* * * * - 17 votes

Lotus E21

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4314 replies to this topic

#3851 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,797 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:50

The test took place yesterday, right? Any more pics or reports?

Advertisement

#3852 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,308 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:40

It was great to watch, just battle after battle for no real reason.

It wasn't racing to overtake and get to the front, most of that was done in pit stops with Raikkonen and Grosjean, it was just the same people constantly battling.

Gary Anderson- http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/22246192

Found it quite funny! :lol: Lotus with Kimi & Grosjean chilling out @ Bahrain, wondering what the fuss is all about.

They should get down on their knees and thank God they don't have the McLaren strategy team calling the pit stops.

#3853 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,483 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:18

Lotus tried out a double floor at the straightline test:
Posted Image

#3854 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:30

Lotus tried out a double floor at the straightline test:
Posted Image

Could be just the tea tray seen from a funny angle? On the other hand it does look kind of like it swoops down from the side of the floor seamlessly.
But what are those bulges on the engine cover? Measuring equipment?

Edited by Cool Beans, 28 April 2013 - 08:32.

#3855 Carlo's

Carlo's

• 999 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:55

It's just a splitter I think.

#3856 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:58

Could be just the tea tray seen from a funny angle?

That's it

But what are those bulges on the engine cover? Measuring equipment?

Yes. they used them last friday. you can see sensors near the right rear wheel

Edited by Alburaq, 28 April 2013 - 08:59.

#3857 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:06

Lotus F1 Team, Kimi & Grosjean have really gotten off to a very good start to the 2013 season. 1 Win + 3 Podiums = 4 Podiums in 4 Races. :up:
I am sure this consistency can be maintained for the whole season.

Posted Image

WDC Standings after Bahrain - 2013
01 Sebastian Vettel 77
02 Kimi Räikkönen 67
03 Lewis Hamilton 50
04 Fernando Alonso 47
05 Mark Webber 32
06 Felipe Massa 30

WCC Standings after Bahrain- 2013
01 Red Bull Racing-Renault 109
02 Lotus-Renault 93
03 Ferrari 77
04 Mercedes 64
05 Force India-Mercedes 26
06 McLaren-Mercedes 23

Edited by BackOnTop, 29 April 2013 - 06:07.

#3858 pryanjack

pryanjack

• 64 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 15:02

not running DRD, at least not on this run:

Posted Image
:well:

Just testing Barcelona upgrades? No "device" testing?

#3859 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 18:43

I wonder what exactly teams test during straight line tests.

Advertisement

#3860 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 21:18

Anything but the friday-destroyer-device it seems.

#3861 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,762 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 13:42

will see if they use the device at barcelona (or test it there?) as Allison didn't mention it on updates that will come to the car for barcelona:
-"there will be nothing revolutionary in the car, just lots of new things that should make car faster, Allison said."

according to Allison, there will be changes to the front wing, rear aerodynamics,diffusor and rear wing.
-" so lot's of things that will help us stay on championship battle." Allison said.

Edited by Vesuvius, 04 May 2013 - 13:42.

#3862 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 18:01

Before Valencia 2010 too, Allisson never said Renault will bring a whole new bodywork AND an exhaust blown floor :) he just said we'll bring a new floor and a new FW...
Allisson's update lists are rarely exhaustive :)

Edited by Alburaq, 04 May 2013 - 18:02.

#3863 TC3000

TC3000

• 1,019 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 19:45

I wonder what exactly teams test during straight line tests.

It's mainly done to gather data, to compare to the windtunnel and CFD data.
If the measured data on the real car (100% vs. 60% windtunnel model) match the data predicted by the windtunnel/CFD they have good "correlation", which in turn gives them confidence in the accuracy of their tools. (windtunnel/CFD)

#3864 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 15:15

Had a look at the statistics and Kimi is 3 points finishes away from the record of most consecutive points finishes in F1 history. Kimi currently 3rd at 21 consecutive points finishes, Alonso 2nd with 23, Schumacher on top with 24 :)

#3865 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 15:27

Last year Kimi completed all laps but one in the final race at Interlagos. :eek:

And some people call him lazy and non commited :rolleyes:

#3866 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,192 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 17:17

Last year Kimi completed all laps but one in the final race at Interlagos. :eek:

And some people call him lazy and non commited :rolleyes:

So you think when people say he was lazy, they mean he'd actually stop in the middle of a race?

You have some extremely bizarre comments man. :well:

When did you start watching F1?

Edited by Seanspeed, 05 May 2013 - 17:17.

#3867 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 711 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 17:33

Yeah I bet he was unmotivated at Brazil 09 when he had fuel in his eyes, too. Didn't let that stop him during what was probably the low point of his F1 career.

#3868 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 17:53

Yeah I bet he was unmotivated at Brazil 09 when he had fuel in his eyes, too. Didn't let that stop him during what was probably the low point of his F1 career.

He could have had a shot of winning that race if not for being clipped by Webber.

#3869 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 462 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:50

Well especially in the second half of 2009 he did quite some astonishing things with a very average car. I think over the second half of the season that year he was second in the standings, only behind Lewis Hamilton and his car was pretty bad.

And some quotes of Noble and Allen support the fact that he was all but unmotivated:

Jonathan Noble: “One team insider suggested that, looking at the data, Raikkonen has once again been doing things in the cockpit of a very difficult car that they can hardly believe. He is going beyond what, theoretically, the F60 would be capable of in normal hands as though the Finn’s last great act of defiance is to prove to his former bosses that they were wrong.”

James Allen: “His performances were astonishing. Even the Ferrari engineers don’t fully understand how he managed to get some of the podiums he did.”

#3870 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,666 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:01

I guess this has been turned into a driver's thread.

#3871 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,192 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:10

My bad.

#3872 PMM3

PMM3

• 222 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:24

So you think when people say he was lazy, they mean he'd actually stop in the middle of a race?

You have some extremely bizarre comments man. :well:

When did you start watching F1?

When those who called him lazy have not been able to clearly articulate what they meant for the last 3 years, how can you blame others for trying to interpret it one way or the other?

and whats up with this stupid question that gets asked ever more so frequently as to when someone started watching F1? - It doesnt matter one bit in this context.

#3873 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,192 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:28

When those who called him lazy have not been able to clearly articulate what they meant for the last 3 years, how can you blame others for trying to interpret it one way or the other?

Its a stupid accusation, no argument there.

But a 'he drove a bunch of laps in races' is a pretty crap defense against that accusation I hope you'd agree.

and whats up with this stupid question that gets asked ever more so frequently as to when someone started watching F1? - It doesnt matter one bit in this context.

Just his posts in general. Lots of bizarre comments. It matters because I want to know how flabbergasted I should act to some of these comments.

#3874 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 17:20

^ Much ado about nothing. It is clear that you replied to his post based on his previous posts in general and not based on that particular post. His post was totally fine. Yet you took it out on him so desperately. It absolutely did not warrant such type of response. Not the model of reasoning you believe it to be.

Edited by SpaMaster, 06 May 2013 - 17:22.

#3875 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 877 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 17:24

Can we get back to talking about what kimi had for lunch?

#3876 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,666 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 20:02

Can we get back to talking about what kimi had for lunch?

No motivation to make lunch today. He took a nap instead.  ;)

Hopefully Lotus will find more speed in the E21 before Mr. Vettel runs off in the distance.

#3877 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 22:13

So far the most impressive car has been the F138. If their bad fortune and mistakes subside, then I think they're the ones who'll run away with it. The Red Bull really wasn't too special last year and this year even less so. I think E21 may be #3, and that Kimi can work miracles in less-than-top cars, but that Ferrari is a stunner at everything and really don't see the E21 having a great chance of being able to compete with it.

#3878 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,011 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:01

So far the most impressive car has been the F138. If their bad fortune and mistakes subside, then I think they're the ones who'll run away with it. The Red Bull really wasn't too special last year and this year even less so. I think E21 may be #3, and that Kimi can work miracles in less-than-top cars, but that Ferrari is a stunner at everything and really don't see the E21 having a great chance of being able to compete with it.

I didn't see anything from Ferrari to think so good about it, so far. They have good car no doubts, but not a dominant one. E21 can fight with it I believe

People stop it, with E21 not being top car. God damn it, it has amazing race pace, best tyre management, probably best suspension. it's only flaw is not the best quali pace (though it might be tyre related).
And for christ sake, give some credit to team not only to Raikkonne. Sometimes when I read here posts I feel that Raikkonen is starting without a car, and his willpower and awesomness can move him with the speed on par with F1 cars. God damn it, he had all laps finished but 1 and all races last season BECAUSE OF CAR not because of being motivated. If car wouldn't be reliable I can asure you, that even with him being motivated it would break down.

Edited by Shiroo, 07 May 2013 - 05:06.

#3879 eREr

eREr

• 476 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:25

People stop it, with E21 not being top car. God damn it, it has amazing race pace, best tyre management, probably best suspension. it's only flaw is not the best quali pace (though it might be tyre related).
And for christ sake, give some credit to team not only to Raikkonne. Sometimes when I read here posts I feel that Raikkonen is starting without a car, and his willpower and awesomness can move him with the speed on par with F1 cars. God damn it, he had all laps finished but 1 and all races last season BECAUSE OF CAR not because of being motivated. If car wouldn't be reliable I can asure you, that even with him being motivated it would break down.

:up: :up:

Edited by eREr, 07 May 2013 - 06:25.

Advertisement

#3880 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,476 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:17

So Shiroo...

With Red Bull it's all because Adrian Newey, at Ferrari it's because Fernando Alonso and finally at Lotus it's because car. :p

#3881 Beamer

Beamer

• 1,349 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:30

So Shiroo...

With Red Bull it's all because Adrian Newey, at Ferrari it's because Fernando Alonso and finally at Lotus it's because car. :p

That's a fine balance than! Just proves that it's a team sport and you need all boxes ticked to be truly dominant! :p

#3882 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,666 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:35

I didn't see anything from Ferrari to think so good about it, so far. They have good car no doubts, but not a dominant one. E21 can fight with it I believe

:up: Great post.

#3883 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,797 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:51

God damn it, he had all laps finished but 1 and all races last season BECAUSE OF CAR not because of being motivated.

Oh and Grosjean had not all laps finished because of the car or what? Certainly not. It's no coincidence it is Räikkönen, Alonso and Schumacher who accomplished the longest finishing-in-the-points strike.
I don't know what suddenly the fuss is about, it's always team, car and driver, nothing new there.

What's more I could very rationally explain to you why I'd regard Ferrari or RB the better car atm, and there's nothing wrong with that.

#3884 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,173 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:53

Sorry, but if Räikkönen did finish all laps except one of 2012 it is because of the car AND because of his driving. If you're not convinced just compare with the laps his teammate finished.
If he finished 2012 in 3rd position is because of the car AND because of his driving.
If he's currently 2nd in the WDC, it is because of the E21 AND because of his driving.

You can have the best car ever, but if you don't have the driver you win a ****, and you can have the best driver ever, but if he's driving a potato you're also going to win a ****

And about tyre management: yes, the car has certain very useful characteristics (let's see if it keeps having it now that Pirelli has changed the hard tyres and gone all conservative with the tyre allocation), and also has a driver who is specially delicate with tyres (proof: state of his tyres after the Panzerplatte stage). How does this work, then? when Räikkönen struggles in qualifying because he doesn't bring the tyres to the right temperature in just one out-lap then it's Räikkönen's fault, but when he manages the tyres better than anybody else in the race is because of the E20/E21? Aren't both things related? Because, frankly, I do think they are.

#3885 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:45

Sorry, but if Räikkönen did finish all laps except one of 2012 it is because of the car AND because of his driving. If you're not convinced just compare with the laps his teammate finished.
If he finished 2012 in 3rd position is because of the car AND because of his driving.
If he's currently 2nd in the WDC, it is because of the E21 AND because of his driving.

You can have the best car ever, but if you don't have the driver you win a ****, and you can have the best driver ever, but if he's driving a potato you're also going to win a ****

And about tyre management: yes, the car has certain very useful characteristics (let's see if it keeps having it now that Pirelli has changed the hard tyres and gone all conservative with the tyre allocation), and also has a driver who is specially delicate with tyres (proof: state of his tyres after the Panzerplatte stage). How does this work, then? when Räikkönen struggles in qualifying because he doesn't bring the tyres to the right temperature in just one out-lap then it's Räikkönen's fault, but when he manages the tyres better than anybody else in the race is because of the E20/E21? Aren't both things related? Because, frankly, I do think they are.

:up:

#3886 pUs

pUs

• 2,543 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:47

Probably very close to the truth there. :up:

#3887 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 13:10

Probably very close to the truth there. :up:

i don't see why you put the word 'probably' at the beginning of your sentence and 'close' at the third...

#3888 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 13:50

Well-said. Some Kimi fans are embarrassingly all-Kimi Kimi-miracles blah blah. The fact of the matter is he has a car that allows him to do what he does. As much as Kimi being excellence-personified, the team is excellence-personified since they are punching way above their weight and have been doing so consistently for the four years. I have continued to say since the start of the last year that Lotus has been the most over-achieving team.

#3889 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,011 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 13:55

So Shiroo...

Im aware that it is both, but people (few of them) dont give any credit to car. When kimis take a podium it is always his god like performance, when he isnt its car fault.

I`m not ferrari Guy cause of Alonso constant QQ about how inferior his car is, while we all know that f2012 was quite good after half of the season and now he Has best car on par with rbr and lotus hoprfully.

So im just asking about some credit for The team that even with smaller.budget can produce such a good car. And.please dont do Alonso, and talk bad about a car, eventho it isnt true
Kimi drove Great, but it is also his great car that gave him that amount of pts .

And how a car that even when starting in 4=6 row nad still allow a win and podium, isnt a top car.

Edited by Shiroo, 07 May 2013 - 13:56.

#3890 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,698 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 14:02

Well-said. Some Kimi fans are embarrassingly all-Kimi Kimi-miracles blah blah. The fact of the matter is he has a car that allows him to do what he does. As much as Kimi being excellence-personified, the team is excellence-personified since they are punching way above their weight and have been doing so consistently for the four years. I have continued to say since the start of the last year that Lotus has been the most over-achieving team.

Not quite. Their performance is actually on par with what their budget would predict (relative to other teams), with some standard deviation thrown in. They clearly underperformed in 2011 (higher budget than Merc, but ended up behind them in WCC), and have over performed in 2012. But their average performance is nothing spectacularly above what their budget would predict.

Edit: they're very likely over performing again in 2013 (we would have to look at their budget this year to be certain), but let's see if they can keep it up. Williams won a race last year too, let's not forget.

Edited by boldhakka, 07 May 2013 - 14:06.

#3891 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 14:06

Yeah artista, but consider the post and the general context under which Shiroo replied. 2ms said something like Raikkonen working magic with the car and that the car is not comparable to Ferrari. Right now, if I am right Ferrari is behind Lotus in both WDC and WCC points. They may have more consistent pace, but if their DRS fails and the team makes mistakes, Lotus is better than them by merit.

#3892 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,109 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 14:19

Yes, but Lotus must work to get on par with their overall pace. Bizarre failures won´t keep happening. Ferrari car is reference in overall pace right now, and if pecking order doesn´t change (it will, and a lot of times) they´ll take it all.

#3893 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 14:52

Yeah artista, but consider the post and the general context under which Shiroo replied. 2ms said something like Raikkonen working magic with the car and that the car is not comparable to Ferrari. Right now, if I am right Ferrari is behind Lotus in both WDC and WCC points. They may have more consistent pace, but if their DRS fails and the team makes mistakes, Lotus is better than them by merit.

Ferrari has showed better pace then Lotus, they are behind because of failures, it has only been 4 races, they will start to get it right eventually. Lotus just isn't the best car. But the car is good and the team does a great job, I dont think anyone would deny that. If you just look at the favorites poll you can see how much respect Lotus has gained.

But Kimi also has something to do with this, right now more then ever properly in the last ten years or so the drivers are making a difference. Last year the top people in the WDC where the ones who are considered to be the best drivers. This season again we have 5 different cars on top of the table. It is not like previous seasons where you would see two Ferrari's or two Mclaren's ext. on top. Unlike the other top teams (or Kimi's direct competitors like Vettel and Alonso) Kimi also has to deal with generally slower pitstops, and a likelihood (like last year) that the team would lose performance along the way. All of the other top drivers already have teams, so if Kimi wasn't there would Lotus still really be doing as well as they are doing?
It is a combined combo, Lotus is doing well and their reliability has been excellent, but if Kimi wasn't there then it might not have been as good. And as Artista pointed out, if something like qualifying doesn't go that well, then the blame are often placed squarely on Kimi shoulders, so perhaps some of his good performances can also earn him a bit of praise from time to time. At the end of the day Lotus and Kimi seems to be a pretty good combo.

#3894 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 15:00

Last year's salaries (apparently):

8 - Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus): 3 million
10 - Romain Grosjean (Lotus): 1 million
http://www.sportyou....-f1-457155.html

#3895 Opaque

Opaque

• 44 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 15:08

I thought Raikkonen's performance bonuses nearly bankrupted the team? 3 million, hah. He's not worth much after all.

#3896 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 15:30

I thought Raikkonen's performance bonuses nearly bankrupted the team? 3 million, hah. He's not worth much after all.

I think that is the base salary without the performance bonuses.

#3897 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 16:04

Ferrari has showed better pace then Lotus, they are behind because of failures, it has only been 4 races, they will start to get it right eventually. Lotus just isn't the best car. But the car is good and the team does a great job, I dont think anyone would deny that. If you just look at the favorites poll you can see how much respect Lotus has gained.

But Kimi also has something to do with this, right now more then ever properly in the last ten years or so the drivers are making a difference. Last year the top people in the WDC where the ones who are considered to be the best drivers. This season again we have 5 different cars on top of the table. It is not like previous seasons where you would see two Ferrari's or two Mclaren's ext. on top. Unlike the other top teams (or Kimi's direct competitors like Vettel and Alonso) Kimi also has to deal with generally slower pitstops, and a likelihood (like last year) that the team would lose performance along the way. All of the other top drivers already have teams, so if Kimi wasn't there would Lotus still really be doing as well as they are doing?
It is a combined combo, Lotus is doing well and their reliability has been excellent, but if Kimi wasn't there then it might not have been as good. And as Artista pointed out, if something like qualifying doesn't go that well, then the blame are often placed squarely on Kimi shoulders, so perhaps some of his good performances can also earn him a bit of praise from time to time. At the end of the day Lotus and Kimi seems to be a pretty good combo.

It is one school of thought that reliability problems can be fixed. But, mistakes there is no guarantee. Ferrari may have had an impeccable year in terms of mistakes last year. But 2010, 2008, etc. were mistakes galore. The point is this is what 2ms said

Ferrari is a stunner at everything and really don't see the E21 having a great chance of being able to compete with it.

That is absolute non-sense and I am saying Lotus is not that.

A top team needs a top driver. A top driver needs a top team. One is not less important than the other. Lotus is to credited as much as Kimi for the performance. Some Kimi fans say it's all Kimi magic and when pointed out some say how Kimi has been singled out for bad performance. Come on, this is silly. There is no point in that sort of discussion.

#3898 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 16:59

Where have you seen people saying "it's all Kimi magic"? I haven't seen a lot of disagreement on the quality of the E21. My perception is that pretty much everyone agrees that the E21 is a great car. If you can point to people saying it's a poor car or whatever then let me know, but I sorta get the idea some of this stuff might be in your head. In F1, there's almost always a car or two that's faster than the rest. Right now that car doesn't appear to be the E21. But it is still one of the best. I feel like there is more agreement on this than there is on most cars, in fact.

Edited by 2ms, 07 May 2013 - 17:00.

#3899 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 17:32

Where have you seen people saying "it's all Kimi magic"? I haven't seen a lot of disagreement on the quality of the E21. My perception is that pretty much everyone agrees that the E21 is a great car. If you can point to people saying it's a poor car or whatever then let me know, but I sorta get the idea some of this stuff might be in your head. In F1, there's almost always a car or two that's faster than the rest. Right now that car doesn't appear to be the E21. But it is still one of the best. I feel like there is more agreement on this than there is on most cars, in fact.

Yeah? Did someone say the following or is it just in someone else's head?

Ferrari is a stunner at everything and really don't see the E21 having a great chance of being able to compete with it.

Lotus does not have a nice chance of even competing with Ferrari, and Ferrari is A STUNNER AT EVERYTHING? :stoned:

Advertisement

#3900 mey3059

mey3059

• 322 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 17:38

is it the lotus or is it the ferrari that has consistent top performance every track so far in all conditions?

( its not far fetched to call ferrari a stunner )