* * * * - 17 votes

Lotus E21

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4314 replies to this topic

#2101 concussion

concussion

• 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:39

Tell this to Damon Hill, David Coulthard, Mika Hakkinnen,Alonso,Hulkenberg, Sheckter (or even Kimi Raikkonnen).

It's always a learning process.

Just look to the number of races in F1 for RoGro and compare to the rest of the top 10 in 2012. Oh wait....

Wait what? Might I highlight to you that Alonso and Kimi weren't half as crash-prone as grosjean when they were at his age. In fact, they've been displaying stellar racecraft since day one of their carriers.

No offense, but I don't think you know a good of crappy driver when you see one.

Advertisement

#2102 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:39

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/106240
Malaysian GP: Romain Grosjean thinks Melbourne issue is lingering

he just can't match Kimi's (2005)pace at the moment but he can still score good points and that's most important for him and the team

Edited by Vesuvius, 22 March 2013 - 09:40.

#2103 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:43

Ciaron Pilbeam who just joined Lotus to take the role of chief race engineer replaced Grosjean's race engineer Ayao Komatsu.

#2104 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 317 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:46

Ciaron Pilbeam who just joined Lotus to take the role of chief race engineer replaced Grosjean's race engineer Ayao Komatsu.

For the week end.

I think that Komatsu is waiting a baby.

#2105 tormave

tormave

• 949 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:47

Grosjean has had a tendency of mental meltdowns in both Gp2 and F1, when he's not been as fast as his team mate. He starts to overdrive and make really optimistic overtakes as well as find all kinds of issues with the car when he's lower down in the lap time charts. All of these factors only serve to make the delta to his team mate much bigger than it otherwise would be - when relaxed, RoGro has a lot of pace. He should forget Kimi and concentrate on going faster himself.

#2106 nomi

nomi

• 288 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:51

Any particular reason why Grosjean is not getting equal upgrades?

#2107 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:52

It's fourth year in F1 for Grosjean and he hasn't progressed at all. His racecraft is probably the worst I've ever seen + he is slow.

:up: So much bullshit in a short post is so rare nowadays. Bravo :up:

#2108 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:53

he will get all the updates as well but later than Kimi...he will have them on car tomorrow at least that did happend at melbourne.

#2109 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:54

He gets them as well. The team just has to compare the updated car with the old car and apparently they prefer Kimi for evaluating the new car first (better feedback(?), nr.1 driver).
Often one driver gets a taste of one update, while the other tests another update, like in Australia last weekend.

Edit: Apparently Grosjean won't get the exhaust this race. Experimental part and they only have one. But since it seems to be working well, Kimi will stick with it.

Edited by F.M., 22 March 2013 - 10:00.

#2110 kartinhero

kartinhero

• 321 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:56

:up: So much bullshit in a short post is so rare nowadays. Bravo :up:

Still so true.

#2111 concussion

concussion

• 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:01

Looks like Grosjean can`t really trust the car and i don't think the updates will help him that much (i can be wrong). He knows that he has to deliver and not make mistakes. Like the off he had in FP2 doesn't make him more confident more the opposite i think and on top on that you have kimi banging in the times over and over again it cant be easy for Grosjean at the moment. I am a really big kimi fan ( been watching F1 for more then 20years ) but i hope Grosjean gets he`s act together for his own and the teams sake.

And what was the problem again? Did anyone manage to find out?

He mentioned the car just understeers and oversteers (sounds like something a particular Mclaren driver would say), and the car handles differently from fp1 to fp2 without any changes being made. And then he goes on to say both lotus cars are the same except that Kimi has the new exhaust.

I really don't know what to make of grosjean's statements.

#2112 Oho

Oho

• 7,510 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:03

Well sounds like the car is bit unstable and favors delicate touch.

#2113 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,059 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:04

Kimi said that cars feels the same as in last weekend.

#2114 limit

limit

• 61 posts

Gro is lost at the moment. He blames updates, but if he going to have race like in aus, then no update can help him. Too bad for the team, they losing too many points with this bad Gro.

#2115 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,193 posts

Didn't see that one, thanks. Well yes, they'll find anything, no matter what.

No worries, it had been published just a couple of minutes before I linked it. :)

Does this idiot have a website or a twitter account? If yes, time to laugh at him hard.

I think he does have twitter, but not sure.
Anyway, Sport1 is broadcasting the free practices, again, and that doesn't mean I don't have to listen to him any longer (yahoo!)

#2116 cotecine

cotecine

• 61 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:11

And what was the problem again? Did anyone manage to find out?

He mentioned the car just understeers and oversteers (sounds like something a particular Mclaren driver would say), and the car handles differently from fp1 to fp2 without any changes being made. And then he goes on to say both lotus cars are the same except that Kimi has the new exhaust.

+ :up:

#2117 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:11

Kimi to MTV3: The feeling with the car is excatly as good as it was a less than week ago at melbourne.

-Car felt as good as in first race.
-we had small kers issues but other than that all went well.
-long runs were not driven because of the rain in practise 2, other than that good day.
-we are in good position even without long run.

about tyre issues that others have faced?
- difficult to say but our car felt just as good as it did in race at melbourne.
-it's difficult to say where we would have been in qualifying at melbourne if the conditions would have been normal, lets see what happends tomorrow.

do you have to change your driving style to save tyres?
- difficult to say how long they will last here but I haven't had to change my drivingstyle because of them...if they wont last then they wont and if they will then they will. we couldn't find answer to that as long run was undone because of rain.

was the new exhaust system step forward and will you continue with it?
- Car felt reallly good today so at least for now I'm happy with it. I think we will use it whole weekend.
what if it rains tomorrow during qualifying, how will you react to that?
-I don't know, we will see it tomorrow.

-today track was little bit too dry for intermediate tyres so we couldnt really see how good we are in wet conditions but so far the car has been better when it's wet.

Edited by Vesuvius, 22 March 2013 - 10:13.

#2118 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,509 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:13

Gro is lost at the moment. He blames updates, but if he going to have race like in aus, then no update can help him. Too bad for the team, they losing too many points with this bad Gro.

One race does not a season make...

#2119 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:20

F1 in America @F1US
@Lotus_F1Team title sponsor to be announced to have an American connection - via @bobvarsha on @F1onNBCSports #F1 #f1onnbc #polo

f1talks.pl ‏@f1talks 2u
So big (title) sponsor announcement soon... #F1

f1talks.pl ‏@f1talks 1u
Genii logo will be replaced on Lotus cars but I'm not sure that will happend during this weekend. #F1

f1talks.pl ‏@f1talks 1u
It looks like Honeywell changed their decision or we will have other big player on the grid with American roots. #F1

The cameras have shown a lot of Coke executives in Lotus boxes, maybe is just for 'Burn' or maybe they are extending their sponsorship w/ the team.

Advertisement

#2120 swerved

swerved

• 3,597 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:22

Looks like Lotus have got off on the right foot with the E21, particularly in Kimi's hands, good to see the team have a couple of relatively trouble free practice sessions, also good news on the sponsorship front, hope that works out, no doubt Kimi's win last week could only have been viewed in a positive light by anyone negotiating, and the general trend should only strengthen Lopez's position, heady days, but also early ones and we shouldn't get carried away because things can turn in an instant, but at least the team look to be heading in a positive directiom, my own mood is cautiously optimistic, and i'm keeping everything crossed, one thing i think is undeniable, Kimi looks to be hungry, and up for the challenge. :up:

#2121 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:24

https://twitter.com/...5557121/photo/1

Posted Image

The Dark Knight rises again. :cool:

Edited by V3TT3L, 22 March 2013 - 10:25.

#2122 Oho

Oho

• 7,510 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:26

The cameras have shown a lot of Coke executives in Lotus boxes, maybe is just for 'Burn' or maybe they are extending their sponsorship w/ the team.

Sounds like they are gonna have something filling the pointless red band on both drivers helmets above the visor.

#2123 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:27

Kimi on FP2: "It was OK today and for sure we could have gone faster so I think it's reasonable."

#2124 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:28

Kimi on FP2: "It was OK today and for sure we could have gone faster so I think it's reasonable."

yeah it surely wasnt done with low fuel load and not even in best condition as it was alreaydy raining a bit when he did his best time. still think Vettel is the pole favourite but who knows what Lotus and mainly Kimi can do if the weather is dry .

Edited by Vesuvius, 22 March 2013 - 10:29.

#2125 concussion

concussion

• 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:29

One race does not a season make...

Fair statement. I think the lotus car has a lot of potential this season that we really need both driver to consistently bring in the points.

#2126 cotecine

cotecine

• 61 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:31

@Vesuvius thx for the info.

Edited by cotecine, 22 March 2013 - 10:31.

#2127 cokeb

cokeb

• 114 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:36

Boullier is destroying Kimi's season by having him test unproven upgrades!!!!1 :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:p

#2128 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:45

More Kimi's comments :http://www.lotusf1te...ce.html?lang=en

We’ve seen showers almost as intense as the heat here already; how does the changeable weather affect you in the car?

I don’t really mind about the weather; we can’t change it and it’s the same for everybody. It’s hot when you walk around the paddock, but you don’t notice it so much in the car with all the air coming into the cockpit. Like I said, the car feels good in all conditions so I’m not worried what happens.
So overall a good start to the weekend?

It was a pretty good day and it’s always nice to be fastest, but of course that doesn’t mean it will be the same for the whole weekend.We ran pretty heavy so I don’t know what will happen when everyone is light for qualifying, but I’m happy with where we are and expect we’ll be reasonable tomorrow. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

starting to sound too good :)

Edited by Vesuvius, 22 March 2013 - 10:47.

#2129 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:46

Just wanted to post that part as well! :)

Allison: "I'm happy with our day's work. We came here this week seeking reassurance that our car would be equally as competitive in a very different set of conditions to what we saw in Australia, and the early indications are that it looks reasonably useful. The upgrades we've trialled today also appear to be working well.
The only slight interruption to proceedings was a compromise to our long run programme once the rain arrived, but this actually proved to be pretty useful in itself as we now have a better understanding of the crossover point for the intermediate tyres."

Grosjean: "We're still working on the setup of the car as it's not quite right for me and it's difficult to understand why exactly. The new front wing does feel better than the one before so that helps.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/106250

Edited by F.M., 22 March 2013 - 10:49.

#2130 PolarF1

PolarF1

• 120 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:48

Does anyone have a picture of the new exhaust?

#2131 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:50

Does anyone have a picture of the new exhaust?

They are around in this thread. Maybe not the best, but you can see that it resembles the current Red Bull exhaust more; bit of a bulge and steeper ramp.

http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=6185610
http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=6185708
http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=6185904

Edited by F.M., 22 March 2013 - 10:53.

#2132 Santuri9

Santuri9

• 44 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:51

Boullier is destroying Kimi's season by having him test unproven upgrades!!!!1 :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:p

Hahaha :rotfl:
Shades of 2012..

#2133 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:54

Exhaust and tunnel closer to RBR's design now with bumpy outlet and narrower tunnel
http://img1.auto-mot...ea0f-671349.jpg

Posted Image

#2134 concussion

concussion

• 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:56

Sometimes I hope Kimi would just downplay his pace a bit more, that way we can have a bigger element of surprise come race day.

#2135 PolarF1

PolarF1

• 120 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:58

They are around in this thread. Maybe not the best, but you can see that it resembles the current Red Bull exhaust more; bit of a bulge and steeper ramp.

http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=6185610
http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=6185708
http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=6185904

Thnx, I guess I jumped a couple of pages.
Looks better too!

#2136 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,492 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:59

I think we are finally seeing the old Kimi again.. The car seems to sit well in his hands and he can do things we used to see in the McLaren.. Beautiful to watch.. I don't mean the times but the driving..

But it does not look so easy for his teammate.

Edited by Mauseri, 22 March 2013 - 11:00.

#2137 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:01

Posted Image

No, cooling gills!! *Mercedes panic mode*

Even the paintjob is different on the new rear bodywork

Edit: New hashtags: "WeMissedYou" and "SepangSundae"

Edited by F.M., 22 March 2013 - 11:04.

#2138 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:07

THe new exhaust and bodywork around it look like a pretty considerable change if you ask me.

Now I just wish they would change that font of the driver's name. It's giant and yet I bet 90% of people can't even read what it says.

#2139 Starish

Starish

• 985 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:34

THe new exhaust and bodywork around it look like a pretty considerable change if you ask me.

Now I just wish they would change that font of the driver's name. It's giant and yet I bet 90% of people can't even read what it says.

Its probably going to be sponsor space soon anyways.

Advertisement

#2140 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:39

James Allison, Technical Director: “I’m happy with our day’s work. We came here this week seeking reassurance that our car would be equally as competitive in a very different set of conditions to what we saw in Australia, and the early indications are that it looks reasonably useful. The upgrades we’ve trialled today also appear to be working well. Although both drivers ran the new front wing, Romain was at somewhat of a disadvantage in not having the latest exhaust variation and related bodywork on his car, so he can take heart from a healthy position on the time sheets. The only slight interruption to proceedings was a compromise to our long run programme once the rain arrived, but this actually proved to be pretty useful in itself as we now have a better understanding of the crossover point for the intermediate tyres. Overall it’s been a very productive day.”

Will you able to maintain that development throughout the 2013 season against your main rivals?

JA: I think our team has got a reasonable history of keeping up with, and sometimes exceeding the general development race that happens during the season.

Edited by Alburaq, 22 March 2013 - 11:45.

#2141 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:03

Will Romain get the new upgrades tomorrow?

I find it fantastic to see the Lotus (in my heart they remain Benetton) doing so well. On par with Red Bull. How cool is that, with their budget? I can imagine Kimi thinking this was the best move i ever made in F1. Outstanding job guys. Very impressive.

#2142 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:06

I am inclined to say that if Lotus gains enough points cushion before the race 10, they may run away for the title. Lotus will have problem in the second half of the season due money. Absolutely crucial to win as many races as possible at these fly away series for Kimi. Kimi wil be the contender if the updates goes as planed... As of Romain, I say he should try to recover well, but must avoid 100% putting himself in another crash no matter how the situation may appear strange.

:cat:

Would be great to have another race between Ferrari and RBR.

#2143 Radion

Radion

• 717 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:14

Posted Image

That's one badass looking pic of our kimster!

Any high-res available?

#2144 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 580 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:18

I think the team is not very 'amused' by Grosjean at the moment... (considering this is leading to bad publicity because of RoGro crying 'somethings wrong with his car'..

Grosjean is a whiner (translated by Nicole)
http://www.mtv3.fi/u.../2009/10/967040
Posted Image

Rookie-driver Romain Grosjean has got a negative reputation on the F1-paddock because of his behavior, MTV3:s F1-expert Jyrki Järvilehto tells.

- We have heard quite many things about Grosjean being a real whiner. He whines, complains and says that things aren’t working the right way. They have disliked it very much in Renault’s circles. He has said that he doesn’t have the same machinery and that he hasn’t got everything he would have needed, Järvilehto told.

-this image is too much :lol:

I´ve been saying from the start of testing this guy is the biggest whiner in F1 now, looks like im being proven right... You just have to remember at the barcelona test, he was crying non-stop about getting the two days with rain, despite at that point having double the testing mileage Kimi had. And coming out from pre-season with MORE THAN DOUBLE.
Also consider that having crashed in half the races last year, it was somehow never his fault. To this day, he didnt acknowledge an error on his part for any of the crashes, it was always "something always happened around me" "I was squeezed", etc. So of course once he starts getting out-performed by Kimi (something I said before the season would naturally happen, because of Kimi having worked away his single seater rust of two years rallying), now suddenly "something is wrong with my car". It´s never him, is it?

Edited by Rikhart, 22 March 2013 - 12:26.

#2145 Oho

Oho

• 7,510 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:21

Even the paintjob is different on the new rear bodywork

Well the other one is mirror image, hence the opposite side I assume.

#2146 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,890 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:27

That's one badass looking pic of our kimster!

Any high-res available?

This one is a little bit better, I think: http://25.media.tumb...wwlyo1_1280.jpg

It's great to hear a confident Kimi - and team. I am just holding my breath, thinking that we may get thrown back into reality come Sunday. Although it does look promising speed-wise.

Interesting trivia I found out earlier today. The last time Kimi topped a practice session wasn't in 2008 as I first thought. It was in 2009. Guess where? Malaysia FP2.

#2147 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:29

I am inclined to say that if Lotus gains enough points cushion before the race 10, they may run away for the title. Lotus will have problem in the second half of the season due money. Absolutely crucial to win as many races as possible at these fly away series for Kimi. Kimi wil be the contender if the updates goes as planed...

Lotus will not run away with the titles this year. Even if RBR could not sort out its tyres degradation problem, Ferrari would not allow Lotus to have it easy.

#2148 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 133 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:32

Sometimes I hope Kimi would just downplay his pace a bit more, that way we can have a bigger element of surprise come race day.

Maybe he tried to. Maybe the others are just miles away in race setup.

I can feel the pain of the Tifosi and Hamfans :)

#2149 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:34

Posted Image

The Dark Knight rises again. :cool:

More like "JUDGE KIMI"!
"Citizens of F1, Newey is not the Law, I am the Law"

This season has just exploded into overdrive, with Kimi-Lotus combination tearing up the form books. :up:

Edited by BackOnTop, 22 March 2013 - 12:40.

#2150 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,765 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:42

The E21 has turned out to be a fast and beautiful car. It will have a title sponsor soon. Let's focus on the car and minimize the driver discussion, please. It would be a shame if we throw away a chance to enjoy a fast car and a good season because of petty driver rivalries.

Allison seems confident about their ability to keep pace with the development race. Thats great news. It also looks like the new developments are working and are staying on the car.