Photo

Goodwood 1954 - Bailey Special

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SamWhittaker

SamWhittaker

• 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:08

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have owned a 1950's sports special for about 10 years and am now tracing its past in the hands of a gentleman called Peter Bailey. It was raced and sprinted at a number of venues such as Brighton Speed Trials, Brunton, Davidstow and Goodwood in 1954 with some success.

Peter Bailey is still alive and well and has great stories about the early 1950's but doesn't have pictures or information from the period.

I understand it was reasonably quick in its day.

I am trying to find any period photos of the car and note that there is one in Autosport in April 1954 of the grid in the 1500cc class at the BARC Easter meeting on 27 March.

Does anyone out there have original photos that I may be able to purchase or copy? Or the ability to access the Autosport archive, there may even be a shot of the vehicle cornering hard at Brands Hatch but it is too small to make out in the Old Autosports I have been able to acquire

If anyone has any more information on this lovely little car I would really appreciate it.

It is on the road and going well with its original body a little battered over the years! I aim to keep it that way and just keep the engineering up to scratch!

Very best regards and thank you for any help you can afford me.

Sam Whittaker
Nash, Bucks

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:26

I don't know if there's anything in these listings you haven't already got:

http://www.racingspo...ive/Bailey.html

#3 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 583 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:46

Guy Griffiths attended many meetings up to 1956. He photographed every competitor at each event and covered most of the venues you listed. The Guy Griffiths Collection is still available with prints available for sale. Details available online

Ted Walker at Ferret Fotographic also has an extensive collection and may well be able to look through his Specials trays to see if he can come up with images.

I have no link to the Guy Griffiths Collection or Ferret Fotographic beyond being a very happy user. Other collections are available

#4 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:57

The car took part in the up-to-1500cc sports car race at Davidstow on 7 June 1954, and came 3rd in its heat. There is a photo of the start in Peter Tutthill's interesting Davidstow history, on page 55, although the quality is poor because of the camera technology of the time, and Davidstow's infamous climate.

Nontheless, the car started on the front row, so there is a reasonably clear view of it. Unfortunately, I do not have scanning facilities, so I can't help any further - maybe another TNF member can oblige?

#5 SamWhittaker

SamWhittaker

• 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:47

The car took part in the up-to-1500cc sports car race at Davidstow on 7 June 1954, and came 3rd in its heat. There is a photo of the start in Peter Tutthill's interesting Davidstow history, on page 55, although the quality is poor because of the camera technology of the time, and Davidstow's infamous climate.

Nontheless, the car started on the front row, so there is a reasonably clear view of it. Unfortunately, I do not have scanning facilities, so I can't help any further - maybe another TNF member can oblige?

Thank you very much for your help. I have that book. I bumped into Mr Tuthill a few years ago which was enlightening! All the best sam

#6 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,582 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:51

Can you post a photo of the car as it is now? Might help in isolating photos.

:wave:

#7 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:53

I assume you have contacted LAT / Haymarket who hold the Autosport archive? Thy may have others taken at the same event as the photos used in the publications listed, and are pretty helpfull if you can give them details of theevents you know it entered - it may well have been photographed, but not made it into a puplication

#8 SamWhittaker

SamWhittaker

• 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:08

Can you post a photo of the car as it is now? Might help in isolating photos.

:wave:

I would if I knew how! Can you help as I do have some recent photos? Thanks for your help, Sam

#9 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:13

Sam, to get them onto the forum you need to upload the photos to a website, either your own (if you have one) or one of the image-hosting sites such as Imageshack. Check out the 'How to post images' sticky thread towards the top of the threads list.

#10 SamWhittaker

SamWhittaker

• 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 16:41

Sam, to get them onto the forum you need to upload the photos to a website, either your own (if you have one) or one of the image-hosting sites such as Imageshack. Check out the 'How to post images' sticky thread towards the top of the threads list.

Thanks a lot, I'll experiment with a bailey special website! Thanks a lot for your advice.

Sam

#11 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 14:26

I was at that 1954 Goodwood meeting and seem to remember that Peter Bailey's entry was a Tojiero-MG. Could be memory fade though!.

#12 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:41

I assume you have contacted LAT / Haymarket who hold the Autosport archive? Thy may have others taken at the same event as the photos used in the publications listed, and are pretty helpfull if you can give them details of theevents you know it entered - it may well have been photographed, but not made it into a puplication

Beaulieu also have a good photo library, they had photos of my last Elva Mark 1 at Goodwood.

#13 SamWhittaker

SamWhittaker

• 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:13

Thanks a lot, I'll experiment with a bailey special website! Thanks a lot for your advice.

Sam

I think that was James fiander. Seems Mr Bailey and Mr Fiander often came up against each other.
All the best sam

#14 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,058 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:20

EIGHTH BRUNTON HILL CLIMB, Sunday 5th September, 1954

Fastest time of the day- M. Wick (Allard) 24.75 sec (Record)
Ladies' Award-
Mrs. S.L. Park (Frazer-Nash) 29.68 sec
Closed Cars:
Up to 950 c.c.- Mrs. D. Cawsey (Renault), 39.11 sec
951-1300 c.c.- P.W. Kinggett (Ford), 37.61 sec
1301-1800 c.c.- R. Neate (Riley), 40.33
sec
1801-3000 c.c.- R. Cooper (Riley), 33.26 sec
Over 3000 c.c.- J.A. Shutler (Invicta), 30.41 sec
Open Cars:
Up to 750 c.c. u/s.- R.M. Smith (M.G.), 32.45 sec
751-1100 c.c. u/s. and 750 c.c. s/c.- C. Le S. Metcalfe (Fiat), 31.10 sec
1101-1500 c.c. u/s and 751-1100 c.c. s/c.- P.S. Bailey (Bailey Special), 26.21 sec
1501-2000 c.c. u/s and 1101-1500 c.c. s/c.- R. Truscott
(Frazer-Nash) 28.50 sec
2001-3000 c.c. u/s and 1501-2000 c.c. s/c- P.A. Everard (Aston Martin), 25.16 sec
Over 3000 c.c. u/s and over 2001 c.c. s/c- P.L. Farquharson (Allard), 26.16 sec

Do you have any documents ref Brunton? Can you describe the car? Motor? Any connection to Buckler?

RGDS RLT

#15 SamWhittaker

SamWhittaker

• 6 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:54

Hi Rupert

Thanks so much for your post and apologies for my tardy reply. I knew the car was quick at Brunton but never had this level of detail so more holes filled!

It seems it was a one off car built for or by Peter Bailey. He had some success and then went sailing. I have spoken with him and we were in touch yearly but sadly we have lost touch during the past year as his telephone number has become unobtainable. I would love to know if he is still ok as he certainly was during our last conversation but was 85.

The car had a Riley 1500 engine in those days and was built using vauxhall axles and suspension. The engine expired in the late 50's and someone then installed a Triumph TR3 engine and box which makes it perform really well.

My biggest issue is the rarity of the axle components and acquiring parts but the people I meet are incredibly helpful. Currently trying to get suspension for the front end.
As soon as I figure it out I will post photos.

Regards

Sam