Lotus E21

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4314 replies to this topic

#2701 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,225 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 16:40

From intelligentsia's post:

I think this is a worrying racing manners. Racing drivers think it is okay to seamlessly blend in with another car in pit-lane and that they could drive on the blue zone. In most tracks there is no space for two tracks and that is definitely not the place to race side-by-side. FIA is to blame for this as they themselves seem to think it is okay. This should not happen, and they would only realize when a big incident happens and a pit personnel gets injured.

well we all know HULK SMASH !!!!

he did the same in brazil last year with LH

if kimi's stuck behind you, he won't mind and shout 'get him out of the way'. however, if u tell him to remove his sunglasses or touch his wheels, you better watch out.

Advertisement

#2702 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,225 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 17:05

Arrrgh!!!! this 3 week gap is getting on my nerv already :mad: , imagine, 3 weeks without Formula 1 :eek:

this is why i don't like back to backs, it's great fun and all, the withdrawal is severe.

#2703 Wander

Wander

• 2,280 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 18:41

I'm sure they will be more competitive again in China. I want to emphasize that listening to Kimi's comments, and with the weather and everything, it could've been much worse, too in Sepang.

Everyone knew that this kind of yo-yo effect on form was always going to happen at the start of the season. I think anything is possible, even a championship. Now we just have to wait for this stupid 3 week gap to end.

#2704 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 20:36

Rob Wilson (the driving guru) talking about Kimi's driving style after Australia and comparing it to Alonso and Button etc.

http://www.youtube.c...o...=youtu.be

Edited by F.M., 25 March 2013 - 20:37.

#2705 ZZei

ZZei

• 419 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 22:22

Rob Wilson (the driving guru) talking about Kimi's driving style after Australia and comparing it to Alonso and Button etc.

http://www.youtube.c...o...=youtu.be

Could someone write down what Wilson is saying. As a non-native english speaker its pretty hard to understand him cause of the crappy quality.

#2706 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 22:40

Yea, I actually wished that they wouldn't show the car as much on TV. Because it was painful to watch at times.

:D :D Have to admit, me too. It was painful

#2707 Wander

Wander

• 2,280 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 23:13

Could someone write down what Wilson is saying. As a non-native english speaker its pretty hard to understand him cause of the crappy quality.

A quick transcription by me

On Kimi:

"Yeah, he just does the job. There are subtle things you can see as he's leaving corners, keeping the car just flat for a car length or so. And his direction change, not going for massive high corner speed in the slower corners, just direction change. A very, very supple driver, and a very straight-line driver, once the manipulation is done, coming out. Will the people pick up on that? I don't know."

On Fernando:

"Well, clearly a little bit more energy goes into the car, but it's just superb, doing probably the second best job in the whole race there. So, just a little bit more aggressive, which is going to work the car a little bit harder. But again, Kimi, doing the fastest lap a couple of laps from the end, when people were thinking 'is he prepared, is he physically ok from the race?' - he just showed once again to Alonso, you know, don't bother trying."

Then he just says how Button is a smooth, traditional type of driver, but because his corners are 'longer' than those of drivers like Kimi, that may expose any problems in the car and affect him more than some other guys.

Edited by Wander, 25 March 2013 - 23:14.

#2708 ZZei

ZZei

• 419 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:53

A quick transcription by me

On Kimi:

"Yeah, he just does the job. There are subtle things you can see as he's leaving corners, keeping the car just flat for a car length or so. And his direction change, not going for massive high corner speed in the slower corners, just direction change. A very, very supple driver, and a very straight-line driver, once the manipulation is done, coming out. Will the people pick up on that? I don't know."

On Fernando:

"Well, clearly a little bit more energy goes into the car, but it's just superb, doing probably the second best job in the whole race there. So, just a little bit more aggressive, which is going to work the car a little bit harder. But again, Kimi, doing the fastest lap a couple of laps from the end, when people were thinking 'is he prepared, is he physically ok from the race?' - he just showed once again to Alonso, you know, don't bother trying."

Then he just says how Button is a smooth, traditional type of driver, but because his corners are 'longer' than those of drivers like Kimi, that may expose any problems in the car and affect him more than some other guys.

Thanks. Doesnt really say anything we dont already though.

#2709 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:05

Interesting commnent that shorter corner a little bit more square line makes the tire works longer and better.

so who is this young Japanese driver?

#2710 DrF

DrF

• 1,455 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 18:48

Grosjean had suspension failure in Melbourne.
http://www.formel1.d.../newsID/1681772

Hmmm. I suspect Lotus has the active ride height systems they were developing last year and are having teething issues with it, last race was RG this time it was KR

#2711 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,935 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 18:54

Hmmm. I suspect Lotus has the active ride height systems they were developing last year and are having teething issues with it, last race was RG this time it was KR

I suspect the same, hopefully they will find the answer to their problems.

#2712 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 20:13

The active ride height system was banned. No?

#2713 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 20:39

The active ride height system was banned. No?

it is kinda banned. Lotus made it in 2012 and wanted to race it, but it was connected to brake pedal, now it seems to be connected with some sensors so driver cant control it at all

#2714 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 20:41

Are there any links on it or something? Doesn't sound remotely legal.

#2715 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 20:43

Ted mentioned it during FP in Malaysia or so.

#2716 DrF

DrF

• 1,455 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 20:50

There was a lot of speculation about it last year, one of the teams questioned its legality and it was deemed illegal. The problems they've been having are suspension related, so I'm just wondering if maybe it's made a comeback.

#2717 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,663 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 21:17

http://scarbsf1.com/...ear-suspension/ ?

Edited by Callisto, 26 March 2013 - 21:22.

#2718 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 21:21

If it has sensors then it is not passive. The one that was banned was passive.

#2719 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,663 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 21:24

If it has sensors then it is not passive. The one that was banned was passive.

That not how I understand it,the way I under stand it is if its not controlled by the driver and is not a secondary effect ,I.e lotus anti dive(braking) and Merc ddrs its passive

Edited by Callisto, 26 March 2013 - 21:35.

Advertisement

#2720 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 18:12

Lotus' pitstops are over a full second slower. It many races that's a deficit of at least 3-4 second to their main rivals...

http://www.f1fanatic...gies-pit-stops/

Edited by F.M., 27 March 2013 - 18:13.

#2721 kartinhero

kartinhero

• 321 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 19:58

http://video.sina.co...1748261110.html

Kimi's China 2012 pre race interview.. just for fun

#2722 swerved

swerved

• 3,622 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:19

Lotus' pitstops are over a full second slower. It many races that's a deficit of at least 3-4 second to their main rivals...

Yep, I think last season they finished 6th or 7th ? can't recall, In Aus they were 4th, its something they've admitted to and hopefully will address,

"You're right; for some reason as a team we lost our mojo a little over the Malaysia weekend. On Friday our practice stops were as good as they ever have been, but from Saturday onwards we were struggling to string good stops together. The switch from wet to dry conditions and subsequent front wing flap adjustments didn't help, but even taking that into consideration it still wasn't our best weekend. We have to take that on the chin, put everyone through their paces with some more practice at Enstone, and work hard to get back to where we should be and deserve to be. Similar to a football team; when we are good praise is due, and when we aren't we need to face up to that as a unit, work hard together and get ourselves back on song."

From this interview.

http://www.planetf1......lanetF1 News)

#2723 Diderlo

Diderlo

• 170 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:22

Not to mention the huge tactical disadvantage in tight packs.

#2724 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,225 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:35

Lotus race team manager Paul Seaby reviews the team's busy start to the Championship while looking ahead to the next double-header...

http://www.planetf1....ith-Lotus-Seaby

Q: Pit stops were a bit of a mixed bag during the last race; how are these coming along?

PS: You're right; for some reason as a team we lost our mojo a little over the Malaysia weekend. On Friday our practice stops were as good as they ever have been, but from Saturday onwards we were struggling to string good stops together. The switch from wet to dry conditions and subsequent front wing flap adjustments didn't help, but even taking that into consideration it still wasn't our best weekend. We have to take that on the chin, put everyone through their paces with some more practice at Enstone, and work hard to get back to where we should be and deserve to be. Similar to a football team; when we are good praise is due, and when we aren't we need to face up to that as a unit, work hard together and get ourselves back on song.

'lost our mojo' ... ??? have they ever had a pitstop sub 3 second ??? this is one area that doesn't require millions in fabrication and CFD, just good ol' elbow grease, lotus should concentrate more on this sort of gains.

Edited by eronrules, 28 March 2013 - 11:36.

#2725 SilentKiller

SilentKiller

• 646 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:10

Any news on Sponsors?

#2726 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 22:17

'lost our mojo' ... ??? have they ever had a pitstop sub 3 second ??? this is one area that doesn't require millions in fabrication and CFD, just good ol' elbow grease, lotus should concentrate more on this sort of gains.

With a 3 second stop Kimi would have jumped Grosjean, Perez and Ricciardo.

Grosjean was asked if he wanted stop first but said it was too wet..

#2727 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,918 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 22:25

With a 3 second stop Kimi would have jumped Grosjean, Perez and Ricciardo.

To be fair, I think this was the stop when they made front wing adjustments on Kimi's car...but yeah even taking that into consideration, the time wasn't exactly quick.

Edited by Jovanotti, 28 March 2013 - 22:27.

#2728 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:36

Lotus race team manager Paul Seaby reviews the team's busy start to the Championship while looking ahead to the next double-header...

http://www.planetf1....ith-Lotus-Seaby

I agree with them that they lost their mojo. They may not have had sub-3 second as norm. But they did keep it to 4 s. And you are wrong if you think pit stop is all human skills. Teams have invested millions of dollars to develop lighting system, super-fast gunners, super-quick reaction boards on the cockpit. This is not just elbow grease. This was one week where the human skills have slacked a bit, but Lotus is right they would be on it next race.

#2729 JamesHunt

JamesHunt

• 303 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 16:12

New podcast from James Allison, mainly about Lotus and Kimi. Great insight from Allison and very encouraging quotes <3

http://www.jamesalle...arens-problems/

#2730 DeeTaylor

DeeTaylor

• 8 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 16:23

From that podcast

James Allison "Kimis absolutely exquisite throttle control over the whole race,and brakes, meant that he didn't break traction more than twice over the whole race and thats really quite something"

#2731 benzine

benzine

• 132 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 16:33

From that podcast

James Allison "Kimis absolutely exquisite throttle control over the whole race,and brakes, meant that he didn't break traction more than twice over the whole race and thats really quite something"

because he overtook only hulkenberg on track ?

#2732 DeeTaylor

DeeTaylor

• 8 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 16:37

Did Hamilton just vapourise into thin air then ? plus those he passed at the start ?

#2733 beute

beute

• 1,211 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 16:52

he refers to australia.

#2734 benzine

benzine

• 132 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 16:54

he refers to australia.

makes sense because effectively he was on a race of his own

#2735 benzine

benzine

• 132 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 17:33

by breaking traction u mean just wheel spin or sliding the car ? if it was wheel spin it is impossible to do it just two times in a whole race

#2736 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 17:46

by breaking traction u mean just wheel spin or sliding the car ? if it was wheel spin it is impossible to do it just two times in a whole race

Breaking traction means wheel spin whether the car is in a straight line or in a slide.

#2737 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,663 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 17:59

And you would know that how?

#2738 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 18:28

Allison specifically talks about the spin.

#2739 benzine

benzine

• 132 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 18:30

so he didn't spin the wheels on the start , pulling from his pitbox twice , in his outlaps , in any fast lap did ?

Advertisement

#2740 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 18:41

Guys do not engage benzine, he's a troll. Just leave him be.

#2741 DeeTaylor

DeeTaylor

• 8 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 20:17

Allisons words seem to tie in with what Rob Wilson says about Kimis driving style, being supple etc, good also to hear about Kimi thinking about the race in terms of pacing himself and the E21.
It also sounds like Lotus are prepared to listen to what he tells them wrt the state of the tyres etc, and that they seem to have confidence in Kimis feedback.
They do need to work on the pitstops though cause its no good being able to get the best out of the tyres if they throw the advantage away in slow pitstop times.

#2742 kartinhero

kartinhero

• 321 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 22:11

so he didn't spin the wheels on the start , pulling from his pitbox twice , in his outlaps , in any fast lap did ?

He did. 2 times total.

#2743 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 22:13

New podcast from James Allison, mainly about Lotus and Kimi. Great insight from Allison and very encouraging quotes <3

http://www.jamesalle...arens-problems/

Allison: "What I'm confident of is that there's a significant opportunity to improve this car. It's not proving difficult to find performance in the windtunnel. There's (also) a raft of mechanical changes we think we can bring to make it quicker."

He also says getting the car to the first race is the money consuming part and they made that. Making the car quicker is relatively cheap.

Edited by F.M., 29 March 2013 - 22:19.

#2744 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 22:38

I particularly like how he approaches developing the car. It gives you an insight into how various teams follow different philosophies towards building a car, at what stage they are in at an intermittent stage at the season opening, and the future destination they see for the car. It makes me feel confident that they have a clear vision on where the gains could be made. In the years past with two team bi-polies and constant regulation, the developement path often seemed to be venturing into unknown territory and taking concept-risks in a money-spending war. I hope they are able to out-develop all the big teams and go all the way in the championship!

#2745 ToXiCiTy

ToXiCiTy

• 72 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 14:39

I dont know where to put this, because its on Lotus site, but its about a driver. Mods can move it if they see it fit.

Räikkönen Revealed - Getting Close to the Iceman [Part 1]

#2746 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 15:08

– if I saw he didn’t want to do it, i had to ask in an opposite way. I’d say to him: “Don’t you take the trash can out; I will do it myself.” Usually that way Kimi did it,” his mother recalls.
Lesson for some parents.. :lol:

#2747 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,918 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:23

Allison believes Lotus has genuine pace and will continue to challenge at the front

Lotus technical director James Allison believes the team’s car has genuine pace in the dry and will continue to race at the front of the field in the upcoming races.

So it looks like, contradictory to earlier comments from Lotus, the E21 has indeed inherited the wet track "qualities" of last years car. The majority of the races will be dry, but this can significantly harm their title campaign in a season that very likely will be decided by only few points. Is there any other team on the grid that's so weather-dependant?

Edited by Jovanotti, 03 April 2013 - 09:24.

#2748 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,935 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:39

Allison believes Lotus has genuine pace and will continue to challenge at the front

So it looks like, contradictory to earlier comments from Lotus, the E21 has indeed inherited the wet track "qualities" of last years car. The majority of the races will be dry, but this can significantly harm their title campaign in a season that very likely will be decided by only few points. Is there any other team on the grid that's so weather-dependant?

China could be wet or at least cold...bad if both, hopefully it stays dry in quali and race and we can see more about the pecking order.

Force India was fast on dry but struggled a lot in rain conditions, McLaren was much stronger on wet than dry...Ferrari last year was best on rain conditions but not in dry but from top teams Lotus has the most difficulties with wet and it's because of they are so gentle to the tyres= not enough heat to the tyres, Kimi said after rainy sepang quali that his intermediates were like new ones after the laps he did with them and still there was no grip.

#2749 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 14:02

I am glad that they have the pace on dry. Keeping things in perspective, they have done a great job of producing top cars for the past two years. I hope they continue to do that.

#2750 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 14:18

I am glad that they have the pace on dry. Keeping things in perspective, they have done a great job of producing top cars for the past two years. I hope they continue to do that.

2010 car was good as well, 2011 was good till EBD for everyone (they just coulnd't reproduce it).

China could be wet or at least cold...bad if both, hopefully it stays dry in quali and race and we can see more about the pecking order.

Aus was cold but dry and they looked brilliant there. Though I expect them to be class of the field in dry and hot conditions with their best tyre management and really good race pace

Edited by Shiroo, 03 April 2013 - 14:20.