due to the new exhaust than mechanical)

yep, when they moved to coanda, first they had power loss and then some tuning problem, specially in singapore, that was horrible. but from abu dhabi, they were on top, though tire caused trouble in US and brazil was a freak race for kimi as to avoid vettel collison and gate-saga :p . but i'd guess by that point, they'd have stopped development of E20. we'll see what comes next.

#1309 Trust

Trust

• 3,170 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 21:19

What's with steering? Will they fix it completely? In this tight field, half a tenth could worth a lot.

#1310 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 21:41

Last year's Lotus was a good traction car, so if this one is even better they are well placed. You can get 20-1 on RG to win Melbourne…

#1311 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 21:47

Last year's Lotus was a good traction car, so if this one is even better they are well placed. You can get 20-1 on RG to win Melbourne…

Lotus traction sucked big time at the later half last season, so lets hope it's much better this time!

#1312 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 21:48

What's with steering? Will they fix it completely? In this tight field, half a tenth could worth a lot.

same as last year, not perfect but no complains.

#1313 chumma

chumma

• 942 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 22:00

They could have at least used a recent picture of Kimi, or was that cover from this time last season?

#1314 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 22:04

They could have at least used a recent picture of Kimi, or was that cover from this time last season?

Posted Image

age is showing in kimi ... unfortunately :(

Posted Image

i don't like kimi's new helmet, why they had to replace the white with orange ... :mad:

Edited by eronrules, 11 March 2013 - 22:06.

#1315 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,478 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 22:04

That was the cover for the June issue last year. You can just see at the bottom of the page.

#1316 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,034 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 22:17

The orange on the top of kimi's helmet is plain wrong. It would be red or white.

I laughed out loud just to hear him laugh that hard. Never heard him that much before. " What gear do I take? " "whatever you want, i don't care!" What a boss.

#1317 Starish

Starish

• 985 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 23:05

Posted Image

Don't worry that is an older version of it, he has more white on the top and the sides and has the wing on the back that make sit look so much better.

#1318 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:50

You are misinterpreting what Kimi says. He actually isn't saying anything of value here. He is strictly comparing the car to last year's car at the begin of the season, not to the competitors or how the E21 will fare compared to the competitors.
The regulations have remained the same so it goes without saying that the car will be better and more stable in every area, they are just building on the work from last year. The testing times alone have been 2 seconds or so faster then last year. It is clear all of the cars are much better with a year of stable regulations. If Lotus weren't any better then last year then they would have been in very big trouble. But it still doesn't say anything about where they are against the others. So Kimi isn't really saying much, in actual fact. Which of course is very typical of him.

There is suddenly a lot of rain predictions for over the weekend. There are two worrying factors here, one they said their reliability would improve with more heat, and two it still seems like the car is terrible in the rain. Grosjean was constantly 3 seconds slower then rest, whenever it rained during testing. I hope the rain stays away, Australia always tends to be a lottery, so I am not expecting anything else this season.

#1319 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:12

You are misinterpreting what Kimi says. He actually isn't saying anything of value here. He is strictly comparing the car to last year's car at the begin of the season, not to the competitors or how the E21 will fare compared to the competitors.
The regulations have remained the same so it goes without saying that the car will be better and more stable in every area, they are just building on the work from last year. The testing times alone have been 2 seconds or so faster then last year. It is clear all of the cars are much better with a year of stable regulations. If Lotus weren't any better then last year then they would have been in very big trouble. But it still doesn't say anything about where they are against the others. So Kimi isn't really saying much, in actual fact. Which of course is very typical of him.

There is suddenly a lot of rain predictions for over the weekend. There are two worrying factors here, one they said their reliability would improve with more heat, and two it still seems like the car is terrible in the rain. Grosjean was constantly 3 seconds slower then rest, whenever it rained during testing. I hope the rain stays away, Australia always tends to be a lottery, so I am not expecting anything else this season.

Only showers are predicted and they can only predict couple of days accurately not week... Car was good on rain and in damp track, Grosjean was as fast as others at the same time on track, he even said car felt very good and was fast even on wet conditions unlike E20.new tyres will help Lotus on rainy conditions. Agree that australia and malaysia both will,always be lottery, that's what Kimi said as well that we never see normal races in those two.

Advertisement

#1320 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,762 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:09

That's true, this is pretty positive.

#1321 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:35

i'm not interpreting anything, i was merely pointing out that both kimi and romain feels the car is handling better than last year with more traction, which is always good. but i wasn't predicting race wins/championships etc. if a driver likes his car (specially like kimi), he can push it, and confidence counts in circuits like monaco/alberts park/stop-n-go tracks.

#1322 Oho

Oho

• 7,510 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:02

Lotus traction sucked big time at the later half last season, so lets hope it's much better this time!

That was my interpretation as well, they lost a lot of ground on exits even if the car seemed to rotate the corner fine without tendency for severe exit under steer which will kill any car on following straight regardless of traction.

#1323 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:16

Lotus: F1 2013 team guide

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/mar/11/lotus-f1-2013-team-guide

:p

#1324 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:21

ROCKS: KIMI RÄIKKÖNEN AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX PREVIEW Q&A (audio)

http://soundcloud.co...-2013-formula-1

IF YOU WANNA: ROMAIN GROSJEAN AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX PREVIEW Q&A (audio)

http://soundcloud.co...-2013-formula-1

Edited by eronrules, 12 March 2013 - 10:21.

#1325 JeePee

JeePee

• 375 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:25

Kimi strikes again:

Posted Image

(from Lotus' Facebook)

Edited by JeePee, 12 March 2013 - 10:26.

#1326 Topsu

Topsu

• 758 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:39

Oh for god's sake stop with the ice cream jokes already! The ice cream event isn't even related to Lotus, it was the Ferrari times.

#1327 cooper

cooper

• 388 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:44

Oh for god's sake stop with the ice cream jokes already! The ice cream event isn't even related to Lotus, it was the Ferrari times.

Keep your knickers on.. It's related to Kimi and he is now at Lotus

#1328 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:45

oh for gods sake stop posting doubles :kiss:

in any case, u should complain to lotus twitter manager :cool:

#1329 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,192 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:07

One of the reasons they might keep on using the ice-cream jokes is that Unilever is one of their sponsors (they produce Magnum ice-creams). They are actually advertising their sponsor each time they do one of these easy jokes.

#1330 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:10

One of the reasons they might keep on using the ice-cream jokes is that Unilever is one of their sponsors (they produce Magnum ice-creams). They are actually advertising their sponsor each time they do one of these easy jokes.

only kimi can generate such kind of publicity :lol:

#1331 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 13:27

i guess RBR, ferrari and macca downplaying, taking themselves out podium and occupying 3-10th places, Allison didn't have any places to occupy than the top 3 :rotfl:

:rotfl: Well-said.

#1332 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 13:52

:rotfl: Well-said.

hmm if it would be Permane talking about place I would take it with pinch of salt, but if it is down-to-earth-forever-Allison then unless they expect some major upgrade for Melbourne or they were running with plenty of fuel in tests and are sure of theirs.

#1333 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 13:53

Ive a question: Kimis race engineer suddenly departing for Red Bull...was that because Kimi didnt like him anymore after getting bugged over the radio? Was there any reason given for him leaving Lotus?

#1334 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 13:58

Ive a question: Kimis race engineer suddenly departing for Red Bull...was that because Kimi didnt like him anymore after getting bugged over the radio? Was there any reason given for him leaving Lotus?

Nothing to do with not getting along with Kimi, he just was given offer from Red Bull and took it, he was only second race engineer for Kimi and now at Red Bull he is the number one for Webber. There is a Mark Slade interview at todays TS and also Kimi interview but can't post them here as this is a car thread.

#1335 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:00

i believe it was a engineer swap, kimi's engineer departed for webber and vice-versa. in actuality, mark slade, who is the real race engineer for kimi, doesn't sit on the pit wall. that job was done by simon rennie. but as Ciaron Pilbeam is touted as the chief race engineer, i'd assume he'll direct overall strategy and some other engineer or perhaps mark slade will be on the pit wall. but it'll be cleared up once the season starts.

more here

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/98820.html

#1336 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:05

i believe it was a engineer swap, kimi's engineer departed for webber and vice-versa. in actuality, mark slade, who is the real race engineer for kimi, doesn't sit on the pit wall. that job was done by simon rennie. but as Ciaron Pilbeam is touted as the chief race engineer, i'd assume he'll direct overall strategy and some other engineer or perhaps mark slade will be on the pit wall. but it'll be cleared up once the season starts.

more here

Thank you! That clears it up.

#1337 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:08

more here

Yes and no...Mark Slade confirmed on TS interview he will now take control of Kimi's radiomessages as well just like during McLaren days.

Edited by Vesuvius, 12 March 2013 - 14:09.

#1338 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,762 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:28

I don't have much faith in Slade and Kimi and the rest of the team getting their setup right from the beginning. I expect to hear somewhere around Hungary again how Kimi has found the right direction and right feel for the E21. They really need to nail their free practices this year.

#1339 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:41

Nothing to do with not getting along with Kimi, he just was given offer from Red Bull and took it, he was only second race engineer for Kimi and now at Red Bull he is the number one for Webber. There is a Mark Slade interview at todays TS and also Kimi interview but can't post them here as this is a car thread.

Is this a car thread or the team thread? I ask because there was confusion last year as the official definition was changed back and forth. Surely there should be a provision in the forum to post Mark Slade interview and Kimi interview. I hope it could be posted here as those two are somewhat related to the team and the car.

Advertisement

#1340 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:43

You can post them here :)

#1341 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 15:31

Is this a car thread or the team thread? I ask because there was confusion last year as the official definition was changed back and forth. Surely there should be a provision in the forum to post Mark Slade interview and Kimi interview. I hope it could be posted here as those two are somewhat related to the team and the car.

Good question.

Eric boullier said today, reported by autosport, thathe fear engineer move will cost the team dear. Well well. Emove was vis a vis.

#1342 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 15:48

Here is some, translated words, from this article: qualifying one of the keys for Kimi's title battle

-"Like always, there is no point at all to make any predictions from testing times, only the first qualifying will show everything. But I have done driven so many years that for sure
I can say that we have a good speed to fight for good positions", Kimi said

-"we did now immediately from the first day that we had a better car than last year, it has better grip on corners and better speed on straights, but is the speed good enough to fight
for top positions, we will only see in first few races," Kimi thinks.

-There is nothing we can do to the fact we didn't drive no more than we did, but I can tell that every time I drove the car, it felt really good.I'm very sure the feeling will be
same in races as well, when weather will be more warm and we get tyres to work better".

Mark Slade and Kimi think that qualifying is one important thing that will make Kimi's title hunt easier than last year.

race engineer Slade points out that Kimi's qualifying speed has not lost anywhere.

- "I believe Kimi still has the same speed over one lap that he had during his McLaren days.Last year it was all about learning how can we get the best out
of the tyres during qualifying, the car wasn't planned for good single lap.Kimi was trying to learn this and so was the whole team. We did learn a lot at the
end of the season and even back then we had a lot to learn," Slade said

- "Now the new tyre is easier over one lap", Slade points out

There was also a good interview at mtv3.fi, with Kimi's mother. she said the following:
-" Kimi has always had a huge desire to win and he never gives up.As a child, when Kimi started
racing, he always turned the steeringwheel as long as the tyres rolled.I believe,that's the finnish way
of fightspirit called sisua", Paula Räikkönen says.

Kimi's return to formula 1 after two years break came as a big surprise for his mother:

-" I had heard rumours about his Williams-talks, so I asked about that and Kimi said to me that
he would rather go to Lotus, because it would be a better option for him.It was a really big surprise.
Kimi's friends had said to me, that he was very bored and retired from F1 and then suddenly out of the nowhere
he wanted to make a comeback," Paula Räikkönen says.

-" I think it was good thing for him to keep couple of years aways from f1, because he really is enjoying the racing again".

Edited by Vesuvius, 12 March 2013 - 16:02.

#1343 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:21

Seems like Kimi is in Australia:

Posted Image

#1344 Hayden1

Hayden1

• 376 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:25

WOW, he looks realy fit

Edited by Hayden1, 12 March 2013 - 16:33.

#1345 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,817 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:29

Thx Vesuvius :up: More good vibes.

This week seems to pass by so damn slowly...can't wait for the weekend.

#1346 joonz

joonz

• 87 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:34

Kimi looks so fit compared to last year, and check that core, seems pretty ripped!

#1347 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 462 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:43

Kimi looks fit indeed, and like his mother says, he seems to enjoy the racing more than before his F1-break. Kimi should really benefit in qualy from the new Pirelli tires that get much earlier in operating temperature. This weekend can't come soon enough!

#1348 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 17:49

Here is some, translated words, from this article: qualifying one of the keys for Kimi's title battle

As a child, when Kimi started
racing, he always turned the steeringwheel as long as the tyres rolled.

Ha ha, that's a good one, cut straight to the point. Simple as only a mother could point out! Thanks for posting these, Vesuvius.

#1349 MercPower

MercPower

• 98 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 17:53

I really like both Kimi and Grosjean, both are very fast.

I think Lotus will do well this year.

#1350 swiniodzik

swiniodzik

• 606 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:28

Well, usually there is the race engineer role and the performance engineer role with the former leading the whole crew and on the radio talking with the driver about both setup and strategy throughout the week and the latter being his assistant who takes care of data analysis. The Slade-Rennie constellation on Raikkonen's car seemed rather unusual as it looked like both had a somewhat of an equal status with Slade communicating with Kimi during practice when setting up the car while Rennie on race day when racing.

It's vital to have a good chemistry between the driver and his race engineer and one certainly didn't seem to exist between Raikkonen and Rennie. The Abu Dhabi responses from Kimi on the radio became famous but more of that for some fun, for others rude tone could be heard on other occasions so I wouldn't be surprised if Rennie had enough of that. A shame as he was an asset to the team.