* * * * * 2 votes

Bottas vs Maldonado - 2013

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 00:39

I think that these two videos are enough to get the inner- Williams team battle thread underway, no?

Sir Frank Williams Speaks about the 2013 Driver Line-up
Pastor Maldonado and Valtteri Bottas get to know each other ahead of the 2013 F1 season

Pastor Maldonado

Born in Maracay, Venezuela on March 9, 1985.

1993: Begins his racing career in karting at the age of 7 winning several national championships.

2002: Winner of the winter championship for rookie drivers, Italian Formula Renault 2000.

2003: Winner of the winter championship, Italian Formula Renault 2000.

2004: Italian Formula Renault 2000 Champion(same championship won by Felipe Massa in 2000).

2006: Could have won the World Series by Renault(WSbR) championship with Draco Racing Team, but because of a controversial technical infringement lost his win and fastest lap at the Misano race(16 pts).Finished 3, 9 points behind the champion Alx Danielsson.

2007: Debuts in GP2 with team Trident Racing winning Monaco feature race(first driver to win back to back WSbR and GP2 races at Monaco). Was 5 in the standings when suffered an injury during his regular training program, breaking one of his collarbones when falling from his bicycle. Missed all the races from Turkey onwards.

2008: His first full season in GP2, this time with team Piquet Sports. Finished 5 in the standings with 60 points but only 4 points behind runner up Bruno Senna.

2010: GP2 Champion with team Rapax, setting a new record of six consecutive feature race wins(Turkey, Valencia, Silverstone, Hockenheim, Hungary and Spa-Francorchamps).

2011: Debut in Formula 1 with Williams F1. Highlight being running in sixth place before a collision with Lewis Hamilton.

2012: Second season with Williams. First Grand Prix victory in Spain, and first for Williams since Juan Pablo Montoya at Brazil 2004.

Favorite tracks: Monza, Spa-Francorchamps and Monaco.

Valtteri Bottas

Date of birth: August 28, 1989 (23 y/o)
Place of birth: Nastola

Races entered: 114
Wins: 31
Podiums: 58
Pole positions: 27
Fastest laps: 30
Race win percentage: 27.19%

1996: Begins karting at the age of 6 in Finland.

2004: Finnish Championship ICA Junior.

2005: Viking Trophy - ICA Winner.

2006: Winner of Finnish Championship Formula A with Kohtala Sports.

2008: Formula Renault 2.0 Eurocup Champion with Motopark Academy and on 139 points.. 14 races. 5 wins. 7 pole positions. 10 podiums. 4 fastest laps.

2010: Formula 3 Euro Series. 3rd in the series overall with ART Grand Prix. 74 points. 18 races. 2 wins. 1 pole position. 8 podiums. 4 fastest laps.

2011: GP3 Series with Lotus ART. Series Champion with 62 points. 16 races. 4 wins. 1 pole position. 7 podiums. 3 fastest laps.

2012: Reserve driver for Williams. 15 free practice sessions. Took over Bruno Senna's seat at the end of the year.

Advertisement

#2 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:32

I have to say, I am especially excited about this drivers' line-up. :clap:

Which is quite a twist from last season, where I thought Williams had hit a new low with a Maldonado-Senna duel. Anyhow, with Senna thankfully sacked for the much more promising Bottas, and Maldonado turning out to be a much, much better driver than most people gave him credit for at the beginning of 2012, this years Williams combo is one to watch out for me. :up:

On who will come out on top, this is much more difficult to answer. I'm guessing Maldonado will be the quicker driver to start with, but from what I've seen in junior racing categories, Bottas is particularly adaptive and doesn't take long to get up to speed when entering a new series. However, by March he will have done 18 months without any racing, his racecraft will be rusty.

For my prediction, I envision Pastor being faster in the first half of the season, but Valtteri having caught up in the second half. Most likely case scenario, they will be neck in neck by the end of the 2013. :smoking:

#3 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:06

Maldonado seems very quick, somehow.

Bottas won't overhaul him this year, but Pastor is pretty quick as drivers go. I think Pastor would be like JPM, fast in a top car but never consistent enough for a WDC.

Bottas will end up being more consistent though.

#4 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:39

start of the season is always tough.
let's see how they handle a few races together.
I think maldonado will be quicker in quali but once again suffer bad luck or brain fade in the races.
how many more points should williams have had if maldonado could have stayed out of trouble?
100? more? bottas will be much closer than senna was, hopefully he will be able to get the luck and consistency that maldonado lacks.

all this depends on williams continuing to build quick cars. who know how the tyres will match up to their chassis and if the better funded teams have found ways to pull away at the front again leaving the midfield teams far behind.

#5 Busted

Busted

• 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:18

I think it was said in Autosport article that people from the team rate Bottas as fundamentally the quickest of 2012 drivers, so I expect nothing else than clear Bottas victory over Maldonado. You can argue his racecraft could be rusty after sitting out one season, but look at what Maldonado, without any break from racing, did in last 2 years, including crashing into other competitors on purpose twice.

That also will be fascinating thing to watch - how Maldonado will react if Bottas is indeed fundamentally the quickest? One thing is to look good alongside average Senna and be team's saviour by winning first race for them since 2004, but the other thing is to have faster than you teammate, who is just a rookie. Will it be clean fight or will Maldonado try something off the track, because he has quite huge bargaining card and that's always very important in powers struggle.

If Bottas is indeed that quick, I'm sure there are only 2 options: it will either bring the best or the worst from Maldonado.

Edited by Busted, 26 January 2013 - 08:20.

#6 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:23

I think it was said in Autosport article that people from the team rate Bottas as fundamentally the quickest of 2012 drivers, so I expect nothing else than clear Bottas victory over Maldonado.

I'd love to see that article and I do question it's credibility. Fundamentally quicker than Maldonado? I find that hard to believe.

EDIT: I've found its source.
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104630

Interesting. Maldonado will have to up his game even further for next season if Bottas is really that good. He made significant strides from 2011 to 2012, let's see how much he can improve from here.

Edited by Kingshark, 26 January 2013 - 08:28.

#7 Busted

Busted

• 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:31

Of course it can be exaggerated if these 'some people within the team' were Toto Wolff and his wife Susie Wolff. :lol:

#8 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:58

Of course it can be exaggerated if these 'some people within the team' were Toto Wolff and his wife Susie Wolff. :lol:

Or Bottas himself :lol:

Edited by beancounter, 26 January 2013 - 08:59.

#9 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:12

I think that IMO Maldonado's highlight of 2012, in terms of impressiveness, was not his Spain victory, but rather his Singapore qualifying lap. It becomes all the more impressive when you take the Williams' downforce deficiency against Mclaren into account.

Posted Image

Exact same corner, apex of the penultimate corner, requires a lot of car stability. Hamilton was 15 KP/H faster through there. Pastor was lucky that apart from the double-apex finale and Singapore S opening section, there aren't any fast corners around the track.

Likewise, Singapore, like Monaco, is often seen as a circuit where the driver can make a difference. That's a positive sign.

That being said. From what I saw in GP3, Bottas impressed me a lot. Very fast over one lap. Great race pace and racecraft. Lastly, calculating, clean and efficient at wheel to wheel combat..

Here's a nice tribute video dedicated to him.
Valtteri Bottas GP3 Tribute Video

Edited by Kingshark, 26 January 2013 - 09:16.

#10 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:41

This is going to be a tasty battle, both impress me a lot.

#11 Iranie

Iranie

• 142 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:37

Bottas showed in GP3 that he has the speed, consistency and also the ability to overcome obstacles. He was the dominating force in GP3 when he got the car to fit his liking. He was faster than Maldonado on six occasions from the 15 practice sessions he took part on (which is quite irrelevant) and he has now practically one-year experience from F1 even though he hasn't raced once. Williams has made sure that everything is perfectly fine and ready for him to start rock'n rolling.

Maldonado is mighty fast and if he somehow manages to reduce the amount of brainfarts on track he surely has the guts to become a champion one day.
Williams has a great driver-duo now and if the car is good the results will come. Great pairing to follow anyway.

I don't see that Valtteri could match Pastor right from the get-go but I'm expecting that at the end of the season these two will be quite close on the points table.

Edited by Iranie, 26 January 2013 - 11:38.

#12 ASenna94

ASenna94

• 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:58

i wont forget maldonado last lap in FP3 in USA. it is one of those laps

#13 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 13:08

I am far from a Maldonado fan, but over a single lap he is fast and he absolutely must beat Bottas over this season, he ca not allow his reputation that a rookie driver comes in and beat him. We have seen how the drivers on sabbaticals do have 'rust' when they start racing again, so a driver who have never been in the show can not be better that Maldonado.

The season Maldonado will have, depend on his own ability to avoid the red mist situation he have had the first two seasons. It is possible that Bottas is the second coming of 'pick greatest F1 legend of choice', but I have seen way to many of those to believe the hype before I see the results.

:cool:

#14 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,314 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 13:09

Agreed, Maldonado has impressed me a lot last season. He was just another paydriver in 2011, but even then gave Barrichello some run for his money. You could say 2012 was his breakthrough season. I think we can compare Maldonado to Montoya. Great and very quick on his day, but also some silly errors every now and then. I'm expecting Bottas to be rookie of the year. He's being touted as the new Hakkinen or Raikkonen, I certainly hope so.

I can only hope Williams come up with another fast car, so we can see these two impress.

#15 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:43

I think that these two videos are enough to get the inner- Williams team battle thread underway, no?

Sir Frank Williams Speaks about the 2013 Driver Line-up
Pastor Maldonado and Valtteri Bottas get to know each other ahead of the 2013 F1 season

Fun videos and nice to see the lighter side of Maldonado for once.

I have to say, I am especially excited about this drivers' line-up. :clap:

Me too, maybe the fastest driver of F1 against one of the highest rated rookies of recent times. Really hope Williams have made another good car so they can mingle with the top teams. :up:

#16 Harry

Harry

• 182 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:56

Maldonado's P2 qualifying lap in Singapore was just exceptional, I've been a fan of his ever since he reached P7 (I think?) in the race at Monaco in 2011 (before he got taken out by Lewis).

Edited by Harry, 27 January 2013 - 07:57.

#17 Kobasmashi

Kobasmashi

• 734 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:57

If the team are right about Bottas this should be very tasty given Pastor's raw pace and capacity for brain farts, I wonder if Bottas will unsettle Maldonado into some more madness? A pairing like this definitely makes for exciting times for Williams though :up:

#18 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,536 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:12

Maldonado seems very quick, somehow.

Bottas won't overhaul him this year, but Pastor is pretty quick as drivers go. I think Pastor would be like JPM, fast in a top car but never consistent enough for a WDC.
Bottas will end up being more consistent though.

JPM is such a better driver than Pastor, that's quite a way of saying that. JPM had the 2003 Championship won if he hadn't crashed in US GP....

#19 Santuri9

Santuri9

• 44 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:48

I'm really looking forward to watching Bottas race.
He's a highly touted rookie who has been compared to Kimi in his "feel" for the road. I'm expecting good things from Williams next year, They have a strong line up with Maldonado's pace.
I think that Bottas will consistently outperform Maldonado by hsi racecraft. Even though Maldonado has improved his red mist and driven well recently I believe he will be involved in more incidents than Bottas and subsequently will be left with fewer points.

Reminds me of the JPM - RƤikkƶnen duo at Mclaren, pairing a fiesty South American with a cool and cold Finn.

Advertisement

#20 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:31

JPM is such a better driver than Pastor, that's quite a way of saying that. JPM had the 2003 Championship won if he hadn't crashed in US GP....

Nope and no. I think Maldonado will be a better driver than JPM was. He is goddamn quick but needs to get his head right.

As for JPM, Ralfie could win often in those BMW-Williams cars. Ralf then went on to do nothing at Toyota. JPM was flattered by the best engines between 2001 and 2003.

#21 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:45

sorry, I really enjoyed JPM but I think he was a little bit overrated. MAL is surely not weaker than JPM.

#22 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,178 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:32

As erratic as JPM ever was, he never wasted anywhere near as many points as Maldonado did last season.

It's also easy to remember Ralf's status as a failed joke by the end of his career, but he was genuinely a top 5 driver when JPM arrived at Williams and matched him. Ralf had just absolutely battered Zanardi then beat rookie Button quite clearly as well. Pastor has not had a team-mate like that in F1 yet.

Juan Pablo won multiple GPs not one, and fought for championships. Pastor may show glimpses of that same exciting speed, but he's got a lot to prove yet to reach JPM status in Formula 1.

Back to on-topic I think Bottas will not always match Pastor's speed but should be able to outscore him because Pastor is SO erratic. On what I've seen so far (not much, I'd like to actually watch him race a F1 GP before making definitive conclusions, of course), I'm slightly doubtful Bottas is a potential world champion but he is genuinely promising.

#23 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:14

I have not seen Bottas driving or compete and he comes with light junior formula history so it's difficult to guess how quick driver he is, but at least he is very fit for a driver. Propably fastest runner of the F1 drivers, and looks physically strong too.

#24 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:18

Indeed, looks set to be yet another 'fast hothead vs solid scorer' pairing. But somehow I have a feeling Maldonado could mature to become a top campaigner as he seems to not be ALL about showing off on the day, but let's see.

#25 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,178 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:30

Well, Pastor eventually matured enough in GP2 to be able to dominate the championship so it's not impossible. I suspect however that was because he could use his speed to drive into the distance under no pressure, whereas in F1 that'll be a bit harder...

#26 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:32

About JPM vs PM (oh lookey, those characters are almost the same :) ):

I think they are both quite the drivers, but breaking it down into points:
- JPM and PM are both very fast over a lap.
- JPM isn't as erratic as PM on the track, concerning some revengeful stuff from PM and dismal driving from him in direct combat over the course of the last seasons.
- PM has a better, less sluggish mindset than JPM. Although that could be influenced by the atmosphere within McLaren (not exactly the best working environment for JPM) I think he's more sensitive to changes in the atmosphere and cares less. PM just doesn't care and keeps going. That's my impression.

#27 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 19:08

5-2 for Bottas in quali.
Races are at the moment 4-2 for Bottas.

#28 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,345 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 19:33

Impressive. I could expect Bottas to become more complete package than Pastor at some point of the season. But to have an edge in raw pace from the beginning is something I didn't expect, even considering the fact I've always rated Valtteri very highly.

#29 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,920 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:35

That penalty yesterday for Maldonado was ludicrous IMO.

#30 encircled

encircled

• 901 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 13:09

Xevi Pujolar on Maldonado and Bottas

"You could say that they're both quite aggressive," Pujolar said. "Pastor is a bit more specific and Valtteri I would say maybe is able to adapt himself more towards what is happening at each moment, but they are both quite aggressive.

"At the same time then in the race both can be quite similar looking after the tyres, it's just that Pastor has got some requirements that would sometimes give him an advantage in qualifying it's just that he needs to feel it."

"All the problems we had with the car we were struggling more with him than with Valtteri, but now with all the improvements we are doing with the car is just to go in one direction and both drivers asked to go in the same direction with the car."

#31 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 14:08

5-2 for Bottas in quali.

Races are at the moment 4-2 for Bottas.

Now 5 -2 in races as well as qualy for Bottas.

Plus . . . 100% finishing rate for Bottas.

Only 4 finishes in 7 races for Maldonado.

Hmmmm . . . no contest is there.

#32 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 15:04

How many points does Bottas have?

#33 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 15:27

How many points does Bottas have?

Very nearly one point.

#34 Music Lover

Music Lover

• 1,120 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 16:00

Very nearly one point.

Null then.

Regardless, he already made quite an impression in that bad car with 5-2 on MAL, well done!
NOT EXPECTED!!

#35 LaoTze

LaoTze

• 133 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 17:30

I was shocked over how bad their car is this year compared to the car last year... Talk about taking a leap, in the wrong direction.

But I think Bottas will prevail over Maldonado, seems much more composed and less error prone.

#36 Sexton

Sexton

• 76 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 18:51

Bottas is quite calm, cool and collected compared to Maldonado.

#37 LaoTze

LaoTze

• 133 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:32

Bottas POV

#38 Konsta

Konsta

• 2,869 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:02

It seems that Valtteri has gotten under PastorĀ“s skin. Why else would he have to raise himself like that?

"...At the Canadian Grand Prix, for example, race conditions benefitted Valtteri. That does not mean that he is faster and I'm slower. Our car is quite complicated, but I do not need to prove anything to anyone. The team relies too much on me. In fact, I am responsible for all the technical testing of the car to have more knowledge and experience with the team - assesses Maldonado."

http://globoesporte....da-ninguem.html

#39 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,314 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:02

I still think Maldonado has more raw pace than Bottas though. I mean, just look at his amazing qualifying laps in Spain, Singapore and Abu Dhabi last year. Just for that I would like to see him in a Lotus next year.

Advertisement

#40 SonJR

SonJR

• 441 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:06

It seems that Valtteri has gotten under PastorĀ“s skin. Why else would he have to raise himself like that?

"...At the Canadian Grand Prix, for example, race conditions benefitted Valtteri. That does not mean that he is faster and I'm slower. Our car is quite complicated, but I do not need to prove anything to anyone. The team relies too much on me. In fact, I am responsible for all the technical testing of the car to have more knowledge and experience with the team - assesses Maldonado."

http://globoesporte....da-ninguem.html

Well, he does like to 'raise himself' in general, even when not comparing himself to a teammate :| But yeah, seems like Valtteri's getting to him ;)

#41 Aateli

Aateli

• 23 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:57

I still think Maldonado has more raw pace than Bottas though. I mean, just look at his amazing qualifying laps in Spain, Singapore and Abu Dhabi last year. Just for that I would like to see him in a Lotus next year.

How can you say that? A rookie team mate who has beaten Maldonado this year by some margin. And who knows how much raw pace Bottas has when he has a chance to shine like Maldonado did last year? Oh wait that Canada qualifying was a result of Bottas getting super-lucky --- or not.

And to be fair I can't imagine a worse pick than Maldonado to be pairing with Grosjean. A team needs atleast one solid and reliable driver like Kimi or Bottas in their teams atm.

Edited by Aateli, 20 June 2013 - 17:01.

#42 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 22:13

How can you say that? A rookie team mate who has beaten Maldonado this year by some margin. And who knows how much raw pace Bottas has when he has a chance to shine like Maldonado did last year? Oh wait that Canada qualifying was a result of Bottas getting super-lucky --- or not.

And to be fair I can't imagine a worse pick than Maldonado to be pairing with Grosjean. A team needs atleast one solid and reliable driver like Kimi or Bottas in their teams atm.

:up:

Bottas has truly been impressive in beating Maldonado with such a margin, especially during the Qualifyings.

#43 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,563 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:19

What last years results got to do with raw pace comparison?

#44 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,314 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:36

What last years results got to do with raw pace comparison?

Everything. It shows Maldonado has the speed if he has a good car. That's my point why I would like to see him in a Lotus next year.

#45 LaoTze

LaoTze

• 133 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:38

Everything. It shows Maldonado has the speed if he has a good car. That's my point why I would like to see him in a Lotus next year.

Yea but you don't know what kind of pace Bottas would have in a good car either..

It's not really Bottas fault that this years car is crap, thats a pretty unfair comparison in my opinion.

#46 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,345 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 19:04

The only fair comparison is this year and so far Bottas is proving to be at least a match for Maldonado in terms of raw pace, if not better.

Even last year there were reports that many in Williams believed that he was fundamentally the quickest of all their drivers.

#47 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,384 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 13:46

Maldonado says Williams FW35 suits Bottas' driving style better

Quotes:

"Maldonado puts this down to his more aggressive technique being incompatible with the Williams"
""We have different driving styles, he drives very gently and is very smooth with the car - this is not my way," said Maldonado.

"My way is to put energy into the car and that is how I was very quick last year. The car is very easy to drive if you go slow, if you don't put energy in the car," he said.

:rotfl: :drunk: and apparently quicker too.... Just a thought... Don't fight the car and adapt?

#48 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 415 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 16:48

Maldonado says Williams FW35 suits Bottas' driving style better

Quotes:

"Maldonado puts this down to his more aggressive technique being incompatible with the Williams"
""We have different driving styles, he drives very gently and is very smooth with the car - this is not my way," said Maldonado.

"My way is to put energy into the car and that is how I was very quick last year. The car is very easy to drive if you go slow, if you don't put energy in the car," he said.

:rotfl: :drunk: and apparently quicker too.... Just a thought... Don't fight the car and adapt?

My thoughts exactly.

I do understand where he's coming from but we all know the great drivers do what they need to do to be quick.

#49 hogstar

hogstar

• 550 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 19:15

It reminds of F1 in the 1970's where some drivers drove in a very oversteer style where it was counter productive. I remember reading about Tom Pryce and he was told to drive the car in a different, more gentle way. He said it felt slower, but was 2 secs a lap faster...

I'm sure there is some truth that the FW35 doesn't appeal to Pastor's more aggressive style of driving - this reminds me of Prost against Rosberg in the Mclaren in '86, except that car was successful - but if the car doesn't need to be wrung by its neck then Pastor should adapt his driving accordingly, but one cannot imagine him driving a car in any other way.

#50 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 19:19

I couldn't help but chuckle when i read that article.

Poor old Pastor. "He's quicker because he's slower". Bless.