* * * * - 17 votes

Lotus E21

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4314 replies to this topic

#251 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:36

If they wanted to do subliminal advertising for Mars bars they pulled it off...

Posted Image

I'm pretty sure Kimi likes those :) Maybe he was a livery consultant this year :p

Edited by F.M., 28 January 2013 - 20:37.

Advertisement

#252 OSX

OSX

• 4,207 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:37

If they wanted to do subliminal advertising for Mars bars they pulled it off...

Posted Image

Good one! :lol: Think I'll need to go and buy myself a Mars bar now...

#253 g1n

g1n

• 874 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:38

:up:

She's got pretty make-up, shame about her nose job.

yes, like of a tart maybe...

#254 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 556 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:38

Not sure if already mentioned.

"Allison confirmed that Lotus will continue with the passive DRS system they trialed last season."

"This is an area we continue to work on and the passive nature of the switching of our device means it is not outlawed by the latest regulations.

"It is not something which will be a silver bullet to transform our car, but it is something which could add performance as part of the overall design."

#255 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,166 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:40

That red totally spoils the car, I have no idea what they were thinking adding even more of it to the car. A shame, because I really quite liked last years car - even their version of the stepped nose.

#256 chumma

chumma

• 960 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:41

Im gonna go out on a limb and say this car is going to win one of the first 3 races this season. This does look like a very nice evolution of last years car which was good in all areas, and lets not forget they have alot to gain from coanda exhausts, something most other teams already had.

#257 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,535 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:43

Interesting sidepod inlets:

Posted Image

Or perhaps someone's already crashed it....................?

#258 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:44

Im gonna go out on a limb and say this car is going to win one of the first 3 races this season. This does look like a very nice evolution of last years car which was good in all areas, and lets not forget they have alot to gain from coanda exhausts, something most other teams already had.

how so?? the car can only show its potential on extreme hot track, poor straigline pace, poor traction and acceleration which made it difficult to pass or defend car in front and behind.

E20 is an effective car on tyre as james stated, but it lacks coverage and consistency to show the pace on various condition and not limiting.

#259 chumma

chumma

• 960 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:44

Also surprised at the suspension area at the rear, I thought most cars at the front would follow Red Bull's idea last year of incorporating the drive shaft into a profiled suspension arm creating a nice aerofoil and cleaning up the airflow to the diffuser, I expect McLaren and Ferrari to do that, Red Bull's rear suspension last year was beautiful.

Advertisement

#260 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 292 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:45

Maybe those side pods are reserved for Honeywell?

Posted Image

#261 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,535 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:45

Interesting sidepod inlets:

Posted Image

The side pod wings are what I was expecting McLaren to develop last year. To combine the vertical strakes/turning vanes on the top surface of the side-pod with the horizontal element. I was told at the time that it probably wouldn't be legal.

Edited by Obi Offiah, 28 January 2013 - 20:48.

#262 chumma

chumma

• 960 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:48

how so?? the car can only show its potential on extreme hot track, poor straigline pace, poor traction and acceleration which made it difficult to pass or defend car in front and behind.

E20 is an effective car on tyre as james stated, but it lacks coverage and consistency to show the pace on various condition and not limiting.

My apologies, but I think a car that was consistently at the front, great on race day and consistent is a good solid car to build from. There was only really the top 3 that trumped it and not by much. The Lotus car should have had more than its single victory, and bad cars don't win races. But lets not go off topic, this thread is for the E21.

#263 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Looking at the 'RB8-type' solution I wonder what influence might have had the common engine, which formed part of an effective package in the third part of the season in this very area. Might they also have a resonator chamber under that sidepod?

@chumma: A good catch about the rear suspension.

Edited by H2H, 28 January 2013 - 20:49.

#264 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

I like it! :up:

I may be crazy, but I think that the colours all mesh together beautifully.

#265 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:00

i think by preserving the similar rear suspension, they are hoping for the tyre friendly trait to last in E21.

#266 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 556 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:01

Differences between live photos and computer versions:
- small changes on front wing (cascades, main plate)
- different front wing pillars
- downwash wings/ sidepods wings
- different RW endplates
- air intakes for passive DDRS.
maybe some more...

#267 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:02

I like that it shows the driver name prominently. But I really don't like all the red. Last year's car had a slightly mysterious "dark horse" kind of appeal to it. The screaming "look at me" red screws it up. Also surprised how tiny the Burn sponsorship is.

#268 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,157 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:05

I like that it shows the driver name prominently. But I really don't like all the red. Last year's car had a slightly mysterious "dark horse" kind of appeal to it. The screaming "look at me" red screws it up. Also surprised how tiny the Burn sponsorship is.

Spot on :up:

#269 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:17

Also surprised at the suspension area at the rear, I thought most cars at the front would follow Red Bull's idea last year of incorporating the drive shaft into a profiled suspension arm creating a nice aerofoil and cleaning up the airflow to the diffuser, I expect McLaren and Ferrari to do that, Red Bull's rear suspension last year was beautiful.

Might as well still be on the actual car

Allison: "The front and rear suspension layouts are substantially revised to try and give us better aerodynamic opportunities."

#270 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:21

About today's car sidpods...
Confusion is caused by the fact that E20 air intakes evolved atleat two times last season. In the early tests they had 2 crash-structure-like bulges each. (white arrow on the right/look where the air compressor sits, on the left) In barcelona They only kept the upper ones and lost the others. And in Monaco, the sidepods received more triangular air intakes (while sidepods used to have elliptic/rectangular ones)
Today's car has the early E20 sidepods... they added Sauber/mclaren horiz winglets to them

1st version (E20)
Posted Image

2nd version
Posted Image[

Edited by Alburaq, 28 January 2013 - 21:23.

#271 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:22

Might as well still be on the actual car

Allison: "The front and rear suspension layouts are substantially revised to try and give us better aerodynamic opportunities."

I looked a bit on the CGI posted here but all in all we will just have to wait till we see the cars giving it a go on the black stuff. Lotus won't deal us all the available cards at the launch.

#272 DrF

DrF

• 1,447 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:25

Not sure if already mentioned.

"Allison confirmed that Lotus will continue with the passive DRS system they trialed last season."

"This is an area we continue to work on and the passive nature of the switching of our device means it is not outlawed by the latest regulations.

"It is not something which will be a silver bullet to transform our car, but it is something which could add performance as part of the overall design."

Why? It wasted practice time, didn't work for Mercedes and proved to be useless as well as unpredictable.
If they do get it right, it'll be banned.
Why persist?

#273 doombug11

doombug11

• 40 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:31

Car looks quite nice and sleek, though I have to agree the red on the sidepods do take a bit away from its overall appeal. Maybe its a result of the issues they had a couple years back in Canada and the straight black and gold liveries association with jps?

Really hope this is a top running car, would love to see Kimi win it this year!

Edited by doombug11, 28 January 2013 - 21:33.

#274 Absulute

Absulute

• 873 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:34

That red totally spoils the car, I have no idea what they were thinking adding even more of it to the car. A shame, because I really quite liked last years car - even their version of the stepped nose.

$$$$$$$$$

#275 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,889 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:35

Why? It wasted practice time, didn't work for Mercedes and proved to be useless as well as unpredictable.
If they do get it right, it'll be banned.
Why persist?

Mercedes system was totally different one....also new rule that limits DRS use is big advantage for Lotus system if they get it work, they said they learned a lot from young drivers test and new car should be build a round that system.I'm expecting Lotus and particularly Kimi to start season with podiums.

#276 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,078 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:40

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/21239881 - Gary Anderson insight.

#277 Anja

Anja

• 508 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:41

$$$$$$$$$

Yeah, cause the red under driver's name and a logo of their owner will give them money.
That is, assuming that this spot isn't just waiting for Honeywell as it is suggested by some.

#278 Owen

Owen

• 10,506 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:45

Pretty tidy update. Disappointed about the nose but that's purely for aesthetic reasons. Very red bull at the back.

#279 chumma

chumma

• 960 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:54

What on earth are those....things on the inside of the front tyres, underside of the car? Obviously turning vanes of some sort but...I have never seen those before?

Advertisement

#280 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,473 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:55

It looks just like RB8...............LOL

You've said that a couple times now and I dont know why. It looks nothing like the RB8. It has a similar idea with the exhausts, but thats about it.

#281 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:56

What on earth are those....things on the inside of the front tyres, underside of the car? Obviously turning vanes of some sort but...I have never seen those before?

Brake ducts. Slightly unusual that they swoop down, good eye.

#282 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:57

I like it! :up:

I may be crazy, but I think that the colours all mesh together beautifully.

Same. I dig it.

#283 Menace

Menace

• 12,300 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:57

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/21239881 - Gary Anderson insight.

Not one original opinion, just cut and paste of the team quotes. Besides of course this gem that sounds like it came from this board:

One obvious change from the 2012 car was a new design for using the exhausts for aerodynamic effect. The bodywork that helps guide the exhaust gases down to the area where the rear floor meets the rear wheels - where the gases 'seal' the gap and create downforce - is reminiscent of that on the 2012 championship-winning Red Bull.

Real insight there. :p  ;)

I'm not sold on all the red yet either, but if it ends up having a massive Honeywell logo, that would be fantastic. :)

Edited by Menace, 28 January 2013 - 21:58.

#284 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,473 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:59

Brake ducts. Slightly unusual that they swoop down, good eye.

Its part of the brake duct area, but they are below the actual brake ducts themselves.

#285 Absulute

Absulute

• 873 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:00

Yeah, cause the red under driver's name and a logo of their owner will give them money.
That is, assuming that this spot isn't just waiting for Honeywell as it is suggested by some.

And we don't know what Total have requested.

Almost all livery changes will be driven by sponsorship demand (unless you're Ferrari)

#286 chumma

chumma

• 960 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:04

And we don't know what Total have requested.

Almost all livery changes will be driven by sponsorship demand (unless you're Ferrari)

In saying that though, Ferrari did change their wings back to white to accommodate Santander.

#287 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,509 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:13

Looks fast :up:

#288 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:16

Under nose body shape is totally different?
Looks very flat anf thin, like Ferrari's 2012.
Can't really see what is going on at the rear between the endplates.

Besides, Looks like 2012 car with Red Bullside pods, only missing Red Bull ads :p

#289 Wander

Wander

• 2,279 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:18

Well, hopefully they actually make the passive DRS system work this time.

The livery is fine to me.

Now we just need to wait and see how quick it is.

#290 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:41

okay black red and gold

Posted Image

I like it :D

Or you know...

Posted Image

There's a reason D'Ambrosio is on the team. :p

#291 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:42

Looks fast :up:

Well thats that settled then.

#292 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,887 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:45

Well thats that settled then.

Indeed. Here's another fast-looking car.

Posted Image

#293 GhostR

GhostR

• 2,631 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:47

I'm liking the new livery. Not much else to say until we see the real car on track. Those vanes on the insides of the wheels are interesting though...

#294 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:49

If I had absolutely no knowledge on F1, I'd personally have thought of the Marussia as being the fastest or one of the fastest cars on the grid, purely based on how it looks. So I wouldn't draw too many conclusions yet.

#295 August

August

• 2,122 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:56

The only improvements in the livery are the endplates, otherwise it's worse.

#296 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:58

Chumma and GhostR

Those vanes are there since 2009. The R29 had 'pre-historic' ones. In Valencia 2010, the R30 received the 'modern' ones for the first time. E20 has the same vanes... maybe because the car you saw today is an E20 :) :p

R30:
Posted Image

E20
Posted Image

Edited by Alburaq, 28 January 2013 - 23:07.

#297 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,092 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:07

From the pictures alone, the E21 to seems like it will be a 'fast' car. But I am not sure how to explain that LOL

#298 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:31

Why did they need another driver apart from the reserve? They should spend that money on development of the E21 instead.

#299 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:35

I just noticed TW Steel is gone from the car.

Advertisement

#300 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:46

I just noticed TW Steel is gone from the car.

they are not their sponsors anymore. Similar to OMP.

On the other hand, CNBC became their sponsor?

Anyway, cant believe that some people dont believe that it is E21. I share opinion of Scrabs, that it is E21, that ofc will be changed a bit during 1st test (like DRD) and will look a bit different before 1st FP in Australia, but more or less that is E21. Due to not many regulations changes (tbh only changes are cosmetic ones) we couldn't expect something 'insane'.

And for me, the car looks pretty fast. Rear is REALLY improved compared to last year Lotus car. .Their exhaust was a bit 'normal', even their coanda one, wasn't particuallary magic. Also rear is way more tidy compared to old one. Rear wing looks different as well (especially lower part with all these 'openings'). Tray looks different, and diffuser is a bit more complex. Also these massive wings on the sidepods

so technically differences that are easy to spot on:
-new coanda exhaust with tunnels
-more undercut under sidepods
-massive wings on sides
-different endings on rear wing in bottom part
-typical changes like tray, more complex diffuser etc.

But changes are in the rear, and that's good thing. They lacked development there year ago. They had pretty "basic" car, YET it was really a good car. Still we can expect few more things to see on test I believe. Still, the car looks as it should -> evolved E20, instead of revolution.

And you really don't need to have gismos on car, or even car looking like an UFO spaceship. Some cars including E20 were looking pretty normal, yet they were really good and well-balanced.

Edited by Shiroo, 29 January 2013 - 03:01.