* * * * - 3 votes

Darren Heath on Mercedes

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,510 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:20

Thought I'd bring your attention to some of the comments DH has been making on Twitter in regards to Lauda, Mercedes and Brawn!!!

Gives us perhaps some insight as to what's going down at Mercedes - fair to say that he perhaps doesn't have the highest opinion of LH and Lauda!! It does however give us more indication that there is a power struggle going on at Mercedes and Lauda is the most likely instigator of it all! Doesn't really bode well for the new season...

https://twitter.com/F1Photographer

On Hamilton:

"Darren Heath ‏@F1Photographer
Latest #F1 rumour: #Hamilton to have his own Capital Radio (London) show. Unlikely but nothing would shock!

Darren Heath ‏@F1Photographer
@JCTK8888 I don't think Lewis signed because of Haug! Brawn,money,commercial partnerships,19Mgnt,need for change, all influenced decision."

On Haug:

@JCTK8888 Haug I'm sure is a nice guy but respect for him in the #f1 paddock is low"

On Lowe going to Mercedes:

"Frenkoz ‏@Frenkoz
@F1Photographer Is Paddy Lowe going to go to Mercedes?

@Frenkoz I sincerely hope not. @paddylowe is a really top guy."

On Lauda:

Hearing stories of Lauda 'man management' @ #F1 #mercedes. If only 10% are true there's trouble ahead. #Ipredictariot

@mikeyharvey It is. What is often forgotten is how appalling Lauda was at #ferrari management [before Jaguar] too. He has previous!

@thejudge13 @mikeyharvey Agreed no surprise. The mind boggles that #mercedes #F1 employed a guy with such an awful record."

Another user said to Darren:

"Dave Lowery ‏@daverlowery
@DickieMeaden @f1photographer There were quick to backtrack on Lauda's comments about Lewis from last season. Lauda loves controversy"

His response:

@daverlowery @DickieMeaden It's just his 'oh so charming' Austrian way..."

(James Allen also hinted at some friction between Brawn and Lauda in a reply on his blog:

"Posted By: Oliver
Date: January 24th, 2013 @ 5:52 pm
What do you make of the comments by Ted Kravitz that Lauda is not acting like a ‘non executive’ chairman and has told brawn he calls the shots?

Is this how you see it James? And if sois Lauda at risk of thoroughly alienating the team with what comes across as quite an arrogant view point of his position?

James Allen Reply:
January 24th, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I heard a story about the first meeting at Brackley between Lauda and Brawn. I cannot share it as it would violate a confidence.

But you can imagine."

http://www.jamesalle...d-im-in-charge/

Edited by pinkypants, 26 January 2013 - 12:36.

Advertisement

#2 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:37

He should stick to snapping photos or become a gossip columnist.

#3 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:55

Obviously it's just his opinion and interpretation of rumours, but it's interesting to hear something like that from a guy who must have contacts up-and-down the pit lane and has his ear firmly to the ground.

Lauda sounds like he may bring down Mercedes single-handed :well:

#4 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,348 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 13:40

sounds like some random busybody - is that the correct term - like most ppl on twitter anyway. so no surprise there.

#5 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 14:23

I honestly read "Darren Heath to Mercedes" first...

#6 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 14:58

I disagree with Heath on just about everything, alive and/or dead, with exception of his alleged comment, that it is mind boggling that Stuttgart went into bed with Lauda from all people. Last year when news came out, I also thought it's the end of civilization as we know it.

#7 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 15:20

Also what he is saying about Lauda is patently obvious unless you have only been following F1 for a few years ... everybody knows he's a douche.

I've been following him since the start of his career and I don't think so.

#8 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 15:22

You can differentiate between Lauda the driver and his post-driving career.

#9 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 15:31

Can this thread keep on topic. Posts have been removed.

#10 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 15:34

Pretty rich, Heath talking about the respect level of people like Haug in the paddock.
I'd like to hear somebody in the paddock comment on how much respect Heath has. Especially around the Merc garage.
All I seem to hear is him ragging on people. Has real issues with Schumacher, Haug and Lauda

Maybe just shut up and take nice pictures, Darren.

Edit: I used to think this guy was a god, back in the days of buying F1 Racing mag and being in awe of his work. But that was before the advent of social media, and we got to see his personality.
Now I think he's an egomaniacal cretin.

Edited by gm914, 26 January 2013 - 15:48.

#11 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 15:59

According to Heath's website

Clients include McLaren, Ferrari, Ford, Jaguar, BMW, Toyota, Philip Morris, British American Tobacco, Vodafone, Bridgestone, FIA, Henri Lloyd, Time, F1Racing, Car Graphic, F1 Sokuho, F1 Scene, Car, Top Gear, The Sunday Times, The Telegraph, The Observer, The Financial Times, The Sun, and Conde Nast Traveller.

Can you spot the big names that are missing ?

Will he be making comments about Red Bull next week?

I'd have thought there were plenty of photographers around and they keep their jobs by staying quiet on gossip.

Edited by Tonka, 26 January 2013 - 16:00.

#12 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:31

Darren Heath, from the "I have a great story, but I can't tell you" school of journalism. The same guy who thinks Alonso is a "lovable rogue" or some such nonsense. He should stick to pushing a button and keep his hole shut.

#13 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:33

He should stick to snapping photos or become a gossip columnist.

What's your problem? Don't like what your hearing?

#14 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:35

Can this thread keep on topic. Posts have been removed.

What exactly is the topic ... All I can see are posts about Heath and none about the veracity of what he said ...

#15 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:38

According to Heath's website

Can you spot the big names that are missing ?

Will he be making comments about Red Bull next week?

I'd have thought there were plenty of photographers around and they keep their jobs by staying quiet on gossip.

And that's what I hate. Everyone in F1 keeps quite for fear of losing their credentials. I like it when someone on the inside gives us their view\opinion. Bit sad when it does happen that so many whine about it.

#16 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:46

This is hardly a qualified opinion or any kind of insight.

#17 F1EC

F1EC

• 913 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:49

fair to say that he perhaps doesn't have the highest opinion of LH and Lauda!!

I couldn't see anything there that showed he doesn't have a high opinion of LH. Did I miss something?

#18 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:50

And that's what I hate. Everyone in F1 keeps quite for fear of losing their credentials. I like it when someone on the inside gives us their view\opinion. Bit sad when it does happen that so many whine about it.

Generally so do I Clatter. But the guy really seems to have deep-seeded agendas.

#19 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:52

This is hardly a qualified opinion or any kind of insight.

Does it have to be?

Advertisement

#20 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:54

Generally so do I Clatter. But the guy really seems to have deep-seeded agendas.

I suspect much of that depends on whether you like the message or not.

#21 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:55

I couldn't see anything there that showed he doesn't have a high opinion of LH. Did I miss something?

No ... he doesnt have a high opinion of LH (as a person) .... but I am fan of both.

#22 F1EC

F1EC

• 913 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:57

No ... he doesnt have a high opinion of LH (as a person) .... but I am fan of both.

I didn't see that from the OP's quotes.

#23 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:01

Heath hasn't written an article on his inside knowledge, he's making snide, one line remarks on twitter. If he were a journalist, he'd be treated like one by F1. Instead he's getting access to F1 on the assumption, he's not spending his time earwigging and then putting the boot into the sport that pays his wages. Making childish comments about Lewis Hamilton isn't doing a lot for his professional standing.

#24 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:01

I suspect much of that depends on whether you like the message or not.

Messages. I followed the guy on twitter for a while, way back. Got to the point where I'd say "Well that's a twatty thing to say..." on so many of his posts, over a whole range of topics, not just on his bias against certain people in the F1 paddock (whom I have no interest in defending).

I don't even think he means half the crap he writes. It's all self-promotion, I suspect.

#25 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:02

Just because some people doesn't like what Darren commented on their fav drivers, they tried to nullified his statement.

first of all, none of us have clearer idea than Darren whom blended in the paddock world in which 1st hand news are handed out fresh.

between darren and armchair expert, i will trust darren anytime.

#26 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:06

I didn't see that from the OP's quotes.

So what?

FWIW ... I sometimes tweet but I dont read anybody else's tweets :p

I am "old fashioned" ... I actually read his blog ... there are achives on the net. He only writes a few pages every month and you can trawl through the archives pretty quickly. He is a good writer ... very entertaining.

Edited by jjcale, 26 January 2013 - 17:30.

#27 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:14

Heath hasn't written an article on his inside knowledge, he's making snide, one line remarks on twitter. If he were a journalist, he'd be treated like one by F1. Instead he's getting access to F1 on the assumption, he's not spending his time earwigging and then putting the boot into the sport that pays his wages. Making childish comments about Lewis Hamilton isn't doing a lot for his professional standing.

In other words you think he should keep quite about anything negative. That's why we get to know so little about what's really going on.

#28 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:37

In other words you think he should keep quite about anything negative. That's why we get to know so little about what's really going on.

not anything though..just not tolerable on lewis part. Heartbreaking.

#29 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:43

This thread is about what Darren Heath said on twitter about Mercedes. This is not a discussion about the merits of Darren Heath himself (although I appreciate it does have some relevancy), however has anyone got an opinion about what he has tweeted?

Please stay on topic.

#30 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:44

not anything though..just not tolerable on lewis part. Heartbreaking.

So you get heartbroken because he says something you don't like about LH.

#31 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:59

Darren Heath's previous musings :rolleyes:

Of course, all around the world Schumacher is worshipped as a sporting great and his marketing power is the main reason Mercedes employs him. But just as the world is waking up to the mountain of evidence against seven-times Tour de France ‘winner’ Lance Armstrong, the seven-times F1 world champion cannot be surprised by those who doubt the legality of what went before.

His legion of fans will not hear any of it, of course, insisting that all is fair in the sporting arena and that Schumacher simply possessed more skill, hunger and derring-do than his rivals. Many still blindly insist he still does…

http://www.darrenhea...ow-when-fold-em

#32 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 18:07

Darren Heath's previous musings :rolleyes:

Oh dear what an idiot he is :rolleyes:

To compare what Lance did to anything Schumi has done is damn right stupid and disrespectful.

#33 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 18:11

Oh dear what an idiot he is :rolleyes:

To compare what Lance did to anything Schumi has done is damn right stupid and disrespectful.

taking drugs vs having best car, best budget, best tyre, unlimited fund for unlimited in season testing while other team couldnt afford the same, taking out direct opponent for title

i'm having tough time to find distinction between schumi and lance, as human factor is dominating in Lance 's field while car is crucial factor for Schumi.

Nice piece of illustration by Darren.

#34 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 18:33

Best budget isn't against the rules for a start?

Comparisons against Armstrong *are* stupid and provide the example of why these 'opinions' are only slightly above the utterings of some crazy person on the street.

#35 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 18:47

Best budget isn't against the rules for a start?

Comparisons against Armstrong *are* stupid and provide the example of why these 'opinions' are only slightly above the utterings of some crazy person on the street.

how about taking your title opponents out?? Having FIA backing on the reg until they get sicked and changed it in 2005??

#36 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 18:51

This thread is about what Darren Heath said on twitter about Mercedes. This is not a discussion about the merits of Darren Heath himself (although I appreciate it does have some relevancy), however has anyone got an opinion about what he has tweeted?

Please stay on topic.

His opinion/ inside knowledge of Lauda isn't exactly revelatory. But I do wonder what Haug did to offend him.

#37 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 18:54

His opinion/ inside knowledge of Lauda isn't exactly revelatory. But I do wonder what Haug did to offend him.

Had the gall to hire Schumacher, presumably.

#38 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 18:55

taking drugs vs having best car, best budget, best tyre, unlimited fund for unlimited in season testing while other team couldnt afford the same, taking out direct opponent for title

i'm having tough time to find distinction between schumi and lance, as human factor is dominating in Lance 's field while car is crucial factor for Schumi.

Nice piece of illustration by Darren.

Oh yes get your point. Ferrari cheated and did something illegal because they had more money :lol: Please turn down the jury service if you were ever offered the chance.

#39 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 19:09

Obviously it's just his opinion and interpretation of rumours, but it's interesting to hear something like that from a guy who must have contacts up-and-down the pit lane and has his ear firmly to the ground.

Lauda sounds like he may bring down Mercedes single-handed :well:

I'd like to see his ear even more firmly on the ground, preferably the apex of turn 13, Albert Park, and preferably on a Sunday afternoon, he has more agendas than the AGM of Exxon-Mobil.

Advertisement

#40 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 654 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 19:12

Whilst Heath does seem to hold grudges for some reason, I do wonder what Mercedes were on when they decided that Lauda would just be the person to deliver them success...
I once worked with a guy who'd done some high level H.R consultancy for Jaguar F1 just after the Lauda era, and he basically found that everybody was breathing a sigh of relief that he'd departed. My colleague said that the impression he got was Lauda's management style wouldn't have been out of place in a Victorian workhouse...

#41 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 19:15

Whilst Heath does seem to hold grudges for some reason, I do wonder what Mercedes were on when they decided that Lauda would just be the person to deliver them success...
I once worked with a guy who'd done some high level H.R consultancy for Jaguar F1 just after the Lauda era, and he basically found that everybody was breathing a sigh of relief that he'd departed. My colleague said that the impression he got was Lauda's management style wouldn't have been out of place in a Victorian workhouse...

I heard the same thing about Helmut Marko. Did not stop them winning which is what its all about.

#42 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 19:17

I wonder what motivation will be like at Mercedes mid-way through the season amongst staff members under Lauda's reign.....

#43 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:34

I wonder what motivation will be like at Mercedes mid-way through the season amongst staff members under Lauda's reign.....

I don't think Nikki is involved in the day to day running of the team, i suspect the only people who have to deal with him are the senior management like Ross and Nick Fry.

#44 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:36

I don't think Nikki is involved in the day to day running of the team, i suspect the only people who have to deal with him are the senior management like Ross and Nick Fry.

The decisions of the man who steers the ship affects the lives of those down below.

Edited by JRizzle86, 27 January 2013 - 11:36.

#45 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:42

The decisions of the man who steers the ship affects the lives of those down below.

Isn't Ross the person "steering the ship", Nikki is just the guy on the radio reporting back to shore, although he appears to be fighting over the radio controls with Toto!

#46 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:53

http://formula-one.s...le/cooper-niki...

So, if that is to be believed...

Lauda comes in because Mercedes were struggling to negotiate with Bernie.

They get rid of Haug, whilst a nice bloke wasn't getting the results. Wolff comes in to buy the old aabar stake in the business - less exposure for Merc themselves.
Meanwhile he brings strong commercial skills.

Meanwhile Brawn just carries on doing his job, because he isn't interested in the commercial/business side of things.

Somewhere along the line someone sounds Lowe out as a potential successor to Brawn (personally I don't see how - team principal & tech director are two different jobs imho).

Brawn has fired a warning shot to Merc / Lauda / Wolff - "give me what I want to run the team or I walk". Hence no long term commitment. I've had the impression for a while that Brawn isn't getting what he thinks he needs to make the team successful. If all this is true he sees the re-org as a chance to get what he wants.

The thing is that none of the media have any hard information about whats going on - they're just guessing. There are several people going on about Lauda's man management style - but has anyone asserted that he's actually directly managing anyone ? He is apparently a non executive board member, the way I see it he's there to keep Merc/Bernie happy while everyone else gets on with the racing.

Far as Heath is concerned, I think he just likes the sound of his own voice. I saw a interview with him about photography and he seemed quite up himself.

Edited by Crafty, 27 January 2013 - 11:54.

#47 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:33

What I am hearing on these pages is, that if things go right, it is because Brawn is steering the ship. He is the king. if however things do not pan out well, than it's only because Brawn did not get all what he wanted. To change pace of discussion a bit, methinks if Mr. Brawn is not getting what he wants, he can walk out instead beating his head against wall. Point is, he is still there.

#48 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 16:43

You know, he is gossiping and appears to like it, but inherently what he's written is opinion and he has a right to it as much as anyone else. The only thing strange about it to me is that apparently he does not fear being ostracized for it. I disagree with him on a number of things - Schumacher sucking, of course... but it's interesting in that he is, IMO, a truly great photographer and I wonder if either the paddock completely respects him in that sense to yield carte blanch freedom to say what he wants?

It would seem people would be at this juncture "oh, there's Darren, shut up", or he'd think "I don't want people to become mum around me"?

Lauda does seem to be a loose cannon in a sense, and a strange factor in the Mercedes equation. He didn't really say anything wrong about LH?

As a side note, though: Heath's position in F1 is almost something of "Corporate Spy". I know he's employed by McLaren, technically, but at the same time - what we do know is that he stumbled upon the "brake balance pedal" saga, and I'm with him on hearing the TC sound at certain places from RedBull. *We don't know what he either notices and is either paid to not discuss, or uses as currency for himself*.

He's got the most fun job in F1. He's paid to take pictures, and just roam around. It's fun enough to start things here and see it make it into the "F1 Zeitgeist" (Michelin contact patch controversy, Schumacher automatic gear shift, RedBull floppy wing, TC sounds, etc.), but he must see things at the track constantly that escape both the tv viewer at home AND the teams relegated to the paddock. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Heath isn't walking around with many a Secret, and that would result in his sort of.... "the character Kyomi in Kurosawa's _Ran_" attitude, of being able to poke at The Powerful with insight without fear of retribution.

Whatever. I hate having used the word zeitgeist now, and really think this thread should be on the topic of "Should Darren Heath be a cinematographer for a Disney Star Wars movie?"...

#49 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 16:48

You know, he is gossiping and appears to like it, but inherently what he's written is opinion and he has a right to it as much as anyone else. The only thing strange about it to me is that apparently he does not fear being ostracized for it. I disagree with him on a number of things - Schumacher sucking, of course... but it's interesting in that he is, IMO, a truly great photographer and I wonder if either the paddock completely respects him in that sense to yield carte blanch freedom to say what he wants?

It would seem people would be at this juncture "oh, there's Darren, shut up", or he'd think "I don't want people to become mum around me"?

Lauda does seem to be a loose cannon in a sense, and a strange factor in the Mercedes equation. He didn't really say anything wrong about LH?

As a side note, though: Heath's position in F1 is almost something of "Corporate Spy". I know he's employed by McLaren, technically, but at the same time - what we do know is that he stumbled upon the "brake balance pedal" saga, and I'm with him on hearing the TC sound at certain places from RedBull. *We don't know what he either notices and is either paid to not discuss, or uses as currency for himself*.

He's got the most fun job in F1. He's paid to take pictures, and just roam around. It's fun enough to start things here and see it make it into the "F1 Zeitgeist" (Michelin contact patch controversy, Schumacher automatic gear shift, RedBull floppy wing, TC sounds, etc.), but he must see things at the track constantly that escape both the tv viewer at home AND the teams relegated to the paddock. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Heath isn't walking around with many a Secret, and that would result in his sort of.... "the character Kyomi in Kurosawa's _Ran_" attitude, of being able to poke at The Powerful with insight without fear of retribution.

Whatever. I hate having used the word zeitgeist now, and really think this thread should be on the topic of "Should Darren Heath be a cinematographer for a Disney Star Wars movie?"...

love him or hate him, he knows alot more on F1 than we armchair expert do.

As James Allen hinted, there are some truth know only by paddock members. And they all have obligation to kept it to themselve to avoid troubles.

#50 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 16:55

Twitter is doing its thing. People should get used to it.