Photo
- - - - -

Britcar 24hrs (topgear question/james may)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DarioAndretti

DarioAndretti

• 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:14

Hi I remembered watching Top Gear episode where Jeremy, Richard, James and Stig were competeing in Britcar 24hrs at silverstone in some diesel powered BMW

I remember that Jeremy and Richard had british flag next to their name. But James May had some different flag -I do not know what country it represents I think it had yellow and red amog other colours. Do you perhaps know if James May has some other racing licences that he raced under?

Advertisement

#2 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 400 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:20

It was a flag of a rainbow, the symbol of the LGBT movement. They were implying James was gay I think :p.

I don't think they have other racing licenses.

#3 DarioAndretti

DarioAndretti

• 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:34

It was a flag of a rainbow, the symbol of the LGBT movement. They were implying James was gay I think :p.

I don't think they have other racing licenses.

OMG!!! thats hilarious

I remember their fictional sposnosr though - when the doors were opened they had totally different meaning. I remember the writing on the side of the car saying something like "penistone cookies" or something like that so when the door was opened you could see only until "s"

Were they officially entered in that race?

And how could they even enter Stig -just under Stig moniker. I mean is it even legal to race anonimously?

#4 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,267 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:38

It is legal to race anonymously, but The Stig signed on as Ben Collins

#5 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,151 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:41

Yes, they were entered properly, and the Stig was entered under his real name. In fact, it wasn't the regular Stig (Ben Collins), but long-time BTCC support series competitor Stefan Hodgetts.

Source: a friend who was a mechanic for another team that took part in the race.

(I haven't read Collins's autobiography, so I don't know if this is covered in that, but Hodgetts is what I was told.)

Edited by midgrid, 24 January 2013 - 18:43.

#6 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:42

It is legal to race anonymously, but The Stig signed on as Ben Collins

Really? Kinda surprised it didn't come out sooner then, it must of been a good 2 or 3 years after that when he came out, no pun intended!

#7 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 1,201 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:57

Really? Kinda surprised it didn't come out sooner then, it must of been a good 2 or 3 years after that when he came out, no pun intended!

Collins was in the incident report for Hammond's crash, so I think most people were fairly certain who the Stig was long before it was revealed.