#1851 motorhead

motorhead

• 880 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:56

From german newspaper

"He smokes, he drinks...and he still wins"

source

...what a role model Kimi is :rotfl:

Edited by motorhead, 18 March 2013 - 09:58.

Advertisement

#1852 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,600 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:27

It was so much fun watching the Sky coverage. There was so much fear mongering during qualfying about the Red Bull pace. Simon and the boys were really trying to freak the viewers out into thinking Vettel would disappear into the distance on lap one and that would be the race!

Glad to see that the E21 is so damn fast! Kimi looked pretty good in qualifying, but his last lap in Q3 was a little shaky. I'd say it helped lull the competition into a false state of security. Everyone acted like Alonso would be Vettel's only threat with a possible chance of Hamilton being in the mix.

P7? Pft, no need to worry about Kimi when he qualifies a few rows back! He demonstrated last year with the E20 that he's exceptional at making huge strides forward in these cars when he starts a little further back. I hope to see more of this!

Also Grosjean, don't know what happened with him. Congrats to him for staying out of trouble, and hopefully he'll run a little higher up the grid in Malaysia.

#1853 Masahiro

Masahiro

• 27 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:23

On the french television, they said that Grosjean has left just after the GP and didn't take part at the debriefing with the team.

#1854 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,817 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:34

Now one can just hope Lotus will manage to run their DRD at some point this season. They surely should have an advantage over other teams in that area, and it will probably be the decisive element for Kimi's campaign.

#1855 Oho

Oho

• 7,510 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:03

On the french television, they said that Grosjean has left just after the GP and didn't take part at the debriefing with the team.

Is he taking after the temper tantrums of his illustrious team mate

http://farm4.staticf...daa3_z.jpg?zz=1

I don't think Grosjean's position is yet secure enough for that.

Edited by Oho, 18 March 2013 - 13:06.

#1856 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 133 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:06

From german newspaper

"He smokes, he drinks...and he still wins"

source

...what a role model Kimi is :rotfl:

Thats lame, even for a German paper.

Maybe Kimi has matured. Maybe he´s fast as Senna and intelligent as Prost. Now theres an image to be afraid of if youre Seb or Fred or Ham...

#1857 ToXiCiTy

ToXiCiTy

• 72 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:14

Autosport driver ratings?

#1858 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,192 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:18

Autosport driver ratings?

9 and 5

#1859 Oho

Oho

• 7,510 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:20

9 and 5

The same they got for Valencia last year, go figure...... Well this time it makes sense.

Edited by Oho, 18 March 2013 - 13:21.

Advertisement

#1860 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,478 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:23

I'm thinking this rating is pretty spot on though. A nine is perfectly fine given that there was more on offer in qualifying.

#1861 mjsv

mjsv

• 135 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 16:18

what tires we have in malaysia? :)

Black, round Pirellis?  ;)

(sorry, couldn't resist - some of you who have followed WRC might remember the reference)

mjsv

#1862 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 1,285 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 16:21

If Lotus can keep this up, we might just see a nice chunk of cash and a new title sponsor!

#1863 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 16:22

^
:lol:

#1864 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,612 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 16:23

:lol: Already getting to him. Better speak to JPM about that.

#1865 Vieras

Vieras

• 60 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 16:31

^
:lol:

I wonder if Kimi was a fan of Kankkunen growing up. :) (BTW. Kankkunen means hangover, I just find that amusing)

#1866 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 17:08

I wonder if Kimi was a fan of Kankkunen growing up. :) (BTW. Kankkunen means hangover, I just find that amusing)

From what I have seen during Kimi's rallying days, they are good friends, and Kimi used to take out Kankunen's rally car out a few times for fun.

Edited by SpaMaster, 18 March 2013 - 17:12.

#1867 byronbolscher

byronbolscher

• 242 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 17:18

:lol: Already getting to him. Better speak to JPM about that.

Last year, I thought Grosjean looked really bitter after the Hungarian GP, you know, when Kimi touched wheels with Grosjean coming out of the pits, overtaking him that way? And the next race was Spa where Grosjean's really bad streak began.. Up untill Hungary he was often making Kimi's life difficult, having good speed, good finishes, some crashes, but after that Hungarian GP it got a lot worse, maybe Kimi won the psychological war that day..

#1868 limit

limit

• 61 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 17:24

You guys keep forgetting that last year was Kimi's come back year, so he needed half a season to fully come back. After that GRO is history, and after Monza he was psychologicaly ****ed. In the start of the race he just thinking to not crash and often start bad like in last race.

#1869 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 133 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 17:37

In Finnish there are like 8000 words for hangover. That is NOT amusing :)

#1870 Masahiro

Masahiro

• 27 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 17:54

Last year, I thought Grosjean looked really bitter after the Hungarian GP, you know, when Kimi touched wheels with Grosjean coming out of the pits, overtaking him that way? And the next race was Spa where Grosjean's really bad streak began.. Up untill Hungary he was often making Kimi's life difficult, having good speed, good finishes, some crashes, but after that Hungarian GP it got a lot worse, maybe Kimi won the psychological war that day..

I think exactly like you. For me, Kimi really came back in Germany and since that Grosjean has begun to overdrive and did big mistakes.

#1871 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 17:55

Thats lame, even for a German paper.

That's Bild.

Glad to see that the E21 is so damn fast! Kimi looked pretty good in qualifying,

Grosjean looked very good too, if not better. Unfortunately, both drivers made errors and that's because of the team's error. one of the E21 could 'easily' qualify P4 atleast.

#1872 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,120 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:03

Now one can just hope Lotus will manage to run their DRD at some point this season.

Malaysia would be great place to start using it. Fastest corners are T5-6 and 11-12, around 255 km/h at best. So they could tune it to start working around 270 for a safety margin and it would work from halfway of every big straight. That should make for a lot of time over a race.

That´s if the thing worked properly :lol:

#1873 Zesus

Zesus

• 288 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:12

I'm a new one here so let me say a few words.. :)

First of all, as a Kimi fan I was so happy to see him win. Personally, I didn't expect victory even after 30 laps of the race. What he did was amazing. While Alonso, Vettel and Massa were fighting among themselves, Kimi used his intelligence and beat them all together. Not only that, but he was finally aggressive. The way he attacked Lewis impressed me, I saw Kimi who somehow was still missing.

After this race, I believe that Kimi will be fighting for victory again in Malaysia if it's nice weather. In wet conditions Lotus is not so good, while some other teams are. Hopefully we can have a nice weather with a little bit of rain and see some great actions again. :)

#1874 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:23

I am ashamed to admit that I was not able to see the race, so have missed the most exciting Lotus weekend in ages.

It sounds like Kimi was able to win in Melbourne very decisively. However, I don't see a lot of people talking about Kimi/Lotus as being favorites to win the championship. Can anyone tell me what the reasons are to believe that Lotus' performance in Melbourne should be the exception rather than rule in 2013?

Last year, Lotus was poor in conditions such as were present at Melbourne. Does it not stand to reason that their ability to win in these colder temperatures is a sign that that they have eliminated one of their biggest weaknesses and are therefore potentially in a fundamentally very strong position now?

If you think Ferrari and Red Bull are the favorites over Lotus, I would be interested in hearing why.

Edited by 2ms, 18 March 2013 - 18:25.

#1875 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:28

No one said "Melbourne should be the exception". Melbourne confirmed what we saw in Free practice 2 (long runs) and during winter testing (Even Domenicali admits that). and remember, last friday, conditions were hot.
Obviously there are many Raikkonen fanboys that are forgetting the car and it's importance.
Read what the drivers said and you'll see how promising this car is.
Only weakness in Enstone is it's budget.

Edited by Alburaq, 18 March 2013 - 18:31.

#1876 Trust

Trust

• 3,170 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:30

I am ashamed to admit that I was not able to see the race, so have missed the most exciting Lotus weekend in ages.

It sounds like Kimi was able to win in Melbourne very decisively. However, I don't see a lot of people talking about Kimi/Lotus as being favorites to win the championship. Can anyone tell me what the reasons are to believe that Lotus' performance in Melbourne should be the exception rather than rule in 2013?

Last year, Lotus was poor in conditions such as were present at Melbourne. Does it not stand to reason that their ability to win in these colder temperatures is a sign that that they have eliminated one of their biggest weaknesses and are therefore potentially in a fundamentally very strong position now?

If you think Ferrari and Red Bull are the favorites over Lotus, I would be interested in hearing why.

Well when RB solve their problems with cold weather they'll be better than Lotus. I think with Malaysia being extremely hot they should be better. Even in Bahrain last year, Vettel was driving the best car, Kimi just had unused tyres.

#1877 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,685 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:32

No one said "Melbourne should be the exception". Melbourne confirmed what we saw in Free practice 2 (long runs) and during winter testing (Even Domenicali admits that). and remember, last friday, conditions were hot.
Obviously there are many Raikkonen fanboys that are forgetting the car and it's importance.

It would be nice to see the team get some appreciation instead of always getting crapped on.

#1878 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:32

@Trust
Grosjean had used tires in Bahrein race and he was P3 way ahead of the others.

Edited by Alburaq, 18 March 2013 - 18:33.

#1879 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 462 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:33

I don't know who you mean when saying that, cause I think everyone acknowledges this Lotus is very fast and gentle to its tires as well. But to say that this victory was just up to the car, no matter who would drive is not right in my opinion. Kimi drove a great race and for me he's, together with Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso, the top class of the field.

Also read that Kimi's last retirement was Germany 2009, when the car is reliable Kimi definitely knows what to do with it;)

Advertisement

#1880 Trust

Trust

• 3,170 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:35

@Trust
Grosjean had used tires in Bahrein race and he was P3 way ahead of the others.

I know that, but still Vettel was faster.

#1881 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:39

I expect 1-2 in Malaysia, and wins in China and Bahrain for Kimi and 100 pts after 4 first race

JINX!

#1882 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:46

@Raikkonen94
Raikkonen is OK and he did an Ok race (i'm kidding and using Kim's vocabulary) :p
No doubt KR is one of the bests (to me he's in the top 3 if not the top 2). But let's remember this thread is about the car and the team first of all and then the driverS.

Edited by Alburaq, 18 March 2013 - 18:52.

#1883 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:51

I know that, but still Vettel was faster.

RedBull was/is/will be the car to beat. And we beat them yesterday :cool:
maybe RB9's settings were too aggressive on the tires, last weekend. Red Bull might sacrifice qualy performance a bit inorder to improve tire durability in race...

#1884 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:55

It's a car thread and yet every time someone brings up the car we get about ten posts of people complaining that a driver is overrated or overappreciated or underappreciated or the team is a victim of mistreatment etc...

Can we just talk about the car for a moment and not get sidetracked by trollery?

Do people think it's going to be a Red Bull vs Ferrari year again or do people think Kimi's win this weekend is a sign that Lotus might have the best? I would really appreciate opinions on this and the reasons behind them.

#1885 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 462 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:08

@Raikkonen94
Raikkonen is OK and he did an Ok race (i'm kidding and using Kim's vocabulary) :p
No doubt KR is one of the bests (to me he's in the top 3 if not the top 2). But let's remember this thread is about the car and the team first of all and then the driverS.

Ah yeah I still have to get used to the fact there are no driver threads anymore. Anyway, about the car then. All the credit to James Allison and the guys at Enstone, tires could be the key this season and right now we're certainly the best team to take care of them :D

#1886 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:09

It's a car thread and yet every time someone brings up the car we get about ten posts of people complaining that a driver is overrated or overappreciated or underappreciated or the team is a victim of mistreatment etc...

Can we just talk about the car for a moment and not get sidetracked by trollery?

Do people think it's going to be a Red Bull vs Ferrari year again or do people think Kimi's win this weekend is a sign that Lotus might have the best? I would really appreciate opinions on this and the reasons behind them.

It's too early to say who will fight the championship...melbourne is a special place so good car there won't maybe good on other tracks but Lotus have been strong everywhere so don't see it changing...what will be the key is the tyres, if Lotus keeps having advantage on this are, they will definately have a chance for title...it will take 3-5 races to see if they will fight for it but things look good, actually scaringly good because Kimi dominated so even malaysia could show picture much better.

All also depends if lotus can get ar developed and not to do mistake like they did last year and focused on DDRS instead of other updates.

Edited by Vesuvius, 18 March 2013 - 19:11.

#1887 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,817 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:09

I personally think that we have a good chance to see a three-way title fight between Kimi, Vettel and Alonso this year (which is any F1 fans wet dream really). Red Bull and Ferrari are slight favourites because of their bigger resources, but that is about it. Lotus certainly has a tech staff that is more than capable of producing and developing a front-running car, and with Räikkönen they have a driver able to perform at the absolute best in every race.
The team dropping back a bit last season imho has nothing to do with "being outdeveloped" by the big teams but rather the fact that they followed their DRD development during the summer break rather than implementing the Coanda exhaust. The E21 is an excellent base with no major flaws (as the missing Coanda was). As I said earlier, it might be decisive to bring the DRD into play at some point in the season.

And yes, it has to be said, this Enstone crew is doing one hell of a job :up:

Edited by Jovanotti, 18 March 2013 - 19:11.

#1888 nada12

nada12

• 458 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:23

So far all we know is that Kimi found a set-up sweet spot, like Maldonado in Spain. The car is fast, but for now I still think it's behind Red Bull and Ferrari. Vettel will be a different animal when he doesn't struggle with graining 3-4 laps into every stint and the Ferrari also just seemed quicker on outright pace. No doubt there will be races where the Lotus can play out its tire advantage but it's unlikely that they can run on one less stop at every track.

I think Kimi will once again be able to hang around in the title fight due to consistency, but I'd like to see a pole and a controlled race from the front for once before I'd crown him favourite.

Edited by nada12, 18 March 2013 - 19:26.

#1889 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:51

So far all we know is that Kimi found a set-up sweet spot like Maldonado in Spain..

Huh ? where did this 'info' come from ? from nowhere IMO
E21 was fast everytime it hit the track and in very different condtions.

and the Ferrari also just seemed quicker on outright pace.

Wait and see. Lotus drivers couldnt show their car's potential Saturday; they did just one lap against two for Ferrari, RBR, Merc, and they did mistakes.. but still; if you take Grosjean's best sectors (4th fastest in S2 and S3) and KR's S1 (both drivers were fast in S1 all the weekend, but RG lost 6tenths to Kr in S1 in his Q3 and 3 tenths to a Force India) you end up in the second row...
Alosnso made a little mistake but Massa's lap is a good landmark.

but it's unlikely that they can run on one less stop at every track.

Look what Slade said and how Kr easily managed his race... this car can be as fast with a three stop strategy.

Edited by Alburaq, 18 March 2013 - 19:53.

#1890 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 20:26

they said that they didn't even push

#1891 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 433 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 21:56

Mmh..

There's quite a few people here setting themselfs up for alot of disappointment if Kimi/Lotus doesn't live up to the level they showed in Melbourne.
And to be honest, even if I also have high hopes and admit things are looking pretty darn good for Malaysia, there's just so many things that could go wrong and ruin the weekend.
So please, be optimistic by all means but do not paint this up as a done deal already! Lotus is fast, Kimi is himself, but 5min of showers and a spin is all it takes.

About Romain,
Ofcourse he didnt stay and celebrate, as he is probably massively disappointed by his own result, considering what was possible with that car.
So lets not be such simpleminded fools to think that every race of the year will be such a easy task for Kimi, he will also get his share of troubles.
And there's no need feed the haters with reasons to show up here telling our boy screwed up.. Karma you know.. :)

#1892 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 580 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 22:11

Actually it started before that, his face after qualy would make milk curdle from a mile away! This season will be quite the reality check for monsieur grosjean.

#1893 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 22:40

Mmh..

There's quite a few people here setting themselfs up for alot of disappointment if Kimi/Lotus doesn't live up to the level they showed in Melbourne.
And to be honest, even if I also have high hopes and admit things are looking pretty darn good for Malaysia, there's just so many things that could go wrong and ruin the weekend.
So please, be optimistic by all means but do not paint this up as a done deal already! Lotus is fast, Kimi is himself, but 5min of showers and a spin is all it takes.

About Romain,
Ofcourse he didnt stay and celebrate as he is probably massively disappointed by his own result, considering what was possible with that car.
So lets not be such simpleminded fools to think that every race of the year will be such a easy task for Kimi, he will also get his share of troubles.
And there's no need feed the haters with reasons to show up here telling our boy screwed up.. Karma you know.. :)

Romain Grosjean: "Something felt wrong with my car, so I have to sit down with the team and analyse where the issue came from. It felt so good all weekend until the race itself, but in the end the race was long and quite difficult for me. We know that Albert Park can be a tricky circuit and the weather has certainly not helped today. It's been a great weekend for the team with Kimi's win so it's clear there's pace in the car. Let's hope I can unlock that pace too next weekend in Sepang."

I would have thought he would have stayed not to celebrate but for the debrief and then worked with the team to analyse what was wrong with his car like he said he was.

Or maybe he left because his team told him what was wrong, something that he didn't want to hear! ;)

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 18 March 2013 - 22:48.

#1894 MercPower

MercPower

• 98 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 22:43

Being over 1 second off the front in Quali is a slight concern for Lotus but the race pace seems amazing.

#1895 swerved

swerved

• 3,597 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 22:43

DC's view

"Kimi Raikkonen for the world championship? It would have seemed far-fetched a year ago, when he had just returned to Formula 1 after two years in rallying, but his victory in the season-opening Australian Grand Prix on Sunday was Raikkonen at his very best."

"They have a good bunch of guys there and this year they have added Ciaran Pilbeam, who used to be Mark Webber's engineer at Red Bull.

That will help them further understand the way of Red Bull's highly regarded chief technical officer Adrian Newey when it comes to things like spring rates, wheel rates and damping rates."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/21836809

#1896 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 433 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 22:57

Romain Grosjean: "Something felt wrong with my car, so I have to sit down with the team and analyse where the issue came from. It felt so good all weekend until the race itself, but in the end the race was long and quite difficult for me. We know that Albert Park can be a tricky circuit and the weather has certainly not helped today. It's been a great weekend for the team with Kimi's win so it's clear there's pace in the car. Let's hope I can unlock that pace too next weekend in Sepang."

I would have thought he would have stayed not to celebrate but for the debrief and then worked with the team to analyse what was wrong with his car like he said he was.

Or maybe he left because his team told him what was wrong, something that he didn't want to hear! ;)

Well maybe the team wanted to celebrate instead ;)

#1897 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 22:59

Being over 1 second off the front in Quali is a slight concern for Lotus but the race pace seems amazing.

Kimi said he took his lap too easy and made a mistake as well. 2nd row was certainly achievable.

#1898 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 22:59

Lotus will have an experimental exhaust and bodywork combination as well as a new front wing to try out on Friday in Malaysia #F1

#1899 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,091 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 23:01

I simply do not get why people say Enstone is on a budget.... That does not mean that they can win a title. Enstone won in 1994-1995, 2005-2006 while beating teams such as Ferrari and Williams ('94-'95) and McLaren and Ferrari ('05-'06) with bigger budgets than them.

They can and will win given the situation and Kimi can do it.

Advertisement

#1900 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 23:01

Well maybe the team wanted to celebrate instead ;)

True enough!